Lord Boobington

Should the next Halo Title have AA's?

I'm kind of new here, and from my personal view point, I'm in between a competitive player and a casual player, I like my games to have a certain level of competition but not to the point where I have to be firing on all cylinders, but I get the sense many if not most of the more competitive crowed dislike how AA's are now and how they were in Reach.

I just feel they make games less fun when you 'round a corner only to find someone 10 feet in the air shooting down at you, and I find it less competitive, which is why I wanted to ask anyone interested in replying how you all feel.

In addition to that, I would like everyone interested in voting on this to visit my thread on Halo Waypoint on how AA's should be handled for the next Halo game; link below.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2692759_Should-The-Next-Halo-Have-AA-s.aspx#post2692759

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

AA's need to be scrapped forever IMO. Halo should NEVER have been turned into a class based shooter.

I am leaning towards them being evolved from the Halo 3 equipment, turning them into a equipment-AA hybrid, some of which could have a usage counter and stops working after depletion and they do not regenerate usage. Others would or could be a 1-time use or have costs for using them.

But most if not all should be map-pickup only.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am leaning towards them being evolved from the Halo 3 equipment, turning them into a equipment-AA hybrid, some of which could have a usage counter and stops working after depletion and they do not regenerate usage. Others would or could be a 1-time use or have costs for using them.

But most if not all should be map-pickup only.

I can live with H3 equipment because it doesn't affect a huge portion of the game. They can be easily edited off the map for competitive settings. The thing with AA's that I can't stand is the randomness you have to face.

If you're playing 8v8 with AA's, all 8 different people will have a different mixture of AA/tactical package/support upgrade. Halo was always about everyone starting on equal footing and the best team would win if they had a better shot, map control over power positions, power weapons and power ups.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Nope, they have never functioned well in Halo, and not even Crysis could pull them off and it ended up dragging that game series Multiplayer down hill as well.

The best route would be to simply scrap them, and develop new Power-Up's, Grenades, Weapons, instead, there is no reason to continue forcing us to deal with Armor Abilities that do not even fit into the Canon, Game-Play, of Halo honestly in how they function now. I would much prefer they actually focus on improving the game and Game-Play instead of throwing in more crutches and things that force Map's to be developed and designed around, only to end up being shit due to it.

I agree that AAs like Jetpack and Sprint should be abolished, but not all AAs are bad. Hologram is perfect, and Thruster Pack is nearly so. Hardlight Shield only needs to be modified to be destructible. I came up with two ideas for balanced AAs that would fit the sandbox nicely, but I doubt that anyone here would care. One of the main problems I have with AAs is that there are so many, yet so few add more to game play than they take away. Thruster Pack and Hologram have multiple uses, while Promethean Vision and Inactive Camo have only one each.

I highly doubt that Armor Abilities will be removed in Halo 5, so if they aren't, then there need only be three or five. Fewer abilities with more applications makes more sense than more abilities with fewer applications.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can live with H3 equipment because it doesn't affect a huge portion of the game. They can be easily edited off the map for competitive settings. The thing with AA's that I can't stand is the randomness you have to face.

If you're playing 8v8 with AA's, all 8 different people will have a different mixture of AA/tactical package/support upgrade. Halo was always about everyone starting on equal footing and the best team would win if they had a better shot, map control over power positions, power weapons and power ups.

that is easily the worst argument made against AA's, you never know what weapons/grenades/strategy/skill/etc the opponent has and yet somehow not being able to predict someone's AA is bad?

you should never be able to predict your opponents actions, in fact I think it decreases the skillgap to a degree.

• Downvote (-1) 5

that is easily the worst argument made against AA's, you never know what weapons/grenades/strategy/skill/etc the opponent has and yet somehow not being able to predict someone's AA is bad?

you should never be able to predict your opponents actions, in fact I think it decreases the skillgap to a degree.

Predicting actions is one thing, predicting what crutch they have in their back pocket is another thing, and is literally impossible to do.

Right up until Reach, Halo has always been everyone starts the same, and there are places, weapons and other items placed in front of them that the better player/team will usually control more of, and will therefore do better than the worse player/team.  That is fair, it is skillful, and allows a worse player to learn and improve, while the better player will win the majority of encounters, and therefore win the majority of his games.

If you get caught in a bad position, or are against an opponent who has a better shot than you, you shouldn't be able to pull out an indestructible shield that stops you from being damaged so all of a sudden the opponent is now on the backfoot as your team saves your ass.  You should have been dead, but instead you have a crutch, that suddenly changes the whole dynamic where a player who isn't as skilled, is surviving encounters he shouldn't, and the player who is better skilled loses it.

Armour abilities also increase randomness, and anyone who knows anything about competitiveness knows uncontrollable randomness = unfair gameplay.

OT:  IF armour abilities are going to be in Halo 5, they shouldn't have a counter in the tactical upgrades/perks section.  I shouldn't have to change my loadout, and decrease the strength of my grenades just to reduce the effectiveness of someone elses wallhack.  Every armour ability should have a counter, being shot while in promethean vision should knock you out of it, just like descope (which I hope to god comes back).

• Upvote (+1) 5

Pretty much what O2TheWen said. 

You should be able to control stuff like map pick ups (power weapons/power ups etc), if you didn't get it, it was your fault for whatever reason. You can't control what a player spawns with (AA), there's a big difference that you're missing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly didn't HATE AA in Reach (except armorlock) like a lot of people but I do hate what they've led to. I expected Halo 4 to be a sequel to Halo 3 so I didn't pay AA as much mind as I should have while Reach was the popular kid. Preferabley some sort of euipment (AA as pickups would be fine with me) would be my preference going forward as a somewhat more casual player; However, I don't see AA going anywhere now that they are entrenched in what new players define as Halo...

If AA return...

sprint should again be an AA and significantly nerfed in duration and cooldown.

balance should be the most important factor In their implementation.

AA starts could be featured as a side gametype within social slayer perhaps, but default social slayer should only have them as pickups.

AA should be based around thruster pack and Hologram in power level, and level of map breaking (I'm looking at you Jetpack and PV)

Active Camo should again be a powerup.

Equal starts should be well defined as a centerpiece for competitve and casual play.

Something that should not return no matter what to Halo:

Random personal and map ordnance and perks. NOT EVEN IN CUSTOMS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, but as pick ups. Also they should give us the option use them as starting AA's in customs.

Default Halo should be like how Halo was from 1-3 while all that other fun stuff like AA starts, sprint and loadouts should be in customs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm cool with AA's. They're fun to use and add variation to the game.

But there should be a playlist with them disabled for those who have such a problem with them.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Evade > All :kappa:

the stupid thing about evade was the horrible hitboxes plus it could be used twice.

thruster>evade

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm cool with AA's. They're fun to use and add variation to the game.

But there should be a playlist with them disabled for those who have such a problem with them.

It's not okay to spawn with power ups. It hurts the game. Prime example would obviously be jetpack. There's a reason why maps like uncaged has walls and bridges that seperate parts of the map. the jetpack breaks the map. 

AA's are fine in an arean shooter as long as there pick ups. People need to remember Halo is suppose to be an arena shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's not okay to spawn with power ups. It hurts the game. Prime example would obviously be jetpack. There's a reason why maps like uncaged has walls and bridges that seperate parts of the map. the jetpack breaks the map. 

AA's are fine in an arean shooter as long as there pick ups. People need to remember Halo is suppose to be an arena shooter.

Well, it's not anymore. Arena shooters are dead. Like seriously, when's the last time you saw a really successful arena shooter?

And besides, I wasnt even saying they do/dont hurt the game. I just happen to like them.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Well, it's not anymore. Arena shooters are dead. Like seriously, when's the last time you saw a really successful arena shooter?

And besides, I wasnt even saying they do/dont hurt the game. I just happen to like them.

from a SP I think they worked wonders, I know most people here don't value SP all that much but I think its one of those things that really made reach's campaign so good.

So say you we're saying it does hurt the game.. that's okay cause you like the AA's?

from a SP I think they worked wonders, I know most people here don't value SP all that much but I think its one of those things that really made reach's campaign so good.

If we're talking Campaign, that's a different argument, but we're not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When's the last time you played a really good shooter in general? The shooter genre kinda sucks right now, so naturally, the best shooters (Arena like quake or Tactical like RB6) aren't being developed.

So say you we're saying it does hurt the game.. that's okay cause you like the AA's?

No, I didnt say that. I'm not going to take sides on whether they do/dont hurt the game because it's all subjective.

I just like them. It really is that simple.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2