Republic Commando was beast, I also had this game on the OG Xbox called Raze I think? Basically about really cute square people taking over the world, and you had to kill them, was rather gory and I loved it

Raze's Hell, that game was hot garbage lol. Was my most hated game for years.

Well that is what was said in the video, and many people seem to call it that http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2010/07/koreas-national-sport/59136/ but whatever man I guess to some it is others its not. Point is, that its pretty amazing for a video-game to be taken as seriously as traditional sports over there.

http://euw.lolesports.com/articles/surprising-esports-culture-korea

The scale of soccer, taekwondo and baseball dwarf any esport in Korea. SC is slowly dying a death, League has long overtook it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Raze's Hell, that game was hot garbage lol. Was my most hated game for years.

Hahaha why? I was like 8 at the time, don't judge

Hahaha why? I was like 8 at the time, don't judge

I just remember really disliking it, it was the epitome of 2edgy4u. Like the enemies were carebears spreading sunshine and you were supposed to be the badass bringing blackness to the world, or whatever. Lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What

Innovations are suppose to better something. Just adding something into the game isn't innovating.

It's a bit deeper than that. New things need to 'click' with both Competitive and Casual arenas in order to be considered innovative.

The definition of innovating is adding or introducing components to change something. I was referring to that definition, so technically nothing needs to click or better anything.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Quinn was hired after Halo 4's launch. He revamped all of Halo 4's maps for the Turbo update (Respawning Ordnances, nearly all ordnances removed, weapons added on map for pickup, spawning improved), as well as balanced the sandbox (arguably a job very well done).

Halo 5 was never advertised as bringing Halo back to its roots. It was advertised as recreating and revitalizing Halo as an Arena shooter. 4v4, Skill-based, equal starts, map control, weapon control, etc.

Anything added to Halo is innovating. Innovating is changing something by adding new things to it. It just so happens that these new additions are offensive combat abilities, so is that really that bad?

So Quinn is responsible for the Turbo update? That's great, I'm glad he was able to see those changes needed to be made, and was in a position to do them. I just wish some of the other dozens who had great settings and competitive ideas had their ideas heard. The update at after Halo 4 made it better than launch, but still how good was it after that? We might keep the flagnum for good because some new developer is fully behind the idea that he shouldn't be penalized for giving the other team rockets. It's those types of decisions that prevents Halo from evolving by limiting your variables.

And it was never advertised that it was going back to its arena roots? I could have sworn they mentioned it themselves in a video. Could anyone here help refresh my memory on what 343 said? Am I mistaken? Or is this another case of "Halo CE/Halo2" exactly as you remember it?

Sorry, but I disagree with the bold 110%. You're saying Armor Lock is innovative, Promethean Vision is innovative, Jetpacks were innovative, Bubble Shields etc.. I can just keep going and going. Missle pods? Huge innovation. Sprint? INNOVATIVE!  It's that mentality honestly to me that has strangled the "Halo" out of Halo and was the starting process of combining various games' attributes combining CoD with Halo and Shadowrun.

For the record, my position isn't to keep Halo exactly the same every year, although if they did that with CE we'd have a bit deeper of a game. I'm fine with innovation if it 1) FITS within the game ALREADY, not forced in a way that doesn't fit and changes the balance of other things. 2) Ideas/Abilities/Weapons should be balanced to be useful, take skill to use perfectly, and involve risk.

Look at Halo CE's double melee and Halo 2's double melee.. Halo CE has no lunge, and requires you to be pretty close to the players to do connect a shot. Even if they are close in proximity, you still need to be aiming completely at them. The button input is melee grenade melee, which forces a grenade to come out. You need to be cautious of not only your grenade, but also the enemies nade if they tried to do the same. Also, there's quite a difference in weapon damage and melee length in Halo CE's sandbox.

In Halo 2, the Melee, Reload, Melee has very little risk for such high reward. Unlimited amounts of melee's and cancels unlike Halo CE's, with no grenade to worry about. The kicker here though is the insane lunge distance, and ability to connect melees that shouldn't connect at all. Do I like the BXB? Yes I do like it, but its a feature that takes extremely little skill, creates very little risk, but at least is provides some versatility to the close range gameplay. Versatility meaning you have a chance or options in an unfavorable situation. I enjoy the BXR as well, it falls in the same category. Doubleshotting to me is different as there is a rather big risk involved with double or quad shotting, and if you can get them consistently then you've earned them.

I already stated a way I feel ground pound could be a better skill. I'm not sure if you read that post, but I don't think the risk/reward is still that great after the vidoes you provided. In fact, ground pound is the only ability that requires some cognitive thinking, which seems to be a feature lacking competitive Halo lately. "Should I do this or should I not?" Sliding and mantling don't require any similar mentality.

The definition of innovating is adding or introducing components to change something. I was referring to that definition, so technically nothing needs to click or better anything.

If sony came out with a phone that was a rip-off of the iphone, but allowed you download and play video games on it would that be an innovative phone to you? Is that innovative for sony? possibly, but what about in regards to the phone world? There's already better phones with plenty of emulators. What about when car concepts share similar designs? Is each brand innovative? Possibly a better example would be sampling music.. because you are using other's work but changing it to fit your own. Sampling can be innovative right? I think it can, but that depends on the context. Are you taking a sample and composing a song around it that supports that sample? Or are you making a track with the intention of appealing to the mass market and forcing some older music into it? I don't care to search for examples for each, but pitbull exists so you already have an idea.

Their attempts at innovation should feature things that create diverse gameplay, and diverse gameplay doesn't mean should I thrust away or should I engage. There should be underlying features whether it's effective, fast paced weapon spawns, or we get maps that promote a higher level of thinking.

Halo 5 in my eyes would be slightly more successful if it did what Shadowrun didn't do.. change it's name. Yeah, obviously it's a different case here since it is the next installment of a series, but they're obviously going to annoy their fan-base. This time it's not just annoying H1 fans with H2, or H2 fans with H3. Anyone who enjoyed any installment of Halo 1-3 will be turned off from this. If it was Halo 5: Guardian Warfare at least people would know what to expect.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Bring back 3rd Strike

3s is a mans game but it did make some drastic changes that felt very un sf-like for some players iirc

XGAMES now has CoD, so anything is possible at this point really.

I heard last year was hella cringy for CoD at xGames. Just looked very, very out of place

Honestly have no clue why 343i is pushing for a game that only has 3 viable maps to use. I'm already bored of watching these events, the only gametypes I'm interested are Ball/KoTH Lockout (if they do add in ball Lockout that is). Tho to be fair I'm also bored of watching Melee so maybe I just don't like most games besides classic FGs these days. CSGo is an exception to that

I watch a lot of speedrunners too, but usually just in the background while im eating or doing hw. More interesting to me than TV but Halo right now is not. I honestly loved watch AGL events I was really into competitive Halo back then.

Posted this in the Halo 5 thread but may be more relevant here: very lengthy Twitter convo with a casual player about sprint, Halo 5, competitive Halo and other stuff.

(convo continues from there)

Posted this in the Halo 5 thread but may be more relevant here: very lengthy Twitter convo with a casual player about sprint, Halo 5, competitive Halo and other stuff.

(convo continues from there)

no offence to the guy, but this is why 343 should listen to the pro comm. more often. I do agree with his point about the shooting skill gap though, I think all Halo games feel like Halo but that is just me I guess

Anything added to Halo is innovating. Innovating is changing something by adding new things to it. It just so happens that these new additions are offensive combat abilities, so is that really that bad?

No one will take you seriously when you say this. International businesses that use the term innovative never refer to mimic of their competition.

They would also be ashamed to claim a new feature or product or service were innovative if it did not stand out above the competition as uniquely beneficial to their customers.

I cannot remember ever hearing of a business claiming a change that resulted in their customers abandoning them as innovative. Mistake is more the term I hear from them when self evaluating.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Look at Halo CE's double melee and Halo 2's double melee.. Halo CE has no lunge, and requires you to be pretty close to the players to do connect a shot. Even if they are close in proximity, you still need to be aiming completely at them. The button input is melee grenade melee, which forces a grenade to come out. You need to be cautious of not only your grenade, but also the enemies nade if they tried to do the same. Also, there's quite a difference in weapon damage and melee length in Halo CE's sandbox.

In Halo 2, the Melee, Reload, Melee has very little risk for such high reward. Unlimited amounts of melee's and cancels unlike Halo CE's, with no grenade to worry about. The kicker here though is the insane lunge distance, and ability to connect melees that shouldn't connect at all. Do I like the BXB? Yes I do like it, but its a feature that takes extremely little skill, creates very little risk, but at least is provides some versatility to the close range gameplay. Versatility meaning you have a chance or options in an unfavorable situation. I enjoy the BXR as well, it falls in the same category. Doubleshotting to me is different as there is a rather big risk involved with double or quad shotting, and if you can get them consistently then you've earned them.

wow teapot, why didn't you back me up in this thread http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/7925-halo-2-pick-one-official-button-combos-or-static-timers/

Wouldn't it be cool if the map changed geometry and spawns when teams became numerically imbalanced?

I'm learning about this kind of thing in my Computer Graphics class. Procedural Geometry and Dynamics.

But obviously the freaking games should be balanced and this should never have to be implemented.

I was actually thinking about mid-game changing maps a couple days ago. Imagine something like Pokemon Stadium from Smash Bros. in Halo... there's a default geometry to the map but say every 3 minutes it switches to an entirely different layout, then back to default, then another one, etc.

It's probably a bad idea but I'd like to see how it would play out.

I didn't read your post I guess, but go to the 2nd page I pretty much post the same thing. I think we both agree that static timers are better for Halo but also don't want to see Halo 2 dumbed down to minimal versatility like Halo 3 and beyond. Besides I got off track when some guy who did well for a tiny bit of Halo 3 started talking down to someone who could probably beat him in Halo CE.

I've been crying and complaining for a while now that Halo has such basic gameplay that it kills me. No diversity in gameplay

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wouldn't it be cool if the map changed geometry and spawns when teams became numerically imbalanced?

That's trippy as hell!

I was looking at Sword Base today thinking of changes that would've made it an ok map, and I've come up with a couple of things.

1) Turn the lifts into ladders.

2) Remove the window from the break room.

3) Make it so you could get directly from Sword spawn to Shotgun spawn whether it would be a ladder or staircase.

4) Remove the Sword and Shotgun.

5) Add a platform next to the attic so you take the lift to get there.

6) Move the initial blue spawn to where the Shotgun currently spawns.

Granted it's still Sword Base, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as the atrocity currently in Reach.

I was actually thinking about mid-game changing maps a couple days ago. Imagine something like Pokemon Stadium from Smash Bros. in Halo... there's a default geometry to the map but say every 3 minutes it switches to an entirely different layout, then back to default, then another one, etc.

It's probably a bad idea but I'd like to see how it would play out.

I think it's an awesome idea.  I know you were thinking Pokemon Stadium, but I was thinking something like Rainbow Cruise, perhaps making use of a gondola a la Sacred Icon.

I think it's an awesome idea. I know you were thinking Pokemon Stadium, but I was thinking something like Rainbow Cruise, perhaps making use of a gondola a la Sacred Icon.

Oooh, now I'm thinking Poke Floats in Halo. Greatest map of all time easy.