Sam

Why No Sprint needs to be universal for Halo 5

We might lose some "New generation fans" if we do this but wgaf

Where exactly are they then?

Sprint has to go. Descope has to comeback. Loadouts have to go, and the list goes on and on. Basically all the new trash that has been added since h3 has to go(including h3 equipment, but that isn't anywhere near as bad as AA's).

The only new things we need are spectator and a ranking system. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why 343i won't be universal for Halo 5:

More people want sprint.

More people want sprint gone, look at the populations.

We might lose some "New generation fans" if we do this but wgaf

But we'll bring back more players who desire classic Halo then lose players who dislike Sprint. ;)

No.

Neg me all you want. But not having sprint is wrong. Get off your nostalgia grasping butts and move on... No sprint WILL kill halo. That really will Finnish it. Ghost has been saying it.. 343 has Been saying it.. Let go of what you think halo IS and play a good game that's called halo.

Blah blah "numbers went down since sprint"

Bros, the numbers would still be down even if sprint never came to be. Halo needs sprint now.

Sad times. :(

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Sprint has to go. Descope has to comeback. Loadouts have to go, and the list goes on and on. Basically all the new trash that has been added since h3 has to go(including h3 equipment, but that isn't anywhere near as bad as AA's).

The only new things we need are spectator and a ranking system. 

stuff like that is why halo is so bad, instead of just building upon a good foundation or trying to make not so great ideas work instead they said screw it and just did whatever they felt like, as an example instead of trying to make a better ranking system bungie just removed it from all playlists (except arena) or in 343i case they just made it invisible.

No.

Neg me all you want. But not having sprint is wrong. Get off your nostalgia grasping butts and move on... No sprint WILL kill halo. That really will Finnish it. Ghost has been saying it.. 343 has Been saying it.. Let go of what you think halo IS and play a good game that's called halo.

Bros, the numbers would still be down even if sprint never came to be. Halo needs sprint now.

play halo 1-3, play reach NS, at what point did halo suffer because of not having sprint?

don't misunderstand I don't hate sprint, sprint works but NS works better and thats why we're so compassionate about its removal.

Great argument. You win. 

your argument was terrible, you blame halo 4's poor population on sprint with no evidence to support that theory whatsoever.

• Downvote (-1) 1

No.

No sprint can't kill Halo because sprint already did.  Ghost can say it and 343 can say it, but I have to disagree.  I do understand Ghost's hesitation to remove it from H4 since the non-competitive maps were designed with sprint in mind.  Halo doesn't need sprint anymore than hockey needs snowmobiles.

As a mostly BTB player, I never got the "we need sprint for BTB" argument.

If you buffed the movement speed for 4 v 4 because it had no sprint, you would have to do the same for 8 v 8 as-well, what's the point of sprint in 8 v 8 if you are only abit slower not sprinting? If you nerf the effects of sprint to near useless, you might as-well not have it.

The game will function much better with-out sprint, why some people do not understand this despite our complaints and reasoning behind them is beyond me. 

No.

There's a reason the numbers go down. It isn't because of Call of Duty, it's because of Microsoft/343's reaction to Call of Duty. They noticed Bungie's Halo Reach, and they probably assumed it pulled poor numbers because it wasn't enough like Call of duty.

They are dead wrong, And sprint over fast base movement is a big contributor of why people fucking hate halo Reach/4. When you have a game full of herpy-derpy bullshit and people running away like babies, it should click in your head that this game has become something other than halo.

Also, from what I've heard, Ghost wanted no sprint, but 343 wouldn't give it to him at the time he asked.

Edit: I decided to italicize the "a" for Bluejay.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As a mostly BTB player, I never got the "we need sprint for BTB" argument.

If you buffed the movement speed for 4 v 4 because it had no sprint, you would have to do the same for 8 v 8 as-well, what's the point of sprint in 8 v 8 if you are only abit slower not sprinting? If you nerf the effects of sprint to near useless, you might as-well not have it.

The game will function much better with-out sprint, why some people do not understand this despite our complaints and reasoning behind them is beyond me. 

its because they never played halo 1-3, hell they probably never even played NS reach, in a way I pity them.

No.

You really think casuals care about sprint? The primary complaints Cod/Battlefield players have with Halo are the long kill times, followed by the inability to ADS. Slightly decrease kill times and spawn players with a weapon that can scope (343 can even make the scope look realistic; I don't care as long as it's simple and clear)  and most people should be satisfied.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No.

What's your argument for Sprint? Please explain why you think it's a mechanic that a game like Halo needs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You really think casuals care about sprint? The primary complaints Cod/Battlefield players have with Halo are the long kill times, followed by the inability to ADS. Slightly decrease kill times and spawn players with a weapon that can scope (343 can even make the scope look realistic; I don't care as long as it's simple and clear) and most people should be satisfied.

Truth. Players won't flock to Halo because it has similar things to their favorite game that don't blend with Halo's sandbox; they'll come and stay because Halo is (will be) a great game. CoD and Battlefield have mechanics that play well in CoD and Battlefield, respectively. Imagine how angry people would be if CoD Ghosts had bullet drop like in Battlefield for the sole purpose of attracting Battlefield players... ridiculous.

No.

I believe that Ghost said that he wanted to keep sprint for developer support. Not because it would kill Halo. Sprint, AA's, no ranks, no descope, the DMR being a miserable weapon when Reach was launched(until the TU) all lead to the decrease in population we've seen.

stuff like that is why halo is so bad, instead of just building upon a good foundation or trying to make not so great ideas work instead they said screw it and just did whatever they felt like, as an example instead of trying to make a better ranking system bungie just removed it from all playlists (except arena) or in 343i case they just made it invisible.

play halo 1-3, play reach NS, at what point did halo suffer because of not having sprint?

don't misunderstand I don't hate sprint, sprint works but NS works better and thats why we're so compassionate about its removal.

your argument was terrible, you blame halo 4's poor population on sprint with no evidence to support that theory whatsoever.

It seems like you agree partially, but I was referring to Halo's population in general once sprint was introduced.

I believe that Ghost said that he wanted to keep sprint for developer support. Not because it would kill Halo. Sprint, AA's, no ranks, no descope, the DMR being a miserable weapon when Reach was launched(until the TU) all lead to the decrease in population we've seen.

It seems like you agree partially, but I was referring to Halo's population in general once sprint was introduced.

I agree to remove sprint because it serves no purpose in halo, sprint is accepted by the majority yet hated by the minority so I would assume it hurts halo 4's population but theres no real evidence to support that claim and it means little anyways.

There's a reason the numbers go down. It isn't because of Call of Duty, it's because of Microsoft/343's reaction to Call of Duty. They noticed Bungie's Halo Reach, and they probably assumed it pulled poor numbers because it wasn't enough like Call of duty.

They are dead wrong, And sprint over fast base movement is a big contributor of why people fucking hate halo Reach/4. When you have a game full of herpy-derpy bullshit and people running away like babies, it should click in your head that this game has become something other than halo.

Also, from what I've heard, Ghost wanted no sprint, but 343 wouldn't give it to him at the time he asked.

Edit: I decided to italicize the "a" for Bluejay.

The way I see it, Halo combat is actually made more realistic by no sprint. In H4 MP you play as SPARTAN-IVs wearing 800 lb MJOLNIR power armor suits, it would make sense that Spartans would move slower in them and move more carefully to avoid joint damage and fatigue.

It also makes sense from a game-play perspective because the medium-paced movement speed was optimal for the longer kill-times in standard Halo weapons so the player was punished for his decisions. This also allowed Arena-style maps like Mid-ship and Warlock to have interesting routes like teleporters and different power positions that were important strategical points on the map because getting to that position is much harder without the ability to sprint to it in 3-5 secs off spawn.

Predicting player movement an important aspect of Arena shooters was also easier with one gear movement speed, and it allowed more extensive mind-games to occur as well as more accurate grenades knowing he was moving the same speed as you were. Strafes are also made faster with higher base movement speed and the pace of the game fit the mechanics and map style of the game much more than a Halo game built with sprint in mind ever will. Anybody who played H1-H3 then played Default Reach or H4 knows why sprint is bad for the game.

Sprint has to go in order for real Halo to return, Halo either has to be made with sprint in mind or without there is no compromise that can be made. Halo or Spartan Warfare 343 you decide but the core MP fans will not be fooled into supporting the latter again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree to remove sprint because it serves no purpose in halo, sprint is accepted by the majority yet hated by the minority so I would assume it hurts halo 4's population but theres no real evidence to support that claim and it means little anyways.

So you don't think that the events with sprint in Reach, (which were nothing compared to the one Reach event without sprint) failed because of sprint? If you did play NB with sprint in Reach, you would know how much of a difference it makes. You cannot argue that Halo has been on a decline since sprint was introduced.

More people want sprint gone, look at the populations.

There are way to many variables introduced to say that sprint is the sole reason for Halo 4's low population numbers.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

There are way to many variables introduced to say that sprint is the sole reason for Halo 4's low population numbers.

Obviously. Its on of about 5 factors or so which I said in another post.

The way I see it, Halo combat is actually made more realistic by no sprint....

It makes sense, but IMO sprint shouldn't look so hard to do when spartans can draw out weapons and reload them quickly, as well as push their legs and jump. Though to say the least, Halo Reach's sprint was ridiculous for 800+ Lb spartans.

It also makes sense from a game-play perspective because the medium-paced movement speed was optimal for the longer kill-times in standard Halo weapons so the player was punished for his decisions. This also allowed Arena-style maps like Mid-ship and Warlock to have interesting routes like teleporters and different power positions that were important strategical points on the map because getting to that position is much harder without the ability to sprint to it in 3-5 secs off spawn.

Yep, and now sprint calls for the dreaded linear progression. Adrift is a clear example.

Predicting player movement an important aspect of Arena shooters ...

For people who think sprint is good for Halo, read this part in his original post. The ability to predict movement is a real skill required for Arena shooters, especially for grenades. If you expect a guy to break line of sight with you and enter a new line of sight, you can throw a grenade at that new line of sight at the exact moment the opponent enters it. But with sprint, the player could easily activate sprint when you can't see him and he'll likely dodge your grenade as well as any gunfire you have to offer (depending on the map).

Also think about Halo Reach's countdown. Say you're standing on your S3/Attic (towards the bubble) and looking through the door to balcony while holding the sniper rifle, because you are expecting someone to enter that line of sight. With regular movement, you'll be able to time your shot, assuming you are aiming somewhere in the middle. But with a guy sprinting, he'll just fly from one side of the door to the other, and you'll very likely not have a chance to pull the trigger.

You don't know whether people will be sprinting behind cover or not, which is partly why I agree to sprint dumbing down the game.

Sprint has to go in order for Halo to return. Halo either has to be made with sprint in mind or without there is no compromise that can be made. Halo or Spartan Warfare 343 you decide but the core fans will not be fooled in supporting the latter again.

Yep, for Halo to return.

As for making the game with sprint in mind, I think that in itself is an unwanted compromise. The only merit I could see with sprint is using it to get to key access points without making the map broken. Or else, a way to go about it is to build off of Murder Miners, where you sprint in order to make the ridiculous ledge -> wall jumps. Something like that maybe.

But right now, the only reason to ever get the new halo games is out of curiosity (of how the game plays) or keep up with the community (um..CoD).

Agreed wholeheartedly dude.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So you don't think that the events with sprint in Reach, (which were nothing compared to the one Reach event without sprint) failed because of sprint? If you did play NB with sprint in Reach, you would know how much of a difference it makes. You cannot argue that Halo has been on a decline since sprint was introduced.

sprint is not the same in halo 4 as it was in reach, because of stopping power players are punished more than they were in reach.

as I said before the majority of halo players accept sprint and the minority hates it, sure some players left halo 4 because of sprint but its likely a very small percentage and had a very small affect on the population overall.

exactly.

sprint is not the same in halo 4 as it was in reach, because of stopping power players are punished more than they were in reach.

as I said before the majority of halo players accept sprint and the minority hates it, sure some players left halo 4 because of sprint but its likely a very small percentage and had a very small affect on the population overall.

exactly.

Obviously, I said since sprint was introduced. Not in Halo 4. 

as I said before the majority of halo players accept sprint and the minority hates it

Do you have evidence to support this?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you have evidence to support this?

to clarify I said accept not prefer, I doubt the typical halo player really pays much mind to it to be honest, its just not something that is mentioned frequently among the halo community.

theres no evidence to support it but its kind of obvious at this point, in a way its a good thing because it means that if 343i were to remove sprint entirely their likely wouldn't be much backlash.