Lord Boobington

Should the next Halo Title have AA's?

I started playing Halo in Halo: Reach days. So maybe that is why my viewpoint is so much different then everybody else's. I love AA's. In my opinion they add a skill gap. It takes more skill to use an AA effectively. Like all the tricks you can do with a thruster pack, but if you are bad at the game the AA's won't help at all. I kind of get annoyed that everybody else wants the same game over and over again. I just don't understand...

This is ok if everyone started with the same AA. So either all Jetpacks, Thruster Packs, what ever... Like how better BR players do better.. Either way it would still be a shittier Halo game with more crutches. For the most part anyways.

none of what you said made any sense at all. You clearly do not understand the issues. Get better at the game of halo (get a 50 CSR at the very least in some playlist) and then come back and we'll talk more about this. I have found it impossible in the past to explain things to noobs because they have no theoretical grasp on the gameplay mechanics of halo, but if you improve than I will happily have this discussion.

Out of curiosity, what is your hightest rank in halo 2/3/ or halo 4?

So I don't have time play the game. But I can understand the game, and have out enough time in the game to understand the very basics. And high level talents, even if I don't necessarily have the talent to use those skills. What I'm trying to say about AAs is this, the broaden the skill sets of players. Look at the average Halo 4 gameplay, the person is constantly sprinting forward pushing the enemy, creating split spawns, and flipping the spawns putting their team in trouble.

Now compare that to some one like Ninja/ola/snipedown, and you see a destinct difference in how they use their sprint, they don't sprint half as much, and use it to support their teammates, rather then themselves. And that goes for most AAs , the shield is used by average players like a armour lock, whereas pros use it to support the obj (at a very basic level of the shield) the thruster pack is almost never used the the casual community, whereas it probably the most used by pros.

I'm not trying to say that the game is perfect (far from it), but of all the flaws in Halo 4, AAs are probably the least flawed. we should be talking about the lack of good maps, that both the casual and competitive community can enjoy. We should be talking about the sluggish response time when moving from one direction to another (and up and down), we should talk about the lack of modifiers in gametypes (hell in infected you can't even choose a fucking weapon come on), the lack of a social and ranked hoppers, the lack of a ranking system right out of the gate,

those are the game breaking flaws. Not AAs they're ok, and with tweaking can be truly competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Having Thruster Pack, Hologram or Hardlight Shield as a pick up AA in the middle of the map treated as a weapon doesn't seemed to be a bad idea, it doesn't reflect a lot of randomness and it only changes the gameplay a bit without breaking grounds. I mean, compared to Jetpack/Camo these AA's are used for competitive settings for a reason and don't destroy the game with a few tweaks they could be pretty useful, fun and competitive at the same time without issues.

I just think people take the AA's very bad because most of the time in MM people start with a random one, it would be kinda different if AA's can only be taken in-map not from loadouts.

AA's should never of been considered. Should never of been implemented. Keep the game basic. Add Ranks, a skill gap, and decent online gameplay and you have a good game.

After really thinking about it (and after thinking about the Smash Bros scene), I don't think AAs in casual playlists will kill the competitive scene. It will hurt no doubt to have differences between competitive and casual playlists but as long as it can be turned off and is by DEFAULT not an option in the competitive modes, it won't be a big deal. (kind of like turning off items in Smash Bros). The real issue is map design. We need maps that are playable without sprint and without armor abilities. That I'm not so convinced will happen. Especially if sprint is default and isn't returned to being an armor ability as it was in Reach. I really think map design isn't stressed enough when we bring up things we want to see in H5. I personally think we need about 5 on disk maps which serve the purpose of competitive play. Really, the competitive mode as a whole needs to be designed independently from whatever the next Infinity mode is. They can't design a mode like Infinity, strip everything off it, and expect it to play well. We saw how that worked out in the original H4 slayer pro at launch and even Legendary/ Legendary BRs to some extent. The classic halo mode needs to be designed and developed separately.

Screw AAs. They are for lazy ass Spartans. Halo 5 should start with Master Chief putting on his fancy new Mark X (why X, cause its "hip").

So he won't need no pansy-ass armour abilities. The new Mark X armour will make him fast all the time without sprint, and nimble and badass without the handycap of perks and armor mods. (But interesting the new armour will have a glitch that knocks you out of scope when shot.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they are to remain (which I would be perfectly fine with them leaving forever) they should be done as pickups on the map like in MLG Reach or similar to equipment in H3.

I think the biggest problem w/ AA's is that they just don't seem to add much fun to the game, while at the same time providing for a lot more frustration.  Sure seems like a lot of trouble to go through in terms of programming, balancing, etc. when the net effect is mostly negative.  With that said, I did like thruster pack - it added a bit more of an arcade element to the game.

Do i want them NO

Do i think we will see them in HALO 5 yes :(

Could we see them work as map pick ups ? (maybe)

Halo 5 has to be :goat:

I second this.

If AAs are in the general concept of AAs needs to be changed.

Hitzel would say this better, but the AAs are pretty much all defensive for the most part which makes the game essentially slower when it's a defensive type of game. If the AAs were more offensive and replace the recharge rate with some sort of power processor for the AA thAt you have to pick up from map pick ups. It would make better map movement and faster paced games if AAs were more offensive

• Upvote (+1) 2

What sucks is that Halo has seen both sides of this

We have had AA's in game

We have had NO AA's in Game

The true problem is SOME people enjoy them and some people don't.

So 343 has to try and make both types of Halo players Happy and willing to spend $60+ bucks for the next HALO game .

How can you mix all the good from Halo 3 /Reach / and Halo 4 and continue to gain New Halo fans .

Not an easy task that's for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1

AA's can definetly work and can make a game more competitive. The problem is 343/bungie thought being invincible and wall hacking were good ideas for AA's, so its safe to say they shouldnt try again because they will only  implement AA's in a way that are going to  hurt the game and make it even more random.

I'd say its 95% guaranteed we will get ALL the aa's we had plus many new ones because what we say doesnt matter. If we however tell how awesome AA's are they are just going to go even more overboard and make something so random it we couldnt have imagined in our worst nightmares.