Sign in to follow this  
aksKyun

Are you/should we be worried about Halo?

For one thing with new games like Destiny and Titanfall come out, it's obviously in the category of a sci fi shooter and I've got to say they look AMAZING. Which means competition we still don't know much about their matchmaking systems but I don't know with games like these we're bound to lose some casuals if the game is theoretically better. Because I for one am worried for the future of Halo if Halo 5 is not a knock out.

Thoughts?

Here's the key. Halo is only going to succeed if it's DIFFERENT from the ADS based gameplay in Titanfall and Destiny. That means returning to classic gameplay and innovating off of that, instead of taking elements from other games. Halo can't be another space COD, there are already three (Destiny, Titanfall, Killzone) and there getting way more hype.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo has had to worried since Halo Reach, the "experiment" that ruined the Halo formula (Bungie hurt it, 343 killed it).

It's been said enough, but I truly think Halo has to go back to its roots (I suppose features like AA's can be kept, but accommodate them loosely, such as the use of pickups).

I realize the demand for games is changing, but how do we know Halo won't attract more fans (more than Reach and 4 I'm saying) by being a smooth, simple shooter again? Not having gameplay features like sprint shouldn't be looked at as a negative just because other shooters have them. On the other hand, it should be looked at as a good thing because no other game is focused on simplicity (in mechanics and in controls)

Innovation is underrated IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Here's the key. Halo is only going to succeed if it's DIFFERENT from the ADS based gameplay in Titanfall and Destiny. That means returning to classic gameplay and innovating off of that, instead of taking elements from other games. Halo can't be another space COD, there are already three (Destiny, Titanfall, Killzone) and there getting way more hype.

Halo has had to worried since Halo Reach, the "experiment" that ruined the Halo formula (Bungie hurt it, 343 killed it).

It's been said enough, but I truly think Halo has to go back to its roots (I suppose features like AA's can be kept, but accommodate them loosely, such as the use of pickups).

I want Halo to be its own game, for my personal enjoyment and for the game's longevity and well-being.

But even if we do that what if Destiny and Titanfall is way better? what then?

They still won't compete with Halo because they fill different niches in the market, and are released a year earlier. And just look at the gameplay trailers and interviews, it's pretty clear that a really good Halo would be better, at least MP wise.

This is what we do:

We choose not to care.

This was the problem in the first place: comparing Halo to other games. Sure, I completely agree that Destiny/Titanfall are more likely to do better. But that doesn't mean 343 should crowbar that kind of gameplay into Halo; it just doesn't work that way, and Halo 4 shows that. That said, if 343 notices non-gameplay features such as being able to link gameplay clips to youtube as CoD does it (correct me if I'm wrong), THAT is what they should copy.

But still, even if other games are doing better, 343 needs to stick to their guns (provided they wanted traditional Halo, which I can't prove that to be true) and Microsoft needs to stop being a greedy, pain-in-the-ass company and just let the developers create their game (which I realize will never happen).

Another thing I think people ignore is there are numerous people who play more than one game. It's silly to think that every single person that has gotten the call of duty games has never gotten any Halo games, and vice versa. Even for me, I hate the CoD franchise, but I've gotten CoD black ops onward to play with my brothers from time to time. It's completely normal that players want more than one kind of gaming experience, so they'll get more than one game over time. Plus, kids are commonly spoiled these days and get every game in existence for Christmas.

-

It's sad. I wish Halo could be itself again, but grow in features that don't mess with Halo's mechanics. Link gameplay clips to youtube accounts so people will want to improve and showcase their skill. Provide FAQ's and tips for improving, rather than narrowing the skill-gap immensely with gimmick after gimmick. Improve the way custom maps are created (provide tips for this too), so the game's replay value is larger. Provide the widest customization that can be imagined so players can play any kind of game they've ever dreamed of (It detracts from matchmaking, but they're still playing the game sold by 343 and continuing to support them).

Stuff like this will help convince people to play Halo. I wish 343 could read this. I have been worried about Halo since the release of Halo 4. A lot of people want to think Halo is done because the shooter genre has changed, but I don't want to believe that's true.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Haloisdad, therefore there is nothing to be worried about anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really dont mind if Halo never hits H3 MP numbers again for prolonged periods of time, but I am worried about the direction of Halo MP and I strongly disagree with it and so does the "majority" judging by H4's current population numbers.

You're just getting worried now?

^this

that bridge has already been burned.

I hate when people say this stuff, its extremely hard to find a FPS shooter that hasn't copied off of halo at some point or another.

I just feel like people COD for 4 (aswell as reach to a lesser extent) when in reality it has far more to do with 343i then it ever had to do with COD.

^this

that bridge has already been burned.

I hate when people say this stuff, its extremely hard to find a FPS shooter that hasn't copied off of halo at some point or another.

I just feel like people COD for 4 (aswell as reach to a lesser extent) when in reality it has far more to do with 343i then it ever had to do with COD.

Very true, especially sense 343/Microsoft deliberately destroyed Halo's Arena shoots effectively killing the only franchise like it on console, to copy the MMS formula which has failed miserably as we now can see. They did not need to do that Halo 3 was more successful than Reach being more Arena style and comp focused, they got greedy for a larger audience and with their arrogance 343 thought with a new Halo series they could do whatever they wanted to the gameplay formula and the fans would oblige well that is not the case.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now I had as much to complain about in Reach as the next guy, but I really don't think this is accurate. Reach was a spinoff/side story game where Bungie decided to try something new. Under all the new additions, the game still played like Halo.

Gameplay aside, Reach is also a better built game than Halo 4. Reach launched with file shares, Campaign Theater, great UI, a ranking system (not so great but there), classic settings (again, not so great but available), plenty of custom options, in-depth stats, and a robust Matchmaking system. Halo 4 launched with none of this. 

Halo is in the position it is right now because of Halo 4. 343 not only shipped an incomplete game, but they also decided to base  the gameplay off of a spinoff instead of Halo 3 (and by extension, the Halo trilogy). We should definitely be worried if they plan to make a sequel to Halo Reach/4 again instead of a sequel to the original trilogy. 

This is also a good point. Halo now more than ever needs to be its own thing. There are already games coming out that are going to fill the niche it's trying to move towards, and they will do it better than Halo ever could.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Personally, I'm just sick of hearing all the negativity in this community (and I'm sure others can agree). It honestly is just driving people away from this game and its community. I mean just look at the forum topics. LITERALLY every other thread is, oh, Halo is dad, these changes need to be made or else, no sprint is the reason why it's failing, 343 needs to listen, bungie did this, 343 didn't do that etc etc etc. the list just goes on. Quite frankly people are just tired of it and are leaving. People don't want to hear this crap every second in the community. And honestly, it seems the only thing the "pros" are worried about is the little fame that they still have remaining. Not saying all pros are but it seems quite a few. Not mention almost every game you join into your team does nothing but bitch and act like you're at the main stage on the throw down playlist, screaming and crying and belittling people to the point that they are sick of it. Everyone has witnessed and experienced it. It's the communities fault. Plain and simple.

But games that copied off of Halo hurt themselves. Consider quake. Q3 was probably the best MP game I ever played (Halo is still my favorite), delivering on almost exactly what the fans wanted. However, Quake 4 released with a distinctly Halo feel, (physics, weapons, gameplay) and the core fan base was alienated. Soon after, Quake stopped being the thing, and it even marked the downfall of Id studios.

But games that copied off of Halo hurt themselves. Consider quake. Q3 was probably the best MP game I ever played (Halo is still my favorite), delivering on almost exactly what the fans wanted. However, Quake 4 released with a distinctly Halo feel, (physics, weapons, gameplay) and the core fan base was alienated. Soon after, Quake stopped being the thing, and it even marked the downfall of Id studios.

id didn't dev Quake 4. Raven Software did. I also don't think id have fallen. Rage was brilliant. Quake fell due to a number of reasons. Interest in the game from a consumer level and ids desire to make the game, the shifting market, etc. I have compared the downfall of competitive Quake to that of Halos current fate many times though. The resemblance is striking. A lot of the Quake community feel id were never really supportive at all. I do get your original point though.

id didn't dev Quake 4. Raven Software did. I also don't think id have fallen. Rage was brilliant. Quake fell due to a number of reasons. Interest in the game from a consumer level and ids desire to make the game, the shifting market, etc. I have compared the downfall of competitive Quake to that of Halos current fate many times though. The resemblance is striking. A lot of the Quake community feel id were never really supportive at all. I do get your original point though.

sheeit I didn't even rememeber who developed Quake 4 because I didn't really care for the game, lol. Id has fallen in terms of spear-heading the shooter genre with new innovations. But at the very least, Id was more supportive of competitive play than Bungie.

For one thing with new games like Destiny and Titanfall come out, it's obviously in the category of a sci fi shooter and I've got to say they look AMAZING. Which means competition we still don't know much about their matchmaking systems but I don't know with games like these we're bound to lose some casuals if the game is theoretically better. Because I for one am worried for the future of Halo if Halo 5 is not a knock out.

Thoughts?

I think it would put a lot of people at ease if we had some substantial positive information about Halo 5's gameplay.

Now I had as much to complain about in Reach as the next guy, but I really don't think this is accurate. Reach was a spinoff/side story game where Bungie decided to try something new. Under all the new additions, the game still played like Halo.

Gameplay aside, Reach is also a better built game than Halo 4. Reach launched with file shares, Campaign Theater, great UI, a ranking system (not so great but there), classic settings (again, not so great but available), plenty of custom options, in-depth stats, and a robust Matchmaking system. Halo 4 launched with none of this. 

Halo is in the position it is right now because of Halo 4. 343 not only shipped an incomplete game, but they also decided to base  the gameplay off of a spinoff instead of Halo 3 (and by extension, the Halo trilogy). We should definitely be worried if they plan to make a sequel to Halo Reach/4 again instead of a sequel to the original trilogy.

This is why I said bungie "hurt" Halo before it was killed. I completely agree with you, though what I say hurt Halo reach was the use of armor abilities decided by loadouts that made the game unpredictable and chaotic. Also, the bloom along with bleedthrough (this mainly applied to melees) made for frustratingly difficult kills (in fact, this promoted the Sprint + Double Melee).

But yeah, Halo Reach is a much better built game than Halo 4. And Halo 4 helped me realize this.

I never expected Halo to be so transformed with the release of Halo 4. It left a huge void for my passion for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1