Lord Boobington

Should the next Halo Title have AA's?

Why not have them as loadouts?

As we've seen in both games that featured loadouts, class based Halo isn't popular at all. It turns into a guessing game of what your opponent might have in his backpocket, the fact that he can spawn with it every single time and a whole team could have a different range of them which promotes chaotic and random gameplay. Not only that, but a lot of AA's we've seen in Halo aren't balanced well. Jetpack, armour lock, PV etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As we've seen in both games that featured loadouts, class based Halo isn't popular at all. It turns into a guessing game of what your opponent might have in his backpocket, the fact that he can spawn with it every single time and a whole team could have a different range of them which promotes chaotic and random gameplay. Not only that, but a lot of AA's we've seen in Halo aren't balanced well. Jetpack, armour lock, PV etc.

Okay, I can understand that. I don't think any AA is overpowered though. Armor lock was, but in my opinion Halo 4 AA's are balanced. I only think PV is overpowered in a no radar gametype.

EDIT: Actually I see where you are coming from on jetpack. There are walls on maps sometimes to balance gameplay and when somebody has jetpack they break the map.

Why wait for the next Halo? I wish Ghost would remove them from Throwdown all together for v5. AAs in PODs don't add anything to gameplay. Like Sam said, because you never know what the other player has in his back pocket. At least with standard powerups like OS, the player glows green you you better know how to approach the situation. And the best part of removing PODs, you can freely cycle grenades at all times.

Okay, I can understand that. I don't think any AA is overpowered though. Armor lock was, but in my opinion Halo 4 AA's are balanced. I only think PV is overpowered in a no radar gametype.

There are very few AA's that are completely balanced. Thruster Pack is actually the only one that I can think of out of Reach/Halo 4 that isn't OP and doesn't break the map/game in some shape or form.

Jetpack - Breaks map control. Having the higher ground over an opponent/s is an advantage due to how FPS games work, Jetpack allows the user to have a free pass and fly anywhere he wants. 

Active Camo - Should always have stayed as a pickup, in previous games, controlling the camo powerup usually gave that player/team the advantage for a short period of time, as an AA however, it allows the player to spawn INVISIBLE EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

Regen field - Should have stayed as an Equipment 1 use item like in Halo 3. (I was personally not a fan of that or the Bubble Shield but they aren't as frustrating to play against as the Regen is in H4.) You should not be allowed to spawn with a Regen every single time, this allows you to make risky plays that would usually get punished which is essentially a get out of jail free card.

I could go on and on about every other AA except the Thruster Pack and the Hologram (That one isn't too detrimental to gameplay either) but I think you get the point.

But then I would consider them equipment and not armor abilities.  Which also should not be in Halo.

But pikcing up power ups is fine? That's somewhat contradicting.

There are very few AA's that are completely balanced. Thruster Pack is actually the only one that I can think of out of Reach/Halo 4 that isn't OP and doesn't break the map/game in some shape or form.

Jetpack - Breaks map control. Having the higher ground over an opponent/s is an advantage due to how FPS games work, Jetpack allows the user to have a free pass and fly anywhere he wants. 

Active Camo - Should always have stayed as a pickup, in previous games, controlling the camo powerup usually gave that player/team the advantage for a short period of time, as an AA however, it allows the player to spawn INVISIBLE EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

Regen field - Should have stayed as an Equipment 1 use item like in Halo 3. (I was personally not a fan of that or the Bubble Shield but they aren't as frustrating to play against as the Regen is in H4.) You should not be allowed to spawn with a Regen every single time, this allows you to make risky plays that would usually get punished which is essentially a get out of jail free card.

I could go on and on about every other AA except the Thruster Pack and the Hologram (That one isn't too detrimental to gameplay either) but I think you get the point.

Yeah, Active Camo would be overpowered in a no radar setting, but since it radar jams and I can see where they generally are, I can just nade them and reveal their location. I usually always beat the guy who uses active camo. I also haven't seen very many get away with anything by using the regen field I usually kill them too. But I agree that active camo should be a pickup thing anyways like in Halo 3.

Yeah, Active Camo would be overpowered in a no radar setting, but since it radar jams and I can see where they generally are, I can just nade them and reveal their location. I usually always beat the guy who uses active camo. I also haven't seen very many get away with anything by using the regen field I usually kill them too. But I agree that active camo should be a pickup thing anyways like in Halo 3.

So you've never experienced being Sniped by a guy across the map who has the Camo AA? Or even someone outside your radar. It's frustrating. If there was a camo powerup and he Sniped you, you could say "Well at least he timed that Camo and earned it."

But for someone who just selects the Camo AA, that player hasn't earned anything. He can sit back the entire game and be invisible.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I started playing Halo in Halo: Reach days.

Yeah, Active Camo would be overpowered in a no radar setting

Not if it's a powerup. This stuff only become problematic when you don't have to earn it. When you earn something that has a limited duration, it's infinitely less powerful and effective than an always-on option. Not to mention that due to cascading advantages, if you're getting owned by camo then you should have done a better job of securing it when it came up. In a proper Halo game, good players will know when the advantages are spawning and the meta-objective-game of securing said advantages in slayer is one of the CORES of this franchise. To have it stripped away and given away like a damned participation ribbon ruins the game, hence the current state of Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

*snip*

Why is Hologram detrimental to game play *at all*?

So you've never experienced being Sniped by a guy across the map who has the Camo AA? Or even someone outside your radar. It's frustrating. If there was a camo powerup and he Sniped you, you could say "Well at least he timed that Camo and earned it."

But for someone who just selects the Camo AA, that player hasn't earned anything. He can sit back the entire game and be invisible.

I guess maybe on a cross map basis in which case I wouldn't have seen them and would have got sniped anyway probably.

I don't think they should be spawning abilities; however, they can be fun to use and I think some of them can be kept in certain places. For instance, instead of having Evade/Thruster Pack, they can shorten the distance and just make it a global dodge mechanic. Speedboost/Sprint can be a powerup along with Damage Boost, Camo, and Oversheild. Hologram, Jetpack, and Regen can also be powerups/pickups. All of these would last 15-30 seconds. 

Do we really need more than 7? 

Why is Hologram detrimental to game play *at all*?

It's not, but I'm not in favour of AA's at all. :P I wouldn't mind an on map pickup Hologram which gives you  say, 1 or 2 uses. I just don't like how AA's usually have a recharge rate of 10-15 seconds, allowing a player to use regen/camo/PV/Jetpack/Hologram etc ALL GAME LONG. Turns into a clusterfuck.

I guess maybe on a cross map basis in which case I wouldn't have seen them and would have got sniped anyway probably.

In some scenarios, you would have seen him, though. You could have shot him, and assuming it's an actual Halo game, he would be descoped and you'd most likely get the kill, both earning a point for your team/more dead for an obj and his Sniper.

It's not balanced when someone can sit back all game and have camo, it promotes camping which no one likes. Just like what we saw with the range on the DMR in H4 pre nerf, everyone just sat back on bigger maps in a safe place and picked people off.

I've never seen so many DMR complaint threads before.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But pikcing up power ups is fine? That's somewhat contradicting.

Not really.  Powerups only constitute of overshield and camo.  You can't tell me any of the equipment in Halo 3 had any competitive value.

Basically my opinion is as follows:

Halo is and should be an arena style shooter as opposed to a class-based shooter.  This means everyone should start on the same exact footing, and utilize what they have on the map to win.  

For this reason AAs should continue as map pick-ups alone.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Basically my opinion is as follows:

Halo is and should be an arena style shooter as opposed to a class-based shooter.  This means everyone should start on the same exact footing, and utilize what they have on the map to win.  

For this reason AAs should continue as map pick-ups alone.

Halo as an arena shooter enjoyed massive success. Halo as a class-based shooter (a one foot in kind at that) enjoyed moderate success (neither point being primarily based on sales). There are more class-based shooters coming out next gen and Halo will no longer have an identity of its own if it conforms, or "evolves" in that direction. 

I say unless we're going Spartans vs Brutes vs Elites in Halo 5, Halo should stick to the triangle. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Boarding action is not intended to be a competitive map lol.

Having any AA of spawn ruins Halo's most basic tenant of being an arena shooter where everyone starts equal.

And Halo CE was not meant to be an FPS originally so what? Your original response was AAs, more specifically jet pack, does not improve gameplay. I gave you an example where it does.

Whose to say boarding action couldn't be used for competition? Because it doesn't fit your perfect mold of what a competitive map should look like? Just because it not a symmetrical, circular, two base map does not mean it is unsuitable for competitive play.

And Halo CE was not meant to be an FPS originally so what? Your original response was AAs, more specifically jet pack, does not improve gameplay. I gave you an example where it does.

Whose to say boarding action couldn't be used for competition? Because it doesn't fit your perfect mold of what a competitive map should look like? Just because it not a symmetrical, circular, two base map does not mean it is unsuitable for competitive play.

I say boarding action isn't competitive because it is clearly designed with a different philosophy from the rest of Halo CE's maps. Sure, JP might improve competitive gameplay on boarding action, but it wouldn't be any better than gameplay on the rest of CE's maps without JP. Unless you can come up with a way JP elevates Halo gameplay above MLG CE 2v2's, JP does not improve competitive gameplay.

Not really.  Powerups only constitute of overshield and camo.  You can't tell me any of the equipment in Halo 3 had any competitive value.

They could have. Power drain could've been very useful.

Power Drain could work as a rare Grenade type as well, I initially thought the Pulse Grenade would act as a successor to the Power Drain Equipment, but the Pulse Grenade is not nearly as useful or unique. I like the idea of seeing the Power Drain return, but as a Grenade type, one that would be rarely found on a Map with more than 2 spawns so it could be contested over due to its usefulness.

Honestly, most of these AA's and Equipment, would work as a form of Power-Up, Grenade, or Weapon, of some type, instead of what they are trying to force AA's to be, which is a broken concept.

I believe Armor Abilities is kinda what started the fall of classic and normal Halo. They're more annoying then helpful, and have hated them since they came into play.

It really bothers me that since they're in the game now, they most likely won't be going away.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A reworked Thruster Pack (stay in first person) with no sprint would be the only one I would accept. The rest can burn in the fiery depth of hell.

I liked it when Spartans were agile badasses with guns. Now they are just a clunky version of Batman with stupid gadgets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, it shouldn't.

If AAs do end up in the game, make them pickup only.

I also hope 343 doesn't even think of bringing back prom vision, it takes so much skill out of the game.

Replace AA's with universal new movement abilities, even class-based shooters like Titanfall are smart enough to universally give everyone a thruster pack and wall-jumping/running ability so the playing field is even, maps can be designed for every ability, and the gameplay is just more balanced. It makes no sense to me that Spartans with their uniform training and super power suits would not have "built in" AA's they all would be able to master.  I personally feel Titan-fall just raised the bar in terms of movement systems in modern shooters go on console, Halo being the most successful Sci-fi game with super-soldiers and "Sandbox style gameplay" should not be out-done when it comes to Sandbox gameplay. I personally feel a wall-running/jumping ability and a possible  thruster pack for air-strafing/quick dodges in FP would be fun as hell and take advantage of the games verticality/map geometry without needing to break the map with jetpack or use lifts.