On 1/10/2019 at 10:49 PM, Jake Teh Nub said:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

So I guess Bungie split with Activision and gets to keep full rights to Destiny. Hopefully this will be a good thing for the game. Honestly I don't think they should have ever paired with them in the first place.

Its not guaranteed to be a good thing IMO. They have a lot on their plate now to handle. I think most people just want Destiny to be released as a complete game and not have to pay an arm and a leg for DLC.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, Destroyaaa said:

Its not guaranteed to be a good thing IMO. They have a lot on their plate now to handle. I think most people just want Destiny to be released as a complete game and not have to pay an arm and a leg for DLC.

I think they should add all the weapons/ worlds/maps from destiny 1 to destiny 2,  then just keep making updates to that.  kinda like wow or something.  

18 hours ago, Gold said:

I think they should add all the weapons/ worlds/maps from destiny 1 to destiny 2,  then just keep making updates to that.  kinda like wow or something.  

For free :prayers:

Last word on pc feels so good! Just feels like destiny 1 on pc. 

Recently got called out by some good friends of mine that I'm not a real gamer because I've missed out on some many franchises by sticking mainly with Halo and Smash.  Got me thinking, although I consider myself more of a "Hardcore" gamer, there are indeed a plethora of classic titles and series I have never played once.  And maybe this does skew my view of how the direction I feel my favorite franchise should be taken.  The list of what I haven't tried is so large at this point that I don't even know where to begin...

Spoiler

Metal Gear Solid
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Resident Evil
Uncharted
Bioshock
Guilty Gear
Dark Souls
Battlefield
Killer Instinct
Overwatch
Portal
Half Life
Counter Strike
Doom
Fallout
Super Mario Bros
Shadow of Colossus
Donkey Kong
Diablo
Starcraft
Starfox
Kirby
Mass Effect
World of Warcraft
Tomb Raider
Sonic the Hedgehog
Madden
NBA 2K
Final Fantasy
Borderlands
Far Cry
Devil May Cry
Prince of Persia
Assassin's Creed
Jak & Dexter
Ratchet & Clank
King of Fighters
Fable
Destiny
Batman Arkham
Pikmin
Fire Emblem 
PubG

• Like (+1) 1

Bro you’ve never played ALL of those series? Have you lived in North Korea your entire life?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PLaTaNo said:

Bro you’ve never played ALL of those series? Have you lived in North Korea your entire life?

Haha no.  I've played a lot of different games and series, just none of the ones I listed above.  I always had other hobbies growing up as well, mainly football/basketball and music.  It just seems like a daunting task to begin especially since many of those series I mentioned have multiple "classics" within them.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:03 PM, Squatting Bear said:

Haha no.  I've played a lot of different games and series, just none of the ones I listed above.  I always had other hobbies growing up as well, mainly football/basketball and music.  It just seems like a daunting task to begin especially since many of those series I mentioned have multiple "classics" within them.

Play Metal Gear Solid through 1-4.

Games are magical.

Same. Tho it is much cheaper being a hardcore gamer because ur not buying 10-20 games per year and u can stick to one console. I got pals that rotate through all the mmos. They dropped close to 500 dollars on albion online and black desert online only within a year of each other.  

Ive only played a few too. Smash halo and runescape were my main games. Wow, pokemon were the side bitches. Mario party/kart and quake or cs here and there. Every other game is pre halo which was spyro, crash, dyansty warriors, kirby, dbz budokais,and random games my parents got me before halo 2. I did play through mario sunshine, minish cap and twilight princess but never replayed them. Ive never even tried to play mario bros  

actually damn.  i played so many games before halo 2  than the ones listed. H2 was just crack  

Play super mario, half life, portal, fable for single player. The first two are the classics  

Its not on ur list but halo mp is considered quake lite. You might want to try that after u play through half life and portal (get u used to aiming on pc). Quake 3/live and counterstrike are the classic fps mp. 

• Like (+1) 1

In my opinion not missing much with half that list, but there are some games you should definitely try to broaden your perspective.

Just my general thoughts on the franchises and where it's best to start:

Both Portals are amazing games.  There's good reason they're so widely renowned.

DooM1 and DooM2 still hold up really well actually.  The gunplay is really basic but it can be challenging in spite of that and the levels are incredibly in-depth and rewarding to explore, and the sandbox is small and focused where every gun has a specific purpose, medic and ammo layouts are just right.  Plus there's like infinite mods and custom campaigns for those games.  Talking purely about the vanilla game DooM2 is widely regarded to be a straight improvement over the original.  DooM 2016 is good but the level design isn't nearly as good and the pace of gameplay is noticeably slower.

Quake 1 Campaign is also very underrated and amazing with mods.  Great level designs, great sandbox design, pretty unique concept and setting.  The other Quakes are either (dead) MP only or have unimpressive campaigns.  

Dark Souls 1 is the Halo Ce of the franchise in terms of quality and following. And although it's known for the difficulty memes it's actually an artistic masterpiece as well, beautiful game with a very immersive world and story, definitely one of my favorite all time experiences. Dark Souls 3 feels like the true sequel to Dark Souls 1, maybe a bit too similar in some ways, but overall just as good.  Dark Souls 2 is...it's still a souls game but it feels notably different in aesthetics, story, combat, world design, etc. from the others.  It's still pretty good, just very evidently an off-shoot from the others.  Not much of it is referenced in DS3 either.  If you can only play one, then Dark Souls 1.

Fallout general consensus is the first two are good RPG's but their style of gameplay and age is a turnoff for most new players, New Vegas is the best because it takes the best storytelling / rpg aspects of the originals and combines it with modern gameplay, and the rest are either underwhelming (Fallout 3) or straight up The 4 territory (Fallout 4, Fallout 76).

Super Mario Bros 3 is like an expansion pack of the original that improves on everything, kind of the definitive 2D Mario game.  Super Mario World adds many distinct mechanics and is more of a unique game.  Super Mario Bros 2 is widely considered strange and mediocre compared to the others.

Borderlands 2 is much more humor/story focused than the original and has some new gameplay nuances that I'd consider an improvement overall, and you don't need to play the original to understand what's going on so it's probably the best place to start.  Borderlands Pre-Sequel feels like an expensive DLC and has been met with lukewarm reception in the fanbase, not really recommended unless you get into the franchise.

Resident Evil 1-4 are survival horror games that emphasize conservation of ammo and avoiding enemies, personal recommendation is RE4.  5 and 6 are more action shoot-it-all-up and co-op orientated and lose much of the suspense of the originals, good games but quite different.  RE7 doesn't even deserve to be called an RE game...it's mostly just a horror game.

Half-Life 1 is okay, much more linear and indoors than Half-Life 2 is, I think people would generally recommend Half-Life 2 instead, which to this day is considered one of the best campaign shooters ever made.  Black Mesa is a fanmade remake of Half-Life 1 but its like Halo 2 Anniversary;  it eliminates many of the skillful technical nuances of the original game in favor of a more "modern" experience.

CSS and CSGO are mostly the same aside from ultra specific mechanical nuances, the former having less content.  CS 1.6 is way more old school with things like bhopping still in-tact.  You'd have to do your research yourself but simple answer is just buy CSGO it's the most popular one.  Idunno to use an analogy it's like CS 1.6 is CE, CSS is H2, CSGO is H3...that actually pretty much how it is.

Overwatch is Over-rated.  Team Fortress 2 is a much better, more arena-like game.  And y'know, it's free.

Arkham City and Arkham Asylum are the best games, the former especially for it's great open world and variety of iconic DC villains.  Arkham Origins is kind of a rehash of Arkham City that doesn't feature much of the recognizable cast, mostly the more generic B-list villains, and Arkham Knight is mostly a weird tank game that doesn't focus on many characters aside from the Knight...and if you know the lore at all you can see the "twist" coming a mile away.

• Like (+1) 2

Small list of game I would consider must plays, I'll try to be varied a bit.

Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Diablo 2 (I actually prefer the original game, but its much harder to play on modern computers)
The Last of Us
Dead Space
Mass Effect
Final Fantasy IX
Bioshock
Megaman X
TES: Morrowind
Super Mario World
Mario Odyssey
Sonic Mania or 3 & Knuckles
Dark Souls 3
Portal

8 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Half-Life 1 is okay, much more linear and indoors than Half-Life 2 is, I think people would generally recommend Half-Life 2 instead, which to this day is considered one of the best campaign shooters ever made.  Black Mesa is a fanmade remake of Half-Life 1 but its like Halo 2 Anniversary;  it eliminates many of the skillful technical nuances of the original game in favor of a more "modern" experience. 

I'm in the Half Life 1 camp and for a casual player I'd recommend Black Mesa over the original. The boat section of Half Life 2 is one of the worst sections of gaming I've ever played for one of the "best" games ever. However I didn't play these games until much later and HL2 is still a very very good game.

I found a copy of Are You Afraid of the Dark: The Tale of Orpheo’s Curse (1994), in the back of my car. We’re streaming it tonight if you wanna hang out. www.twitch.tv/hard_vvay

Edit: this game is way better than I remember it. We had a blast getting through the first half of the game. We’ll finish the 2nd half when my buddy gets back from vacation in 2 weeks. The rebroadcast is pretty damn entertaining, if I’m not too biased. I played this game a bunch when I was 7, but never beat it. So my desire to beat the game is through the roof.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just picked up an SNES Classic yesterday.  The Legend of Zelda:  A Link to the Past and Super Mario World are great games.  Haven’t even touched Donkey Kong Country or Street Fighter II Turbo yet.  I haven’t been this excited to play games in a long time.  SNES Zelda was the first game that really blew me away.

• Like (+1) 3

Does anyone remember a fan-made Halo browser game with RPG elements? For the life of me I can't remember the site. It was made some time after Halo 3 launched.

You could make your own spartan character, customize your armor (it used Halo 3 armor), and raise your stats. I believe some of the stats were Attack, Defense, Agility, etc. You could attack other players and the battle results would appear seconds later. You also had a win/loss record.

Pretty sure it got taken down due to copyright so it wasn't up for too long. I remember logging into that shit everyday.

EDIT: It was Halo Crusades. Oh the nostalgia.

I forgot to grab the Moon Pearl before I entered the Dark World and now I’m stuck as a bunny!

Anyone else notice the parallels between Zelda and a Stranger Things; Dark World/Upside Down?

The Wizard was on TV earlier.  Have there been any other good movies about video games?

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

The Wizard was on TV earlier.  Have there been any other good movies about video games?

You liked The Wizard?

If documentaries count, I liked King of Kong. I remember liking Scott Pilgrim bit it's been a number of years since I've seen it, not about a specific game or brand but it's kind of like a video game love letter.

2 minutes ago, Silos said:

You liked The Wizard?

If documentaries count, I liked King of Kong. I remember liking Scott Pilgrim bit it's been a number of years since I've seen it, not about a specific game or brand but it's kind of like a video game love letter.

I don’t remember if it was King of Kong but I did see a documentary about one of the guys involved in it cheating on arcade games and leaderboards and eventually getting caught.

We could also add Ready Player One to the list.  Good movie.

giphy.gif

Just now, Boyo said:

I don’t remember if it was King of Kong but I did see a documentary about one of the guys involved in it cheating on arcade games and leaderboards and eventually getting caught.

We could also add Ready Player One to the list.  Good movie.

giphy.gif

There was some accusations about cheating in King of Kong but nothing confirmed. Years later the "antagonist" of King of Kong, Billy Mitchell, had enough evidence stacked against him so his scores were officially removed, but apparently almost every player has thought he cheated for years or at least the one player I talked to claimed that.

I still need to see Ready Player One, I didn't catch it in theaters and it quickly disappeared off my radar.

6 hours ago, Boyo said:

Tron