Lord Boobington

Should the next Halo Title have AA's?

AA's are not a core aspect of Halo gameplay, I think many people would rather 343 go back to the Golden Triangle and innovate on gameplay in others ways that is more balanced and does not create a huge divide in the community. I firmly believe that AA's could be turned into equipment if anything and only a minority of the 20k left playing H4 MP would care.

• Upvote (+1) 2

AA's are not a core aspect of Halo gameplay, I think many people would rather 343 go back to the Golden Triangle and innovate on gameplay in others ways that is more balanced and does not create a huge divide in the community. I firmly believe that AA's could be turned into equipment if anything and only a minority of the 20k left playing H4 MP would care.

People say this a lot but dont actually suggest HOW they can innovate without changing the core.

Did you have anything in mind?

People say this a lot but dont actually suggest HOW they can innovate without changing the core.

I agree with this 100%. Check out my thread titled "ideas"

Any kind of innovation to the  combat of Halo should be taken very seriously and should translate well to all levels of play as to not divide the community with 5 different settings like H4 currently has.

I can think of a few ideas of the top of my head:

- Projectile primary weapons similar to that of UT(Shock rifle) and more projectile weapons like Reach's GL that utilize more aspects of the Sandbox and add new dynamics to combat. I made a lengthy post here at the top of page 2 on the subject http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2361-why-no-sprint-needs-to-be-universal-for-halo-5/page-2 and I really think Halo's Sandbox physics and map geometry would support this well.

-Utilitarian equipment- Portable teleporters/lifts that are temporary, stun devices, bubble shields, double-jump equipment, ect.. more devices that could enhance the tactical options of players on the fly.

-Wall-jumping new movement ability- I saw this in the Titanfall trailer and holy shit this looks awesome, I dont think it would be too unbalanced and tactical jumps/movement depth would be enhanced if done in a balanced matter. Imagine wall-jumping off S2 sniper tower on Lockout for example and no-scoping an enemy on BR tower that shit sounds so fun and this could also bring back that vertical aspect to maps that has been missing since H1. 

-Return of Halo style physics- Gandhi mentioned this in his pod-cast but Halo needs to have its Sandbox-style physics back where you could nade jump, nade weapons/power-ups, launch nades, out-strafe 2 guys at once, flag juggling/throwing, jump-strafe, Gandhi-hop,ect... these were the physics tricks in past Halo games that blew your mind the first time you saw them like nading the sniper on HeH from blue base to yourself and made the gameplay more dynamic. Not really "new" innovation but it would be a new aspect to most modern Halo players.

-Clan Wars- Halo is a competitive team game and a social game yet the primary way to play H4 is JIP games.....not really how you build a strong and friendly core community. Lets change that.... Clan Wars would be a return to the ways of original XBL games where it was fun and encouraged to play together. Basically it would work similar to that of H2's clan MM with minor and major clan matches and your "clan" level or division would be based on your performance with  members of your clan in those play-lists. Leader-boards would also accompany the new clan system and clans would be a major feature of the game where you could also earn additional armor unlocks and perks for progressing in XP in the clan-playlists.

I am no game designer, but I do know Halo MP and I would like to think the majority of these "innovations" are sensible without being game-breaking  and would translate to all levels of play unlike some AA's and perks.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm kind of new here, and from my personal view point, I'm in between a competitive player and a casual player, I like my games to have a certain level of competition but not to the point where I have to be firing on all cylinders, but I get the sense many if not most of the more competitive crowed dislike how AA's are now and how they were in Reach.

I just feel they make games less fun when you 'round a corner only to find someone 10 feet in the air shooting down at you, and I find it less competitive, which is why I wanted to ask anyone interested in replying how you all feel.

In addition to that, I would like everyone interested in voting on this to visit my thread on Halo Waypoint on how AA's should be handled for the next Halo game; link below.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2692759_Should-The-Next-Halo-Have-AA-s.aspx#post2692759

Should it? No. Will it? Fuck yes. Why? God knows.

It would be nice if they made a good Halo game first and then tried to innovate (ruin it).

No

/thread

Why do they need to innovate? Don't fix what was never broken (Halo1-3).

I would much prefer a equipment/AA sort of system, where they spawn on the map and are able to be picked up from dead players, but also can only last for a certain amount of time, if we take Sprint for example, you could pick it up off the map and start sprinting, but it would eventually "run out" until it re-spawned, I would also have a "over-heat" feature, so it couldn't be used forever and ever until it ran out.

Basically like Power Weapons but only in a ability form. 

I don't have anything against the concept of AAs, honestly I kind of like it.

But spawning with them in any form isn't acceptable. They should be used to augment gameplay on a per map basis. Like Halo 3's Equipment, but mix it up a little - allow the weaker abilities to recharge, give the strongest only one use, and mid-tier abilities could have either a fuel reserve, several uses etc.

Basically, take Equipment & AAs and fit them better into the sandbox. Here are a few ideas that could work if balanced properly with the core of the game (basically all times I give are estimates. Ideally they'd be fine tuned with movement speed, kill times, and shield recharge wait & rate):

Movement Abilties:
Jetpack - has a non-recharging fuel tank. Slow acceleration, loud noise, lots of inertia.
Jump Pack - Allows for 3 sudden bursts of vertical movement with several seconds of cooldown between each burst in order to prevent chaining the ability with itself. Can be activated midair. Players would be unable to shoot, melee, or throw grenades during a thrust.

Thruster Pack - Allows for 2 fairly significant & fast bursts of horizontal movement. 1 second cooldown between thrusts. Players can shoot & throw grenades while thrusting, but can't melee.

Limiter Removal - temporarily removes the armour's safety limits in order to allow faster movement. Applies similar effects to H4's speed boost (faster movement & animation) powerup to a player for 5 seconds. One time use, has a short charging period during which the player is immobile to prevent sudden activation when caught in a bad position.

Deployable Abilities:
Auto Sentry - Spawn a small, fairly weak turret similar to the auto sentry in H4. One time use, turret exists until destroyed.

Deployable Cover - Spawn a small, fairly fragile energy shield similar to Halo 3's Deployable Cover (shaped in such a way that it can't be jumped on & used as a platform). One time use, lasts for 15 seconds before dissipating if not destroyed.

Sensor Package - Deploy a small projectile which adheres to the first surface it comes into contact with. This projectile replaces the player's motion tracker with the information gathered from the sensor (25m enhanced motion tracker with the deployed sensor at the centre). Flashes red and makes an audible beeping sound. Can be destroyed with gunfire, lasts for 20 seconds if not destroyed. One time use.

Regeneration Field - Deploy a small device capable of restoring the health & shield of a nearby player (think H3's deployable gravity lift, but instead of a lift the H4 regen effect goes in the narrow beam). Restores health quickly, but only begins shield recharge half a second after contact with the field, doesn't augment the recharge rate at all. One time use, lasts for 10 seconds. The device can be destroyed by incoming gunfire or splash damage.

Support Abilities:
Hologram - works the same way it does in Halo 4 with the addition of faking footstep sounds. Recharges.
VISR mode - Sends out a pulse similar to Promethean Vision or ODST's VISR mode. Like ODST's VISR this darkens the player's vision but outlines structural edges & players (even those behind other objects). All players both friend & foe will be outlined in a neutral colour if viewed through another object. Range is limited to 25m (same as the motion tracker should be). Has a quick draining fuel cell that doesn't recharge.

Requisition - Fires a beacon which then calls down an ordnance drop containing the primary weapon the player spawned with and one frag grenade. 2 beacons are supplied, and there's a lengthy cooldown between being able to use them both. Other players can take the contents of this drop.

Repair Drone - Drops a drone which slowly repairs nearby unoccupied vehicles by up to 30% of their maximum health. One time use, can be destroyed.

So yeah. Stuff like that which could be placed on maps would be better than either H3's equipment or AAs as we currently know them in my opinion. It would certainly give forgers and map designers a lot more to work with as they could tailor maps to play around abilities in the same way that weapons and powerups are used.

EDIT: Got bored and decided to expand some random ideas that were flying around my head.

• Upvote (+1) 1

AA's to start off each life as in say a loadout need to go, forever. There is still potential for AA's as pickups if 343 choose to keep AA's as part of halo (i.e. jetpacks on sanctuary in reach) but only as pickups. This makes them more like reusable equipment.

A good way for AA's to work imo is by making them have a one use limit. Use it once and its gone.

What does that do? How does it help?

Use it in combat and yur saved onced, and if you use it use it by accident its gone.

It makes then valuable and enjoyable to use. It also allows everyone to know what they had and that they don't have it anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A good way for AA's to work imo is by making them have a one use limit. Use it once and its gone.

Use it in combat and yur saved onced, and if you use it use it by accident its gone.

It makes then valuable and enjoyable to use. It also allows everyone to know what they had and that they don't have it anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Downvote (-1) 1

I am leaning towards them being evolved from the Halo 3 equipment, turning them into a equipment-AA hybrid, some of which could have a usage counter and stops working after depletion and they do not regenerate usage. Others would or could be a 1-time use or have costs for using them.

But most if not all should be map-pickup only.

Either none, or this. I didnt mind jetpack in v7 Reach, but in any other playlist it was annoying.

There's nothing wrong with them being pick ups. They don't break the game cause you're not spawning with them everytime.

But then I would consider them equipment and not armor abilities.  Which also should not be in Halo.

I started playing Halo in Halo: Reach days. So maybe that is why my viewpoint is so much different then everybody else's. I love AA's. In my opinion they add a skill gap. It takes more skill to use an AA effectively. Like all the tricks you can do with a thruster pack, but if you are bad at the game the AA's won't help at all. I kind of get annoyed that everybody else wants the same game over and over again. I just don't understand...

I started playing Halo in Halo: Reach days. So maybe that is why my viewpoint is so much different then everybody else's. I love AA's. In my opinion they add a skill gap. It takes more skill to use an AA effectively. Like all the tricks you can do with a thruster pack, but if you are bad at the game the AA's won't help at all. I kind of get annoyed that everybody else wants the same game over and over again. I just don't understand...

So why not just have AA's as pickups?

I am leaning towards them being evolved from the Halo 3 equipment, turning them into a equipment-AA hybrid, some of which could have a usage counter and stops working after depletion and they do not regenerate usage. Others would or could be a 1-time use or have costs for using them.

But most if not all should be map-pickup only.

This is the boat I'm in for equipment. I have no problem with giving the players some new toys to play with, just as long as they actually fill a role not already filled.

Why not have them as loadouts?

Because Halo was/should be an arena-style shooter and placing them on the map allows them to be balanced easier.