I was watching the Hypefestation tournament stream last night for Gears 3 just to show support for their community. Its probably the first time I payed any attention to Gears since the first one. It was interesting that in the chat they were talking about what needs to happen for Gears 4 to be successful. Things like Gears 1 and Gears 2 maps + Gears 3 mechanics (minus the lancer and stopping power or something)....anyway, their hope for gears 4 reminded me of Halo, but after Reach. Gears judgement was like Halo Reach. Then later 343i was a new studio with a few old faces - much like Black Tusks Studios now taking over. And it sounds like Black Tusks wants to refresh the franchise (isn't that what 343i tried to do?). So sadly, that leads me to believe that GoW4 will be the Halo 4 of Gears. And that's downright depressing to me that another community will have to go through this.

yep...hopefully it doesnt turn into the halo 4 of gears. I love the gears franchise and I want to see it get back to what it once was.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was watching the Hypefestation tournament stream last night for Gears 3 just to show support for their community. Its probably the first time I payed any attention to Gears since the first one. It was interesting that in the chat they were talking about what needs to happen for Gears 4 to be successful. Things like Gears 1 and Gears 2 maps + Gears 3 mechanics (minus the lancer and stopping power or something)....anyway, their hope for gears 4 reminded me of Halo, but after Reach. Gears judgement was like Halo Reach. Then later 343i was a new studio with a few old faces - much like Black Tusks Studios now taking over. And it sounds like Black Tusks wants to refresh the franchise (isn't that what 343i tried to do?). So sadly, that leads me to believe that GoW4 will be the Halo 4 of Gears. And that's downright depressing to me that another community will have to go through this.

Read this article, familiar eh? 

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5350244/halo-4-laid-the-blueprint-for-the-next-generation-of-gears-of-war

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do think Black Tusk is in a better situation than 343. 343 could have made anything, slap Halo on it, and it would sell millions. The Gears of War series is not in that position, so unlike 343, Black Tusk has something to lose and that may inspire them to not half-ass it.

I do think Black Tusk is in a better situation than 343. 343 could have made anything, slap Halo on it, and it would sell millions. The Gears of War series is not in that position, so unlike 343, Black Tusk has something to lose and that may inspire them to not half-ass it.

Or it may lead them to do something crazy - like change GoW to first person and sell it as Battlefield with aliens or something (first bad idea off the top of my head). I'm sure the campaign will be solid though. 

Most of that article literally made me gag. The one bright spot was buried away at the end and was highlighted by the comments. "The trick is to make a game that feels and plays like Gears, while charting a new path in the game's story and setting." 

Or it may lead them to do something crazy - like change GoW to first person and sell it as Battlefield with aliens or something (first bad idea off the top of my head). I'm sure the campaign will be solid though. 

That idea is extreme lol, but I get your point. It's almost impossible to predict what BT will do since this is their first game. I just hope they look at the first Gears for their main inspiration.

Most of that article literally made me gag. The one bright spot was buried away at the end and was highlighted by the comments. "The trick is to make a game that feels and plays like Gears, while charting a new path in the game's story and setting." [/size]

Yeah I felt the exact same way when going through that article.

That idea is extreme lol, but I get your point. It's almost impossible to predict what BT will do since this is their first game. I just hope they look at the first Gears for their main inspiration.

Maybe we'll get a Halo reboot in 2020 and they'll base it off CE.

I think Titanfall might possibly hurt the FPS genre even more.

People who find CoD challenging(lol yeah apparently that's a thing) are saying they feel like beasts on Titanfall and they love it.

Unless this game has this hidden huge skill gap, I'm thinking this might only get worse for those who want an ultra competitive shooter.

Our only hope is that they release H2A with MP and it has a huge population.

So basically Gears has had some of the same problems as Halo? I don't play it but some things sound familiar: degrading lethality, reliance on teamshot, poor maps. If they wanted it to be more like paintball, I can't imagine why they wouldn't go for quicker kills.

They added stopping power to every weapon which means when you're shot, your forward momentum is drastically decreased so if you get caught by a rifle, you're not running away unless you're good at the game.

The fuck? do you lack simple comprehension? I'm saying if Gears 3 came right after 1 instead of Gears 2 (which had a bunch of online issues and killed the community) the game would still be extremely popular because Gears 3 doesn't suffer from any of the issues that plagued part 2. Obviously Gears 1 is better than it's sequels, that's not what i am talking about.

reading is fundamental 

oh yea

Gears 1 >>> Gears 3 >>> Gears 2

GoW2 is and will always be a better game than GoW3 because of it's hit detection, maps, and birthed GoW3. Not to mention it actually made the circuit, despite every little problem the game had.

GoW3 in every way shape and form was aimed and directed at casual players that have either;

A.) Never played a game in the franchise and could possibly get used to the 3rd person cover system influenced gameplay

OR

B.) Couldn't hang one the previous, much more difficult installments in the franchise.

Please don't talk to me about GoW, I've been playing the game competitively since 08.

As for the future of GoW, @CaptnBarbosa is trying to land a job at Black Tusks Studio and pull a 343ayame in order to continue his love for the game and help out the competitive community as well.

CaptnBarbosa was behind Hypefestation along with one of my friends Burger co-founded Hypefestation after GoW3 wasn't picked up. Here's a little thing MLG did on the 2nd event that happened.

Anyone who followed the GoW scene might be able to pick out some familiar faces, this event was ran much better than this newest IMO, but I wasn't at the recent one to confirm all the nonsense I was told.

GoW will never become first person, game would never work like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think the competitive GoW scene will never be like it was with GoW1. There were two waves of popularity that were close to eachother. The launch and when it dethroned Halo 2 after its two year streak. Fun times.

Please don't talk to me about GoW, I've been playing the game competitively since 08.

If you're thinking 2>3, then I have a hard time believing you played since 08. 2 was an absolute train wreck competitively.

If you're thinking 2>3, then I have a hard time believing you played since 08. 2 was an absolute train wreck competitively.

If he started out with 2, then it wouldn't been a trainwreck for him, but it was for anyone who started with GoW1. The competitive scene did take a dive with GoW2 that it never fully recovered from. #BelieveInBlackTusk

I started playing with 1, but I loved 1 and 2 because it had a strafe and hard to master, clunky movement. My problem with GoW3 is the way some people can move on it, playing on all 30's, Alternate, and clawing. GoW1 and 2 had three levels of sensitivity, and strafing. I'm a heavily based shotty player, so a slayer if you will, and that's why I think GoW2>GoW3 .

If you honestly think GoW3 has better shotty game than GoW2 than you that's you, but every GoW game has only gotten worse with its successor.

If a weapons names is a good sexual innuendo, it's a keeper.

Dark Energy Daggers sounds like something from Magic The Gathering.

You would know that. Fuckin nerd. :bman: