Sign in to follow this  
Career

Shirley

Shirley

Description:

Asymmetric design with influence from Quake, Shirley is an exercise in minimalist design. However, that wasn't the case during it's inception. The map was initially some throw-away map. As I continued, a map started to emerge; making the map has been nothing less than a pain. I've been reluctant to expand upon it in an attempt to make a more focused, if not, streamlined approach to the way I've made 1v1 maps in the past. Lack of overlap is still present and the map is very small, but minimal is what I had in mind. The map basically functions as a large spiral. Starting from the lowest part and working it's way around and eventually making it back to a higher level overlooking the beginning. The teleporters undermine this concept but had to be added as a consequence of the long route being too long. To fix this, I've tried my best to make the areas that aren't the teleporter room, more "fun". I ended up having to trust players to treat these other areas as an unexpected playing-field where anything goes. All in all, the map plays as expected, with the exception of respawns (never been good at those), enjoy.

Weapons:

1x Sniper Rifle

1x Sticky Detonator

2x Pulse Grenades

2x Frag Grenades

Pictures:

Shirley1_zpse6ecc71c.jpg

Shirley2_zpsd488e882.jpg

Shirley3_zpse40f6a95.jpg

Shirley4_zpsa12584db.jpg

Shirley6_zps7e79e8bb.jpg

Shirley5_zps4012ff5e.jpg

Shirley7_zps2fd0909c.jpg

Shirley: without a ceiling
After the map was finally finished, I was still upset I was unable to add any windows for some well-needed light. I considered removing the ceiling entirely and so that's exactly what I did.(Over-head shot included)

Shirley9_zps263a17c0.jpg

Shirley8_zps33a17e3e.jpg

Shirley10_zpsede07820.jpg

Shirley11_zps97e29ee9.jpg

Shirley

Download

Shirley (w/o ceiling)

Download

• Upvote (+1) 8

cool stuff, I always liked asymmetrical maps and halo CE style maps. Planning on doing more?

Really impressed with this one, definitely the best impact map I've seen in a long time! Will give it a download!

Loving the No-Ceiling version, it definitely gives a old school Quake and Halo vibe, something I wish more Forgers strived for honestly. I can not wait to check this out in Forge and get some games going on it, it looks great and you always do a good job with the aesthetics, I am glad to see you still Forging.

Map looks amazing and I love the green Halo CE style teleporters, great work!

I'm also a fan of the no-ceiling version.  Map feels really solid and I'm loving your consistent piece usage. 

Is this meant for 1v1?

Looking at the overview: I would redesign the top left room. It is almost redundant to be honest. I recommend making it functionally similar to the teleporter room, but make the sender of one room take you to the receiver of the opposite room. I also recommend a direct connection on the bottom floor between the two teleporter rooms. 

I know that you said that you want it to be a minimalist design, but I believe this change in the design would improve the replay factor a bit. The map would have more continuous flow, and there would be more flanking options. 

Regardless, solid design and solid forging.

I was wondering where you've been. Nice to see you around again Career.