Apropo Timesplitters. Game had so many game modes/features/content/variety no other game can really touch that. It's a Burnout of FPS games.

I got a feeling game like that wouldn't get released nowdays without companies trying to monetize a lot of that content.

Never played that sorry. Missed N64 and never got into remaster. So, campaign, multiplayer, level editor, challenges (glass, zombies etc), unlocks, bots, tons of maps, PD had it all before Time Splitters ?

I returned CoD WWII last night.  I was having all kinds of issues joining games and the aiming felt pretty awful. To be honest, when it comes to casual FPS, I'd rather play D2 over the new CoD. The aiming feels way better and the game as a whole is more polished IMO. Everything about CoD felt clunky and buggy. And the campaign was not the most impressive either.  Cut scene after cut scene with scripted linear maps. 

Yes. Many people from the GoldenEye/Perfect Dark team emigrated from Rare sometime around 1998 or '99 before the game's initial release in 2000 - the same year the first Timesplitters game was released. The entire game was waaay ahead of its time, the only thing refuting that fact is the framerate, but I'm used to it. I even think the N64 version is more aesthetically pleasing than the HD remaster.

As for Perfect Dark Zero... the game's content was lackluster, in comparison to what the original game was able to accomplish on an 8MB cartridge. No A.I. Co-op, no Counter-Agent mode, you can't earn cheats by speedrunning through levels because cheats aren't in the game, the weapon sandbox is bland, limited, and uninspiring. It also doesn't have Combat Simulator challenges, there is no open-world Carrington Institute for Joanna to practice her training sessions (i.e. unlocking 8 GoldenEye weapons by getting gold stars in the Shooting Range), and many more. The last time I played PDZ was in June, and before that, it was around December 2015; @@FarSight XR~20 can feel you in with the details about how much of a disappointment it was as a prequel.

This is a lengthy rant, but I feel I need to express my disappointment with the game. I hated how slow and sluggish Joanna felt, the aiming system puts Halo 5's heaviness to shame, recurring characters are badly portrayed, and the anime-esque art style was just stupid and out of place - at least when Bungie experimented with Halo's art style with Reach, everything was still recognizable.

Responded on my phone but I guess it didn't go through.

Yeah I meant strictly multiplayer customization options, like settings mutators etc. Even still thats what I was told, and I never got to experience that for myself. In regards to actual game content it's unbelievable how much that game had. I was convinced to play the co-op campaign with a friend who I played the N64 version with. The moment the game started up and I heard the dumb music, I laughed. It felt so out of place for me coming back to the PD world. Was Joanna a punk rebellious teen all of a sudden? I thought PDN64's story was great even though it was somewhat simple. Like they didn't go in depth to explain everything but I felt the actual maps and gameplay helped with the actual telling of the story.

What I liked about PDZ was playing the story with a friend, and being able to play on a higher difficulty that added additional objectives and promoted a tactical approach. Overall, I just miss that. It didn't do anything better than PDN64, but it was refreshing to go back and try something like that. Art style, weapons, levels, everything I just couldn't get into. What an amazing world they had with PD... they decided to trash that for no reason I can come up with. Even the concept of Joanna Dark was awesome. She WAS the female BOND. PDZ she seemed like a punk chick that would whine or something. I get it's a prequel so it's not going to be futuristic, but if I'm not mistaken PD wasn't ever set that far in the future to begin with.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Never played that sorry. Missed N64 and never got into remaster. So, campaign, multiplayer, level editor, challenges (glass, zombies etc), unlocks, bots, tons of maps, PD had it all before Time Splitters ?

No level editor, but that's pretty much the only thing PD is missing. It took GE as a base and added:

Hub area

Basic real-time lighting

Full voice acting

Motion blur when punched or poisoned

Night vision

X-ray vision

Secondary functions on nearly all weapons

Disarming

Cloaking

Stealth objectives

Co-op/Counter-op campaign

Challenges (basic setups, but with decent variety and definitely challenging)

Up to 8 bots (12 players total), each with customizable difficulty and personality, can be given commands.

6 individually configurable weapon slots per stage

Timer in HUD (campaign)

Turn one-hit-kill on and off (multiplayer)

Highlight players and pickups (multiplayer)

Soundtrack playlist (multiplayer)

Training and firing range

The kitchen sink, pretty much. :P

@@Hard Way What settings would you recommend for reverse tag FFA? Radar on? I picked up an OG Xbox this week and am trying to come up with some fun side gametypes so it’s not just normal Slayer. Already made 400% SWAT which is dope af

Oh yeah H1 SWAT is excellent. I went to an H1 LAN one time where I discovered after getting there that they only play no shields gametypes. I was disappointed, but I stuck it out and ended up having a blast anyways.

FFA Reverse Tag huh? I think the Nav is enough info tbh. I know it’s not the H1 purist opinion, but I just fucking hate H1 radar. The radius covers most of the map and you can’t move without showing on it. I’d keep it off.

Just be careful what map you use. You want to avoid areas that are really easy to hold like the tunnel on Hang Em or Top Port on Rat Race bc I’ve had both of those ruin games. Two-way portals can be stupid too for gametypes like this, namely Battle Creek. It’s not terribly effective, but the constant portal hopping that inevitably occurs is annoying.

Do you have Final/NHE? That increases your viable maps drastically.

Also, if you’re looking for a solid side gametype, give FFA Kill In Order Snipers on Hang Em High a shot. Super fun.

Once a LAN my group plays this gametype we made up called James Game (named after the worst player to ever attend one of our LANs). The idea behind it was to simulate what it would be like to play like James, so everyone switches to Legacy Southpaw sticks, Jumpy button layout, switches their inversion, and plays on 10 sens. Then we play FFA Snipers on Chiron. Dude, the whole room is laughing so hard they’re crying by the end of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ohhhh, are we shitting on PDZ? My turn!

Ok, before I even start, everyone needs to remember that this was the highest profile launch title for the 360. That makes everything sooo much worse.

So...let’s set aside for a minute how PDZ pisses on the PD universe and lore and basically has nothing to do with it. Let’s just pretend it’s an original IP.

The only thing it has going for it is it’s mission structure. I REALLY miss that style of FPS campaign. But honestly that’s the end of my praise. People forget how truly shit this game was.

First of all, and most importantly, this game’s controls were hands down the WORST controls I have EVER played in an FPS. You think H5 has bad aiming? You haven’t seen anything yet. PDZ aiming is at least 10x worse. I’m not exaggerating. If your target was not on the same horizontal plane as you and they were moving, you were not going to land consistent shots on them, period. And even if they were on the same plane, the game added this idiotic dodge roll that broke RR and for some reason made your name disappear over your head, and the animation looks like you died. But then they’d spring back up and shoot at you while you’re trying to steer your bus of a crosshair back onto him. It was so dogshit. It’s easier to aim a real life forklift than it is to aim in PDZ.

The movement was no better. You were slow as fuck, and only got slower as you carried heavier weapons. But you could hit down on DPad or some shit and put away your gun and run around with your fists and your speed practically doubled. It was so dumb, especially in MP.

Then you get into MP, and the shit tier maps were organized in this confusing A Half, B Half bullshit, and if you wanted to play the whole map it was fucking huge. But the worst part was the ducking announcer. Hoooooly shit was he bad. If you were playing a mode with respawns like TDM or CTF (not the Dark Ops CS rip-off mode with the British chick announcer) it had this cartoony af announcer that must be heard to be believed. I can’t do it justice. If you can find a soundboard or YouTube video you owe it to yourself to hear this fucking guy. The ones I remember are “Teeeeam Killerrrrrr!!!” and the one for something like a 20 spree “Killaconcarnaggggggeee!!!!” It was the epitome of cringe.

Yeah. Fuck PDZ.

• Upvote (+1) 2

ENEEMAAAY FLAAAAAHG CYAPTURED

MONDO KILL-LAASSSSO

Thank you for introducing me to this.  "Kill-harmonic Orchestra" what the shit lol.

It's like the announcer is trying as hard as possible to sound like a stereotypical early 90's dudebro.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh yeah H1 SWAT is excellent. I went to an H1 LAN one time where I discovered after getting there that they only play no shields gametypes. I was disappointed, but I stuck it out and ended up having a blast anyways.

FFA Reverse Tag huh? I think the Nav is enough info tbh. I know it’s not the H1 purist opinion, but I just fucking hate H1 radar. The radius covers most of the map and you can’t move without showing on it. I’d keep it off.

Just be careful what map you use. You want to avoid areas that are really easy to hold like the tunnel on Hang Em or Top Port on Rat Race bc I’ve had both of those ruin games. Two-way portals can be stupid too for gametypes like this, namely Battle Creek. It’s not terribly effective, but the constant portal hopping that inevitably occurs is annoying.

Do you have Final/NHE? That increases your viable maps drastically.

Also, if you’re looking for a solid side gametype, give FFA Kill In Order Snipers on Hang Em High a shot. Super fun.

Once a LAN my group plays this gametype we made up called James Game (named after the worst player to ever attend one of our LANs). The idea behind it was to simulate what it would be like to play like James, so everyone switches to Legacy Southpaw sticks, Jumpy button layout, switches their inversion, and plays on 10 sens. Then we play FFA Snipers on Chiron. Dude, the whole room is laughing so hard they’re crying by the end of it.

I'll try just nav point for reverse tag next time, and kill in order for snipes sounds like fun. Yeah, I learned that HeH isn't the best for it haha. I'm getting Final (or NHE if it works with splitscreening on one console) in a couple weeks when I have the necessary goods for softmodding and downloading, plus a fourth controller.

I came up with a great stupid fun game to play with people who are new. We go to Blood Gulch and the odd man out has to survive on the ground while the other two get in the Warthogs and go for splatters. It's good because I can challenge myself by going just for quickscopes on the drivers while they're busy figuring out the controls. Hoping to get some dank 2s going soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Perfect Dark has 17 missions in total, has a fast-pasted, arcade style MP, like TimeSplitters, you have plenty of unlockables which can be achieved through the campaign as well as Combat Simulator challenges, another 17 maps (3 of them being GoldenEye's maps), and over 8 bots in total. It's only missing three of the things I put in bold, so you aren't going to miss much from TimeSplitters. I highly recommend playing the N64 version, because while it's graphically less appeasing and has higher framerate drops than the remaster, and you have a controller with only one analog stick, it's the purest way to play Perfect Dark. While I thoroughly enjoyed the Xbox 360 version for having a better framerate and dual-analog shooting, I didn't like how the characters looked (i.e. Joanna's glamoured look and all the faces in the game looked terrible; and the Maians looked terrible), how off note the music sounded, compare to what was heard in the original, the manual aim didn't felt quite right, and it had Multiplayer restrictions - for no apparent reason. The worse offender of this is that the Shigeru Miyamoto Easter Egg is gone, since you aren't playing on a Nintendo console, anymore. 

Perfect Dark, and even Goldeneye, gets a little flak from gamers today for having only one analog stick and framerate drops, but if you set the controls style to having the C buttons control your movement, and aiming with the analog stick, you should be good to go. Also, it could a little jarring at first, but once get aside the framerate problems of those games, you might experience a lot of enjoyment with them. Of course, if you think these issues will prevent you from playing the games, emulation is the other definitive way to go.

Responded on my phone but I guess it didn't go through.

Yeah I meant strictly multiplayer customization options, like settings mutators etc. Even still thats what I was told, and I never got to experience that for myself. In regards to actual game content it's unbelievable how much that game had. I was convinced to play the co-op campaign with a friend who I played the N64 version with. The moment the game started up and I heard the dumb music, I laughed. It felt so out of place for me coming back to the PD world. Was Joanna a punk rebellious teen all of a sudden? I thought PDN64's story was great even though it was somewhat simple. Like they didn't go in depth to explain everything but I felt the actual maps and gameplay helped with the actual telling of the story.

What I liked about PDZ was playing the story with a friend, and being able to play on a higher difficulty that added additional objectives and promoted a tactical approach. Overall, I just miss that. It didn't do anything better than PDN64, but it was refreshing to go back and try something like that. Art style, weapons, levels, everything I just couldn't get into. What an amazing world they had with PD... they decided to trash that for no reason I can come up with. Even the concept of Joanna Dark was awesome. She WAS the female BOND. PDZ she seemed like a punk chick that would whine or something. I get it's a prequel so it's not going to be futuristic, but if I'm not mistaken PD wasn't ever set that far in the future to begin with.

Joanna was 20 years old during PDZ, which took place in 2020, three years before the original game, but you're right, the music in PDZ sounds exactly similar to what teenagers would listen to during the mid-2000s. Ironically enough, I actually thought the music was what saved me from dropping the game on Rare Replay completely. Tracks as this, stood out to me. The soundtrack compel me to beat the Campaign on the harder difficulties, just to get achievements; looking back now, I wouldn't waste my time with such a "guilty pleasure" of a game (Skyrim is a different story, even though I don't spend much time playing it). The story was a damn mess; if I had to strongly criticize it, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

While it's good they brought back GoldenEye's mission layout, it didn't translate well into Perfect Dark Zero's awful gameplay and level design. What could take at least 10 to 20 minutes to finish one of the longest levels in GE, PD, or the TS series, would take up an alarming one hour, or more, to finish in PDZ. Since the gameplay is slow and sluggish, you can't strafe very well, and you have to take cover. A lot. Also, the levels are unnecessary long, longer than your typical PD level; some of that has to do with how slow Joanna moves, but the map is mostly stretched out to make the game longer, since it has 13 (14, for the training mission) missions. That's why there's a checkpoint halfway of all the levels in the game, but any damage you took before reaching said checkpoint will remain after you died. This design is stupid for a game titled, "Perfect Dark"; it worked in TS2 because you didn't move like a snail, and you could still recover your health in some form.

I wouldn't call Joanna Dark the "female Bond" per say... she doesn't have the same charm on men James Bond has on women, but Joanna was heavily inspired by him, and many other characters. Even her name is a reference to Joan of Arc. It's heartbreaking that the same protagonist from the original game suffers the worst characterization in the prequel - they've effectively turned her from a gun-toting, British action girl who showed professionalism in her line of work, to an effeminate, poppy American with daddy issues. Joanna Dark was supposed to be an inexperienced, but highly skilled agent. Having her join the Carrington Institute and doing missions for them in 2020, explicitly contradicts the original game.

PDZ was supposed to futuristic, but not at much as PD, since it's only a 3-year difference. The problem with PDZ art style is that it looks too futuristic in the year 2020, and the fact that even looks more futuristic than the original, itself, is asinine. Remember, Perfect Dark came out on May 25th, 2000, so RareWare didn't know the future would be like in 2023. PDZ came out in 2005, and it takes place 15 years into the future. The series might not be far off, as Halo is, since it takes place in the 26th century, but a lot can happen when time flies.

Ok, before I even start, everyone needs to remember that this was the highest profile launch title for the 360. That makes everything sooo much worse.

Let's not forget that it was a rushed title which went through development hell on a few occasions. If this game was the highest profile launch game in the 360's lineup, I'd hate to know about the other launch titles.

• Upvote (+1) 2

snip

Yeah I don't mean a 1 to 1 comparison of bond exactly but you went on to sum up why I felt they were similar. I watched the rare development and know about the influence from Joan of Arc. Listening to that video made me realize they really had a great vision of what they wanted in a game outside of the Bond license. Looking back, I am actually very happy they didn't get the contract to make the World is Not Enough. I like that game too and they obviously copied the gameplay from Goldeneye but you just didn't get that polish and quality that Rare had. Also the composer Grant is a God. I think theres a video game music thread here and I know I listed Perfect Dark but saw others do the same.

I am not as well versed as you guys regarding the lore. I played through PDZ not too long after it was BC and just completely forget the timeline so that's helpful, but I can't really comment on any of it because I just think its a terrible disservice to the entire Perfect Dark universe.

Looking back, these games were ahead of their time but unfortunately did not age well like many N64 games. The control style and single analog stick is so incredibly far from ideal in this day and age, but you do have a few options. If you are playing 3/4 player split screen then there's nothing you can do. However if you are playing Goldeneye or Perfect Dark on N64 by yourself or with 2 people, you can both selection control scheme 2.3 (I believe this is the one and I remember it distinctly in Goldeneye)

Control scheme 2.3 allowed for two controllers to be used to control one player. I would hold two N64 controllers, one in each hand. I'd put controller 1 in my left hand, controller 2 in my right hand, offset them slightly like it was dual analog stick on 360. Left controller's Z button would aim down sites, right controller would fire the weapon. Its ridiculously close set up to the dual analog sticks that we are familiar with. Or you can try something interesting and let two people control bond and see how that goes.

Yeah I don't mean a 1 to 1 comparison of bond exactly but you went on to sum up why I felt they were similar. I watched the rare development and know about the influence from Joan of Arc. Listening to that video made me realize they really had a great vision of what they wanted in a game outside of the Bond license. Looking back, I am actually very happy they didn't get the contract to make the World is Not Enough. I like that game too and they obviously copied the gameplay from Goldeneye but you just didn't get that polish and quality that Rare had. Also the composer Grant is a God. I think theres a video game music thread here and I know I listed Perfect Dark but saw others do the same.

I am not as well versed as you guys regarding the lore. I played through PDZ not too long after it was BC and just completely forget the timeline so that's helpful, but I can't really comment on any of it because I just think its a terrible disservice to the entire Perfect Dark universe.

Looking back, these games were ahead of their time but unfortunately did not age well like many N64 games. The control style and single analog stick is so incredibly far from ideal in this day and age, but you do have a few options. If you are playing 3/4 player split screen then there's nothing you can do. However if you are playing Goldeneye or Perfect Dark on N64 by yourself or with 2 people, you can both selection control scheme 2.3 (I believe this is the one and I remember it distinctly in Goldeneye)

Control scheme 2.3 allowed for two controllers to be used to control one player. I would hold two N64 controllers, one in each hand. I'd put controller 1 in my left hand, controller 2 in my right hand, offset them slightly like it was dual analog stick on 360. Left controller's Z button would aim down sites, right controller would fire the weapon. Its ridiculously close set up to the dual analog sticks that we are familiar with. Or you can try something interesting and let two people control bond and see how that goes.

I never played The World Is Not Enough 007, but it does seem to be somewhat similar to GoldenEye. I would probably lean towards the other Bond games of the sixth console generation. I also posted some of PD's tracks on that thread, by the way. I wouldn't mind having him as the lead composer for Halo 6, but that's just another pipe dream.

I disagree with the games not aging well, at least with Perfect Dark. While a single analog style is out of place in a world where FPS games are all either played with dual analog sticks or M/KB, I thought it was done exceptionally well in both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, since they had multiple control styles. Control Style 1.2 was objectively the best way to play the games, since you could speed-run through the levels and dodge bullets by moving diagonally (something Halo could benefit from).

I never played The World Is Not Enough 007, but it does seem to be somewhat similar to GoldenEye. I would probably lean towards the other Bond games of the sixth console generation. I also posted some of PD's tracks on that thread, by the way. I wouldn't mind having him as the lead composer for Halo 6, but that's just another pipe dream.

I disagree with the games not aging well, at least with Perfect Dark. While a single analog style is out of place in a world where FPS games are all either played with dual analog sticks or M/KB, I thought it was done exceptionally well in both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, since they had multiple control styles. Control Style 1.2 was objectively the best way to play the games, since you could speed-run through the levels and dodge bullets by moving diagonally (something Halo could benefit from).

I don't prefer The World Is Not Enough. I liked it but it was the only other bond game on N64 and it was completely out done by Perfect Dark.

I'm interested in why you feel it hasn't aged well? At one point in time I was blown away by Goldeneye as a kid and thought it was amazing. Going back to it now I can understandably see how bad it's aged to todays graphics. Perfect Dark made improvements, but still suffered the same fate to me when I go back and play it on N64. It's aged beautifully on the remaster, but the stock N64 game as wonderful as it, strains my eyes. My opinion here really isn't about the gameplay or single analog stick, just the frame rate, the visuals/graphics/clarity w/e.

I know it's not fair to compare hardware wise, but look at the difference between Halo CE and Perfect Dark. What is amazing is that they released really close to each other, like 8 months apart or something. Halo CE to me is a game that has aged beautifully and despite how much I love the physical gameplay, a lot of that comes down to the visuals and clarity of CE maps and textures.

Why do you feel that control scheme 1.2 is best? What does it do? You saw that I posted about a control scheme on N64 that lets you use dual analog sticks right? Once I found that I greatly prefer it so I'm interested why 1.2 is best objectively, unless it has something to do with speed running.

edit: rather than double post for a different topic, I'll edit it here. @@Infinity - Have you ever played 2v2 CE on LAN? You are from North NJ right?

The original Perfect Dark only has 5 drawbacks:

Frame rate
Resolution
No LAN or online
Compressed voices
Rudimentary AI

Even things like the low poly models, heavily tiled textures, MIDI music, and the single-stick controller don't detract from the experience. No other FPS before or after has presented such a wealth of content along with gameplay and atmosphere to match it. Over 30 weapons and gadgets, most with secondary functions, cool reload animations, and awesome sound effects. Striking lighting, colours, visual effects, and props. And intense, highly flexible gameplay bolstered by a variety of bots and dense maps.

The "port" to Xbox 360 had the chance to fix all the drawbacks except the AI. But they blew it. Ruined the art style by replacing all the character heads, fonts, reskinning all the weapons, and changing the visual effects. Added new control and audio bugs while keeping old ones like explosion lag. Partly botched the 60 FPS conversion by making everything feel too snappy. Added awful echo to corridors. And seriously nerfed the online multiplayer with no custom game browser (in the game that would make the absolute most of it), limited playlists, no parties, no cheats, and limited team options.

Halo 2, Halo 4, PDZ, and this "port" show how Microsoft doesn't have a clue how to continue their FPS franchises. All anybody ever wants out of ANY kind of sequel/port/remake of a good game is the same thing with the rough spots touched up. But every time, whether intentionally or via mismanagement, MS has upturned the tea table to horrendous effect.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Something that I love about PD & Goldeneye that no other games really but Timesplitters 2 and the first Thief's has done is the objectives in the difficulty settings, the higher the difficulty, the more/difficult objectives you get in a level.

• Upvote (+1) 1

edit: rather than double post for a different topic, I'll edit it here. @@Infinity - Have you ever played 2v2 CE on LAN? You are from North NJ right?

I have not, and yes I am.

Would love to get tossed around by some NJ CE veterans if the opportunity ever arises :)

I have not, and yes I am.

Would love to get tossed around by some NJ CE veterans if the opportunity ever arises :)

Awesome! For North NJ we LAN in Clifton and for South we LAN in Haddon Township. (2 hour drive for you) Majority of the active players are down there where as most of have been put into retirement, so we haven't hosted North lately. I just hit up my partner and let him know. His cousin plays here and there but not competitively so we'd get good series in. There is another host up north in NY very close to NJ in Stony Point I believe too, so we have options. 

While there are a lot of videos and megathreads on CE stuff, nothing will help you more than playing split screen training mode. I sent a ton of stuff to a SR pro in south NJ, played MCC with him for like a month trying to teach him and none of that compared to the 3 series we got in together on LAN. He improved  100x more in those series than on MCC. (because of split screen)

Lastly, are there more H5 microsoft store tournaments? I just keep missing them.

I don't prefer The World Is Not Enough. I liked it but it was the only other bond game on N64 and it was completely out done by Perfect Dark.

I'm interested in why you feel it hasn't aged well? At one point in time I was blown away by Goldeneye as a kid and thought it was amazing. Going back to it now I can understandably see how bad it's aged to todays graphics. Perfect Dark made improvements, but still suffered the same fate to me when I go back and play it on N64. It's aged beautifully on the remaster, but the stock N64 game as wonderful as it, strains my eyes. My opinion here really isn't about the gameplay or single analog stick, just the frame rate, the visuals/graphics/clarity w/e.

I know it's not fair to compare hardware wise, but look at the difference between Halo CE and Perfect Dark. What is amazing is that they released really close to each other, about 8 months apart or something. Halo CE to me is a game that has aged beautifully and despite how much I love the physical gameplay, a lot of that comes down to the visuals and clarity of CE maps and textures.

Why do you feel that control scheme 1.2 is best? What does it do? You saw that I posted about a control scheme on N64 that lets you use dual analog sticks right? Once I found that I greatly prefer it so I'm interested why 1.2 is best objectively, unless it has something to do with speed running.

Framerate wise, I agree that both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark suffered in that aspect - GoldenEye, for being RareWare's first attempt at an FPS; Perfect Dark, for being an incredibly ambitious project for its time (You could say, too ambitious for the hardware). If we're talking about graphics, that's where I draw the line with Perfect Dark. I appreciated Perfect Dark's graphics for the same reason I still appreciate Halo: CE's graphics - they both had nice aesthetics and beautiful scenery. I don't like how their remastered versions changed how they looked to make them feel more "modern". All they have to do was make the graphics better, without redesigning certain textures and models. Halo: CEA gave me terrible Reach vibes because many of the character models and weapon skins were from Reach, and Classic Mode is just the gimped PC port. I agree with @@FarSight XR~20 on almost every visual change in the PD remaster. The Maians were uglier, Joanna was dollied up (she's an agent, she shouldn't wear makeup when she's on task missions), Certain heads looked awful on the guards, the weapons like the Falcon 2 lost their teal chrome, Maian weapons had a weird moss on their redesigns, etc.

By the way, Perfect Dark was released in May 22nd, 2000, and Halo: CE came out on Nov. 15th, 2001. The time gap isn't huge, but it's not really short, either especially since the former was released on a dying system which could barely handle 8MB without some sort memory expansion. Halo: CE was fortunate enough to be released on a new, groundbreaking console that pushed the envelope for more PC-like consoles (consoles were always essentially PC, themselves, but that's besides the point).

You need two controllers to achieve near-functional dual analog gameplay, and it doesn't seem worth it to me. Control Style 1.2 allows you to move move diagonally, which nets you around a 40% speed boost, and you don't have to use two controllers for one control style.

The "port" to Xbox 360 had the chance to fix all the drawbacks except the AI. But they blew it. Ruined the art style by replacing all the character heads, fonts, reskinning all the weapons, and changing the visual effects. Added new control and audio bugs while keeping old ones like explosion lag. Partly botched the 60 FPS conversion by making everything feel too snappy. Added awful echo to corridors. And seriously nerfed the online multiplayer with no custom game browser (in the game that would make the absolute most of it), limited playlists, no parties, no cheats, and limited team options.

The 360 port still had cheats, but I'm not sure about limited team options and playlists. I never noticed the echo in certain corridors. Can you give a few examples?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Framerate wise, I agree that both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark suffered in that aspect - GoldenEye, for being RareWare's first attempt at an FPS; Perfect Dark, for being an incredibly ambitious project for its time (You could say, too ambitious for the hardware). If we're talking about graphics, that's where I draw the line with Perfect Dark. I appreciated Perfect Dark's graphics for the same reason I still appreciate Halo: CE's graphics - they both had nice aesthetics and beautiful scenery. I don't like how their remastered versions changed how they looked to make them feel more "modern". All they have to do was make the graphics better, without redesigning certain textures and models. Halo: CEA gave me terrible Reach vibes because many of the character models and weapon skins were from Reach, and Classic Mode is just the gimped PC port. I agree with @@FarSight XR~20 on almost every visual change in the PD remaster. The Maians were uglier, Joanna was dollied up (she's an agent, she shouldn't wear makeup when she's on task missions), Certain heads looked awful on the guards, the weapons like the Falcon 2 lost their teal chrome, Maian weapons had a weird moss on their redesigns, etc.

By the way, Perfect Dark was released in May 22nd, 2000, and Halo: CE came out on Nov. 15th, 2001. The time gap isn't huge, but it's not really short, either especially since the former was released on a dying system which could barely handle 8MB without some sort memory expansion. Halo: CE was fortunate enough to be released on a new, groundbreaking console that pushed the envelope for more PC-like consoles (consoles were always essentially PC, themselves, but that's besides the point).

You need two controllers to achieve near-functional dual analog gameplay, and it doesn't seem worth it to me. Control Style 1.2 allows you to move move diagonally, which nets you around a 40% speed boost, and you don't have to use two controllers for one control style.

The 360 port still had cheats, but I'm not sure about limited team options and playlists. I never noticed the echo in certain corridors. Can you give a few examples?

Re: Echo - N64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1FDhSjJD8o#t=0m35s

360:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFqAhaxKuMg#t=0m4s

360 has no cheats in online multiplayer. Just like in GE, certain cheats in PD were usable in multiplayer. And you can't pick and choose team members in online matches either - there are only preset team sizes that sort based on join order. I think bots can be individually assigned to teams, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, and head switching doesn't work properly on 360. Heads are locked to matching bodies unless you hold RB (hidden function), but even then, the necks are missing.

P.S. See what I mean about the conversion being "too snappy" between those vids? Something to do with animation speeds.

Re: Echo - N64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1FDhSjJD8o#t=0m35s

360:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFqAhaxKuMg#t=0m4s

360 has no cheats in online multiplayer. Just like in GE, certain cheats in PD were usable in multiplayer. And you can't pick and choose team members in online matches either - there are only preset team sizes that sort based on join order. I think bots can be individually assigned to teams, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, and head switching doesn't work properly on 360. Heads are locked to matching bodies unless you hold RB (hidden function), but even then, the necks are missing.

P.S. See what I mean about the conversion being "too snappy" between those vids? Something to do with animation speeds.

It's been awhile since I've played the 360 port. I knew I noticed it before, but I couldn't remember it being there, for some reason, maybe because I've played the N64 version more. While it's not the worst thing about the remaster, it still sounds off.

Maybe the reason why cheats are unusable in online MP because you're playing against people who may, or may not, earned those cheats. That's the only explanation I can think of. Bots can still be assigned individually, since they are only A.I.

I'm aware of the RB glitch, but it's a shame they restricted the ability to swap different heads with different bodies. It provided that wacky experience you'll get from something such as TimeSplitters.

The snappiness when in Manual Aim mode is too noticeable to ignore in the remaster.

Manual aim isn't nearly as smooth as the original. This is one of several control related issues, including not being able to quick select properly when using the Legacy stick layout (the original 1.1 default layout, which wasn't even included at launch, nor was Southpaw - layouts that EVERY Halo has, mind you).

I remember doing all the missions on Goldneye on 00agent and getting all the cheats, and then thinking no one in the world was better than me at this game (14 year old me)   met some friends who I said I'd easily beat, they put the settings on Licence to kill/pistols only, and i was like wat is this and got shit on. I only played that way after and got pretty damn competitive over it.

I could never get into perfect dark for whatever reason.

Damn, all this talk of Perfect Dark and Goldeneye bring back memories.

Story time!

1.) Got my first taste of FPS action in my friend's basement with him and his older brother that was in college. Us, as elementary school age, would get destroyed on Facility by his brother. He played so much he knew the spawns. He would use Oddjob and just destroy us. I'll never forget having shootouts in the bathroom stalls on the map.

2.) The secret levels based on Moonraker and Live and Let Die were the shit! Jaws with the double AR's was so hard to kill. My palms would literally sweat having a duel with him on that damn double staircase. I was so pumped when I finally beat him.

All of this transitioned to playing Perfect Dark against bots and setting up laptop guns everywhere. Then Nightfire came out and we would have sniper duels on Skyrail.

and then, we transitioned to Halo: CE and the rest was history.

On a side note, thinking of picking up a PS4 on Black Friday. The Slim version is on sale at Gamestop with a 50 dollar gift card. Really want to play Bloodborne, what else is good on PS?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Damn, all this talk of Perfect Dark and Goldeneye bring back memories.

Story time!

1.) Got my first taste of FPS action in my friend's basement with him and his older brother that was in college. Us, as elementary school age, would get destroyed on Facility by his brother. He played so much he knew the spawns. He would use Oddjob and just destroy us. I'll never forget having shootouts in the bathroom stalls on the map.

2.) The secret levels based on Moonraker and Live and Let Die were the shit! Jaws with the double AR's was so hard to kill. My palms would literally sweat having a duel with him on that damn double staircase. I was so pumped when I finally beat him.

All of this transitioned to playing Perfect Dark against bots and setting up laptop guns everywhere. Then Nightfire came out and we would have sniper duels on Skyrail.

and then, we transitioned to Halo: CE and the rest was history.

On a side note, thinking of picking up a PS4 on Black Friday. The Slim version is on sale at Gamestop with a 50 dollar gift card. Really want to play Bloodborne, what else is good on PS?

Bloodborne is definitely awesome, what games do you like playing?

A few off the top of my head, obviously Naughty Dog games (specifically Uncharted 4 and Last of Us). If you like nerdy JRPGs, Persona 5 is phenomenal. Horizon Zero Dawn is absolutely amazing as well. Those are kind of the big ones that I feel everyone should own (assuming you like anime, turn based, "high school kids save the world" JRPGs, otherwise skip Persona 5).

There's some smaller nerdier games I could suggest, but I'm not sure what type of games you like. I'll give one last shoutout to "Everybody's Golf" which is like Hot Shots Golf on the PS2 back in the day if you ever played that. But if you don't like arcade golf games then definitely stay away.

How did your physical therapy school interview go by the way? I've been checking for updates from you and never heard anything.