Sign in to follow this  
The Snazzer

Is this ranking system offensive/sensative?

Just like you get ranked in class, Letter grade.

A+

A

A-

B+

B

B-

C+

C

C-

D+

D

D- 

F

W - (suggest you should withdraw from halo) :kappa:  Kidding about the W.

I used colors so player knows the red F is the lowest, and doesn't assume there is a G,H,P,Q grade.

Can you imagine being the guy that can't get past a red F next to his name?

Whether you have grandmasters (A+), Masters (A) or a 50 the title doesn't not matter how good the ranking system is, but the science behind it.

Would a letter grade ranking system be considered too sensative? I mean what if a player can't get pass a D- or a C-?

Please stop with the "Its okay if rank works" replies. This is about games not using such a obvious ranking system that mostly everyone is familiar with.  I am not necessarily saying this should be a halo rank, just generally speaking.

If it works well I don't care what they call the different ranks.

I am just wondering why such a popular ranking system is not in gaming, we all know what the letters mean, its not like 1-10 where 1 could be best or 1 could be worst. It is straight forward and very obvious.

343 said they did not put a ranking system in-game becuase of people's ego.

Is a letter grade system considered a ego problem throughout all of gaming?

Consider the guy that can't get past the F. how would that make him feel, haha

honestly the halo  3 names were fine- just make it harder to become a 5-star general (aka grandmaster), 4-star general (aka master) all the way down.

Honestly, I'm not concerned about the ranking system, Josh Menke I think is the guy working on it, and he knows his stuff.

Correct, and he worked for Blizzard developing their ladder and matchmaking systems. Hopefully he can turn around Halo's awful matchups. I'm literally stuck at a 38 in Inf. Slayer. I keep playing people that have to be below my level and stomp them, then after beating them multiple times match up against people more than likely around mid 40s and get rocked by a team. Stay the same level forever -_- 

I am just wondering why such a popular ranking system is not in gaming, we all know what the letters mean, its not like 1-10 where 1 could be best or 1 could be worst. It is straight forward and very obvious.

343 said they did not put a ranking system in-game becuase of people's ego.

Is a letter grade system considered a ego problem throughout all of gaming?

Consider the guy that can't get past the F. how would that make him feel, haha

He'd probably say something along the lines of  "YOU KEEP GIVING ME AN F RATING? WELL F THIS GAME, I'M OUT!" 

13 ranks isn't very precise for the player's viewing. I'd rather have a clear %based system than a bunch of characters whose connotations are unclear.

13 ranks isn't very precise for the player's viewing. I'd rather have a clear %based system than a bunch of characters whose connotations are unclear.

Well how SF4 does it is there's points and you have to get a certain amount of points to get to each ranking.

Yeah, I don't like having few ranks, the more the better IMO. That's why I like the ELO system, there can technically be infinite levels of ranks. If the worst guy in the game is a legit 50 and the best is a legit 2800, then it has 2750 ranks. If it's 100 and 2700, then you have 150 less ranks. Thinking about 50s in H3, or really whatever number you wanted to use, there were different skill levels within that one number. 

Just like you get ranked in class, Letter grade.

A+

A

A-

B+

B

B-

C+

C

C-

D+

D

D- 

F

W - (suggest you should withdraw from halo) :kappa:  Kidding about the W.

I used colors so player knows the red F is the lowest, and doesn't assume there is a G,H,P,Q grade.

Can you imagine being the guy that can't get past a red F next to his name?

Whether you have grandmasters (A+), Masters (A) or a 50 the title doesn't not matter how good the ranking system is, but the science behind it.

Would a letter grade ranking system be considered too sensative? I mean what if a player can't get pass a D- or a C-?

Please stop with the "Its okay if rank works" replies. This is about games not using such a obvious ranking system that mostly everyone is familiar with.  I am not necessarily saying this should be a halo rank, just generally speaking.

I would like the lowest rank to be something extremely offensive, just so the scrubs would fight for their lives in every game within competitive playlist. For example the highest rank would be: Grandmaster and the lowest rank would be: Scrub. There could also be something like a tier system within divisions like for example: You just reached the rank: 1st Grade Maggot within the Scrub Division and your friend is still a 2nd Grade Dumb ass within the Scrub Division. Anyone who tells me that they play Halo for laughs and giggles and "infinity slayer" should be branded a ****** the moment they finish their first 10 games within the competitive playlist.

#JustSayin

• Upvote (+1) 1

Correct, and he worked for Blizzard developing their ladder and matchmaking systems. Hopefully he can turn around Halo's awful matchups. I'm literally stuck at a 38 in Inf. Slayer. I keep playing people that have to be below my level and stomp them, then after beating them multiple times match up against people more than likely around mid 40s and get rocked by a team. Stay the same level forever -_-

Maybe that's your skill level. Doesn't anyone other than me think a player SHOULD STAY at a rank that best represents their skill?

But seriously in a system that actually works you should only be playing against people your level, not several lower or higher. The population of infinity slayer isn't low enough for a rank system to fail.

The only complaint I have for the 1-50 system is that a 49 and a 50 isn't that much of a skill gap. Grandmasters vs Masters in SC2 is a huge skill gap even though they're all top tier players. As long as being an A+ player really means you could easily beat a A grade player then that's fine with me.

It is all about the skill gap, it doesnt matter if there isnt 100 ranks. LoL doesn't have many ranks either, Grandmasters, Master, Gold, Platinum, etc etc,

People have failed to answers my topic. Is having a letter rank not adopted becuase it is too sensative and direct for people who can't get over a c-?

It is all about the skill gap, it doesnt matter if there isnt 100 ranks. LoL doesn't have many ranks either, Grandmasters, Master, Gold, Platinum, etc etc,

People have failed to answers my topic. Is having a letter rank not adopted becuase it is too sensative and direct for people who can't get over a c-?

Well, yeah, people probably are too sensitive to accept a letter grade system,

It's also probably not adopted because the letter grade system isn't universal. Some countries don't use letters, some countries don't use the same letters, and some countries use a combination of numbers and letters. 

Honestly, I'm not concerned about the ranking system, Josh Menke I think is the guy working on it, and he knows his stuff.

So if they need to hire another person to make the ranking system, does that mean rankings are going to be more complicated than just W/L?

So if they need to hire another person to make the ranking system, does that mean rankings are going to be more complicated than just W/L?

A ranking system should be no more complicated than W/L as far as ranking up. How ranks are distributed is a different story