Sign in to follow this  
Ryaanski

343 Hiring Lead User Interface Designer

Wow looks as if 343 are taking steps to make the next Halo a quality title.

Hope it is all legit though and they do rectify their mistakes, if Halo 5 is both a great game and the game our community needs to revive the scene they will have my respect again.

I don't believe Mr. Rambles is qualified for this position, sorry guys. There are many improvements that could be made to his Halo 4 UI redesign to improve usability. Being a UI development lead means that you know a shit ton about user experience, AB testing, graphic design and programming - as well as being able to be innovative so you're not just recreating what has been done before numerous times. That's just the UI development part - being a lead is a whole other story. Being a LEAD means you have to know how to manage people who are as equally or more qualified as you are, and you have to be able to make important decisions under pressure. You need to be able to answer any questions your team has. You also need prior experience in the field for any lead position in game development, which is usually at least 5 years.

TL;DR Unless Sam has some mystery work and experience I'm not seeing, he is not qualified for the position, so don't get your hopes up. Not that I wouldn't like to see him succeed - believe me!

You say all this, but Halo 4 had the same requirements and look at the shit U.I we got for Halo 4. It shouldn't be that complicated. How the meeting would go is "make this" *Sambles shows his U.I design* and it starts from there. He knows what people want and what people like. It seems everyone who 343i is hiring doesn't.

You're completely right mate. I really do appreciate all the kind words, but I'm definitely not experienced enough. Sent in the application / uploaded my Cv anyway though.

Because why not...

c5iUoE3.png

Whoa.. I would LOVE to talk to that guy and try to dig up anything and everything I can on Black Tusk Studios.

You say all this, but Halo 4 had the same requirements and look at the shit U.I we got for Halo 4. It shouldn't be that complicated. How the meeting would go is "make this" *Sambles shows his U.I design* and it starts from there. He knows what people want and what people like. It seems everyone who 343i is hiring doesn't.

Truth, but as I mentioned before , this thing called bureaucracy exists  everywhere, and it trumps even the most talented people because on paper they dont look legit, sucks I know.  

I wouldn't be surprised if ghost was picked up by 343i. However, whether he was hired or not, I feel confident saying there would essentially be no major changes done to Halo 5 from his decisions or influence. I don't mean to come off as a dick, but 343 needs a huge dose of "No, don't do that" and I don't see Bravo or Ghost putting their foot down. It probably won't be their job or place to do so, but regardless.

I can safely say if I worked for 343, I would be professional, but i wouldn't be worried about risking my job to tell 343 what they are doing is a bad idea

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised if ghost was picked up by 343i. However, whether he was hired or not, I feel confident saying there would essentially be no major changes done to Halo 5 from his decisions or influence. I don't mean to come off as a dick, but 343 needs a huge dose of "No, don't do that" and I don't see Bravo or Ghost putting their foot down. It probably won't be their job or place to do so, but regardless.

I can safely say if I worked for 343, I would be professional, but i wouldn't be worried about risking my job to tell 343 what they are doing is a bad idea

Im concerned about all these hirings now, when the general core of H5 will probably already be done if its out by Nov of next year.

You guys are way too bloody kind, thanks so much.

Will look into applying today, but obviously they're looking for a senior designer. That's above my current level of experience but hey, you never know!

Well you obviously have one major advantage that puts you above the rest:

Community Backing. 

Im concerned about all these hirings now, when the general core of H5 will probably already be done if its out by Nov of next year.

Yeah I'm rather confused by what's going on. I understand there were too many hands stirring the pot last time, but I don't know how I feel about bringing on new additions with little experience or no experience in arena shooters.

• Upvote (+1) 1

whether halo 5 will be good or not I am unsure but it'll be dead on arrival.

Yeah I'm rather confused by what's going on. I understand there were too many hands stirring the pot last time, but I don't know how I feel about bringing on new additions with little experience or no experience in arena shooters.

halo 5 won't be an arena shooter so I'm not sure why experience in arena shooters would make much difference, but anyway 343i are more experienced with halo now so hopefully you'll see less outsourcing.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.

Really? Halo 4 had the same requirements as Halo 4 yet the U.I is shit. Sam Rambles makes a layout and boom everyone loves it. I'd take Sam Rambles layout over Halo 4's U.I any day. I could honestly care less about the requirements needed if we can get Rambles layout. Tell me more how i'm wrong please.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't believe Mr. Rambles is qualified for this position, sorry guys. There are many improvements that could be made to his Halo 4 UI redesign to improve usability. Being a UI development lead means that you know a shit ton about user experience, AB testing, graphic design and programming - as well as being able to be innovative so you're not just recreating what has been done before numerous times. That's just the UI development part - being a lead is a whole other story. Being a LEAD means you have to know how to manage people who are as equally or more qualified as you are, and you have to be able to make important decisions under pressure. You need to be able to answer any questions your team has. You also need prior experience in the field for any lead position in game development, which is usually at least 5 years.

TL;DR Unless Sam has some mystery work and experience I'm not seeing, he is not qualified for the position, so don't get your hopes up. Not that I wouldn't like to see him succeed - believe me!

Halo_Reach_Dream_Crusher_Render.png

Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Really? Halo 4 had the same requirements as Halo 4 yet the U.I is shit. Sam Rambles makes a layout and boom everyone loves it. I'd take Sam Rambles layout over Halo 4's U.I any day. I could honestly care less about the requirements needed if we can get Rambles layout. Tell me more how i'm wrong please.

> You say all this, but Halo 4 had the same requirements and look at the shit U.I we got for Halo 4

Innovation sometimes comes at a cost. 343 had the misfortune of hiring a UI dev that wasn't quite able to work out the problems that were given to him - bummer, it happens.

> It shouldn't be that complicated.

They have millions of clients to please. Saying "it shouldn't be that complicated" is a gross assumption. There's so many things to consider it's not even funny.

> How the meeting would go is "make this" *Sambles shows his U.I design* and it starts from there.

Just no.

> He knows what people want and what people like.

He knows what a small sample size likes - but hasn't considered nearly enough of the cases which don't fit perfectly into his design.

> It seems everyone who 343i is hiring doesn't.

343 hired the best AAA developers in the industry - if they don't know what they're doing then I don't know who does. Look at the menu. Is it weird? Maybe a little, but it gets the job done in the same amount of button clicks (or less) than prior menus. They wanted to give the game a different feel, and I commend them for that. Personally I also think they could have done a better job with the menu, but I much prefer a change to a rehash of something we've seen since 2004.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Judging by the way the Destiny UI looks, I think he stayed at Bungie.

What UI? I don't see anything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

> You say all this, but Halo 4 had the same requirements and look at the shit U.I we got for Halo 4

Innovation sometimes comes at a cost. 343 had the misfortune of hiring a UI dev that wasn't quite able to work out the problems that were given to him - bummer, it happens.

> It shouldn't be that complicated.

They have millions of clients to please. Saying "it shouldn't be that complicated" is a gross assumption. There's so many things to consider it's not even funny.

> How the meeting would go is "make this" *Sambles shows his U.I design* and it starts from there.

Just no.

> He knows what people want and what people like.

He knows what a small sample size likes - but hasn't considered nearly enough of the cases which don't fit perfectly into his design.

> It seems everyone who 343i is hiring doesn't.

343 hired the best AAA developers in the industry - if they don't know what they're doing then I don't know who does. Look at the menu. Is it weird? Maybe a little, but it gets the job done in the same amount of button clicks (or less) than prior menus. They wanted to give the game a different feel, and I commend them for that. Personally I also think they could have done a better job with the menu, but I much prefer a change to a rehash of something we've seen since 2004.

You prefer a new U.I that's bad over a U.I that's good? I now know the mentality of the devs over at 343i thanks. 

When you have something that works you don't completely change it for th sake of change, you keep tweaking it to make it better than the previous one, but you stay true to the formula.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You prefer a new U.I that's bad over a U.I that's good? I now know the mentality of the devs over at 343i thanks. 

When you have something that works you don't completely change it for th sake of change, you keep tweaking it to make it better than the previous one, but you stay true to the formula.

Yeah when I was reading that I was going to quote and say the same thing.  The U.I in Halo 4 isn't good because they hired 'the best developers' lmao.  Ask majority of players, it blows.  It doesn't have to be a rehash of past game's U.I, but even if it was, it would still be better than Halo 4's.

Yeah when I was reading that I was going to quote and say the same thing.  The U.I in Halo 4 isn't good because they hired 'the best developers' lmao.  Ask majority of players, it blows.  It doesn't have to be a rehash of past game's U.I, but even if it was, it would still be better than Halo 4's.

I don't see a problem with the menus, maybe I haven't used them enough. What's wrong with them?

I don't see a problem with the menus, maybe I haven't used them enough. What's wrong with them?

Halo 4's UI looks rushed. The player cards look like Pokemon cards, you have to tilt your head to an angle to see everyone's GT in your lobby and it's not very accessible. Reach's Menu was great IMO.

Too many little things like  i.e the player cards plus other convenient things that were in previous titles that were great.

Halo Reach had a great UI  IMO.

Reach had the best UI of any Halo IMO. Halo 4's however, is not good. Its way too tedious to access information about players, didn't allow for any changes to be made (ingame ranks), and felt like it had no thought behind it.