Sign in to follow this  
CURRY HER0

Possible counter for the exploitation of sprint

Sorry for the typo in the title, I meant to say " Possible counter for the exploitation of sprint" lol

So we all know that sprint makes every Tom, Dick and Harry into a Houdini, but what if we make sprint less advantageous. For instance, a player sprinting( sprint animation) becomes a 3skBR, 6skCarbine, etc.. By making a "sprinter" more vulnerable, it should hopefully punish players for bad positioning/decisioning making.

Another concern that came to mind was the new resistor armor mod. I have a eerie feeling that there will be a dramatic increase in the amount of sprint+sword combos and sprint+ double melee combos in MM

Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

If a mechanic exists it should be functional, making the mechanic less functional does not solve the problem. The solution is to remove sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If a mechanic exists it should be functional, making the mechanic less functional does not solve the problem. The solution is to remove sprint.

Well it doesn't look like sprint is going away anytime soon. There's no reason to not create a unique sprint variant to make it more bearable until its removed

• Upvote (+1) 5

Well it doesn't look like sprint is going away anytime soon. There's no reason to not create a unique sprint variant to make it more bearable until its removed

Agreed, I prefer No-Sprint. But... if Sprint is staying. We should start thinking for an extended solution/mechanic for a more punishable thought in Sprint. (Yes, thats my english)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Agreed, I prefer No-Sprint. But... if Sprint is staying. We should start thinking for an extended solution/mechanic for a more punishable thought in Sprint. (Yes, thats my english)

It shall be known as the Great Compromise of 20XX, having a fair but strict sprint mechanic. Basically the best of both worlds like Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus of Halo lol

Sorry for the typo in the title, I meant to say " Possible counter for the exploitation of sprint" lol

So we all know that sprint makes every Tom, Dick and Harry into a Houdini, but what if we make sprint less advantageous. For instance, a player sprinting( sprint animation) becomes a 3skBR, 6skCarbine, etc.. By making a "sprinter" more vulnerable, it should hopefully punish players for bad positioning/decisioning making.

Another concern that came to mind was the new resistor armor mod. I have a eerie feeling that there will be a dramatic increase in the amount of sprint+sword combos and sprint+ double melee combos in MM

Thoughts?

In my opinion, I would just like to see Sprint removed HOWEVER, if Sprint has to stay (please 343, no), I think a decent solution would be that you can only sprint if you have full shields, if ANY of your shield has been depleted, you cannot sprint which only allows a player to travel from point A to point B and not get out of bad situations/positioning.

On top of that, I would like to see the duration of Sprint halved from what it currently is in Halo 4, so it's more like a burst instead of being able to Sprint across one side of the map without it running out.

Still, 343 need to give us an option to turn Sprint completely off in Custom games for H5.

• Upvote (+1) 6

In my opinion, I would just like to see Sprint removed HOWEVER, if Sprint has to stay (please 343, no), I think a decent solution would be that you can only sprint if you have full shields, if ANY of your shield has been depleted, you cannot sprint which only allows a player to travel from point A to point B and not get out of bad situations/positioning.

On top of that, I would like to see the duration of Sprint halved from what it currently is in Halo 4, so it's more like a burst instead of being able to Sprint across one side of the map without it running out.

Still, 343 need to give us an option to turn Sprint completely off in Custom games for H5.

I was thinking about something along the same lines last night. Sprinting depletes your shields, you can't sprint if you have less than half shields, and if you are sprinting and get shot and your shields drop below half full, then you sort of stumble and have this really short "cool down" period in which you can't turn or shoot. Basically this makes sprint used to get close to a fight, but not all the way into the fight, you have to let your shields recharge first, and it would almost never be used to get away because of the risk of being shot

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's a pretty good idea. Having restrictions put on sprint (shield requirement(s)) or something along those lines will help define a specific role to sprint. 

What other solutions do we have?

How about removing Sprint altogether so we do not have to come up with these silly work arounds and solutions for a very broken mechanic? That sounds like a actual problem solver in my opinion, remove Sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Some people really should read previous posts before they hit the new reply button...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Universal thruster pack to replace sprint + higher base speed.  Problem solved.

I'd liked to see how that plays, but wouldn't that create a new problem? If the implemented the "Flood Thruster" mechanic or the SB Thrusting, its going to be just as bad as sprinting.

I think a better solution would be if you are to sprint, then your controller explodes. This is beneficial because EVERYONE would think twice about every sprinting again  :frankerz:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

• Level design e.g. verticality so that running away leaves you at a disadvantage
  • In game direction i.e. Items or Objectives that create moments for play to form around

Rather than attacking the mechanic in unrealistic ways, IF Sprint remains going forward we should look to tackling other areas of the game that are culpable but we'd rather not see changed due to familiarity, nostalgia and all that good stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think a better solution would be if you are to sprint, then your controller explodes. This is beneficial because EVERYONE would think twice about every sprinting again :frankerz:

No, they wouldn't think twice because they'd be DAD

:saucey:

• Upvote (+1) 4

• Level design e.g. verticality so that running away leaves you at a disadvantage
  • In game direction i.e. Items or Objectives that create moments for play to form around

Rather than attacking the mechanic in unrealistic ways, IF Sprint remains going forward we should look to tackling other areas of the game that are culpable but we'd rather not see changed due to familiarity, nostalgia and all that good stuff.

I agree, im all for moving forward and thinking of new solutions. I just felt a realistic approach would be to make the sprinter more vulnerable by making them  a player in sprint animation take more damage.. guy who is sprinting cant be 3SK'd or 3.5SK'd with BR and so on   

Sprint should be turned into an AA, or at the very least be able to be toggled.

Or they could make it so the base speed is higher, and sprint only moves you 5% faster, making it pointless for anything other than when you know you are safe.

Or we could remove it and relief Halo of this stupid, unnecessary FPS fad.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it would be pretty funny (and win 343 back points from the community) if they made sprint slower than the base movement speed for Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it would be pretty funny (and win 343 back points from the community) if they made sprint slower than the base movement speed for Halo 5.

Just do it for h4, no reason to waste time...

Idea rejected. A GOOD player will always have a back up plan in mind, a route where he cant be shot at.

Theyll always be an area on the map or a section that you can hide behind to get away without being shot. THEREFOR ANY VULNERABILITY AS A PENALTY FOR USING SPRINT BE IT WEAKER SHIELDS, SLOWER SPRINT OR ANYTHING HAPPENING WHEN "GETTING SHOT" WILL NOT WORK!!!

Thats why in most cases it matters zero whether in the current iteration of Halo you are sprinting slower when being shot at. Again, this is because when you are behind any cover, you will be able to sprint without any hinderance. And then were back to aaaaaalll the problems that sprint poses, I dont think I have to bring those up again.

Changing sprint needs to encompass changing the overall speed, nothing to do with situational penalties!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or make Sprint a pick up. So we have more classic gametypes/playlists? :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

Idea rejected. A GOOD player will always have a back up plan in mind, a route where he cant be shot at.

Theyll always be an area on the map or a section that you can hide behind to get away without being shot. THEREFOR ANY VULNERABILITY AS A PENALTY FOR USING SPRINT BE IT WEAKER SHIELDS, SLOWER SPRINT OR ANYTHING HAPPENING WHEN "GETTING SHOT" WILL NOT WORK!!!

Thats why in most cases it matters zero whether in the current iteration of Halo you are sprinting slower when being shot at. Again, this is because when you are behind any cover, you will be able to sprint without any hinderance. And then were back to aaaaaalll the problems that sprint poses, I dont think I have to bring those up again.

Changing sprint needs to encompass changing the overall speed, nothing to do with situational penalties!!

Valid points, but thats not always the case when using sprint offensively( rushing to the other teams base/spawn in the matter of seconds). You can literally sprint around the map like its nothing and smartly use cover around the map on route from point A to B. But if you add negative attributes to sprinting, you can still get from point A to B, but it might take a little more skill?