If they drop the matchmaking and only focus on the campaign and SnapMap then it will GOTY. Doom and what we're seeing from Quake Champions makes it very obvious that id is incapable of making a strong multiplayer game.

Yeah for sure best SP of 2016 but I didn't care for the multiplayer.

Yeah for sure best SP of 2016 but I didn't care for the multiplayer.

It's tragic bc the game has everything it needs to be an amazing MP. It was only the settings that were holding it back. And their outdated DLC model isn't doing them any favors either.

Hey @@MultiLockOn, have you considered making a map for UnrealTorunament.  The devs just awarded 5 different guys a total of 25k for their community map contributions.  I'm pretty sure its free to dev maps for the game too. 

Hey @@MultiLockOn, have you considered making a map for UnrealTorunament. The devs just awarded 5 different guys a total of 25k for their community map contributions. I'm pretty sure its free to dev maps for the game too.

Just downloaded the editor a week ago! Learning it now :) my computer chugs though

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just downloaded the editor a week ago! Learning it now :) my computer chugs though

Hows the leaning curve?  I want to do it.  Is it free or do you have to pay for Unreal Engine 4 support? 

Scalebound didnt look very good, but it sucks another exclusive gone.

Yeah, pretty sad. It's astonishing how little exclusives Xbox has right now compared to PlayStation.

Hows the leaning curve? I want to do it. Is it free or do you have to pay for Unreal Engine 4 support?

I haven't paid for anything yet? And it's certainly a step up from forge.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know why my phone has started displaying this site as the desktop version instead of mobile? It's much harder to navigate. @@CyReN

Does anyone know why my phone has started displaying this site as the desktop version instead of mobile? It's much harder to navigate. @@CyReN

Clear cache

Clear cache

I don't know how :(

Halp

Edit: just found the "use mobile version" link at the bottom. Hooray!

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can also go to the very tiny tine bottom and click a link that say use mobile version. 

You know what would make a fun thread?

"What are you doing right now?"

I think it has potential.

Replying?

The term lazy cover refers to things like crates and scenery objects (as I understand it), and it's considered poor level design to use these for cover. It is said that proper level design requires real structures for cover, such as walls and pillars.

Why?

Why is a large crate considered poor level design when it actually fits into the theme of the map and provides tactical value to the portion of the map it exists on? This has never made sense to me and I am now thinking such logic is terribly flawed. Can someone tell me why I am wrong?

The term lazy cover refers to things like crates and scenery objects (as I understand it), and it's considered poor level design to use these for cover. It is said that proper level design requires real structures for cover, such as walls and pillars.

Why?

Why is a large crate considered poor level design when it actually fits into the theme of the map and provides tactical value to the portion of the map it exists on? This has never made sense to me and I am now thinking such logic is terribly flawed. Can someone tell me why I am wrong?

Hard to find anything on the topic really.

Here is my understanding from seeing other people mention it in the past:

Natural cover refers walls, windows, openings, etc. that provide or block off specific sightlines and areas of the map, giving it structured flow or layout.

Lazy cover refers to simple cover just haphazardly placed in the middle of an area for players to duck behind.  Crates, pillars, so on.  Most maps will have some minor useage of lazy cover (it's pretty much unavoidable), and that's fine.

The problem is when maps rely too heavily on lazy cover and not enough on natural cover.  When they start to becoming a series of giant areas with crates everywhere that everyone just peeks around or hops on, becoming chaotic and inconsistent in flow and amount of cover.

I'll make some images to represent this point.

Mostly Natural (cover provided by geometry of map)

Mostly Lazy (cover provided by objects)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good cover: Garage on Landfall. It has a theme and creates interesting map movement

Lazy Cover: Regen side on Assembly. The 3 pillars seems out of place and chop up the LoS too much in that area.

Good Cover: Shotgun Room on Chill Out. It creates the identity for the room. It's pretty much the only cover in the game that you crouch behind, and definitely the only bottomless cover in the game with the suspended pillar that you can nade underneath.

Lazy cover: The crates in the Scarab area on Turf. They exist only to break LoS. They add nothing interesting to the movement in the area, and they don't even fit thematically.

Lazy cover: The crates in the Scarab area on Turf. They exist only to break LoS. They add nothing interesting to the movement in the area, and they don't even fit thematically.

And if that is the only reason they are there and if no additional feature was intended or desired, what is wrong with that?

Is the overall design poor? Is the design of that area of the map poor?

I don't disagree that the crates were lazy cover, maybe the devs thought it would be innovative to have something that can be grenaded and moved, but the only useful thing about those boxes was the ability to crouch jump into the windows..

Man I loved climbing that map.

And if that is the only reason they are there and if no additional feature was intended or desired, what is wrong with that?

Is the overall design poor? Is the design of that area of the map poor?

I still had fun games on Turf. That area saw the most action in 1Flag/Bomb, and I never thought it played really poorly. I did think it looked like garbage, and that type of cover made the already questionable warthog pathing almost nonexistent.

It looked out of place and purposeless. Lazy. Lazy is a good word for it. If they wanted to break LoS in that area, I would have preferred a hard piece of map geometry that fit thematically with the area, like a cool looking chunk of the Scarab.

It was fun to think about though.  I think the Doritos in Derelict are lazy cover too. Those LoS blockers add a lot to the map and it plays better with them. But when something looks out of place, doesn't help you navigate the map any differently (like allow for a jump), and serves only to fill open space and break LoS, then thats a recipe for lazy cover.  It doesn't ruin a map. It just looks like silly grammatical errors in a well thought out thesis paper.

• Upvote (+1) 1

....I think the Doritos in Derelict are lazy cover too. Those LoS blockers add a lot to the map and it plays better with them. But when something looks out of place, doesn't help you navigate the map any differently (like allow for a jump), and serves only to fill open space and break LoS, then thats a recipe for lazy cover. It doesn't ruin a map. It just looks like silly grammatical errors in a well thought out thesis paper.

That gets me thinking about the tombstones in hang em high. That leads me to ask, is halo broken if los blockers are necessary for open areas or are open areas a poor design for halo?