Sign in to follow this  
Clipen

My 2 cents (Before I leave Halo for awhile)

Whatever happened to playing a game because you liked playing it?

Unless you're a Pro player yourself, who actually makes money by competing and winning tournaments, dont worry about "where the money's at." Just play what you want.

You're not "abandoning" Halo just because you want to play something else.

Whatever happened to playing a game because you liked playing it?

Unless you're a Pro player yourself, who actually makes money by competing and winning tournaments, dont worry about "where the money's at." Just play what you want.

You're not "abandoning" Halo just because you want to play something else.

Not only that, but if nobody wants to go through the rebuilding process then Halo will never be rebuilt. Obviously top pro players leaving matters more than the average player leaving to the community, I would wait and see what happens before jumping the gun and thinking CoD is the better choice when you have built your skill up in Halo already.

Let me just say that I do appreciate everything Gandhi has done for us and that I don't even think he realizes the power his words have sometimes. All I'm saying is people really need to start hearing the full story before forming opinions about things. 

This is such a big part that I don't think (not specifically him, but all known personalities) they understand. When you sit there 1-2 months before an event saying, "This is a joke we'll be lucky to have 1k viewers", what do you expect? Do you think that negative bashing will help increase the views? Gandhi's thoughts videos get 3k+ views on average within a week, how many of them do you think go, "well shit if Gandhi says its a shitty event why would i waste my time watching it, im so hip". Idk man I get where they're coming from but the ones without any corporate ties that think they have to be edgy to be edgy then act like they knew it was coming all along... do your best to promote an event/something/GC and AFTER if it bombs be as negative as you want. How tf do new people or even older names supposed to get motivated for something when it's getting shit on before it even happens.

/rant

i rambled sorry

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is such a big part that I don't think (not specifically him, but all known personalities) they understand. When you sit there 1-2 months before an event saying, "This is a joke we'll be lucky to have 1k viewers", what do you expect? Do you think that negative bashing will help increase the views? Gandhi's thoughts videos get 3k+ views on average within a week, how many of them do you think go, "well shit if Gandhi says its a shitty event why would i waste my time watching it, im so hip". Idk man I get where they're coming from but the ones without any corporate ties that think they have to be edgy to be edgy then act like they knew it was coming all along... do your best to promote an event/something/GC and AFTER if it bombs be as negative as you want. How tf do new people or even older names supposed to get motivated for something when it's getting shit on before it even happens.

/rant

i rambled sorry

I remember telling my casual friends that halo 4 MM would be like halo 3 and that they should get it on release, I feel like giving them there $60 back personally. Sometimes when something is going to be bad it is best to be waarned, You also have to look at the other side, when some big event is happening, Gandhi does say "be there", "buy your tickets" "get a spectator pass'" and also every gandhi's thoughts before a big event he tells people to go to the events.

I remember telling my casual friends that halo 4 MM would be like halo 3 and that they should get it on release, I feel like giving them there $60 back personally. Sometimes when something is going to be bad it is best to be waarned, You also have to look at the other side, when some big event is happening, Gandhi does say "be there", "buy your tickets" "get a spectator pass'" and also every gandhi's thoughts before a big event he tells people to go to the events.

Agreed, I like Gandhi's ability to not sugar coat anything. People who watch him are there for the truth and nothing else. He doesn't beat around the bush, he doesn't exaggerate things. 

Maybe he could do a better job as a caster for AGL by hyping up events and making the smaller ones seem more worthwhile to spectate/watch on Twitch but I think he'd lose some of his credibility if he were to falsely advertise something. 

This allows him to get people hyped for a big event or whatever, because if he says "it's gonna be big", you know it is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find console shooter competitive communities a joke honestly. They all rely on MLG and popularity instead of building itself up. Look at Gears. They all relied on MLG, it got dropped. Had two Hypefestations and that was that.

CoD literally built itself up to be this big. If Hastro and them dudes just gave up on the game, the devs wouldn't have put any work into esports support at all. You think if MLG dropped CoD and they stopped CoD XP that their competitive community would quit? Nope they'd be doing UMGs.

lol so much truth in the OP.  Why did it take Gandhi 63 videos to finally realize that CoD is where the money is at?  And why are players just now realizing this after he made this video?  Does he and the people follow him live under an FPS rock known as "Halo4."?  Anyways, whoever jumps ship won't make any money playing the game.  I don't believe there has been one successful player going from Halo to CoD.  And if Ogre2 can be pro in ShadowRun, HaloCE, Halo2, Halo3, Halo: Reach and Halo 4 and place Top48 in cod, it's not this easy transition Gandhi made it out to be.

The money has been at CoD ever since Halo was dropped from MLG. Don't know why some of the pros didn't make the change earlier.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My problem with Gandhi isn't that he speaks his mind (as brutal as it may be) but that he goes off without thinking sometimes. The only reason Gandhi Thoughts #63 was him trashing the game was because people were calling him 343andhi in the chat during the First Strike Episode the day before that. He got so ticked off.

• Downvote (-1) 1

My problem with Gandhi isn't that he speaks his mind (as brutal as it may be) but that he goes off without thinking sometimes. The only reason Gandhi Thoughts #63 was him trashing the game was because people were calling him 343andhi in the chat during the First Strike Episode the day before that. He got so ticked off.

that is most certainly not the reason he was saying that competitive black ops is much better than competitive halo 4.

So if the competitive halo scene moves to COD.

Then why should 343 cater to the competitive scene in halo 5.

What's your excuse?

What's the point of debating NO sprint when you jumping to a game that has sprint.

You can't just turn up to a COD event and expect to go pro. You think you can step to teams that been doing it years before you.

that is most certainly not the reason he was saying that competitive black ops is much better than competitive halo 4.

Not at all. But the reason he went off on Halo and what it has become was because of that. At least in my opinion. I mean it is the truth...and everyone knows it but he went from supporting Halo alot in all of his thoughts to pretty much just tearing the game apart, along with 343, in his most recent thoughts. I don't have a problem with it I'm just saying I think his emotions get ahold of what he says sometimes. But that's why we love him....or do we...

The money is actually in getting an education and a real job. You don't play video games as a career.

Unless your anyone in the top 4 of CoD...

Clipen, I haven't watched all of his thoughts or videos, or even most of them. However anytime I've seen him comment on Halo 4 he's always seemed to talk about issues or problems within the game. Rarely have I heard him excited or happy, and usually has bad things to say.

I think the reason he's praising cod and bashing halo has to do with a couple of factors. Overall, it's mainstream. It's got the viewers, the sponsors, the prize money, the tournaments, the backing from the developers, and is over all a more E-sports friendly game than Halo 4, regardless of game depth or skill gap.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unless your anyone in the top 4 of CoD...

A professional gaming career doesn't last more than a few years. After that, what? And even if you're in the top, there are other ways to make that much money. Professional gaming should be (and, in most cases for shooters, is) more of a hobby than a profession.

lol so much truth in the OP.  Why did it take Gandhi 63 videos to finally realize that CoD is where the money is at?  And why are players just now realizing this after he made this video?  Does he and the people follow him live under an FPS rock known as "Halo4."?  Anyways, whoever jumps ship won't make any money playing the game.  I don't believe there has been one successful player going from Halo to CoD.  And if Ogre2 can be pro in ShadowRun, HaloCE, Halo2, Halo3, Halo: Reach and Halo 4 and place Top48 in cod, it's not this easy transition Gandhi made it out to be.

What did the best pro CoD players that tried to play in the MLG Dallas pre-release event for Halo 4 get like top 64? Nade-shot on Optic was a AM player in Halo 2 I guess Halo was too tough for him so he switched to CoD right?

Ogre 2 placed top 24 at age 27(forgot exactly how old he is) at CoD XP with 1/1000th of the experience and practice that other pro CoD teams had teaming with guys that were pro at other games,  you could not do that at a MLG Halo event that is why so many people are thinking about switching over the games skill cap is not high and annual releases are a joke.

The money is actually in getting an education and a real job. You don't play video games as a career.

You don't win money from tournaments as a career. It's possible to make a career out of playing games though - Youtube, Twitch, and games which had or currently have huge populations like League of Legends have proved that.

The money is in marketing yourself into a good broadcasting personality like Day 9. The trick is to look into making money from the broader eSports scene rather than just the tournament scene of your chosen game.

What did the best pro CoD players that tried to play in the MLG Dallas pre-release event for Halo 4 get like top 64? Nade-shot on Optic was a AM player in Halo 2 I guess Halo was too tough for him so he switched to CoD right?

Ogre 2 placed top 24 at age 27(forgot exactly how old he is) at CoD XP with 1/1000th of the experience and practice that other pro CoD teams had teaming with guys that were pro at other games,  you could not do that at a MLG Halo event that is why so many people are thinking about switching over the games skill cap is not high and annual releases are a joke.

Okay, NadeShot got Top64ish at that event with having like a couple of weeks of Halo experience in Halo: Reach.  Yes, he did play the other halos, but as of the past few years before Halo4 Dallas, he only played a tiny bit of Reach.  He still had to win multiple rounds to get the placing he got.  Ogre2, I believe only won a single match to get that placing.  So saying Top24 like it's impressive is rather ridiculous.  Also, he didn't team with Halo players and he did have quite a bit of practice actually.  You had to play a ton in order to qualify for CoD Champs via LeaguePlay.  He also attended MLG Dallas, so he had both plenty of online and LAN experience.  Not to mention, he got into scrims with very good teams and played with pro CoD players that normal competitors wouldn't get the opportunity to do.

Also, Crimsix placed Pro every single event he attended for Halo, and was a Cod Pro before that.

Competitive call of duty is not easy at all to pick up competitively.  shooting might be a bit easier than Halo, but it has a ton of strategy and teamwork that come into play.

Hey guys,

I've been playing Halo competitively since Halo 3...man did I love that game. I have been apart of the community since around 08 and watched as it grew and then shrunk within a few years.

I am writing this because I wanted to talk about a few things.

It is scary to me that with a snap of his fingers (or the opening of his mouth in reality) that Gandhi can pretty much sway the majority of the community towards an opinion in seconds. Does anyone remember when there was a miscommunication with Brad at one of the earliest AGL's and he almost singlehandedly ended the events? People were literally going to boycott AGL just because of accusations that Gandhi gave (without ever even speaking to Brad about it). The same thing recently happened when T2 called out Giggle for the sign out glitch. No one even gave Giggle a chance to speak his side yet everyone was ready to jump the gun and talk shit to him. Oh ya and isn't he the guy putting thousands of his own dollars into our dying community and game? So many people need to stop being fucking minions that just D ride known people in the community and agree with everything they say. 

Let me just say that I do appreciate everything Gandhi has done for us and that I don't even think he realizes the power his words have sometimes. All I'm saying is people really need to start hearing the full story before forming opinions about things. 

So true. There is a certain herd mentality that annoys the f out of me as well. Make up your own damn mind. I do think that the competitive community has very similar opinions on many matters. However, different ones should be respected and even desireable as they further the discussion.