The Steam versions of Quake 1 and 2 don't play the music. This is really bad.

Speaking of old games, TimeSplitters 2 turns 15 years old today! It might be a successor to Goldeneye, which also turned 20 back in August, but Perfect Dark surpasses both of them in replay value, content, and gameplay.

Didn't Timesplitters 2 have a gametype with a flaming monkey that was basically Infection?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't Timesplitters 2 have a gametype with a flaming monkey that was basically Infection?

Yes, it did, but it didn't have Counter Co-op. Or a Co-op mode which allowed you to play with a Co-op Stimulant (3, at the max).

Used to play Timesplitters: Future Perfect all the time as a kid.  Game was revolutionary at the time and actually still is in some ways.  When's the last time you saw a game with a built in map editor that could be used to make multiplayer maps and singeplayer missions?  Or a game that has over a hundred character models that can be unlocked through challenges and not paywalls or an RNG lootbox grind?

I think the gameplay itself does a lot to prove that less can be more.  People hate how Halo doesn't have sprint, imagine their reaction when they find out they can't even jump in Timesplitters.  Yet it's one thing I actually liked about the game, it provides a unique dynamic to the level layouts and makes infection feel much more tense when you can't jump away to higher ground.

I'm sad the franchise never got rebooted, though in a way I'm also kind of thankful it didn't.  They probably would've missed the point and made it a mechanically generic military shooter with a gritty story and no content.

Used to play Timesplitters: Future Perfect all the time as a kid.  Game was revolutionary at the time and actually still is in some ways.  When's the last time you saw a game with a built in map editor that could be used to make multiplayer maps and singeplayer missions?  Or a game that has over a hundred character models that can be unlocked through challenges and not paywalls or an RNG lootbox grind?

Forge did take some inspiration from TimeSplitters' map customization, but sadly, you can't make your own single-player missions on Forge. As for unlocking character models by actually earning them - that's one of many reasons why I still consider gaming to peak during the 6th console generation.

I think the gameplay itself does a lot to prove that less can be more.  People hate how Halo doesn't have sprint, imagine their reaction when they find out they can't even jump in Timesplitters.  Yet it's one thing I actually liked about the game, it provides a unique dynamic to the level layouts and makes infection feel much more tense when you can't jump away to higher ground.

I agree. Halo: CE is also a great example, and I think we all know why. One of my favorite Arcade games in TS2 was Infection on the map Hospital; that music sets up the mood perfectly. The one thing I hated in the first two games, though, is how they basically aimed for you. That Auto Aim from Goldeneye/Perfect Dark just felt out of place for a game that supported dual analog shooting, and the manual aiming is even worse than it was in those games... I know the Goldeneye team were behind the development of the franchise, but they would've played so much better if they've just use Aim Assist, instead (preferably similar to CE's).

I'm sad the franchise never got rebooted, though in a way I'm also kind of thankful it didn't.  They probably would've missed the point and made it a mechanically generic military shooter with a gritty story and no content.

I'd like to think they wouldn't have, because they weren't 343i - people who think that "modernizing" the game is going to help maintain good player retention and compete against other shooters which share similar gameplay mechanics and features.

I consider the time around the sixth console generation to be the golden age of mainstream gaming.  People were still playing the best games of the previous generations, the current games being released were very good, and gaming hadn't yet gone entirely corporate and sapped of creativity.

One of my favorite Arcade games in TS2 was Infection on the map Hospital;
sets up the mood perfectly

That's another highpoint of the franchise.  The levels and accompanying music managed to make things immersive without relying on realism gimmicks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I also miss the days of padlocks and blacked-out silhouettes of things you knew were going to be yours soon...

The game could not even have something like this unless it was finished.

• Upvote (+1) 2

\m/      \m/     \m/      \m/     \m/      \m/     \m/      \m/     \m/      \m/     \m/      \m/     \m/      \m/     \m/      \m/     

Anyone play Cuphead? The lovely @ gifted it to me and so far it's been a frustrating but addicting experience, think Civilization's just one more turn except you play as anthromorphic cup man on this one. Doubtless will continue playing, and it's nice that it's a third of AAA pricing without microtransactions. Good time so far.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone play Cuphead? The lovely @ gifted it to me and so far it's been a frustrating but addicting experience, think Civilization's just one more turn except you play as anthromorphic cup man on this one. Doubtless will continue playing, and it's nice that it's a third of AAA pricing without microtransactions. Good time so far.

I just finished Cuphead about a week ago. Excellent game for sure. The art style is too good.

I just finished Cuphead about a week ago. Excellent game for sure. The art style is too good.

very good, when i finish cuphead I think i'll move on to sonic mania or something. i want to expand my horizons beyond AAA games since i'm really burned on halo + other disappointing microtransaction filled games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

very good, when i finish cuphead I think i'll move on to sonic mania or something. i want to expand my horizons beyond AAA games since i'm really burned on halo + other disappointing microtransaction filled games.

Dude get Sundered, you will no be disappointed.  So fucking good. 

I am playing Sonic Mania and cuphead too. Cuphead is so hard lol. 

I'd very much recommend Hyper Light Drifter if you guys like a fun, Zelda esque experience with some Shoot Em Up elements. I definitely consider it an absolute gem of an indie game and well worth a try for anyone here.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd very much recommend Hyper Light Drifter if you guys like a fun, Zelda esque experience with some Shoot Em Up elements. I definitely consider it an absolute gem of an indie game and well worth a try for anyone here.

Been on my wish list for a while.

I could come up with a long list of games you could try if you're just now moving away from AAA. I'm not a fan of Sonic games, but if you like them then more power to you for Sonic Mania.

If you have a PC and like older style shooters, check out Dusk. It's made by a fairly new indie developer called "New Bloods" They only released the first episode (early access) so don't buy it yet if you want to wait for the full thing. But it plays very similar to Quake 2 and they're going to add multiplayer for launch. It's coming out fully sometime this year.

I mean, if this trailer doesn't do anything for you don't bother spending money on it, but when I saw it I got stupidly excited.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What is the current state of Halo 5, 343, and E-sports? I'm watching this stream with Quinn talking about the weapon balancing. Just curious.

I can't believe I've actually completely stopped playing and following Halo for a few years now. Never thought this would be true, and I feel bad about it.

What is the current state of Halo 5, 343, and E-sports? I'm watching this stream with Quinn talking about the weapon balancing. Just curious.

I can't believe I've actually completely stopped playing and following Halo for a few years now. Never thought this would be true, and I feel bad about it.

Don't. The shame should be placed on the developers who drove the fans away from the series.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I prefer indie games for almost everything, but unfortunately for multiplayer shooters AAA is your only actual option.

Indie shooters are almost exclusively one of two things:

1.  CoD or OW imitators with a few thousand players that get boring fast.

2.  More traditional or inventive shooters with only like ten people playing them.

Other than that though as far as every other genre is concerned indie games seem to just get better and better.

I second Hyper Light Drifter and if you enjoy it you'd probably also enjoy Furi.

• Upvote (+1) 1

to clarify its not about going indie so much as it is going for better valued products

Just so happens those tend to coincidence. dusk looks interesting but i dont know if i wanna play another shooter. @@QuietMan what would appeal to me about sundered

to clarify its not about going indie so much as it is going for better valued products

Just so happens those tend to coincidence. dusk looks interesting but i dont know if i wanna play another shooter. @@QuietMan what would appeal to me about sundered

Well I am not sure if it is your type of game.  If you ever loved Super Metroid, I guarantee you would like it. I would say it is the best modern 'Metroidvania' type game. Watch this trailer.  Gets me so pumped and makes me want to go back and play a second time through. 

Once I started this game, I barely played anything else until I beat it.  Couldn't put it down. 

Plus it's only $20.

So I guess they changed the Xbone UI again. My initial thought is the community section looks like a jumbled mess now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I guess they changed the Xbone UI again. My initial thought is the community section looks like a jumbled mess now.

I agree. Its hard to tell sometimes if I was just finally getting used to the old interface or if the new one sucks that much. I think the new one just sucks, mainly for the community section.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish I could turn off all that social media crap. I'd rather have something useful, which is anything other than social media crap.