Hey, what are your thoughts about Splitgate: Arena Warfare? It's a mix between Halo and Portal:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Back in the US again, will be shitposting and playing Halo again. Missed ya goons.

I played a bit of Splitgate and first impressions are mixed.

It oddly shares some of the aspects I like about Ce, but still a very diffrent game.  The guns kill fast (coincidentally pistol is also a 3hsk), there's a small yet focused weapon sandbox, maps are nice and vertical.  Portal system is nowhere near as much of a nuisance as I thought it would be, with few portal surfaces and being placed intelligently (except on the giant maps where you just get constantly  sniped from behind).  Pretty good aiming skillgap (hitscan but with comparatively small hitboxes) though strafe could definitely be crisper.  And right out of the box you can already disable the gimmicks and fine tune speed and such.  

But that's all the good I have to say about it.

The visuals are awful.  On highest quality it looks like someone smudged the entire screen, oddly enough lowering post processing and AA actually makes it look better somehow.  Armor Textures look incredibly muddy even on Epic.  And there's SO much visual noise getting in the way of clarity, not to mention how map parts aren't distinguished well.  Frametimes don't feel consistently smooth even when I lower settings as much as I can  (And trust me my 2k PC isn't the problem. )  The developers have announced optimization patches though so we'll see.

Aiming doesn't feel as crisp as it should.  The FoV also only maxes out at 103...like it's a lot better than 70 but seriously come on, should go up to at least 120.   Well, at least the FPS is uncapped...

Weapon balance is a bit questionable  (surprise surprise, strong autos).  Sprint is also a thing, though the weapon recovery delay isn't bad.

Regardless it's free.  I would recommend people give it a try and form their own impressions, nothing to lose.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@Ramirez77 I feel Splitgate has a lot of potential as a title. They definitely need to clean up their artstyle a lot, however. Visual noise galore. Game needs a console release so we can see how it plays out there.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:43 AM, Ramirez77 said:

I played a bit of Splitgate and first impressions are mixed.

It oddly shares some of the aspects I like about Ce, but still a very diffrent game.  The guns kill fast (coincidentally pistol is also a 3hsk), there's a small yet focused weapon sandbox, maps are nice and vertical.  Portal system is nowhere near as much of a nuisance as I thought it would be, with few portal surfaces and being placed intelligently (except on the giant maps where you just get constantly  sniped from behind).  Pretty good aiming skillgap (hitscan but with comparatively small hitboxes) though strafe could definitely be crisper.  And right out of the box you can already disable the gimmicks and fine tune speed and such.  

But that's all the good I have to say about it.

The visuals are awful.  On highest quality it looks like someone smudged the entire screen, oddly enough lowering post processing and AA actually makes it look better somehow.  Armor Textures look incredibly muddy even on Epic.  And there's SO much visual noise getting in the way of clarity, not to mention how map parts aren't distinguished well.  Frametimes don't feel consistently smooth even when I lower settings as much as I can  (And trust me my 2k PC isn't the problem. )  The developers have announced optimization patches though so we'll see.

Aiming doesn't feel as crisp as it should.  The FoV also only maxes out at 103...like it's a lot better than 70 but seriously come on, should go up to at least 120.   Well, at least the FPS is uncapped...

Weapon balance is a bit questionable  (surprise surprise, strong autos).  Sprint is also a thing, though the weapon recovery delay isn't bad.

Regardless it's free.  I would recommend people give it a try and form their own impressions, nothing to lose.

I haven't played since one of the beta play tests a few months ago, so my thoughts might be slightly off.

I'd compare it more to Modern Halo (Jetpack/Sprint) with portals. Pistol does have a good TTK, but its much easier to miss shows raising its average kill time up a little bit. Like you mentioned the autos are strong, higher TTK, but much closer Average. Missing 1-2 shots with the pistols means you pretty much lost the fight. The AR has way too much range, you'll win even mid range battles if someone missed. 

I'm not a huge fan of the sandbox at all. The plasma rifle and SMG don't feel like worth picking up and the BR has range, but most maps are small enough that it doesn't make a difference. I still pick it up over the pistol just because I feel like I hit shots easier, but I'm not sure if thats because the reticule is bigger or its just a placebo. Thats the sandbox, 3 weapons, outside of power weapons. Shotgun is fine, short range, high damage. Rockets are fine. Sniper can be stupid easy to hit headshots sometimes unscoped. 

I didn't have any issues with the visuals at all. I feel like it was a bit grainy and motion blur in the early days, but it continually got better as time went on. The art direction is complete garbage though. I only ever go up to 100 in FoV so it works well enough with me. 

I’ve always thought large portals that players can look, shoot, and move through could be a cool gimmick for one map in Halo.  Rather than players placing portals wherever they want, the map designer would build the map around a few of them as permanent structures.

With freestanding Stargates, meaning one side of the portal isn’t built into a wall, both sides of two portals could be linked, giving different views depending on which side you are looking through, in addition to what angle you are looking in at.

Since the portals would be large enough to drive a Warthog through, they lend themselves to vehicular gameplay more than a standard teleporter.  Not to mention, you would need a large enough map to make the concept of instant access to a distant area worthwhile. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think I bought Bravo’s old tennis racket today.

uuMGuNy.jpg

hiUGqqk.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

I am going to play the unholy fuck out of Doom Eternal. That (and MCC) might be the only shooter I play in 2020.

So here's some of my takeaways from E3 so far:

1. Everyone seems to think streaming is the future of gaming. Which I think has some potential to be great. 

2. I was thinking they'd introduce a new VR headset to go with the new Xbox. No word about this right?

3. So that's all the info we're getting about Infinite? I was hoping for some more details.

4. I want my Reach for MCC!

Anyone been playing Batallion 1944? Pretty much cod snd with a simple money system.

I picked up Witcher 3 Complete Edition for $15. Good buy or no?

• Upvote (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

I picked up Witcher 3 Complete Edition for $15. Good buy or no?

Its a great price to content ratio. 

I've tried to play Witcher 3 probably 4 or 5 times and its definitely an interesting and beautiful world. The combat system just isn't my thing though, I get sick of it within a couple hours of play, I try to power through, but it never works out. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's a great game with a ton of stuff to do in it. I'm still in the middle of my second play through, but hopefully I'll get to it again eventually.

I was blown away when I first started Red Dead Redemption 2. But now it just feels like a chore to play. And for the 2nd time now I've done a mission and then got off the game and after I got back on it didn't save. So frustrating.

I picked up the new Crash Team Racing game I was having a great time with that. Haven't played a racing game in so long and I grew up playing the original CTR.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Happy birthday @Riddler! Looking forward to hanging out again in August.

Thanks lol. And yeah we need to catch some games. Before i forget, u and knighty should play a series while Commentating if kk is coming   . Cant remember if he is or not while writig. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Riddler said:

Thanks lol. And yeah we need to catch some games. Before i forget, u and knighty should play a series while Commentating if kk is coming   . Cant remember if he is or not while writig. 

Yeah he'll be there!

So like, do any of ya even still play Halo or am I the only one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PLaTaNo said:

So like, do any of ya even still play Halo or am I the only one.

I'm on MCC all the time, and sometimes play BTB in H5.

On 7/3/2019 at 7:26 AM, Hard Way said:

I'm on MCC all the time, and sometimes play BTB in H5.

I’ll download H5 if you teach me how to play that horrendous game, add me. Always on H3. DiRtY PLaTaNo.

• Like (+1) 1

Some 13 year old fortnite kid that goes by the name gold just called me fake gold and that’s annoyed me more than it should’ve done lol.  

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Solo queue HELL has gotten me to a 39 in Team Hardcore, I need assistance.

Muthafuckin' TOOL about to overtake Taylor Swift as the top selling album in the US. Reading some of the reactions from Swift fans has been hilarious. Fear Inoculum is excellent, and TOOL deserve this praise.