A Arena Shooter will always perform better with a single base movement speed(Around 120%-125% on Halo 4's scale) instead of a mechanic like Sprint that allows you to escape 99% of the bad decisions and encounters during a match.

What about Quake's strafe jumping?

Are they actually bad decisions if you know you have Sprint to utilize to your favor? Don't get me wrong Sprint is far from good, but the entire "bad decisions" point is so cliche and just flat-out intuitively wrong.

I feel like people just spit out such nonsense these days without even looking at the facts, or how game play is really effected. A Arena Shooter will always perform better with a single base movement speed(Around 120%-125% on Halo 4's scale) instead of a mechanic like Sprint that allows you to escape 99% of the bad decisions and encounters during a match.

Honestly I do not think people understand the flaws of Halo 4, or how poorly it has done since launch. I believe people buy Halo games to play a real Halo Campaign and Multiplayer experience, a Multiplayer that used to be very well done and unique as a title. Now to me it just feels like a copy of other games and weapons in Halo aesthetics instead.

The only experience I have had that even felt like I was still playing a game derived from the original trilogy is when I play Promod, Unity, settings as they both have a solid grip on how Halo Multiplayer and weaponry should perform. However, without Halos previous physics and De-Scope it will never feel like the game is completed and that is to bad honestly, and sadly I do not see 343 taking influence from mods even though they have balanced the weaponry so well :(.

The market's changed, and I think this newer generation of gamers are starting out on a different level from when the last generation of gamers started from. I feel lucky to grow up in the 90's where I've experienced a pretty big change in gaming throughout the decades. I remember playing games that were ridiculously hard as a kid, like battletoads or xmen or even that stupid lion king game. None had tutorials, none were easy, and they all made me think. Goldeneye didn't have a tutorial, and the controls were difficult to master. Halo didn't have any real tutorial, just checked your bearings and set you off into the first map.

The newer generation of FPS players haven't experienced long hours on more difficult games.  There is almost a sense of entitlement from them. You need to be rewarded, you need to have quick and easy gameplay. They want to balance the field by limiting the players. These guys most likely started with Halo 3, CoD 4, or Gears. Arena shooters have morphed into run/gun team based games, which arguably have less depth to them. I think developers pick up on this and are going with the trend. That's why Titanfall seems so refreshing to me. Advanced movement options and mechs? Should be interesting.

You realize I check site stats and have backend info you don't right? Posts aren't everything on forums.

Yeah and that means nothing to me if I'm going to post a thread in a section that nobody will respond to. Why would I care about views? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

What about Quake's strafe jumping?

Are they actually bad decisions if you know you have Sprint to utilize to your favor? Don't get me wrong Sprint is far from good, but the entire "bad decisions" point is so cliche and just flat-out intuitively wrong.

Yeah technically there can be exceptions, but I still think sprint is a bad mechanic, even if you know how to utilize it in your favor. What makes or breaks the mechanic to me is the fact that you are limited by an animation time instead of being able to utilize your reaction time. Circle jumping in Quake does not prevent you from doing anything, while improving your movement speed. Sprint unfortunately can be argued as more of a defensive mechanic due to it's limitations on offensive capabilities.

Circle jumping and Sprint are similar in theory but too different to compare.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah and that means nothing to me if I'm going to post a thread in a section that nobody will respond to. Why would I care about views? 

Just don't voice false claims, section is quite popular. Just becase you can't get more than 5 people to play doesn't mean you can throw blame at our forum sections.

Just don't voice false claims, section is quite popular. Just becase you can't get more than 5 people to play doesn't mean you can throw blame at our forum sections.

It's not a false claim. Like I said we have different opinions on the term quite popular. It's your site, I understand you care about views. It's just a forum to me, why would views matter? Posts are what matters, and that section is lacking, except GTA. I've seen others post the same thing.

Its ok to have different opinions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just dont understand why he says in that blog post that a game like Halo 3 would flop, and that Halo needs sprint to compete with call of duty and battlefield.

Well the current Halo title (Halo 4) has sprint, and is it not flopping? I mean the online population does not lie... Call of duty is built for sprint and to be frank plays a lot better with those features than a Halo title ever would.  The post literally blew my mind and further proves how disconnected the casual and competitive communities seem to be.  Now I know he does not speak for the entire casual scene but he is a part of Ready up Live - a popular casual halo group.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's not a false claim. Like I said we have different opinions on the term quite popular. It's your site, I understand you care about views. It's just a forum to me, why would views matter? Posts are what matters, and that section is lacking, except GTA. I've seen others post the same thing.

Its ok to have different opinions.

It's ok to have different opinions, it's ignorant to ignore facts. In this situation you are wrong.

It's ok to have different opinions, it's ignorant to ignore facts.

You're right I'm just ignoring ALL the facts you presented. How ignorant of me.

I already posted my numbers, and what matters to me. I don't need to see your info if the section tells me the number of posts, number of views, and the last date it was posted.

You're right I'm just ignoring ALL the facts you presented. How ignorant of me.

I already posted my numbers, and what matters to me. I don't need to see your info if the section tells me the number of posts, number of views, and the last date it was posted.

If you want to continue to pretend you know it all like you usually do, go for it. The rest of us will follow stats and actually numbers behind everything. Just don't try and put blame on us because Shadowrun is a dead game and only under a dozen want to play.

I just dont understand why he says in that blog post that a game like Halo 3 would flop, and that Halo needs sprint to compete with call of duty and battlefield.

Well the current Halo title (Halo 4) has sprint, and is it not flopping? I mean the online population does not lie... Call of duty is built for sprint and to be frank plays a lot better with those features than a Halo title ever would.  The post literally blew my mind and further proves how disconnected the casual and competitive communities seem to be.  Now I know he does not speak for the entire casual scene but he is a part of Ready up Live - a popular casual halo group.

I posted earlier that I think we are just dealing with a different era of gamers. I don't know that guys age, or his roots/experience, but if he hasn't dealt with earlier arena games, than I can understand his view on the subject. Sprint is so tricky because unless you break it down, you feel it can be used both offensively and defensively. You obviously can still use it offensively, but the majority of the times it's used as a get out of jail free card. For the casual player, it's something they use often, and get rewarded for doing so. It also gives the illusion of speeding up gameplay.

Combine the fact that sprint seems to now be the standard in FPS games, and now everyone wants it. I agree that sprint works with Call of Duty, and thats mainly because of the kill times and the fact that you are able to shoot right out of sprint no problem.

I spent COUNTLESS hours playing it. I reached Brigadier Grade 3 and a highest level of 46. I was pretty dang good at it.

I spent COUNTLESS hours playing it. I reached Brigadier Grade 3 and a highest level of 46. I was pretty dang good at it.

58630627-lol-reaction.gif

lol_george_takei.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you want to continue to pretend you know it all like you usually do, go for it. The rest of us will follow stats and actually numbers behind everything. Just don't try and put blame on us because Shadowrun is a dead game and only under a dozen want to play.

I was almost swayed by all the facts you presented me with. Feel free to try and explain how that section is quite popular. Stop getting emotional and saying I'm blaming you guys. I know one specific post I said posting anything in that section wouldn't be beneficial. I've posted a few times saying it wouldn't do well there. Is that wrong? Do you think a shadowrun thread would do well there? I'm not saying this site is terrible and it's the reason why we can't play shadowrun.

I don't see why this is such a hard concept to understand.

I was almost swayed by all the facts you presented me with. Feel free to try and explain how that section is quite popular. Stop getting emotional and saying I'm blaming you guys. I know one specific post I said posting anything in that section wouldn't be beneficial. I've posted a few times saying it wouldn't do well there. Is that wrong? Do you think a shadowrun thread would do well there? I'm not saying this site is terrible and it's the reason why we can't play shadowrun.

I don't see why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Shadowrun wouldn't do well anywhere on any site.

Shadowrun wouldn't do well anywhere on any site.

I think you're breaking some ground here. Shadowrun thread would most likely benefit from more views in a Halo section. A shadowrun thread would most likely not benefit as well if it was in the general gaming section. That's all I've said and you can imply whatever you wish here. Others have said it too here.

So again, feel free to present all these facts to me. It would probably do more good than insulting me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think you're breaking some ground here. Shadowrun thread would most likely benefit from more views in a Halo section. A shadowrun thread would most likely not benefit as well if it was in the general gaming section. That's all I've said and you can imply whatever you wish here. Others have said it too here.

So again, feel free to present all these facts to me. It would probably do more good than insulting me.

Our stats are our own, but there won't be a Shadowrun thread in GD. Even if there was there would probably be a good 5-10 posts then it would die, but at this rate you would probably try and bump the thread out of spite than actually trying to form a group to play.

It's a dead game, dead dead dead. It's gone, never coming back. 90's band, 98 degrees, Backstreet Boys, Sugar Ray. It's long gone and never coming back. Instead of trying to actually debate it, why not go and do something about it? Crazy I know right.

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

Quake has nothing to do with that, the mechanics in Quake are not comparable to Sprint, Quake also has higher base movement speed. Sprint does not fit into Halo's game play and the map designs suffer tremendously since Sprint was implemented in Reach with the overabundance of lazy cover and bad geometry, coupled with over sized, scaled, maps have hurt this franchise so bad.

Adding new movement mechanics and elements is generally not a bad thing, it all depends on if the game itself was actually designed to support such mechanics. Honestly Halo has a hard time supporting drastically new mechanics without being completely ripped apart at its seams, by this point its clear what works and what does not.

Looking at Titanfall for instance clearly shows the game was designed from the ground up to support movement options like wall jumping, climbing, fast paced gameplay and agile mechs. All of Titanfalls mechanics are built into its core mechanics and it looks excellent and balanced due to it. Titanfall will be the next big addictive mech franchise coming off other shooters such as Tribes and Mechwarrior honestly and a unique shooter in its own ways.

Halo really needs to find its own direction and mechanics, instead of copying existing mechanics from other games if it really wants to find success. For me that means mechanics that actually work with the game and improve its game play, map design, as well as fun factor and addictive elements. Having a repeat where all of these very frustrating mechanics are simply copied and pasted straight into Halo from games like CoD, Crysis, since Halo Reach, are just going to destroy the games core once again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Teapot Do you have a shadowrun thread? If not I will make one in general gaming, I like the game

Crazy good idea.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Our stats are our own, but there won't be a Shadowrun thread in GD. Even if there was there would probably be a good 5-10 posts then it would die, but at this rate you would probably try and bump the thread out of spite then actually trying to form a group to play.

It's a dead game, dead dead dead. It's gone, never coming back. 90's band, 90 degrees. It's long gone and never coming back.

Then why throw "stats" around telling me I'm ignorant, my opinion is wrong, and I think I know everything as usual, if you have no intention of shedding anymore light on the subject?

I wasn't ever going to post in GD or Halo section, so no, I wouldn't have. Again, I appreciate your kind words in assuming I would do so just out of spite. It's the exact opposite, I haven't made a thread and instead I'm just looking on getting a small group to play. Anything else you want to tell me?

What do you have the stats on shadowrun too? There have been over a dozen shadowrun tournaments over the last 6-8 months. Katana tournaments, Pro tournaments, Am tournaments, Mixed tournaments, 1v1's and all sort of misc games. The pub scene is still strong and there are usually 4 lobbies up at most times. Takes less time to find a match than Halo 4.

@@Teapot Do you have a shadowrun thread? If not I will make one in general gaming, I like the game

Go for it as long as know you are going to update it. Try to dig up some other shadowrun threads and take the info from there. It should be more than just a list of GT's in my opinion, but hey, it's your thread.

Then why throw "stats" around telling me I'm ignorant, my opinion is wrong, and I think I know everything as usual, if you have no intention of shedding anymore light on the subject?

I wasn't ever going to post in GD or Halo section, so no, I wouldn't have. Again, I appreciate your kind words in assuming I would do so just out of spite. It's the exact opposite, I haven't made a thread and instead I'm just looking on getting a small group to play. Anything else you want to tell me?

What do you have the stats on shadowrun too? There have been over a dozen shadowrun tournaments over the last 6-8 months. Katana tournaments, Pro tournaments, Am tournaments, Mixed tournaments, 1v1's and all sort of misc games. The pub scene is still strong and there are usually 4 lobbies up at most times. Takes less time to find a match than Halo 4.

That's great it has a very small scene, doesn't change the fact that it won't be that popular here. Go make a thread or joins Frosty if you feel strongly instead of pouting.

This is one of the dumbest debates I've ever been apart of. I swear some of you guys just argue to argue, are you all former debate team members or something? Good god.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's great it has a very small scene, doesn't change the fact that it won't be that popular here. Go make a thread or joins Frosty. This is one of the dumbest debates I've ever been apart of.

because it didn't have to be a debate. You just assumed I was blaming your site and just kept trying to throw insults in with your posts. I never stated shadowrun would excel anywhere else. Once we both agreed it wouldn't live long in GD I think we started to clear the confusion.

what you call debate, I call having to clarify because you assumed I meant something else.

Comes down to the facts, population numbers, and support people have for the original trilogy games that shows people want a Halo game, not some hybrid of every popular game on the market. Crisis 2 and 3, as well as Gears of War Judgment and Halo Reach, Halo 4, have all tried to copy mechanics found in other games. In the end each title has suffered, and died right out either immediately or quickly over time, proving when you abandon what works for something that was never meant to belong in your game you end up with a failure. Instead of doing the right thing and introducing gradual improvements and changes while trying to just continue to be true to their core and a working formula found in the previous games, they in the end abandoned their core and fans in search of money and casual gamers attention.

I think developers completely forget that Casual Gamers are considered just that because they play a game for a short period and then move on, they do not stick around or provide any feedback for developers. Its a fact that once you scorn your own core audience by trying to seek another and change the entire core and experience of the game that you will lose credibility and people will simply abandon your game, such a drastic change is very harmful to video games and the fans of them.

Some video games simply are not designed to handle certain new additions, that's a simple concept to understand, especially when it concerns how Halo has changed.