LeandroTrooper

What if 343i pulled a Bungie?

Competitive is tiny in every game look at Cod 1% in league play rest in pubs 

But the competitive players where once casuals so they under stand the whole game

Very true, comp community being small is no excuse not to support it. 

Ranked in H3 and H2 when it wasn't being bombed by cheaters had upwards of 100k+(H3 for sure could be more) so its not like the general Halo MP player does not want to test their skills and play competitively. Halo at its core is an Arena-style shooter, skill-based combat is at the heart of the game there is no denying the comp roots of the game.

The competitive halo community is tiny.

We still know what the game needs more than the casuals regardless of numbers.

Well we have to consider most of 343's dev's had never made a game before together let alone a Halo game. They also had some trouble getting the studio up and running and meeting dead-lines, I think the game was good enough campaign wise it was a nice change of setting its just the MP was pretty underwhelming and was really still in beta phase at launch IMO.

halo 4's SP was the second worst in the franchise (worst being halo 2) so I don't understand why people keep saying good things about it.

I'm in the same boat. If Halo 5 doesn't look good pre launch, I won't be buying it nor will I be buying the Xbox One at all.

It is, however; A competitive game can be played casually but a casual game cannot be played competitively.

COD.

OP: doubt it.

This is so fucking wrong, it's not even funny. CoD is actually an incredibly well balanced game that features a very large number of weapons that are all extremely balanced with one another. It also features loadout systems that, while they have changed from title to title, allow for a really customized but balanced experience. That's to say nothing of kill streaks and their point cost to strength ratio.

Call of Duty is easily one of the most competitive game franchises ever made. The actual gameplay itself is what makes the game easy. It's like the tic-tac-toe of competitive gaming. It's incredibly easy to pick up and understand, and even the skill gap between weapons is minimal. It is, however, perfectly balanced. Thus, it's designed as a competitive game that just happens to be easily accessible.

Halo was the opposite. It was originally a very balanced game (same starting weapon, power weapons on different times based on their power/skill requirement) but has now been turned into the trophy game of the trophy generation (see: personal ordnance). The problem is that Halo, at one point in time, had an incredibly high skill gap. If you wanted to do well in Halo, it took TONS of practice and a natural talent. That's too much to ask of some people. So rather than make Halo more accessible, they lowered the skill gap. There's a difference.

An accurate and working ranking system would have made the game more accessible because bad players wouldn't have to worry about getting "pub stomped". Halo 3 had a nice "Combat Training" playlist that would have been great if it had been expanded. An official YouTube channel or any videos that featured "Map Spotlights", like LoL's "Champion Spotlight", would have been fucking amazing, especially with the built in Waypoint App.

Instead, they added sprint. They developed personal ordnance and took weapons off the map. They added loadouts and jet packs off spawn. Rather than actually make Halo easier to get into and understand, they tried to turn it into something else. Rather than give people the tools needed to understand the game better, to be better at it, they just fucking made the game stupid.

Point being that a game that is designed to be 100% casual cannot be competitive. Call of Duty was designed to have a COMPETITIVE multiplayer. Halo 4 was designed to... apparently do something, but I'm not sure what that is. I'm assuming "cripple the Xbox flagship franchise"?

Thanks for taking care of that. I was gonna say the exact same thing. ;)

It is, however; A competitive game can be played casually but a casual game cannot be played competitively. 

Hate to be a grammarnazi but you should switch the semi-colon and the comma in this sentence.  I had a hard time reading it at first  :lol:

Hate to be a grammarnazi but you should switch the semi-colon and the comma in this sentence.  I had a hard time reading it at first  :lol:

Ah, yeah. Thank you.

Point being that a game that is designed to be 100% casual cannot be competitive. Call of Duty was designed to have a COMPETITIVE multiplayer. Halo 4 was designed to... apparently do something, but I'm not sure what that is. I'm assuming "cripple the Xbox flagship franchise"?

Halo 4 MP was designed to bring in the MMS audience and make for a more accessible game, its basically the MMS formula poorly applied to Halo.

Halo went from Arena-Sandbox Sci-fi shooter(H1-H3) to basically Spartan Warfare(HR-H4) as I like to call it. A tragedy really to anyone who played the trilogy and loved Halo MP.

It is; however, A competitive game can be played casually but a casual game cannot be played competitively. 

CoD is a casual game that can be played competitively though?

CoD is a casual game that can be played competitively though?

Scroll up and read Katastrophe's post. He explains it very well.

Scroll up and read Katastrophe's post. He explains it very well.

ohhh yeah sorry, was quite a long topic, didn't read everything :) 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think this makes kinda sense. They dived into Halo not having a clue and now they have some. And I agree Halo 4 feels kinda like a beta haha.

If they fire the incompetent ones and hire those who know what is in the interest of the Halo player, Halo 5 should be the first great Halo again since Halo 2.

This is so fucking wrong, it's not even funny. CoD is actually an incredibly well balanced game that features a very large number of weapons that are all extremely balanced with one another. It also features loadout systems that, while they have changed from title to title, allow for a really customized but balanced experience. That's to say nothing of kill streaks and their point cost to strength ratio.

Call of Duty is easily one of the most competitive game franchises ever made. The actual gameplay itself is what makes the game easy. It's like the tic-tac-toe of competitive gaming. It's incredibly easy to pick up and understand, and even the skill gap between weapons is minimal. It is, however, perfectly balanced. Thus, it's designed as a competitive game that just happens to be easily accessible.

Halo was the opposite. It was originally a very balanced game (same starting weapon, power weapons on different times based on their power/skill requirement) but has now been turned into the trophy game of the trophy generation (see: personal ordnance). The problem is that Halo, at one point in time, had an incredibly high skill gap. If you wanted to do well in Halo, it took TONS of practice and a natural talent. That's too much to ask of some people. So rather than make Halo more accessible, they lowered the skill gap. There's a difference.

An accurate and working ranking system would have made the game more accessible because bad players wouldn't have to worry about getting "pub stomped". Halo 3 had a nice "Combat Training" playlist that would have been great if it had been expanded. An official YouTube channel or any videos that featured "Map Spotlights", like LoL's "Champion Spotlight", would have been fucking amazing, especially with the built in Waypoint App.

Instead, they added sprint. They developed personal ordnance and took weapons off the map. They added loadouts and jet packs off spawn. Rather than actually make Halo easier to get into and understand, they tried to turn it into something else. Rather than give people the tools needed to understand the game better, to be better at it, they just fucking made the game stupid.

So well said.

Cod was one of the most competitive games. Now? Hell no. Stop gassing.

I'm not saying the game is a great competitive title - I personally think its dull and easy as shit. I am saying, however, that its balanced REALLY well and that in itself makes it a very competitive game.

Think checkers vs chess. Both games are perfectly balanced, take a certain degree of skill, and have a noticeable skill gap. However, checkers is much easier to understand and get in to from the start. But if you were to be given say, a chart that listed every chess piece and how it can move to keep by your side... would they not arguably be just as easy to understand from the start?

My overall point is that CoD is like checkers, and Halo was like chess. Both took skill, were balanced, but one is much easier to get into and thus, more successful and viewed as more casual. 343 Industries should have made Halo (chess) easier to understand by creating tools (content, universal mechanics, etc) for the community to use. Instead, they chose to dumb the game down by making it require less skill. For example, rather than explain how the Knight moves, they decided its L path was too complicated so they just made it move 3 spaces in a single direction.

• Upvote (+1) 1