Hadokenchild

Reclaimer Map Pack (Vitality, Fracture, and Diocese)

This is just a teaser for my upcoming "Reclaimer Map Pack" featuring the maps Vitality, Fracture, and Diocese. All three maps are heavily Forerunner themed, and inspired by Halo CE campaign

and multiplayer settings.

Vitality

ugcuserfile-f7115d66-be66-466f-a75a-e731

Vitality is a remake of my Halo 3 Bungie Favorites map, Frailty. Located on the largest of Forge Island's anvils, Vitality has a scope and scale that handily dwarfs it's predecessor.

ugcuserfile-2520e859-1250-4950-b9ab-4c9e

ugcuserfile-d80555d7-39bd-429c-a17b-f7de

ugcuserfile-c12773b4-cf02-43e0-ba6b-bb94

ugcuserfile-0e9aeec1-bfc0-47ab-9ed8-da31

ugcuserfile-9d6a5c55-6a88-4ff4-8f9a-d688

Diocese

ugcuserfile-466c5e78-fbc3-49ef-8f09-f8d1

Diocese was inspired from a single hallway, from a brief section of CE's campaign (also reappearing at the end of Halo 3). I, for some odd reason, felt compelled to integrate that scene into a map, and I'm pretty confident I succeeded. Diocese is influenced by campaign, and maps like Hang 'em High, and Damnation. While Diocese doesn't have any specific layouts or structures lifted from those maps, it does have multiple layers and lots of vertical elements that mirror it's source material.

ugcuserfile-44e1355e-0cb0-49b1-8376-c9a8

ugcuserfile-6cc00ea9-8392-47ba-a7fc-54ec

ugcuserfile-79f6f446-5af1-4cab-a81b-fc77

ugcuserfile-b76c3613-19ae-468f-9116-059a

ugcuserfile-d260a469-1e2a-4acc-b0d6-39a9

So that's the preview in a nutshell. Some fo the recent screenshots for Diocese didn't show up, and I didn't have time to take more to show off Red and Green areas. The maps are up on my fileshare right now, so feel free to give them a look over (better still, run some customs!) and let me know what you think. I'll be updating the maps as feedback comes in, and I'll make an official release when everything is set in stone. Thanks everyone!

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ah, I knew I'd seen this Diocese map somewhere prior to playing on it the other day. It was only one game and one of our teammates were lagging, so I might have to play again to get a more concrete assessment. 

The Good

• You're definitely skilled with forerunner architecture. It does remind me very much of that portion of Halo 3 and all 3 maps have a good theme to them. 

• Weapon placement seemed fair

The Not-So Good

• Diocese is incredibly cluttered. The layout is confusing and difficult to navigate because paths are either split awkwardly or interrupted by a piece that's cutting into it. 

• Some pieces you used (I think it was one of your landing pads) have invisible barriers on them, causing me to bump when I strafe over it. 

• It could have just been the infinity settings, but there were way too many weapons showing up. For a map with as many sightline blockers as this one, Infinity Slayer just doesn't play well. 

Improvements

• Your forerunner hallways are good and is where I always ran to; frankly, combat everywhere else was cumbersome. The rest of the map was awkwardly forged and didn't seem cohesive with the hallway's design or aesthetic. Because it also didn't play well, what I would do is delete everything except your forerunner hallways, and build symmetrically off of them again. I think you'd benefit tremendously from larger, simpler paths and walkways, more open structures, and less sudden elevation changes. Forerunner architecture is massive, angled, and looming, but is most importantly uncluttered and barren. Less clutter means better sightlines, more freedom to move around your map, and a much more natural experience for the player overall.  

This is just my opinion of course, and I'll have to play another game or two provide more in-depth feedback, but I do hope it helps you somewhat. 

EDIT: Re-reading this, I came off a bit condescending, but that isn't my intention :/ 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for the reply Goat. I don't think infinity fits the map at all. The weapons on the map are catered to a more classic Halo style like you'd find in 2 or 3.

I really wish you would've spoke your concerns after the match was over. That way I could've bounced the party into Forge and had you show me exactly what bothered you. It's difficult for a forger to make the most of a map when the immediate feedback is all positive. It's like people are afraid of speaking up for some reason. At least you were kind enough to come here and make me aware of some issues. So I thank you for that.

I have been mulling over the idea of sealing off bottom gold entirely. It is the one area of the map I haven't been satisfied with, simply because of how it connects to bottom red. Hopefully I can have something ready for customs on Friday night.

Thanks again Goat for helping out, and for giving me a heads-up to your concerns. Changes will be coming soon!

Fracture has gone through a bit of an overhaul lately due to player feedback. Currently playable for Slayer (up to 6 teams of 2), Regicide, Oddball, KotH, CTF, and Extraction. It still needs testing, but it is very close to being ready for the public.

Overview: Before

ugcuserfile-6b2a2f24-d5ec-4723-96c4-16bc

Overview: After

FractureOverviewRedesign_zps0aa72376.jpg

Did I say "a bit of an overhaul"? I actually meant "completely redesigned". As you can see, she hardly looks like her former self. And so far, it has proven to be a GOOD thing. The terrain and elevations are now just as varied as the sight lines, which the original version sorely needed.

Current map weapons:

4x BR

2x Carbine

2x AR

1x Rocket Launcher - 150 sec, 1 clip

1x Needler - 90 sec, 1 clip

1x Sniper Rifle - 150 sec, 1 clip

1x Overshield - 150 sec

FractureBlueRedesign_zps80c1b242.jpg

FractureBlueFlagRedesign_zps0cd1cb80.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign_zps687e6a11.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign2_zpsccae1198.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign3_zps736a0ff6.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign4_zps418ad74d.jpg

FractureRedRedesign_zps503c4354.jpg

FractureRedFlagRedesign_zpsc96adb8a.jpg

Well, I hope Fracture has caught your eye. I will hopefully have it ready for release this weekend if all goes well during testing.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Fracture has gone through a bit of an overhaul lately due to player feedback. Currently playable for Slayer (up to 6 teams of 2), Regicide, Oddball, KotH, CTF, and Extraction. It still needs testing, but it is very close to being ready for the public.

ugcuserfile-6b2a2f24-d5ec-4723-96c4-16bc

Did I say "a bit of an overhaul"? I actually meant "completely redesigned". As you can see, she hardly looks like her former self. And so far, it has proven to be a GOOD thing. The terrain and elevations are now just as varied as the sight lines, which the original version sorely needed.

Current map weapons:

4x BR

2x Carbine

2x AR

1x Rocket Launcher - 150 sec, 1 clip

1x Needler - 90 sec, 1 clip

1x Sniper Rifle - 150 sec, 1 clip

1x Overshield - 150 sec

FractureBlueRedesign_zps80c1b242.jpg

FractureBlueFlagRedesign_zps0cd1cb80.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign_zps687e6a11.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign2_zpsccae1198.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign3_zps736a0ff6.jpg

FractureCyanRedesign4_zps418ad74d.jpg

FractureRedRedesign_zps503c4354.jpg

FractureRedFlagRedesign_zpsc96adb8a.jpg

Well, I hope Fracture has caught your eye. I will hopefully have it ready for release this weekend if all goes well during testing.

I dont know what to say.... It looks beautiful!! And if 343 has another Community Forge Playlist I hope to see it in there! Just waiting on the DL link so I can get my hands on it :)

Hadoken, you should post this in the community cartographers thread, you might have a decent chance of getting it in matchmaking.

Congrats man, Fracture is absolute stunning. Once you get a version ready for release I would recommend giving it it's own new thread. It will be popular to say the least.

Thanks for the support everyone! The maps have been "done" for a while now. But, if Fracture is indeed worthy for the Community Cartographers, then why not give it a go? I don't have this set up for Assault, so I may do that before I post it. Anyone have a link to the correct game type?

Thanks for the support everyone! The maps have been "done" for a while now. But, if Fracture is indeed worthy for the Community Cartographers, then why not give it a go? I don't have this set up for Assault, so I may do that before I post it. Anyone have a link to the correct game type?

Do you have Fracture set up for Ricochet. I tweeted the map to Tashi and he like it. He said you should submit it to the Ricochet contest.

The forerunner tower from fracture...insane. Just insane.

The map look very good. But I can't figure out a solid concept for the overall map structure. 

Anyways this is a +1.

The only gametypes I have played on this map were 6v6 slayer and 5v5 CTF> I know i've been telling you to size it down but it can be easily used for 4v4 objective gametypes. I love playing KoTH on it last night, the rotations were good, the hill sizes were amazing, and I finally ninja'd MASTER :)

Do you have Fracture set up for Ricochet. I tweeted the map to Tashi and he like it. He said you should submit it to the Ricochet contest.

Not currently no, but it can easily be added in. I've always pictured Ricochet maps as more Grifball-like.

The only gametypes I have played on this map were 6v6 slayer and 5v5 CTF> I know i've been telling you to size it down but it can be easily used for 4v4 objective gametypes. I love playing KoTH on it last night, the rotations were good, the hill sizes were amazing, and I finally ninja'd MASTER :)

I think Master remembers that "ninja" a little differently ;P

Got the Fracture h

Size it down?!? :blink:  I think Fracture is f***ing perfect! ;) Can you be in love with a map? lol Anyway, I got that KotH game rendered today with the second half of Forger's Showcase and it should get uploaded tomorrow night. Hadoken, if I had known you set it up we could have tested it when we had eight! You're so patient.

Edit: Oh yeah, also I've gotten quite a few games in on all three of these maps, and I've enjoyed them immensely. I find all three to be visually stunning as well as satisfying competitively with routes, weapons, sightlines, vehicles (Vitality), etc. A++!

Yeah thats what I was saying the size works pretty decent for 4v4 Objective. Slayer on the other hand would play slower I think. Still a great map :)

About the video, thanks I really appreciate it!

Would not mind seeing this in MM