damn shame what happened to the Gears community. If 3 had came out after 1 it would still be flourishing.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. GoW1>GoW3 period. Any real GoW player will tell you that straight up. At least, any GoW player that started back in 06-07 when the game was made. GoW3 is a joke, but people play it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. GoW1>GoW3 period. Any real GoW player will tell you that straight up. At least, any GoW player that started back in 06-07 when the game was made. GoW3 is a joke, but people play it.

Uh, I'm pretty sure he was just saying that Gears 2 killed the momentum, not that Gears 3 is the best.

I will defend GoW2 because it made the circuit, didn't have a Lancer that basically had two full clips, 3 boom Boomshots, and had better strafing and introduced "air" bouncing aka wall canceling.

GoW1 was fluke, it was never intended to be played the way it evolved. Cliffy B states in the GoW1 "Notes from Dev's" Instruction Booklet that he envisioned GoW to replicate a real life firefight.

He got the idea for the franchise after a weekend of paintballing with friends. If you look at the evolution of all the GoW's, each game's successor required more tactical gameplay, rifle play, and teamwork. 

GoW1 was the greatest game because it didn't require 4 douchebags walking away spraying an entire clip of Lancer at you to kill you. No stopping power was a plus as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can a lore enthusiast tell me if the letter "Z" preceding Forerunner weaponry, like the Z-250 Light Rifle, has any meaning beyond a simple classification system?

Can a lore enthusiast tell me if the letter "Z" preceding Forerunner weaponry, like the Z-250 Light Rifle, has any meaning beyond a simple classification system?

Nothing is known yet, not what the "Z" stands for or what the numbers mean.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Speaking of random numbers on weapons, is anyone else getting tired of that crap plaguing nearly every game now. Titanfall for instance, here are some weapon names.

XO-16 Chaingun

R-101C Carbine

RE-45 Auto Pistol

G2A4 Rifle

Hemlok BF-R

Hammond P2011

R-97 Compact SMG

B3 Wingman

EVA-8 Shotgun

That shit is confusing. I know that's how real weapons are named but that's because there are constant new variations made and the library of weapons is large enough to justify numbers. These are video games with 10-30 weapons. All throughout the beta, people called the R-101C Carbine the "R-101", "101", "Carbine". It's like this for every weapon. In Battlefield and CoD games, I understand because they are going for that modern/realistic setting, but games like Halo (which doesn't do that...atm) and Titanfall, they are sci-fi games and they have the freedom to have their weapon names not be forgettable.

It's a petty problem, but annoying nonetheless, especially since it's easy to avoid.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fuck? do you lack simple comprehension? I'm saying if Gears 3 came right after 1 instead of Gears 2 (which had a bunch of online issues and killed the community) the game would still be extremely popular because Gears 3 doesn't suffer from any of the issues that plagued part 2. Obviously Gears 1 is better than it's sequels, that's not what i am talking about.

reading is fundamental 

oh yea

Gears 1 >>> Gears 3 >>> Gears 2

I was watching the Hypefestation tournament stream last night for Gears 3 just to show support for their community. Its probably the first time I payed any attention to Gears since the first one. It was interesting that in the chat they were talking about what needs to happen for Gears 4 to be successful. Things like Gears 1 and Gears 2 maps + Gears 3 mechanics (minus the lancer and stopping power or something)....anyway, their hope for gears 4 reminded me of Halo, but after Reach. Gears judgement was like Halo Reach. Then later 343i was a new studio with a few old faces - much like Black Tusks Studios now taking over. And it sounds like Black Tusks wants to refresh the franchise (isn't that what 343i tried to do?). So sadly, that leads me to believe that GoW4 will be the Halo 4 of Gears. And that's downright depressing to me that another community will have to go through this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was watching the Hypefestation tournament stream last night for Gears 3 just to show support for their community. Its probably the first time I payed any attention to Gears since the first one. It was interesting that in the chat they were talking about what needs to happen for Gears 4 to be successful. Things like Gears 1 and Gears 2 maps + Gears 3 mechanics (minus the lancer and stopping power or something)....anyway, their hope for gears 4 reminded me of Halo, but after Reach. Gears judgement was like Halo Reach. Then later 343i was a new studio with a few old faces - much like Black Tusks Studios now taking over. And it sounds like Black Tusks wants to refresh the franchise (isn't that what 343i tried to do?). So sadly, that leads me to believe that GoW4 will be the Halo 4 of Gears. And that's downright depressing to me that another community will have to go through this.

It's sad, because we started dying with Reach, but for them... Judgment was the whole package. 

Never liked the Gears MP except when I was an XBL noob so I'm glad they're rebooting the series.

Speaking of random numbers on weapons, is anyone else getting tired of that crap plaguing nearly every game now. Titanfall for instance, here are some weapon names.

XO-16 Chaingun

R-101C Carbine

RE-45 Auto Pistol

G2A4 Rifle

Hemlok BF-R

Hammond P2011

R-97 Compact SMG

B3 Wingman

EVA-8 Shotgun

That shit is confusing. I know that's how real weapons are named but that's because there are constant new variations made and the library of weapons is large enough to justify numbers. These are video games with 10-30 weapons. All throughout the beta, people called the R-101C Carbine the "R-101", "101", "Carbine". It's like this for every weapon. In Battlefield and CoD games, I understand because they are going for that modern/realistic setting, but games like Halo (which doesn't do that...atm) and Titanfall, they are sci-fi games and they have the freedom to have their weapon names not be forgettable.

It's a petty problem, but annoying nonetheless, especially since it's easy to avoid.

Well, in the case of Halo, at least, all the weapon names have meaning. For example, the MA5B ICWS. MA stands for Misriah Armory, the fictional company that makes the MA5 series, and ICWS stands for Individual Combat Weapon System. And I would argue that many of the Halo guns have memorable names. Yeah, the Human weapons are pretty basic, but look at the Covenant and Forerunner weapons. Plasma Rifle, Scattershot, Covenant Carbine, Incinerator Canon. All simple, easy to remember, but distinct enough that people will know you are talking about Halo weapons.

Well, in the case of Halo, at least, all the weapon names have meaning. For example, the MA5B ICWS. MA stands for Misriah Armory, the fictional company that makes the MA5 series, and ICWS stands for Individual Combat Weapon System. And I would argue that many of the Halo guns have memorable names. Yeah, the Human weapons are pretty basic, but look at the Covenant and Forerunner weapons. Plasma Rifle, Scattershot, Covenant Carbine, Incinerator Canon. All simple, easy to remember, but distinct enough that people will know you are talking about Halo weapons.

The numbers in human weapons are more of sub-names though. In the menus and such, they're called their simpler version. So when someone says "AR", you know what they're talking. That's not the case for Titanfall and other games.

In-game weapon name

Halo - Assault Rifle

If Respawn made it - MA5B Assault Rifle ICWS

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah Halo and other Arena shooters have simple names, flag ship names for their weapons.

BR, AR, Sniper, Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, Mauler, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle.

While other shooters like CoD and BF have 5 different types of M16s, 3 different shotguns that all have a similar name, sometimes you can't even tell it's an RPG or an anti-air weapon cause they both have a similar name and look the same.

Why does no one veto Narrows? Why do people keep 3v3 Pit game types, but veto 3v3 Onslaught?

I will defend GoW2 because it made the circuit, didn't have a Lancer that basically had two full clips, 3 boom Boomshots, and had better strafing and introduced "air" bouncing aka wall canceling.

GoW1 was fluke, it was never intended to be played the way it evolved. Cliffy B states in the GoW1 "Notes from Dev's" Instruction Booklet that he envisioned GoW to replicate a real life firefight.

He got the idea for the franchise after a weekend of paintballing with friends. If you look at the evolution of all the GoW's, each game's successor required more tactical gameplay, rifle play, and teamwork.

GoW1 was the greatest game because it didn't require 4 douchebags walking away spraying an entire clip of Lancer at you to kill you. No stopping power was a plus as well.

So basically Gears has had some of the same problems as Halo? I don't play it but some things sound familiar: degrading lethality, reliance on teamshot, poor maps. If they wanted it to be more like paintball, I can't imagine why they wouldn't go for quicker kills.

Nope, linky?

There are three different threads about it (two are locked), so I'll just give a quick summary with sources.

For the unaware, CBOAT has been a very reliable Xbox related leaker since '06 (before the 360 launched) and arguably the largest leaker of last gen. Since E3 '13, his leaks have been unusually anti-MS and half are wrong, half are right, which is even more unusual for him. In the Titanfall Alpha, the textures were "25% of the final product" (as said by Respawn). CBOAT said this wasn't true and the Alpha textures were the final product. The Titanfall Beta comes out and the textures dramatically improved, making CBOAT's rumor not true.

Today, CBOAT posted some odd rumors that the new party system that will be in the March update for the X1 will work differently for Titanfall. When entering Titanfall, it will change to a party system that is not supported by Xbox Live.

Source - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102134603&postcount=695

He then said that he's sticking to his rumor about the Alpha textures being the final product, despite what we saw in the beta. He also says that Titanfall isn't 792p (as said by Respawn), but it's 720p instead.

Source - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102134903&postcount=702

Now the juicy stuff. A Respawn employee then responded/challenged CBOAT that what he was saying is wrong and to bet his account on it.

Source - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102143144&postcount=220

CBOAT has not responded and then a GAF mod steps in threatening to ban CBOAT if he turns out to be wrong.

Source - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102143975&postcount=289

But wait, there's more!

Remember the Halo 2 Anniversary leaks, along with the other 20 leaks that came with it? That was ntkrnl who leaked it, who also said CBOAT "was played like a fiddle" (can't find this post for the life of me, but people talk about said quote in this thread if you want verification, be great if someone can find it), implying CBOAT was caught a while ago. There's been a lot of theories to come out of this since then. Below is the only thread still open where the CBOAT/ntkrnl/Respawn drama is being discussed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774590

• Upvote (+1) 2

Best Halo weapon name prob goes to the Mauler. Fits with the function of the weapon and the characteristics of the species that created it.

Darth Mauler

Why does no one veto Narrows? Why do people keep 3v3 Pit game types, but veto 3v3 Onslaught?

y wud u veto narrows. I'd keep 3v3 pit so I don't get 3v3 onslaught or con hill.

Though I always veto narrows because too many places to find cover immediately after engaging in a battle which causes me to get blood. aka top mid and mauler for the most part.

y wud u veto narrows. I'd keep 3v3 pit so I don't get 3v3 onslaught or con hill.

Though I always veto narrows because too many places to find cover immediately after engaging in a battle which causes me to get blood. aka top mid and mauler for the most part.

Why would you rather have a 3v3 on the biggest MLG map than on one of the smaller maps?

Construct Hill is also one of the best game types in the play list.