Sign in to follow this  
Promethean Zz

Does 343i know what they did wrong?

With all that's going against Halo this past year it's becoming more apparent that Halo 5 really has to be a brilliant competitive arena shooter.

The question is; Does the majority of 343i know that most of their 'innovative' new ideas were plain awful? Can I trust them not to make the same mistakes they made with Halo 4?

If anyone has any statements of Josh or Frankie saying they're happy with the game I'll know Halo 5 will suck

• Upvote (+1) 6

I most certainly hope so.

There was a thread in the gaming subreddit a few weeks back, and it had a ton of posts with a ton of upvotes from gamers who were saying how disappointed they were with Reach/4 and how much they miss CE/2/3.

I think 343 (at least initially) and developers of other FPS games have this idea that casual players love things like sprint, ordinance, so on and so forth when in reality they don't.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am pretty sure they know what we want by now. With the 400k population drop from day one to now, and all the first strike vids, gandhis thoughts, and saucey rants out there, im pretty sure they know what the people want.

I most certainly hope so.

There was a thread in the gaming subreddit a few weeks back, and it had a ton of posts with a ton of upvotes from gamers who were saying how disappointed they were with Reach/4 and how much they miss CE/2/3.

I think 343 (at least initially) and developers of other FPS games have this idea that casual players focus groups love things like sprint, ordinance, so on and so forth when in reality they don't.

One thing's for sure they HAVE to know that Spartan Ops failed considering that pre-launch they were talking about having multiple seasons and that after the first season you would have to pay for the next ones, and they have had only one season that many people disliked and thought was extremely repetitive. 

Also if they haven't heard us for about spectator experience and in game ranks then they must be hiding under a rock. It's not even only the competitive community that wants in game ranks either many of my casual friends and comments on youtube channels like HaloFollower have said they want in game ranks. 

Personally this is what I believe in terms of Halo as a whole;

Bungie botched Halo on purpose with Halo: Reach. This may or may not make sense to any one but I honestly don't give a fuck.

Everyones perception of "Golden Era" of Halo takes place between Halos 1 through 3. You can all argue over which one you think is the best, but the fact of the matter is when YOU think of Halo, that 10, 11, 12 year old YOU automatically brings up 1 of those 3. Personally, Halo was the first game on console that was arena based and made it work. Yes Goldeneye 64, yada yada, but no. They didn't have XBL or even the equivalent of an XBConnect variation which is more technical, yada yada.

So I look at it this way. Bungie memorialized Halo. They made sure no one could make Halo better than the makers of Halo. I don't even think of 343i when I think of Halo, I think of Bungie and Halo CE, 2 and 3. Anything after isn't Halo but a mere ugly ass cousin that should have never been known to the world.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bungie botched Halo on purpose with Halo: Reach. This may or may not make sense to any one but I honestly don't give a fuck.

While that's a good theory, and I myself have thought of it that way, too, I think what really happened was they just used Reach as a test version for their upcoming franchise (Destiny) to see how people reacted to Reach and its mechanics. It's very clever really, they can get feedback on certain elements and improve on them in a new franchise without losing too much credibility and sales.

People still bought Reach because it had Halo on the cover, (think Reach sold about 9 million copies?) and people who were thinking of buying Destiny wouldn't be sceptical about it being as bad as Reach because it was a new franchise completely.

At least that's how I see it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

While that's a good theory, and I myself have thought of it that way, too, I think what really happened was they just used Reach as a test version for their upcoming franchise (Destiny) to see how people reacted to Reach and its mechanics. It's very clever really, they can get feedback on certain elements and improve on them in a new franchise without losing too much credibility and sales.

People still bought Reach because it had Halo on the cover, (think Reach sold about 9 million copies?) and people who were thinking of buying Destiny wouldn't be sceptical about it being as bad as Reach because it was a new franchise completely.

At least that's how I see it. 

Could be either way

Could be either way

Yeah, I know. Just seems a bit unprofessional of Bungie if they were to purposely make a crap game.

343 "We should of had action sack at launch" Quin "Ya that would of kept everyone"

:kappa:

I am pretty sure they know what we want by now. With the 400k population drop from day one to now, and all the first strike vids, gandhis thoughts, and saucey rants out there, im pretty sure they know what the people want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2lQ4ZUqFs

"I think you guys have seen enough comments wishing the Arbiter, that is our number one thing."

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm willing to bet my testicles that they don't.

I'm not even joking around to be honest, I am CONVINCED that they only have a limited perception of what a good game is; let alone a true Halo game.

"I think you guys have seen enough comments wishing the Arbiter, that is our number one thing."

Halo...bomb ass campaign....25k population..

Campaign in any gave i've ever played hasn't kept my attention for at least a week or so..Or until I beat it on the hardest difficulty..

If you look at any eSports title or game, the competitive scene is the only thing that keeps the general population around..You dont see League of Legends LORE NIGHTS on twitch.tv do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2lQ4ZUqFs

Arbiter was boss for realz, thoroughly enjoyed playing from his POV in H2. Its kind of stupid to hate on an obvious Campaign guy for his number one thing being a character to return for the campaign. 

Just like I bet if a hardcore Halo lore fan saw our number one request "Comp ranking system" or "Spectator mode" he could probably  could give a fuck about we want.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Arbiter was boss for realz, thoroughly enjoyed playing from his POV in H2. Its kind of stupid to hate on an obvious Campaign guy for his number one thing being a character to return for the campaign. 

Just like I bet if a hardcore Halo lore fan saw our number one request "Comp ranking system" or "Spectator mode" he could probably  could give a fuck about we want.

Interesting thing is, comp ranking system actually benefits both parties. Having the Arbiter back in the Halo story only benefits the Campaign guys.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Everyone needs to remember that Microsoft is the publisher. I dont know if this has been proven/confirmed or not, but Microsoft could have been 75% in control of what they wanted, and 343 had to deliver that, and then 343 had the remaining 25% to do whatever. Or 50/50 or some other fraction. With the way the game turned out, and its blatant attempt to pull in the CoD audience, I would not be the least bit surprised if Microsoft had more control over the game than 343 did.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You CAN NOT turn Halo into COD. All these little additions and what not to make HALO more COD like is back firing big time. If kids want to play COD.... they are going to play COD, not Halo 4 (hints the drop off in population) They have to understand that trying to do things that have been done before in other video games will ALWAYS set you back because you will ALWAYS be playing catch up. Keep it simple stupid. I'm all for trying new things, I think you do have to change the game to keep people interested, but for god's sake, Rank it, let us spectate it, and give us the option to turn gimmicky crap on or off for competitive play. 

Spartan Ops.... my gawd. Take that time and effort and use it for something useful..... like good maps out of the box. Did I mention spectator mode?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spartan Ops.... my gawd. Take that time and effort and use it for something useful..... like good maps out of the box.

Imagine if every map created for Spartan Ops had been scrapped and replaced with a multiplayer map. It would have been so much better--PvP multiplayer has infinitely more replayability than a Campaign-like series.

Honestly, Spartan Ops would have entertained me just as much if it had only been the CG cutscenes.

Imagine if every map created for Spartan Ops had been scrapped and replaced with a multiplayer map. It would have been so much better--PvP multiplayer has infinitely more replayability than a Campaign-like series.

Honestly, Spartan Ops would have entertained me just as much if it had only been the CG cutscenes.

That's what I meant...

You CAN NOT turn Halo into COD. All these little additions and what not to make HALO more COD like is back firing big time. If kids want to play COD.... they are going to play COD, not Halo 4 (hints the drop off in population) They have to understand that trying to do things that have been done before in other video games will ALWAYS set you back because you will ALWAYS be playing catch up. Keep it simple stupid. I'm all for trying new things, I think you do have to change the game to keep people interested, but for god's sake, Rank it, let us spectate it, and give us the option to turn gimmicky crap on or off for competitive play. 

Spartan Ops.... my gawd. Take that time and effort and use it for something useful..... like good maps out of the box. Did I mention spectator mode?

If you're going to make Halo like CoD, at least copy their best features like spectator mode and ranks lol. Not dumb ass sprint and flinch and riot shields.

I swear to god if they dont distance themselves as far from Reach+H4 as possible and improve the MM/features with H5 the series is done. 343 needs to know by now Halo 4 MP was as big of a fail as Quake 4 was MP-wise the game did not hit the intended fan-base nor did it bring in CoD fans or whatever they were trying to do.

Halo 5 needs to be the quintessential Halo game where 343 finds their identity as a Halo developer and the core fan-base loves it from day 1 and they nostalgia about it years after like we do with H1-H3 or it will be a repeat of H4 MP only worse.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I will say it again..

GOD stuck with what works for them and listened to their fan base = success

343 did not = failure

They will have one more chance, but honestly I have been more and more beaten and let down since H3, at this point if H5 fails to deliver the classic Halo experience with dev support, competitive maps, etc - I AM GONE.

I dont give a crap about my BR having weapon skins, or stupid care packages and riot shields or sprint.

Just give me back Halo and I will be back. 

It's a horribly subjective to say what is 'right' and 'wrong' with the franchise - Spin's link sums it up perfectly.

I would say 343i now has a clear understanding of what our community wants and what our prioritize are. It's hard to say whether they will invest resources into said features / changes going into the next game.