Lets be real here. Halo 1 would make any Halo map ever play well. You could throw Sword base into CE and the combination of nades, force spawning, the 3sk death cannon, and quick power items would make it play well.

Does one judge a map off of how it performs in the game it is in, or does one judge the map off of how it would perform in other games of the same franchise?

This is perfect.

This why you need to be objective when looking at a map. You might not enjoy how it plays in Halo Reach or Halo 4, but just think about putting the map into Halo CE or Halo 2 and how it would play. The reason I liked every Halo 2 map was because of how good the game played. Halo 3's gameplay wasn't as good as Halo 2's, so I actually started not liking certain maps (Snowbound, Epitaph, Isolation). But all 3 of those maps could probably work in Halo 1/2. 

oh snap

To be fair when this site launched it didn't look all that different from THC. It's just that it's an effective layout. Plus the fact that part of it is wordpress plugins I believe.

1) You only said "maps" originally. You didn't say "competitive maps". Halo 3's BTB maps are far better than CE's, by a mile - most BTB enthusiasts will tell you this. H3 has better 4v4 maps too. Just like everything else about CE, its maps only stand out in 2v2.

That makes no sense. CE's shooting mechanics make BTB much more manageable considering most of the arena maps were already too big for the BR. Complete nonsense. BG>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything in later Halo's and it actually plays well.

2) Prisoner is a terribly linear design - it's as bad as you can make a vertical single-atrium design.

WHAT THE FUCK..............

3) Hang 'Em High is an absolute joke of a design, nothing more or less. Just look at that map (the ridiculous cover on the floor, the ridiculous catwalks). I take Boarding Action and Chiron more seriously as designs than HeH. If HeH/Tombstone never existed and a Forger/designer made that exact design (even in Custom Edition), they'd be laughed at.

What are you talking about. I don't really like HeH, but it was one of the hardest/most skillful maps ever.

4) Wizard is another awful design (with a god-awful weapon layout that didn't help), and was barely salvaged in Halo 2 in the form of Warlock. Same goes with Battle Creek to Beaver Creek.

Meh.

5) Damnation is fantastic. Chill Out is great. Derelict is good, but suffers from its dependency on teleporters. Desolation, as a design, is better

If anything, derelict was totally broken if shit wasn't nadeable.

WOW. Calls the GOAT map shit. What in the fuck.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Except Ghost, that what happened is a consequence of bullet magnetism. The fundamental difference is that you can 3sk across half of BG, while you're probably unloading 2 clips before killing someone across snipe towers on Pit.

So, if Halo 3 had bullet magnetism, then you're saying we wouldn't be experiencing the issues of cross-map shooting, correct? Just trying to clarify, not trying to startle anyone. Certainly crazy to think about.

In his defense, the Halo:CE spawn system was the redeeming quality for all of those maps, mainly in regards to 2v2 play. If we took some of the later titles' smaller maps and threw them into Halo:CE accompanied by the Halo:CE mechanics, we'd definitely see some high-quality gameplay.

Nevertheless, the bottom line is that Halo:CE encompassed a unified vision that provided unmatched FFA, 1v1, and 2v2 gameplay. Even though Halo:CE's 4v4 and 8v8 gameplay was solid, it can still be contested by later titles in the franchise.

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 6

So, if Halo 3 had bullet magnetism, then you're saying we wouldn't be experiencing the issues of cross-map shooting, correct? Just trying to clarify, not trying to startle anyone. Certainly crazy to think about.

In his defense, the Halo:CE spawn system was the redeeming quality for all of those maps, mainly in regards to 2v2 play. If we took some of the later titles' smaller maps and threw them into Halo:CE accompanied by the Halo:CE mechanics, we'd definitely see some high-quality gameplay

-Ghost

No. Halo 4 has very high magnetism, and the BR is still the most random of all primary weapons.

It's a lot more than the spawn system. It was the grenades, the ability to move weapons with explosives, a .6 second killtime weapon, descope, an accurate primary, BLB, and everything else that sets CE apart from every other game in the series.

In his defense, the Halo:CE spawn system was the redeeming quality for all of those maps, mainly in regards to 2v2 play. If we took some of the later titles' smaller maps and threw them into Halo:CE accompanied by the Halo:CE mechanics, we'd definitely see some high-quality gameplay.

Nevertheless, the bottom line is that Halo:CE encompassed a unified vision that provided unmatched FFA, 1v1, and 2v2 gameplay. Even though Halo:CE's 4v4 and 8v8 gameplay was solid, it can still be contested by later titles in the franchise.

-Ghost

I agree with all of this. Halo 1 is the most competitive in a 1v1 and 2v2 environment and obviously my personal favorite. It just isn't made for 4v4s the way H2 and H3 were. I love all three games.

^ i know i'm much happier now :D.

I'm also very bored at this moment... Got nothing to do right now, and i'm sorta halo'd out after the last few days. The grind got a little to "real". I needs a break.

The design itself is awful. How the map played in CE was great.

Both can be true.

But if there's something I've learned from the ORD days, it's that you will say anything and everything to defend anything about CE, almost to the point where you post in a way that is almost an exaggerated parody of CE diehards.

You saying Blood Gulch is the greatest BTB design Halo has ever had to offer is just one of many hyperboles of yours that has lead me to think the above.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm starting to get a little confused with this talk about bullet magnetism. Not really sure what point any of you are trying to make any longer, but H3 does have fairly generous bullet magnetism, however the effect of that is depreciated the further a shot travels due to the distance between the three bullets getting wider to the point that in most situations the spread mechanic appears to be the "stronger" of the two.

What I'm somewhat curious about is the effect of bullet magnetism in Halo 3 within the range that BR bullets travel in a single frame, because within that distance no shot leading is required and the spread shouldn't have the opportunity to effect the amount of shots taken to kill a player. The results of that particular test would open up more direct comparisons to the hitscan BRs of Halo 2 and 4.

can you sue them if they are using the same html code?

Yea, please sue me

^ i know i'm much happier now :D.

I'm also very bored at this moment... Got nothing to do right now, and i'm sorta halo'd out after the last few days. The grind got a little to "real". I needs a break.

If you want, wanna run some SF4 in a bit?

That goes for anyone btw

Yea, please sue me

They can't, considering THC's layout was very similar to The Verge's at the time.

I'm still trying to figure out why this became a big discussion, like people actually thought Halo 3 took more skill than Halo 1.

• Upvote (+1) 1