In game ranks would do wonders at keeping the population up, so expect them to incorporate that as a higher priority than making the core game competitive with a decent skill gap.

It's tough to say what would have benefited halo more, in game ranks, or the options to remove sprint and other changes we were hoping for.

I can't remember who implemented it first, but I remember shadowrun being the first game to not have any leaderboards or ranks. No progression, no nothing. It was to prevent people from cheating, but it also loses some incentive to play for most players. However, the core of the game is so solid, that it retains a player base on that principle alone. I would feel completely safe saying that Halo 4's population will go down significantly with future releases, and wouldn't be surprised if the numbers looked like shadowrun.

How many more tournaments do you think Halo 4 has? Shadowrun will most likely have 4-8 tournaments over the next year, with a bunch of smaller misc tournaments in between. Halo CE will continue to have tournaments forever as far as I'm concerned. Some players dish out at least $1,000 just to travel to play halo CE a year. People will drive 6+ hours to a LAN not even a tournament. Why? The core of the game is amazing.

I don't give a fuck about being greedy, so for me Core > Ranks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't get the huge fuss over ingame ranks. If the base game sucks, ranks will be meaningless. For example, Arena when it still had Jetpacks and Vanilla settings.

They're important, but not as important as a good game.

Agreed. Ranks doesn't make the game okay. It would help game play cause more people are trying but the core would still suck.

Motivation to play, I didn't like Halo 3 as much as Halo 2 but ranks made me get on.

Arena had a terrible ranking system too.

So ranks are more important than actual gameplay to you?

Arena was win/loss. It just took longer to get placed, and your rank was reset every 3 months.

I don't get the huge fuss over ingame ranks. If the base game sucks, ranks will be meaningless. For example, Arena when it still had Jetpacks and Vanilla settings.

They're important, but not as important as a good game.

Arena was such a huge miss. If it had been W/L and had solid settings and maps from the start as well as an Objective offering it would have been much more popular, I think.

Arena was win/loss. It just took longer to get placed, and your rank was reset every 3 months.

Obviously not, considering he still stated that he liked Halo 2 better, but like everyone said, it gives you incentive to play. Though I disliked Halo Reach, I probably would've played it more if it had in-game ranks, not because it's a good game, but because I personally like seeing how I fare against other players.Games with "skill-grinds" tend to outlast those without. If gives you something to work towards whenever you pop in the game. Experience points don't really give the same effect because there's no consequence. Leaderboards and in-game ranking >>>. I'm really competitive and like "being the best" at things I do, but Arena didn't fill the niche because I never played enough to even get ranked in the playlist and when I did, it was stupid.

So in all honesty, in-game ranks was the difference between my playing until 2012 or trading it in a month after release.

I traded it in. :frankerz:

I never said that, I'm just saying why they are important overall. (responding to your "I don't get the huge fuss over ingame ranks")

With games we shouldn't have to pick between good gameplay and ranks, games should have both.

I never said that, I'm just saying why they are important overall. (responding to your "I don't get the huge fuss over ingame ranks")

With games we shouldn't have to pick between good gameplay and ranks, games should have both.

We should have both, and it would be very nice to have both.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Obviously not, considering he still stated that he liked Halo 2 better, but like everyone said, it gives you incentive to play. Though I disliked Halo Reach, I probably would've played it more if it had in-game ranks, not because it's a good game, but because I personally like seeing how I fare against other players.Games with "skill-grinds" tend to outlast those without. If gives you something to work towards whenever you pop in the game. Experience points don't really give the same effect because there's no consequence. Leaderboards and in-game ranking >>>. I'm really competitive and like "being the best" at things I do, but Arena didn't fill the niche because I never played enough to even get ranked in the playlist and when I did, it was stupid.

So in all honesty, in-game ranks was the difference between my playing until 2012 or trading it in a month after release.

I traded it in. :frankerz:

Whaaaaaat? No way. Reach was absolutely terrible. Worse Halo in the series. Bloom, shit melee system, AAs, maps.

Maybe for you ranks makes you keep playing a shitty game, but I don't see how being a 50 at flipping a coin means anything to someone.

I really wouldn't blame it on "intelligence" but rather knowledge/experience with the game.

I mean, the BR *is* easier to use at close-midrange than the DMR, but the DMR is easier to use at long range, and it takes a certain level of experience with the game to determine which is easier *overall*.

I mean, the stats above show only like a 5% difference- the DMR and BR are actually rather close in skill it takes to use.

I wouldn't call people who said that the DMR was easier to use "stupid",  just less-informed/less-experienced.

GG kid :gandhi:

Whaaaaaat? No way. Reach was absolutely terrible. Worse Halo in the series. Bloom, shit melee system, AAs, maps.

Maybe for you ranks makes you keep playing a shitty game, but I don't see how being a 50 at flipping a coin means anything to someone.

It surely makes me more likely to keep playing than playing the same nutheads over and over in team slayer. If Halo 4 hadn't changed it's ranking system so I can at least find half-way competent players in bigger playlists, I probably wouldn't have kept playing. H4GC showed me that with the hilarity that was that playlist. You were often playing Rumble Slayer against 6 children with no hands and one guy that actually knew how to hold a controller.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When is the most likely probability of seeing a snip of Halo 5?  Next summer at E3?

We first saw Halo 4 in action in like March 2012.

Reach was shown around that same time if memory serves.

Just saw that vid cause of your post and.....wtf did i just watch

Lmao, the Neighbor dance had me in tears. 

So why did makeitstop get banned?

He kept spamming giant dicks intro everyone at Beyond chat and making alt to keep doing it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eyo, did I grab top comment doe? :saucey:

Yeah, lol. That's how I saw it. :P I shook my head irl. <.<

Sold my h4 disc for $28

Pretty happy with that I must say

You got a deal.  

So far, I feel ripped off from MS for buying all the H4 maps to only allowed to play just two.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a question for anyone who claws:

Do you only claw for fps games, or all games in general?

Always wondered.