Sign in to follow this  
MetaNigh7

eSport vs. Competitive Gaming

Had a little discussion about these terms.

I'm more in favor of calling it "competitive gaming" as opposed to eSport.

Just doesn't seem right calling it eSports IMO

eSports sounds kinda lame. At first i liked it, now it just sounds like a nerdy joke. I prefer calling it professional gaming.

Whenever my friends who don't know about competitive gaming hear the term "eSports" they always think its called that because people want videogames to be real sports which them brings up the "Its not physical so why call it sports?". I've always called it eSports because of korea (KeSPA aka the Korean e-Sports Association) but I do prefer the terms Competitive or Professional Gaming.

Which ever name attracts more people is what will be used. So far Riot is using eSports, and people seem to give 0 fucks because that is growing nonstop.

Sports have differing degrees of physical activity for example golf and football or baseball and basketball. Gaming is closer to chess which is an Olympic sport.

So what's the difference between sports and games? Nothing. Call it what you want but there is nothing separating the two besides your own interpretation of what defines a sport.