Sign in to follow this  
aPK

Why Have You Stuck With Halo?

Halo was the first video game I've ever played in my life on a console. I was 4 years old at that time but I played the campaign on Halo 1 and though I didn't know what I was doing I still had fun and had fun playing Halo 2 as well. Halo 3 was when I started to explore matchmaking while still loving Halo's campaign and matchmaking made me fall in love with Halo even more, like hell I even remember my first time playing matchmaking me and my friend were sneaking from his brother while he was skateboarding so we quickly on his account and his friends xbl acc. and we played a social slayer Team BRs on Narrows and I remember having the mic and I met a really racist person against asians so when he heard my voice he cussed the hell out of me it was...well memorable. However when Reach came around I didn't have with the game, it just wasn't the game I fell in love and had fun with. So during that time I played a lot of Battlefield 3 with my friends and with that I discovered "The Controller : Battlefield 3 by GameSpot" on YouTube and there I discovered Neighbor Bravo and Tsquared and Halo eSports and MLG and with that I found the v7 settings I started playing again. However with Halo 4, with it's core gameplay and competitive tournament gameplay I just couldn't find the game fun and so I stopped Halo. I still stick around with the community but I can't play it anymore it's too...alien for me it's not the game I truly enjoyed

It has been my childhood friend since the beginning. However, like most childhood friends, its getting harder and harder to act the same to each other, after meting new friends(games), and changing our perspectives. 

I'm not entirely sure, maybe it's because it's all I know. I've made a lot of friends from Halo but they're all gone now. I don't like COD, but if I found another game I enjoyed I would leave Halo 4. Halo 4 isn't fun to play alone, it's more enjoyable to play with friends. I think it's because I always wanted to go pro some day.

I never had the "I remember Halo 2" and seeing all the MLG events. I wasn't into it, I just remember playing Halo 3 for a whole month straight when I stayed with a cousin and never got to play it again. So Halo 4 has had to be my Halo and any memorable tournament I'll ever have seen is from AGL.

I stick with it cause its my Halo, and even if its not the best or second best Halo, it's one I've learned to love and has made me love eSports now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've stayed with it because I love everything about Halo the story line the characters and even the sniper rifle is the best out of all console games because its so amazing when you no scope somebody. and all the medals you can get along with forge, And just all the little things that halo has, makes the game so much BETTER than all the other FPS games in my opinion.

I Have Many Reason, But Manly Because I Have been Playing it Since The Beginning In Halo Combat Evolved, and I Love this Franchise to Death, I have seen what this Game is Capable of and how People React when they See it, and I wanna Be There When Halo Takes it's Throne Back, and not Be Siting In The Corner just Peaking around the wall and Check back once and awhile, Halo Is and always will Be My first Choice over any Other Game, And the Amount of Work and Dedication That Goes Into Halo, i Think It Deserves the Same Back, But People are to Blind to see That. 

:beyond:

Because I've been playing halo since halo CE and if you say you love halo you don't jump ship after one bad game if you do then you clearly don't care for the name going to play a different game and saying screw halo doesn't help the halo name at all

• Upvote (+1) 2

I started playing halo when I was 14 in 2003. I was at a pawn shop in my local town and saw a copy of Halo with a “Game of the Year” gold bubble and “THE KILLER APP FOR THE XBOX” “10 OUT OF 10” exclamation on the box art. At the time I had only heard of Halo and had been primarily a PC FPS player with little knowledge of how to play FPS games on a controller outside of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and all the N64 fps games I had played into the ground as a child. I bought the game solely because of the box art. I found the claims to be intriguing. The game cost me 10 dollars as did every Xbox title at the time in this particular pawn shop.  I brought the game home and instantly fell in love. I went to school that Monday and found out all my friends played, too. From that next weekend on the 8-10 of us would have a lan every weekend doing 2v2 matches and 1v1 tournaments not for a monetary prize but for the personal gain and sense of accomplishment it gives someone to lan Halo. I became really good at Halo CE fast and stood in line at my local Walmart for 2 hours to make sure I was able to obtain Halo 2 on launch night. I slept that night when I got home around midnight and after school the next day I played Halo 2 for close to 20 hours straight. This love for Halo has lasted across all games. I bought every game including Halo Wars and ODST on launch night, even buying Crackdown on launch just for the Halo 3 beta that was promised. I can agree that every Halo since Halo 2 has become less competitive and added random elements to the gameplay but I think Halo gave me enough as a child and growing up into an adult that I can give them my loyalty in return. As someone who started watching compeitive Halo with Halo 2 and has attended two tournaments and watched every single MLG/TLN/AGL lan that was broadcasted, I can only hope things can be somewhat salvaged and the compeitive scene can recover in some compacity. I don’t think Halo 4 was a bad game by any stretch. I think Halo 4 was eventually shaped into a very worthy FPS. A subpar Halo game is still, in my mind, a great FPS. The issues I have with Halo 4 can be turned into quite a long list but so could my issues with any FPS put under comparable scrutiny. The next game needs descope, flag juggling, toggle switch for sprint, vivid colors, less bloom lighting, a better forge, more levels, smaller levels, better gametypes, faster base movement speed, more reactive/responsive strafing, better physics, a more focused sandbox, and a few more minor tweaks. The problem with abandoning Halo is that I know the game is finally in good hands. Dedicated servers alone will help the net Halo game immensely. Along with the fact that 343 have made some amazing personnel additions lately I can’t imagine them ignoring all the feedback the core Halo fans have submitted. The game is in its worst state that I remember Halo ever being in. Pros are moving onto COD because of the better opportunities for money, core Halo fans are moving on because the competitive Halo settings are not to the standards of yore, and our tournament scene is dwindling faster than anyone could have anticipated. So why am I not giving up on Halo? I am not giving up on Halo because I have hope for its future.  Not blind hope, but real genuine faith in 343 to turn things around. In the meantime this does not mean I won’t play other games and I will certainly continue playing Halo 4. All it means is I will not bash 343 for their shortcomings and I will continue to support them.

TL;DR- Halo was a big part of a lot of our childhoods and is still a part of our lives. I feel like we should all give our feedback to help shape the future of Halo and support out DEV in any way we can. Just because we play COD or BF in our spare time for fun and for competition does not mean we are giving up on Halo. There is no reason a console gamer should be restricted to just one competitive FPS. Halo will forever be a lot of our first FPS love and for me it will always come first before COD or BF but that doesn’t mean I will not have a hell of a lot of fun playing all three titles and supporting Halo as my main game. I don’t think Halo pros should switch to COD and settle for not making money placing top 32 maybe top 16, 3 times a year, but if they do I can respect the competitive drive. SORRY SO LONG. <3 HALO.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Like the large majority of people that play video games, I have not nor will I ever make money from competing. The money in cod isn't going to make me stop playing Halo. That's just silly. I play Halo because I love Halo. The gameplay is just enjoyable to me and always has been. To all the people that are trying to switch to cod because the money is there, I want you to ask yourself one question. Did you ever make money competing in Halo? The answer is most likely no. I highly doubt a life long Halo player will miraculously be a GOAT at cod.

I honestly believe people are switching games because they see that cod is so popular now and they just want to be part of the "it crowd." try having minds of your own and actually play games that you enjoy playing. If you enjoy cod, great! This is for the people that are switching just to switch. This is video games, not a popularity contest. If you arent making money gaming, play what you enjoy playing.

I have stuck with Halo because...wait....now that I think about it........I dont know why...AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW WHY??

I've been going back and forth between Gears (2/3) between Halo titles (3/Reach/4) and Halo was the first shooter I felt I was good at. (Played Unreal Tourn/Champ, Delta Force, Counterstrike, Quake)

I play H1 LANs weekly if that counts as sticking with Halo.  Though that's all I play when it comes to Halo, I quit h4.

THough the reason I guess I stick with H1 is that the quick gameplay, thought processes, skill gap and the meta has yet to be surpassed by any console FPS.  The closest is Shadowrun but for the most part that's basically it, nothing gets close to that when it comes to console FPS.

Because it's fun making mods for Halo 4. Matchmaking is dead to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Warning, long post inc.

As someone who has "competed" and followed many different competitive games over the years they just don't quite come close to the heart as Halo does. I began my eSports venture watching Halo and following some of the best pros back in the day. My favorite team of any competitive game still is the 08 Str8 Rippin squad: TSquared, Snipedown, Elamite Warrior and Legit. When I was younger I used to always want to quickscope like Legit did back in that day and would want to learn how to snipe so god damn good like Snipedown.

I never really had the chance to show/prove my skill in any way as my living situation to be able to game was quite difficult. Suffice it to stay I stayed glued to Youtube as I wanted to watch as many MLG games as possible and learn from the best players and copy every single move they made. I was ultimately hooked and by the time I was truly able to play Halo online I could never be as good due to my shitty internet and not enough practice (I think I managed a 25 in the MLG playlist.....). As reach came out I slowly lost sight of the scene and quickly forgot it as life and School just decided to say "SUP BRO".

I got back into eSports with Starcraft and began competing in the scene with a trip to MLG Orlando in 2011. After that I bounced around games such as DoTA2 and League of Legends. But these games for some reason still couldn't fill a hole in the void. I had played reach in this time but only casually as I felt the Halo I came to know and love in the competitive scene was quickly coming to an end of its golden days.

Then Halo 4.

I felt that this was the game that would truly bring the game back, and would help the community come together and return Halo to what it once was. After it's release I saw that MLG would no longer support it, and the devs didn't seem to care too much about the competitive side as much. The beginning was slow but we got places with AGL and UMG. The Devs began to help support our side and there was a glimmer of hope.

I went to Singapore with a hidden agenda in mind. I wanted to bring Halo eSports back and pushed extremely hard to do so at Razer. I saw that the eSports scene didn't really care about it and I was called out many times in the office that I was wasting time and the companies time doing so. I wanted to get Warriors sponsored, I wanted to help AGL. But things just never could. My manager had a tight ship to run and he did what was the best thing for the company. Ultimately I felt that some people I tried to help felt that I was making promises I couldn't keep and after I left I felt extremely alienated by some members as I had wanted to help but couldn't.

After Razer I sought to help any eSports teams to pick me up and now that I work in Call of Duty I can see how bad our community is right now. It makes me sad that players are leaving this game and that our tournaments aren't garnering enough support. It sucks that players can't make it to certain events and we never break 15k viewers on our streams.

Halo is more than just a game for me, it is a lifestyle, movement and its something that I will always be a part of in any way shape or form. I will continue to support and will do what I can for Halo as much as I can. I hope that the community will one day be bigger than starcraft or even compete with League.

One can dream.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Reading this thread makes me feel so nostalgic and sad for the state of Halo MP, I doubt any of the MP designers at 343 that made Halo 4 feel the same we do about Halo MP or they would not of made H4 aka Spartan Warfare and gave comp Halo the finger at launch.

Halo 5 needs to be made by knowledgeable Halo fans who love Halo, not those who "hate" it just looking to add to their resume.

Simply put, exterminations give me boners.

No but in all seriousness this community is my home. Not to sound cheesy or some shit, but as a kid I was socially awkward and didn't care much for people. But when I saw MLG on USA and observed a bunch of other nerds among each other I related to these people. They came together for the love of the game. I wasn't a fan of Halo until that day. It's the community that makes this game. Nothing more nothing less. Halo has giving me a sense of normality in a world I once did not enjoy and made me want to excel at something. Not only that, but the amount of awesome friends I have made through Halo is something I will never get anywhere else in life.

Halo means everything to me and to see where we are today does not bug me. Maybe I'm the only one that see's this game second and the people I became friends with around me more so. Does the state of Halo suck? Yes, I agree. But Beyond and Halo over the past 6 years has been nothing but good to me. 

I played video games as a kid. Last game I played was Goldeneye for the N64 which came out in 1997.

Didn't play anything else or own a system until 2005 - bought an Xbox after playing Halo 2 once.

So I stick with Halo because for me it is video gaming, once Halo is dead I'm done with gaming completely. I still have an Xbox and use it for netflix and play a few bullshit games on it but there's no way I would by an Xbone if Halo 5 isn't at least better than Halo 2. (there's no reason it couldn't be.)

Halo 5 needs to be made by knowledgeable Halo fans who love Halo, not those who "hate" it just looking to add to their resume.

Agreed.

• Upvote (+1) 1