Faeyrin

Changing how grenades work.

Grenades are an integral part of the golden triangle and have remained generally the same throughout Halo. The only change being new grenade types and varying strengths and arcs at which they're thrown. (speaking of which, damn why can't they keep the arc and throw strength the same through every game?)

Other parts of the golden triangle have been altered through the years. Melee has had lunge added, weapons dedicated to melee. And shooting obviously has new guns every game. Grenades haven't seen such new things added though. All that's ever been changed were three new grenade types added to the fray, two of which aren't even in the latest game. 

So why not add a little flair? Modernize the mechanic a little, without changing how it's always been.

I think it'd be neat if when the grenade button is HELD down, you would be able to hold the grenade and a visual indicator like a line would show where it would land. While you were doing this you would not be able to sprint, but you could be able to shoot. Now, with only one hand on your gun, and for balancing purposes, you'd logically have a harder time shooting. Your gun would have a recoil akin to something like x3 of the current BR recoil per burst. Of course it'd vary from gun to gun but that'd be the general idea. 

With this being so, it could offer some interesting new combat strategy. Pumping two BR bursts into someone while having a pulse grenade lined up to hit their feet or any sort of weapon+held grenade strategy that could be used. Maybe someone would want to hit an unscoped body shot with the sniper and throw down a pulse grenade. Granted, these strategies would no more effective, maybe even less effective, than pairing a weapon damage with a normally thrown grenade, because of recoil. If someone tries the last strategy, they may get the body shot but their sniper would recoil up pretty wildly, preventing them from immediately looking down to drop the pulse grenade.

Or such tricky combinations could be ignored for the real sake of held grenade throwing, being able to more accurately know where your grenade will land (at the cost of forsaking the speed of normal throwing).

Now, these strategies and type of grenade throwing can be completely foregone by just tapping the grenade button, just like how tapping the melee button doesn't cause an assassination, tapping the grenade button won't cause the alternative throw style to happen. 

Of course, just like how assassinations can often be triggered by accident when not wanted, the same could happen with the new type of grenade throwing. This would be an obvious con.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I can't say I agree with your visual indicator at all. Learning to throw grenades skillfully is an integral part of the game, too far/too short and you could die. An indicator would make lobbing nades too easy into holes an enemy is trying to save shields in, and places too much power in the hands of the aggressor. Granted it can be used defensively, but things like hail marys would happen far more frequently. Imagine big team battle with this feature, vehicles would become more of a death trap than they already are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the idea of something happening when you hold it, but not the fact of the visual indicator. Like the above post said, it'll make lobbing nades into a tight area so much easier.

I like the idea of something happening when you hold it, but not the fact of the visual indicator. Like the above post said, it'll make lobbing nades into a tight area so much easier.

The whole idea is to provide an alternate method that has a pro and a con. This pro being it easier to lob grenades into tight areas. The con, however, is in the pro itself. While you're focused on the visual indicator line, you're probably going to be distracted with that and be an easy kill. Get caught off guard while lining up a grenade and you're dead. 

1. Learning to throw grenades skillfully is an integral part of the game.

2. An indicator would make lobbing nades too easy into holes an enemy is trying to save shields in, and places too much power in the hands of the aggressor.

3.Things like hail marys would happen far more frequently. Imagine big team battle with this feature, vehicles would become more of a death trap than they already are.

1. It is and it can still be. Like I said, the alternate throwing method can be foregone by those who wish to ignore it. That normal method's mechanics would be unchanged, and a truly skillful player can do what another user can using the different method, with the first method.

2. See my response to the other quote.

3. I'm pretty sure a vehicle can drive out of the way of a hail mary before it comes down on them. Even with an aide for throwing, the window of opportunity to evade a hail mary, especially if you see it coming and are in a vehicle, is very big. You'd have to be pretty bad to not evade it if you see it coming. 

This would only drag things down further honestly, the Grenade's are meant to be a stable component of Halo's DNA and changing them so much would make things worse off for us.

This would only drag things down further honestly, the Grenade's are meant to be a stable component of Halo's DNA and changing them so much would make things worse off for us.

I don't get how it'd exactly slow anything down. Better players can effectively do what worse players can with the traditional and quicker grenade toss, even if the worse players use the alternative method. It's completely compulsory on the player's part should they choose to slow down their game with the alternative method, and if they so choose to do that, they'll be a sitting duck. 

Its a cool idea, but I personally dont think it belongs in Halo

With these strategies:

Pumping two BR bursts into someone while having a pulse grenade lined up to hit their feet or any sort of weapon+held grenade strategy that could be used. Maybe someone would want to hit an unscoped body shot with the sniper and throw down a pulse grenade. Granted, these strategies would no more effective, maybe even less effective, than pairing a weapon damage with a normally thrown grenade, because of recoil. If someone tries the last strategy, they may get the body shot but their sniper would recoil up pretty wildly, preventing them from immediately looking down to drop the pulse grenade.

Having to stop shooting (accurately atleast) and taking however many seconds to take to line your nade up would just put yourself at a huge disadvantage. And the enemy would have time to put more accurate shots into you and also know you are setting up a nade and will most likely dodge it. Or by the time the nade gets there, you will have already moved out of the way. I just see it as a big disadvantage. 80% of the time though, the nades youre throwing arent insane places that would need an indicator for. Those are my thoughts

Eh, maybe a special type of grenade could have some sort of projection, but any of the current grenades, no. Throwing good nades is a skill, its not like its easy to throw perfect nades, and it should be hard to throw a nade where you want it.

If you want to make grenades more interesting create a weapon which uses them as a power source, eg: a Promethean weapon which can be loaded with up to 4 Pulse Grenades. The weapon's properties could change for as many shots as there are grenades loaded into it. You spend those grenades to activate a secondary firing mode for the given weapon. In this case each grenade's energy could be compressed into a bolt of light, allowing for a few explosive rounds to be fired (or perhaps convert each Pulse grenade into two shots - just the two explosions from the grenade, the area denial effect could be removed and the overall AoE of these explosions reduced).

I can't think of something to utilise Frag Grenades this way (nor do I think it would be necessary, keep things simple with Frags and encourage them to be the basic, utilitarian grenade), but Plasmas would be dead easy - allow the Covenant weapon which loads Plasma Grenades to function like the Plasma Launcher from Reach when it's loaded, firing anywhere between 1 and 4 locked on Plasma Grenades at a target.

Just some random brainstorming for no particular reason.

Nah.  Maybe it would increase throw distance, but even that probably wouldn't work.  They should stick to trying to improve the Pulse Grenade - maybe it could be more like the Plasma, but it would instantly remove shields on direct contact and do no extra damage.  Just get nade loadout choices out of MM.

Bring back Super Nade Throws. That shit was awesome at H4's launch but ofc 343 had to patch it.

Actually brought in a bit of a skillgap. :(