Sign in to follow this  
reiku78

if you're not known don't speak.

Casuals do not provide the money to keep pros in business, sponsors and the developer do(if you need proof check what activision has done for COD). This game was made for casuals and it has pretty much put halo pros out of business. 

Casuals support the developer, and prove to the publisher that the game is worthy of a sequel. Without their support, you'd be less likely to see the franchise continue. If Halo 4 had only sold 30k copies (the number of people still around) instead of hundreds of thousands, the executives backing the next Halo project wouldn't want to invest their time and money. He's not saying gameplay built for "casuals" is good.

Halo 3 got the balance between casuals and competitive players spot on. Splitting playlists into social and ranked meant that the casuals provided Bungie with tons of useful insight on how to make the social playlists more fun and enjoyable, and the competitive players provided feedback on the ranked playlists to make them more competitive and skill-based. The casual players felt happy playing social matches, and the competitive players felt happy playing ranked matches.

And it wasn't even though competitive players didn't play social playlists and vice versa. That's because they knew what to expect. Competitive players played social playlists to have a bit of a laugh and put up with less skill based gameplay, and casual players played ranked playlists to try and get better at the game and rank up, and put up with more skill-based playlists. The system just worked. Halo has both a competitive aspect, and a casual aspect, and Halo 3 celebrated BOTH of these.

The problem with Halo 4 is that all the playlists are together in one list. This means that players don't feel like they "belong" in any of the playlists. The social players try to give feedback on the competitive playlists, but can't because the pros feel like they have the best insight on these, and the competitive players try to give feedback about things (e.g. removing ordnance/armour abilities/sprint) on the more social playlists, but as a result, upset the casual players who enjoy the new features Halo 4 has to offer.

The fact is that it is impossible for competitive and casual players to agree on how a game should be played. So the only option is to separate the two groups of players, whilst still making it possible for casual players to dabble with competitive playlists and vice versa. Bungie had the magic formula, and this has been lost somewhere on the way.

p.s. I never played Halo 2 properly so I'm unaware of whether the same ranked/social playlists thing appeared in that game as well as H3.  

Hit the nail on the head.

As for your question about H2, yeah, there were social and ranked playlists. The UI was different, so the playlists were all in one big list instead of one for ranked and one for social. Even so, the playlists were plainly marked as ranked or unranked.

I'll always prefer H2 to H3 in terms of gameplay, but in terms of community features (Forge, Theater, etc.) H3 did it perfectly. Forge allowed people to put their own spin on maps. Theater gave EVERYONE the ability to share that nasty no-scope with their buddies, and there was a way to play for everyone, from social BTB for the people who liked to clown around in vehicles, to the MLG playlist for the competitive types.

"You can attend every baseball game for your favorite team for your whole life but you can't say anything bad about the roster."

I hate people who think like that, I hate the term 'casual' but I am someone who is 50/50 in terms of competitiveness and I consider myself quite knowledgeable when it comes to the formula of the game, so people who say that are being quite ignorant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Completely agree.  Not to be too serious cause I'm not, but I honestly think the pros coming here and elsewhere trolling isn't even funny. It's not a huge deal and I guess since other people think it's funny they can carry on, but I haven't even cracked one fuckin smirk

I think it's corny as hell when they troll...for example...DOING THIS IS NOT FUNNY...AT ALL...LETHUL

"You can attend every baseball game for your favorite team for your whole life but you can't say anything bad about the roster."

I hate people who think like that, I hate the term 'casual' but I am someone who is 50/50 in terms of competitiveness and I consider myself quite knowledgeable when it comes to the formula of the game, so people who say that are being quite ignorant.

I've been called a casual since day one I played halo online. And since I am not the best at halo but I know the game people still say and I quote. " Your K/D is .75 you have no right to play this game. Your a casual I have a 2.35 k/d and I play the game for fun but I am compective and you're not. If you want to play a casual game go play CoD and get off halo your a disgrace to this community and this game " End quote. Its getting old that the casual players who stick with the game get looked down on and attack thats why alot of people leave or just play for a few hours and stop. 

The fuck is this Reach kid? Do you even have your 50 bro? LOL Jk. Kids like that are just mad man. They want to be something but never amount to anything so they take it out on the smaller creatures on Halo. People do not understand that treating newer/less experienced players is what is contributing to the downfall of Halo. For all we know you could be young blood and the face of the mainstage in a few years. Sadly, our young blood gets trash talked to the point that they quit playing. Way to go Halo community.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fuck is this Reach kid? Do you even have your 50 bro? LOL Jk. Kids like that are just mad man. They want to be something but never amount to anything so they take it out on the smaller creatures on Halo. People do not understand that treating newer/less experienced players is what is contributing to the downfall of Halo. For all we know you could be young blood and the face of the mainstage in a few years. Sadly, our young blood gets trash talked to the point that they quit playing. Way to go Halo community.

I never got a 50 in h3 I got stuck at 35 cause I had no one to play with. I get called a reach kid every time I play with people on h4 or even h3. I sit there and go. " Hey buddy If I am a reach kid then why does it say on Halo 3 my first achievement was in 07? " And the shut up lol

I never got a 50 in h3 I got stuck at 35 cause I had no one to play with. 

Well now no need to go and make excuses.   You *could* get a 50 in team playlists just by searching by yourself eventually, but you could at least get to 45 alone (I have), and of course there was always lone wolves.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Well now no need to go and make excuses.   You *could* get a 50 in team playlists just by searching by yourself eventually, but you could at least get to 45 alone (I have), and of course there was always lone wolves.

Um lets see here I am not the best and I hate FFA so ya its annoying when you get ranked locked cause you lose to many matches and can level rank up.

Um lets see here I am not the best and I hate FFA so ya its annoying when you get ranked locked cause you lose to many matches and can level rank up.

Look, it's fine to say that you weren't that good at halo 3.  Just don't make excuses like "i didn't have anyone to play with".  Even without anyone a good player could at least get to 45.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

So I am forced to play by myself and barely win matches and lose almost all of them and get ranked locked?

Don't discuss things if you're not a pro. That would defeat the whole point of this forum wouldn't it? 

And it wasn't even though competitive players didn't play social playlists and vice versa. That's because they knew what to expect. Competitive players played social playlists to have a bit of a laugh and put up with less skill based gameplay, and casual players played ranked playlists to try and get better at the game and rank up, and put up with more skill-based playlists. The system just worked. Halo has both a competitive aspect, and a casual aspect, and Halo 3 celebrated BOTH of these.

This is the thing. Loads of casual players played ranked - far more casuals played ranked than competitive players. This was just proof that a more competitive game = enjoyable game for everyone, not just competitive players. In Halo 3, you had to play ranked games to get your overall rank up - and, since you were generally matched up properly with people of your skill level, it was fun for everyone to hop into ranked.

Halo is a competitive arena shooter at heart, and everyone enjoyed that - even casuals. Halo has just lost its identity now by trying to appeal to a more 'casual' fanbase - the inrony being of course that it already attracted that casual fanbase back when it was a competitive game...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hit the nail on the head.

As for your question about H2, yeah, there were social and ranked playlists. The UI was different, so the playlists were all in one big list instead of one for ranked and one for social. Even so, the playlists were plainly marked as ranked or unranked.

I'll always prefer H2 to H3 in terms of gameplay, but in terms of community features (Forge, Theater, etc.) H3 did it perfectly. Forge allowed people to put their own spin on maps. Theater gave EVERYONE the ability to share that nasty no-scope with their buddies, and there was a way to play for everyone, from social BTB for the people who liked to clown around in vehicles, to the MLG playlist for the competitive types.

Cheers :) And thanks for clearing that up about H2, did think it was a slightly different system but wasn't sure.

And yeah I agree, there was just SO much to do in Halo 3. It was surely one of the first console FPS games to have a theatre and a map editor mode (forge). I'm still amazed at how long it took for CoD to get its own theatre. It was just such a complete game- there wasn't anything that was missing. Everyone was catered for and that was the best thing about it. There were just no clashes between casual players and competitive players.

This is the thing. Loads of casual players played ranked - far more casuals played ranked than competitive players. This was just proof that a more competitive game = enjoyable game for everyone, not just competitive players. In Halo 3, you had to play ranked games to get your overall rank up - and, since you were generally matched up properly with people of your skill level, it was fun for everyone to hop into ranked.

Halo is a competitive arena shooter at heart, and everyone enjoyed that - even casuals. Halo has just lost its identity now by trying to appeal to a more 'casual' fanbase - the inrony being of course that it already attracted that casual fanbase back when it was a competitive game...

EXACTLY.

Sadly...this is much of the competitive community these days.... elitism everywhere(idk why...Halo 4 is dad)

There have been both ''pros'' and ''casuals'' who have had awful/great ideas in the past when it came to which settings/gametypes worked best or made halo better. Are we really going to pretend we forgot about FraGTaLiTy's Reach settings? Either way, I lurk a lot in the settings/gametypes thread and I read every post regardless of who it came from. Mainly, because if someone took time out of their day to log onto these forums and post their opinion maybe they care? 

@Reiku, I'm sorry you had to witness something that I thought was a thing of the past.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Either way, I lurk a lot in the settings/gametypes thread and I read every post regardless of who it came from. Mainly, because if someone took time out of their day to log onto these forums and post their opinion maybe they care? 

Good Guy Munoz :)

There have been both ''pros'' and ''casuals'' who have had awful/great ideas in the past when it came to which settings/gametypes worked best or made halo better. Are we really going to pretend we forgot about FraGTaLiTy's Reach settings? Either way, I lurk a lot in the settings/gametypes thread and I read every post regardless of who it came from. Mainly, because if someone took time out of their day to log onto these forums and post their opinion maybe they care? 

@Reiku, I'm sorry you had to witness something that I thought was a thing of the past.

I've tried to forget those settings. You just brought back a nightmare lol.

If you read my post, first, start listening to Sonic Carnival Night Zone linked below so you can get soak in the lolz and get ready to read my post.

Next, follow this link and read this Halo 2 wishlist below. The whole idea of "PROZ HATERZ ON CASUALZ AND IZ LE SMARTER" is actually based in reality because most ideas are actually really silly and bad. Its not that the "PROZ GAMERZ" are "TEH WORTHY" unlike everyone else, its just that they HAVE spent the time devising clever, measured ideas that are generally more respectable than some wishlist. Just go on youtube and you can find "Le Science" that MLG kids have done over the years where they literally perform experiments with hit detection and physics to either verify hypotheses or other things that I would classify as Le Science.

I personally think it is FUN and OK to make wishlists, but I think it is equally important to understand that most ideas are bad and that wishlists are empirically, definitely "circlejerks" in their purest form. I hope that I have entertained you with my quality reply to the 1000th "ZOMG MLG HATERZ THINK THEY R TEH 1337" thread in the MLG/competitive gaming community.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/halo-wish-list.htm

Last night I went on to  youtube and some other forums and was reading and watching peoples opinions one came off to me as harsh. The person said if your not known in the community nor are you pro at the game you should have not have a reason to fix a game. If you play the game alot and not known leave the changes to the pros and don't complain about the settings that are being played.

I am a casual I am not known in the community nor am I a pro at halo or Cod or anything.. I take it as that you must leave all the changes to the pro's and if you speak up you should get thrown to the side and laughed at by people who only play the game for money and are the ones who know how a game works and you don't.

If you had your way, in this forum or any, good sir, how would you like to be addressed and how would you like your opinions to be received? Why should anyone care? Why are your ideas even worth putting down on paper?

Just some questions for you to think over sir

If you had your way, in this forum or any, good sir, how would you like to be addressed and how would you like your opinions to be received? Why should anyone care? Why are your ideas even worth putting down on paper?

Just some questions for you to think over sir

I am trying to say when someone like me puts something out there that sounds like a good idea and might be good for the game the compective crowd or someone else looks at and go's " These will not help anyone you casual! Only compective players are allowed to make setting changes or say what should be added now stfu and go back to being a casual " So its almost imposable for someone is new to the game to come in say something that they think would be good and they get attacked and they go back to being slient and their idea does not even get a whif or a look at.

As I said in the past I'm not new. Been playing since CE and started playing only halo since halo 3.