Sign in to follow this  
aPK

Why Have You Stuck With Halo?

The same reason people have stuck to Star Wars. Being captured by such an awesome universe, the decent community that surrounds it and all the friends I've made from it, and the fact that it's Halo. Throughout this summer specifically, a local organization, D.C Halo, really helped bring the Maryland/DC/Virginia area together and made the game enjoyable. Hopping on and seeing so many familiar faces online is a great feeling.

Because the intensity you get from playing Halo competitively has yet to be matched in any other game imo

Because even at Halo's worst, it's still less random and more balanced than other competitive titles out now.

Because I'm not a gamer, I'm a Halo player. I love Halo.

Loved these.

I have no clue why ive stuck with Halo. Im 26, been playing since H1, and out of every person ive met from there, NONE OF THEM PLAY ANYMORE. It just truly is something I love and have a passion for. For christs sake, I played just over 5,000 games of Reach while working 5-6 days a week and I absolutely loathed that game. I often battle myself and say how much of a waste of time it is but I keep coming back.

Also, watching pros play. There are so many personalities, its just great. Its hard to leave them since you've watched their whole careers develop. Its a shame that some of them don't realize that they are so much more than a gamer to people.

I will follow Halo until it is 100% dead.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Used to be a Nintendo guy actually. Once I saw Halo 1s first level at a friends house I fell in love. Basically played only Halo the last decade or more. (dabbled in WoW while waiting for Reach...also ODST:) For me personally, i'd prolly say the campaign and matchmaking of past were both equally addictive for me and friends, up until Halo 3.

I've recently decided to start playing other games tho, until Halo is again what I originally fell in love with...a simple yet uber complex ARENA shooter on the console. I'll still buy for the campaigns of course, as that's what I originally fell in love with, but MM won't see me as much if it doesn't return to its roots. People know what they get with CoD, BF, but Halo keeps changing further and further away from what made it Halo. Halo 2 was a fine evolution, 3 was acceptable, but the rest have been a let down IMO. I seriously wouldn't even pick up other games if this happened, cuz why go for burgers when you got steak at home:P Or keep ur cows I raided milk from Krogers for free, whatever those sayings are you see what I mean tho;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Console gaming provides a different experience and Halo was that stand out series over the years.

I've always played Halo for fun and as long I've been playing it has been fun.

Just thought I'd get this off my chest since I saw it above.

People need to stop referring to the Xbox One as the "Xbone." What the hell is an X bone?!

• Upvote (+1) 2

_MG_1558_62424_640screen.jpg

original.gif

On topic though, Halo: CE blew my mind when I was kid.  I stuck around because I actually enjoyed every Halo title that has been released.  You won't find a more competitive multiplayer in any other game, IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 3 gave me some awesome times, made some good friends through it. Right now I'm 90% of the time forging, trying to help the community out by bringing good maps to Ghost. Although none of my maps have been good enough in my eyes yet, I've learned a lot about map design and how to use forge pieces in goodlooking way. My next map is probably the last one I'm doing as it will incorporate everything I've learned thus far. Trying to make it the best looking competitive map out there and going pretty well so far imo.

That's it for me. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

The competitiveness of it. Even default H4, while random and terrible, is still more competitive than most every current console FPS out there. CS is more competitive, due to the difficulty aiming, but I enjoy the constant action of Halo more. I can go into IS, get shot in the back, turn around, and out-skill the other guy. Whether it's using strafe, better use of cover, good grenade throws, juking the hell out of them, a disgusting snipe, whatever it may be, I still have that chance. When I get a kill in Halo, it has a certain satisfaction to it than if I get a kill in CoD, or some other shooter like that where if you see the guy first and have decent enough aim, you'll get the kill. I just don't derive happiness out of seeing the other player first to get the kill. I enjoy knowing that I just out played you.

So yeah, the out played you feeling is why I'm still around.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good topic!

My answer:

- my knowledge of the game

- fun

- skill gap and competitiveness (interchangeable imo, which is why I dont play Cod)

Quick edit:

- the fact that games take up merely 5-10 minutes:

I can pick up the controller, play a few games and dont have to have spent

all afternoon like in WoW, LoL, or strategy games

Because the intensity you get from playing Halo competitively has yet to be matched in any other game imo

Definitely this. Also, even though there are things that are in the way like sprint, AAs, and no descope in H4, there is the core gameplay feeling that I can sense in all Halo that is INCREDIBLE!

I'm too heavily invested in Halo to quit at this point. Everything about it resonates with me in some way (although I have noticed that the more I understand the game the less easily satisfied I am with it).

Also, it's a console shooter that doesn't have ADS. I can't properly express how much I HATE that particular mechanic in other shooters.

I did not buy Halo 4 and I had no interest in using consoles once I got a PC in 2010. About Halo, I can say that "the reason I can not enjoy any other FPS" is because there is no other game series that has shields where I can out strafe people in gun battles and have such fast-paced fluid gameplay. To me, COD is less than noteworthy(doesnt exist) and I find that CS(le "best" game) is just not my style of game, although I do respect it.

I have tried Shootmania, QL, CS, Tribes, BF2:BC, Bf3 but none of them were Halo.

At this point, I am waiting for the next Halo to be good but I have actually abandoned it because I no longer want to own a gaming console. PC only. Game devs can join me or be left behind.

People need to stop referring to the Xbox One as the "Xbone." What the hell is an X bone?!

It's the new console, didn't you know?  :kappa:

xbonecover2.jpg?w=620

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's the only thing I know.

Pretty much this.  I've played so much Halo that I'm afraid to move onto anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't stayed with Halo, but i've stayed with the community. Why? Cause i can relat with the Halo community. It's the first game i've gotten into competively and it's the first game that i've really gotten into online. I've enjoyed the Halo series up until Reach and then after Halo 4, i have no regrets giving up on the series. Maybe one day it'll come back to what we once knew of the series, but it doesn't look like H5 will be the Halo i want or many others want.

On topic though, Halo: CE blew my mind when I was kid.  I stuck around because I actually enjoyed every Halo title that has been released.  You won't find a more competitive multiplayer in any other game, IMO.

Are you referring to all Halos? Cause that's definitely not true. For FPS's being most skillful and most competitive i think it goes Quake, Counter Strike, Halo:CE, in that order. If you want to talk Halo 4, there are plent of games that are more competitive like, TTT2(Tekken Tag Tournament 2), SSFIVAE, KoF 13, SC2, etc. The FGC has been more competitive than Halo for a while now which is one of the reasons why i've switched over to fighting games to play competitively.

Don't worry, i got you with this one. ;) B)

X = X

B = Box

One = One

There for X+B+One = XBOne

The game mechanics.  The BR is probably my favorite weapons in the FPS's I've played.  Having to hit all rounds through the entire burst makes strafing and aiming exciting.  There's a lot of other stuff I like (liked), but that's the brunt of it.  I tried going to COD a long time ago but just found the game mechanics boring and quit gaming for a while instead.  So I stick around because the current settings are just entertaining enough to keep me playing, but mainly because there's nothing else I like at the moment.

Halo was the first time I ever really got into a game. I remember my older brother bought CE back in 01 (he was 17, i was 15). He and I would play the campaign endlessly or 1v1 on all the fantastic maps, screaming at each other for screen-peeking the whole time. When H2 finally came out I was able to test myself against others who played the game on XBL. I found that I was better than most, but there was no shortage of people who could tear my face off. That, in essence is what makes me love halo: the competition. I love being able to test myself against others and shorten the list of people who can, "tear my face off." Even though halo is not as competitive as it once was, no other FPS matches it at this point in my opinion.

AKA: I've been playing it forever, and nothing better has come out at this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If i was good enough at FPS to make money I probably would leave Halo. I completely understand a pro's mindset: go where the money is. Unfortunately I'm not that good and although I'd like to be that good I'm not willing to put forth the time and effort to be that good. Even though I wouldn't enjoy playing a different game like Call of Duty like I would Halo I still wouldn't look back. It's a rare thing to be paid to do something you would normally would do for free otherwise, I wouldn't compromise that.

So why haven't I switched? I like arena shooters. I'm not a pro, but I'm good at them and I enjoy playing them. Although Halo 4 is not exactly an arena shooter, there are still some glimpses of the genre in playlists like Throwdown. 

I don't play Halo anymore, does me posting on a discussion board count as sticking around?

Yup.  I do the same thing.  I will always follow Halo and support it, but I have not put H4 in my box for months.  Its just not enjoyable for me to play.