Recently finished season 1 of The Mandalorian.  The Halo TV show is going to have a hard time competing with it.  Disney’s offering seems to address a lot of the problems that arise with Master Chief as the main character.  How do you get the audience to identify with a faceless, emotionless, near invincible, near mute protagonist?  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Recently finished season 1 of The Mandalorian.  The Halo TV show is going to have a hard time competing with it.  Disney’s offering seems to address a lot of the problems that arise with Master Chief as the main character.  How do you get the audience to identify with a faceless, emotionless, near invincible, near mute protagonist?  

By omitting the whole maskless part. Simply follow the books, or go follow a different set of characters on a different story path.

I don't necessarily know if the show has to get the audience to identify with Chief. Halo is ultimately the story about the near mythical savior of humanity, right? I think leaning into how humanity arrives at such reverence for one person is a more interesting angle than Chief's own intrapersonal struggles. Spartans went from quasi-oppressive enforcers of an imperialistic military regime to saving the world. Play up the difficulties humanity has in embracing Spartans. Emphasize how desperate humanity is after Reach. Then lead into the insane stunts that Chief pulls to save the world, with a focus on bystanders' perspectives of his heroism (using bystanders loosely here—maybe create some soldier who fights alongside Chief, who is initially skeptical/fearful of Spartans, through which we can watch events of the Trilogy unfold). Get people to identify with humanity, not Chief.

But I'm also just one guy. Maybe people do want to see more of the "machine or human" exploration.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Fair, I can see that similarity. I wouldn't want it to be solely focused on those alternative perspectives like Forward Unto Dawn was—I'd still want it to track pretty closely with the story of the actual Trilogy.

(I also wouldn't want it to be so young adulty and would hope the acting crew is better)

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone have an LG OLED TV? Been thinking of getting one when I upgrade to next gen. 

2 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Anyone have an LG OLED TV? Been thinking of getting one when I upgrade to next gen. 

If you're doing it specifically for Next-Gen look for a TV that supports HDMI 2.1.

4 hours ago, -DeucEy- said:

If you're doing it specifically for Next-Gen look for a TV that supports HDMI 2.1.

Will do. I was looking at the CX model which supports 2.1. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just re-read some of my posts from back in the early 2010s. I was hella toxic at times. I am sorry to anybody I was a pretentious asshole to. I took this game way too seriously and acted like a shithead at times. Hard cringe at some of the stuff I said. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:01 AM, Boyo said:

Some old Halo shirts.  

jmVaZ81_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gr

LbGozMa_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gr

Q7wzId1_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gr

I will pay a ridiculous price for either that H3 or Reach shirt. Holla back, deadass serious.

Finally got around to playing The Last of Us. Genuinely don't get the hype. It was a good game but nowhere near the "transformative storytelling experience" everyone claims it to be.

Stop cutting the slice unnecessarily small.

Taken to its extreme, there is only one playlist per player count, mixing slayer and objective into one hopper.  

fill players get bonus xp

Aside from the three playlists, 4v4, 6v6, and 9v9, there is a mercenary playlist.  You can search with a party but there is no guarantee you’ll be put on the same team.  Mercenary can place you and your party into a match in any of the three available playlists.  

vote for series after match

An official “Run it back” mechanic.  I love it.  

more xp for quicker objective matches

7 second cap.  

hide kill death ratio in objective

Replace kill death with a lethality score in obj gametypes.  Kills in objective do not affect slayer stats.

Filter custom game browser

A cartographer-like group of players with a contact at 343 that could give certain lobbies a badge that makes them appear in a prominent position in the custom game browser.  This could help sub communities grow around certain servers.  

xp in customs

These approved lobbies could give xp like matchmaking, where most lobbies would give small amounts of xp that tops out at 15 minutes like you said.  

@Hard Way

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Tyco said:

I'm getting spammed by a lot obtrusive ads now on mobile, what gives?

Hard times on beyond. Chief doesn't pay the bills anymore. 

15 hours ago, The Tyco said:

Same

18 hours ago, The Tyco said:

Yeah me too, included it in my post in the infinite thread, but edited it away beacuse I figured it was my mobile adblocker needing updating. I'll take ads if the site needs it, but they are a bit much currently.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Finally got around to playing The Last of Us. Genuinely don't get the hype. It was a good game but nowhere near the "transformative storytelling experience" everyone claims it to be.

Dude it’s probably not your cup of tea. 

21 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude it’s probably not your cup of tea. 

I liked the game fine. I guess I was just expecting . . . more? I think I would have enjoyed it more if my expectations hadn't been so high going into it.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:45 AM, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I liked the game fine. I guess I was just expecting . . . more? I think I would have enjoyed it more if my expectations hadn't been so high going into it.

Ok what were you expecting specifically like the story is good to many sooo it’s either your taste are bad, or like you said too high. 

14 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Ok what were you expecting specifically like the story is good to many sooo it’s either your taste are bad, or like you said too high. 

That's just it: it was a great story, but the hype around the game was that it was some sort of transformative storytelling experience. I believe a few outlets have even referred to it as "the game that saved single-player campaigns." After playing it, I'm not sure how it generated that level of hype.