Lord Boobington

Should the next Halo Title have AA's?

Replace AA's with universal new movement abilities, even class-based shooters like Titanfall are smart enough to universally give everyone a thruster pack and wall-jumping/running ability so the playing field is even, maps can be designed for every ability, and the gameplay is just more balanced. It makes no sense to me that Spartans with their uniform training and super power suits would not have "built in" AA's they all would be able to master.  I personally feel Titan-fall just raised the bar in terms of movement systems in modern shooters go on console, Halo being the most successful Sci-fi game with super-soldiers and "Sandbox style gameplay" should not be out-done when it comes to Sandbox gameplay. I personally feel a wall-running/jumping ability and a possible  thruster pack for air-strafing/suick dodges in FP would be fun as hell and take advantage of the games verticality/map geometry without needing to break the map with jetpack or use lifts.

Yeah, built in thruster pack to replace sprint (able to remove in custom options). Most people playing Halo don't expect sprint, but they probably want some cool sci-fi stuff instead.

Power Drain could work as a rare Grenade type as well, I initially thought the Pulse Grenade would act as a successor to the Power Drain Equipment, but the Pulse Grenade is not nearly as useful or unique. I like the idea of seeing the Power Drain return, but as a Grenade type, one that would be rarely found on a Map with more than 2 spawns so it could be contested over due to its usefulness.

Honestly, most of these AA's and Equipment, would work as a form of Power-Up, Grenade, or Weapon, of some type, instead of what they are trying to force AA's to be, which is a broken concept.

I thought the same thing before they even the showed the pulse grenade. The flare and power drain would've been far more usefulf and less "stupid" if they were needs instead of these big balls that you through at your opponent. Obviously the powerdrain is extremely powerful so like you said it would need to be looked at kind of like a "power nade". I unno about the flare/flashbang and how that would work. 

No.  It was useful in Team Slayer.  Not in MLG.

Care to elaborate instead of just saying "no"?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the Power Drain was more like a Pulse Grenade in that it didn't roll after activating, had a smaller AoE, and didn't last quite as long as I don't think it would be a bad thing.

Remake it as an EMP grenade - it's physics are essentially the same as the Pulse grenade but it can jam vehicles and strips shields very quickly. The EMP effect would have no effect on health but the small detonation as it times out could be lethal to unshielded players who are very close.

As for the flare, that was always kind of silly since it lasted so long and affected everyone indiscriminately. I can't think of a way to introduce it back to Halo in a way that would either fit the gameplay, fit the canon, or really be all that fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, built in thruster pack to replace sprint (able to remove in custom options). Most people playing Halo don't expect sprint, but they probably want some cool sci-fi stuff instead.

Exactly, people just want a fun sci-fi Sandbox game from Halo yet 343 thinks load-outs and progression systems/specializations are the future of Halo IMO. Titanfall's new movement abilities looked so much tighter/more competitive and less game-breaking than AA's like jet-pack and camo and they actually add different ways for players to move around maps and out-maneuver their enemies in battle without breaking the game. AA's need to be universal in Arena shooters, UT's evade worked because EVERYONE had the ability to evade, you cant have a half-ass class system like AA's fucking up the entire premise of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Loadouts should be scrapped rather than AAs. Everyone needs to start on equal footing. 

They're fine for powerups although some are much better than others, but you should only be able to start with them in customs or quirky action sac gametypes. 

The one I want removed the most and that absolutely needs to go: Active Camo. They turned the best offensive power up ever into a camping tool. So frustrating. I want back an Active Camo orb  I run into to pick up and which I can move into a different position with a well placed grenade. (This also should apply to OS, Speed boost and Damage boost)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Everybody having thruster pack would suck.  Forget strafing- people would have a field day thrustering back to the nearest cover and then running away.  It would take out the skill in cover-based engagements.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, I would not want to see active camo as even a map-pickup since it only works when you aren't moving a.k.a. it promotes camping as opposed to dynamic engagements like camo in halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think all of the AAs except Jet-Pack and Promethean Vision should return. They should be map pickups instead of loadout options. Camo should be a power-up.

AAs have never raised the skill gap.

two words, pistola's shield. Another two words, thrust flag, and finally shield extract. People are just biased and incapable of seeing the positives of change. EX what people think of when sprint is talked about, sprinting away from people. Instead of sprinting into position to help teammates
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

two words, pistola's shield. Another two words, thrust flag, and finally shield extract. People are just biased and incapable of seeing the positives of change. EX what people think of when sprint is talked about, sprinting away from people. Instead of sprinting into position to help teammates

yeah no.   There is a hell of a lot wrong with sprint.  This is not a matter of glass half empty/half full, this is a matter of understanding basic game mechanics.   

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

While we're on the topic of sprint, how would we feel about sprint as equipment?  7-10ish seconds per sprint, maybe while retaining the ability to shoot.  Possible speed boost alternative?

I thought the same thing before they even the showed the pulse grenade. The flare and power drain would've been far more usefulf and less "stupid" if they were needs instead of these big balls that you through at your opponent. Obviously the powerdrain is extremely powerful so like you said it would need to be looked at kind of like a "power nade". I unno about the flare/flashbang and how that would work. 

Care to elaborate instead of just saying "no"?

No, I shouldn't have to.  If you really think equipment or armor abilities have any place in competitive Halo then there is something wrong with you.

• Downvote (-1) 1

No, I shouldn't have to.  If you really think equipment or armor abilities have any place in competitive Halo then there is something wrong with you.

Power ups are fine, but AA's acting some type of power is not. That's somewhat contradicting and you're argument is "they don't work because".

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Power ups are fine, but AA's acting some type of power is not. That's somewhat contradicting and you're argument is "they don't work because".

Okay neg me instead of actually explaining your argument. I guess you won this one because you negged me. lol 

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah no.   There is a hell of a lot wrong with sprint.  This is not a matter of glass half empty/half full, this is a matter of understanding basic game mechanics.

I'm not saying its perfect, but why remove a potentialy good aspect because a-holes, and noobs abuse it. With that logic, grenades should be removed because people toss them at there feet (martyrdom style) before you kill them. Or rockets because people camp. Swords and hammers and melees because noob can instant kill you. It's not about glass half empty or full. It's about situational skills a noob see sprint as a get out of jail free card. A good player sees all the potential uses for sprint (and most aa, noobs jet pack flags anyone), sprint flag (in reach) sprint bait (have a chaser chase you into a teammate while he's running so your teammate has two to three shots before he can recover from sprinting)
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I'm not saying its perfect, but why remove a potentialy good aspect because a-holes, and noobs abuse it. With that logic, grenades should be removed because people toss them at there feet (martyrdom style) before you kill them. Or rockets because people camp. Swords and hammers and melees because noob can instant kill you. It's not about glass half empty or full. It's about situational skills a noob see sprint as a get out of jail free card. A good player sees all the potential uses for sprint (and most aa, noobs jet pack flags anyone), sprint flag (in reach) sprint bait (have a chaser chase you into a teammate while he's running so your teammate has two to three shots before he can recover from sprinting)

none of what you said made any sense at all.  You clearly do not understand the issues.  Get better at the game of halo (get a 50 CSR at the very least in some playlist) and then come back and we'll talk more about this.  I have found it impossible in the past to explain things to noobs because they have no theoretical grasp on the gameplay mechanics of halo, but if you improve than I will happily have this discussion.

Out of curiosity, what is your hightest rank in halo 2/3/ or halo 4?

This topic has been constantly brought up since the early Reach days. Will the next Halo have AAs : Yup. Should it : Nope. Its become pretty clear 343i aren't going to listen to us / change their minds about AAs and Halo.

People are just biased and incapable of seeing the positives of change.

Change is a great thing only when gameplay is better off with the change.

The damage boost powerup, for example, is a great change to Halo's sandbox.

Sprinting, AA's, equipment, random number generators, etc... only detriment gameplay however.

• Upvote (+1) 3