Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Damn someone took mine and rockers rep away lol. 

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/gi98hq/til_in_2007_when_halo_3_released_it_broke_records/

“Not to mention the crazy things they added like forge. It was the first game ever where you literally couldnt run out of new games and maps to play. And then there was the file share where anyone could look you up and check out your social media page on halo that sick pics, videos, maps, and game modes. Like c'mon halo had it's own in game social media. It was so amazing. 

Peak gaming.”

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, Boyo said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/gi98hq/til_in_2007_when_halo_3_released_it_broke_records/

“Not to mention the crazy things they added like forge. It was the first game ever where you literally couldnt run out of new games and maps to play. And then there was the file share where anyone could look you up and check out your social media page on halo that sick pics, videos, maps, and game modes. Like c'mon halo had it's own in game social media. It was so amazing. 

Peak gaming.”

Halo didn't invent any of that stuff though

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

Halo didn't invent any of that stuff though

Point me towards the game that had built-in fileshare before H3.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

I read first couple paragraphs of the entries, and I could barely understand it. It sounds like the first one was a form of theater that records all the inputs made by the user, but I honestly have no idea what the second one was. I'm admittedly ignorant on the subject, but I'm skeptical that vanilla Doom launched, from the developer, with a system and UI within the game to allow users to create and share their own content with other users.  I don't doubt such things are available today, because I know Doom has been modded to the moon and back, but did Id do it at launch? Or at all?

This whole back and forth could be simplified by me just clarifying that I was talking about console games anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

I read first couple paragraphs of the entries, and I could barely understand it. It sounds like the first one was a form of theater that records all the inputs made by the user, but I honestly have no idea what the second one was. I'm admittedly ignorant on the subject, but I'm skeptical that vanilla Doom launched, from the developer, with a system and UI within the game to allow users to create and share their own content with other users.  I don't doubt such things are available today, because I know Doom has been modded to the moon and back, but did Id do it at launch? Or at all?

This whole back and forth could be simplified by me just clarifying that I was talking about console games anyways.

Well if you want to talk console games Farcry had a map maker infinity better than Forge before H3 came out.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

Well if you want to talk console games Farcry had a map maker infinity better than Forge before H3 came out.

That's why I specified Fileshare.

Edit: I had some experience with Far Cry Instincts: Predator. It was my first 360 game and I played the living shit out of it (1000/1000 GS :cool:). I spent many hours trying to make a Longest remake (it sucked). I remember you could browse for maps, but I don't remember if you could select someone's name and look at all the maps they've published. I didn't spend a ton of time playing UGC, so I don't remember. If you could, I'd concede my point, because that would probably qualify as a fileshare. But custom map browser is still just a custom map browser.

Why Longest? Fair question. Because in the fall of 2005, it was the only Halo map I could think of that didn't have teleporters or grav lifts.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, Boyo said:

"It was the first game ever where you literally couldnt run out of new games and maps to play. "

I'm thoroughly convinced no one on gaming related reddits is older than 14.

Wasn't gonna say it but then Jake posted so yeah.

Quake and DooM have had mods since the beginning.  I don't know that they launched with demos (like 90% sure they did) but either way its been a commonly used feature WAY before Halo 3.  I can easily find demo files from the 90's.

I mean no there isn't some in-game UI for it but sites like Doomworld have been around for ages too.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2020 at 6:43 AM, Hard Way said:

My God r/halo is trash. I browse it during downtimes in class every few days, and it’s always such low-effort garbage. I mean it’s shit like, “I love this cutscene”, and people upvote it. Or “look at my shitty Arbiter doodle.“

There’s never an interesting discussion thread. There’s never a good clip. It’s always like “My cousin and me just beat legendary for the first time.” Bro, no one fucking cares. I go through and do downvote therapy on all the garbage every few days. It’s disheartening to see what the average Halo fan really is.

I loved yesterday's post "if you skip on Infinite if it has sprint you're not a real Halo fan". 5k upvotes if I remember correctly. 

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2020 at 12:43 AM, Hard Way said:

My God r/halo is trash. I browse it during downtimes in class every few days, and it’s always such low-effort garbage. I mean it’s shit like, “I love this cutscene”, and people upvote it. Or “look at my shitty Arbiter doodle.“

There’s never an interesting discussion thread. There’s never a good clip. It’s always like “My cousin and me just beat legendary for the first time.” Bro, no one fucking cares. I go through and do downvote therapy on all the garbage every few days. It’s disheartening to see what the average Halo fan really is.

If r/Halo is representative of what the average Halo fan is like then I'm surprised that Halo didn't fade into complete irrelevancy half a decade ago. 

There's gotta be AT LEAST 8 separate posts I've made about hit reg, networking, map rotation, etc. that get buried under a bunch of stupid shit that no one gives a fuck about. It's always dumb fluff like campaign fuckery, random stuff in infection, cutscenes, or low effort drawings that make the rounds on that cesspool. 

The place is a giant mantrain of infection kids who are allergic to the slightest discussion of anything even remotely competitive and people who consider themselves authorities on MCC when they play 1-2 hours of MCC a week. 

It's like screaming into a wall, except that the wall's a TV that occasionally plays mediocre infection overkill clips in response. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

@_Synapse, I find most people that love Halo but are terrible at it, tend to be huge Melvins.

One of the main character traits about a Melvin is deep insecurity. He cannot be wrong, ever, and tends to live in denial towards people that do the same things they do, but better.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, _Synapse said:

If r/Halo is representative of what the average Halo fan is like then I'm surprised that Halo didn't fade into complete irrelevancy half a decade ago. 

There's gotta be AT LEAST 8 separate posts I've made about hit reg, networking, map rotation, etc. that get buried under a bunch of stupid shit that no one gives a fuck about. It's always dumb fluff like campaign fuckery, random stuff in infection, cutscenes, or low effort drawings that make the rounds on that cesspool. 

The place is a giant mantrain of infection kids who are allergic to the slightest discussion of anything even remotely competitive and people who consider themselves authorities on MCC when they play 1-2 hours of MCC a week. 

It's like screaming into a wall, except that the wall's a TV that occasionally plays mediocre infection overkill clips in response. 

There's still r/Competitive/Halo, though predictably, it doesn't see much action.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Arena1999 said:

There's still r/Competitive/Halo, though predictably, it doesn't see much action.

CompetitiveHalo is good, there's a small community there but they're at least semi-active

Share this post


Link to post

Haven't really posted on this forum for a while so idk if this is the best topic to post this in.

I get in Twitter arguments with idiots about Halo sometimes, I legit think it's bad for my mental health knowing how clueless some of these people are. I hate 343 so much and the army of kids who defend them just because they make Halo annoy me way too much lol. If I claim anything I actually can source it to back up my claims and shit, usually they just stop replying in that case or resort to other stupid arguments non surprisingly. They usually say bullshit facts I can easily disprove, one guy just claimed H5 was the most played Halo lmao, he also said it made the most money and sent a link that included console sales. I was in middle school when H3 came out and just about everyone with an Xbox was playing it, these days I don't think any of them even play halo anymore. Claiming H5 is the most played halo might be the dumbest thing I've ever read from a casual. I also get in arguments over sprint sometimes but that pisses me off even more, I really need to unfollow every twitter account that attracts these people.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone has made a post that generally proves why H4/5 suck, examples of why the new mechanics suck for halo, examples of 343's many lies, population data, etc. I sometimes get the urge to write a borderline essay that goes over almost everything that I can simply link to people instead of having to argue. We really need one of those but I don't feel like going through all of the effort, I'll just get sad writing it after how bad the state of halo and it's community (like the cesspool r/halo) has gotten.

Share this post


Link to post

@Bdog Instead of focusing on all the negative, why not devote the energy you spend on Halo to thinking about how it could be better?  

Share this post


Link to post

If there's one place you'll never change anyone's mind it's Twitter.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Boyo said:

@Bdog Instead of focusing on all the negative, why not devote the energy you spend on Halo to thinking about how it could be better?  

But how could I when 343 doesn’t listen to anything we say? It’s one thing if they listened to feedback but we know Infinite will very likely be trash. I have zero faith in them and the cycle will just continue. A trailer for Infinite will probably release soon and everyone will lose their shit regardless of quality or a lack of gameplay shown. Kids that just play the campaign will defend the game because it has Halo in its name. It will probably die quickly because it will suck yet they’ll pretend it’s the best halo yet. I’d love to be optimistic but there’s no point. 
 

4 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I usually just link Favyn vids

I think I’ve watched a couple in the past. I’ll revisit them but it would be great to have someone address why the general state of halo was ruined by 343. I also just had the idiot I was talking about link something about microtransactions to try to help his argument. Goddamn I hate these people. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bdog said:

But how could I when 343 doesn’t listen to anything we say? It’s one thing if they listened to feedback but we know Infinite will very likely be trash. I have zero faith in them and the cycle will just continue. A trailer for Infinite will probably release soon and everyone will lose their shit regardless of quality or a lack of gameplay shown. Kids that just play the campaign will defend the game because it has Halo in its name. It will probably die quickly because it will suck yet they’ll pretend it’s the best halo yet. I’d love to be optimistic but there’s no point. 
 

I think I’ve watched a couple in the past. I’ll revisit them but it would be great to have someone address why the general state of halo was ruined by 343. I also just had the idiot I was talking about link something about microtransactions to try to help his argument. Goddamn I hate these people. 

Tommy Kost has a video on that subject.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2020 at 8:00 PM, Boyo said:

@Bdog Instead of focusing on all the negative, why not devote the energy you spend on Halo to thinking about how it could be better?  

The problem is how niche this forum is. Other than r/CompetitiveHalo and TB, I can't think of any other section that houses the more analytical side of the Halo community. Besides, 343i would rather listen to the more populated Waypoint forums or r/Halo than us, anyway.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't normally double posts (especially to bump threads), but Knights of the Old Republic is some of Bioware's best work.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.