Sign in to follow this  
aPK

Why Have You Stuck With Halo?

I don't really know. I have so many good memories playing CE with my brother and friends for several hours in a row. Then later on during Halo 2 I started competing in a few MLG events with some friends, and then I met Gandhi, Maven, the Ogres, Side, Walshy, and a few other pros. Never really was close with them, but some of my best memories are playing competitive Halo. Seeing Ola stand on his chair after finally placing in a FFA, taking top 32 in Chicago 06, Fumbleyame, Carbon upsetting FB, and a lot of other great moments. Halo may not have been my main competitive game, but I have always liked it.

I stuck with Halo for 3 reasons

1.The friends I made through Halo

2. My understanding of Halo competitively, and not wanting to start over fresh with a new shooter game.

3. Waiting to see if a new Halo game can ever match or trump Halo 2, addicting-wise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because i'm not going to switch to a game I don't enjoy just because it's on the circuit, i'm not going to start a new game and assume i'll make money like everyone else is. Cod's been in our situation and they banded together, us on the other hand we have idiots like formal who just constantly bash even though he wins every event..... Ungrateful..... Let's not forgot the 500k tourney everyones gunna play in then switch to cod

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm done with Halo 4, but I am not done with Halo in general. Halo has always been that "Go Too" game because of the competitiveness with it. I can't forget the good times back in Halo 2 were I could go on Matchmaking and just have a lot of fun playing Doubles or Snipers and even sitting in a custom game doing superjumps, but the thing that kept me with Halo was the competitive community. I loved going to events, playing all nighters just to get better.

Lets just hope and pray for Halo 5 to come back with "Halo" and bring that competitive little kid back in me.

Because even at Halo's worst, it's still less random and more balanced than other competitive titles out now. Yesterday I gave Black Ops 2 a try, and even though I stuck around a 2KD every game, I wasn't having fun, nor did I feel accomplished after any kill. Hell, even long kill streaks didn't feel rewarding, yet one close snipe duel or clutch play feels ten times better than stomping people in CoD. 

For a Halo game, Halo 4 is pretty awful. 
Compared to FPSes out now, i'd still consider it much better than the competition. The others just have more of a following.

I've stuck with 4 because I started to get into competitive play (spectating) and have been following the growth of AGL. While I've somewhat comes to realization that it probably won't magically grow the community, I still enjoy watching people compete at a high level. Think  AGL 8, not 9... or 10. 

This is horribly jumbled, but as with Cyren, Halo's been the one constant in my gaming 'career'. I could always rely on it for a good time, whether it be forging, custom games, or matchmaking. That was until Reach. Even then, i still enjoy the game, just not to the same degree.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Despite Halo taking on a lot of CoD elements, there aren't many games that capture the feel Halo multiplayer has. There is Murder Miners and Rogue Squadron, but I can't think of any else.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I started back in Halo: Reach (Yeah I'm a reach kid deal with it) but i've also played into the other Halos. The big reason I keep wanting to stick with Halo was because of the originality. In my mind, COD and BF were just not as appealing. Originally, I was this casual player, and i would get really frustrated at the game, but still play it because it was just really enjoyable. When I started getting into the competitive scene and getting better in general, the game really became more fun. Running 4s or 8s in Reach's MLG playlist was so fun when you had some buddies who were decent and could have a great time. Unfortunately, Halo 4 has not been able to get up to that same level, even with all the updates and hard work put into it (Thanks Ghost + Others). Hopefully 343 can bring back that same level of enjoyment had with previous Halos. I believe the possibility is there, and they just need to make it happen. If 343 can't bring back the originality and creativity that made Halo what it is, I think the game and both casual and competitive scenes are going to fade away with it.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd say it's a combination of hardcore nostalgia, a few close friends sticking with the game, and the little bit of hope I still have inside that another Halo game with come out someday that can come close to replicating how awesome Halo 2 was to me.

I stuck with Halo because I want to keep getting better so when the next big Halo game comes out (hopefully Halo 5) I will be ready to face the competition and increased skill gap. Also been playing Halo for so long and nothing is exciting as seeing someone out BR someone or get that insane no scope live on my screen.  

I haven't played a game of Halo 4 since the second week of the tourney. I'm burnt out on it.

I come back here because every other forum sees Halo through rainbow-tinted glasses, and nothing pisses me off more than purposeful ignorance. Oh, and I like you guys.  :frankerz:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo is the fps i have the most fun with.  It's the only one i can have fun playing competitively, and when i say fun, i mean the most amount of fun in my life.  Halo 3 is my personal favorite, just because i never got to play H2 online.  It's unbelievable how much fun i had trying to get 50's with my friends, and trying to be the first to do so.  But once halo reach came out, most of my friends backed away from halo in general.  It's saddening.  But their excuses are legit.  With halo reach, and halo 4, i have found myself having the least amount of fun in any halo game.  But don't get me wrong, they both have the potential to be fun, it's just a rare occurrence to me.  I think it was the 1-50 ranking system that kept me invested in halo 3, even though its a pain to play online because of the horrible hit detection + having the lead shots.  That brings me to halo 4.  Halo 4 in my opinion is only fun when i play with friends casually.  Competitively however, i have the worst experiences.  The ranking system that 343 implemented post launch was what i was mostly excited for when they announced it at MLG.  But its execution is flawed.  The ranking system doesn't make sense, it seems like no matter how many games i win, i never go up.  It's not rewarding, and i feel no sense of completion or empowerment once i get a 50, that nobody sees.  Halo plays differently and feels unique, and no matter how much they change it, it still feels the same.

The variety in halo is amazing. It can be anywhere from trick jumps, to social montages, to competitive tournaments and is always fun to play. Even when you think a game like Halo 4 is not "Halo" standard it is still leagues from CoD or any shooter in that case.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo has always been around when I've been down, had a bad day, just when everything seemed to suck.

I could always turn my Xbox on and it didn't matter if it's Halo:CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, or Halo 4 for that matter.

No matter what when I play Halo nothing else matters for that moment in time, doesn't matter if it's 1-2 hours or a 8+ hour day on Halo.

It always has helped get me through the tough days. I loved playing Team Hardcore (H2), or the MLG playlist (Halo 3/Reach), and Team Throwdown.

All that mattered to me at that moment in those playlists or customs even was having fun, winning, and becoming the best at Halo no matter what.

Now that Halo is down and needing a hand why would I just turn away from it when it has helped me for years? I won't. 

Yes I play CoD and other games I enjoy other games but Halo is in my heart it's like part of the family almost as weird as it sounds.

Hell I almost cried at the end of Halo 4's campaign when cortana died, granted I knew that they would most likely do something to bring her back.

I obviously play the game more then just when I'm down or having a tough day.

But it no matter what Halo has always been there when I just needed to get my mind off everything for a little bit or calm down.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because Halo 2 and Halo 3 gave me so many good memories that despite the disappointment that's Halo 4, it's not enough to make me leave the franchise.

Who knows? Maybe Halo 5 would be as good as the Halo classics everyone loved.

Ive stuck with halo for what it has meant to me in the past and what I hope for in the future. If 343 hadn't pushed out the weapon update and developer support in to tournaments I might have given up on their efforts. I believe they recognize the importance of the competitive aspect for a game such as halo, and bringing in josh menke who created the Starcraft 2 as well as blops 2's ranking system along with 60 fps and dedicated servers is a huge step in the right direction. I believe halo for the xboxone will revisit the success we lived through in the past.

Well i actually don't play Halo 4 at all anymore. It's been quite some time. I just spend a lot of time on my PC or Phone so i pop in here and there to see if just maybe something that will make me want to play again has happened. And i like a good number of the posters here and like seeing what they have to say on any given day on the subjects at hand here.

I was going to say because of my good halo friends. But we have all moved on to playing other games together.

Because just hearing the menu music still gets me excited to play.

It's a Pavlovian response after all these years.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Everything besides the competitive aspect.

There's a whole lot more to Halo than competitive multiplayer. Hell, competitive multiplayer isn't even 25% of Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because of my friends in the community and my interest in the comp scene, and because Halo is just a fun game to me on a mental and mechanical level. There is endless combat situations depending on shield/health amount, movement, elevation, grenade angle, map type, weapon, numbers, different call-outs, PW's/map control ect...its just a very good team game and the battles are more satisfying to me than other shooters on console where aim and smarts are essential to being good.

The Sandbox dynamics used to be my favorite aspect of the game but most of those have been taken out but I still enjoy the unique style of the game more than other current shooters. Most of my other favorite shooter franchises I grew up playing like Unreal tournament('99, but mostly UT 2004) and RS(pre-Vegas) are MIA or they kind of suck now like Halo :( .

Because of the all-nighters that were pulled in halo 2. No game has ever gave me a rush like that game, it was literally every game (without cheaters).... So much fun. After that, any cod game feels shallow. Clans made me meet so many new people, friends that I still have to this day that live across the country.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Now I just play to get my shooter fix. But I can never play halo 4 by myself, and I never play for more than 90 minutes. I stick around, just hoping that there will be news of an update, no sprint, halo 5 gameplay footage, anything to get me excited about this franchise. So I guess to answer your question.... Hope