Sign in to follow this  
Rmb

Where did the money go?

by SamRambles (of The Halo Council Staff)

Congratulations on the new site guys.

Before I begin, please bear in mind this does not in any way have any affiliation with THC or other competing Halo websites. I am writing this personally and my views bears no reflection of the views held by anyone else.

A few months ago you successfully raised $2030 from the Halo community for your site and forum launch via Indiegogo.

23x3OXO.png

GAMINGZONE

Now, given that the site is based off an existing wordpress template from the site Magazine3:

4edqqXg.png

and judging by the css architecture I can safely presume you originally purchased the GamingZone theme - that brings up a single start-up cost of $49.

YYtked5.png

It is a relatively nifty magazine template, that is fully responsive and with cross-browser support. For reasons unknown to me - you have edited the front page design quite fundamentally to the established 3 article width page layout.

Whilst it still looks great and I commend you for it, sadly it means that the site has lost it's responsiveness - something not reflected in the HTML and CSS that this was based on.

K6PZE1S.png

UBERMENU

This Wordpress plugin for the site is a very handy tool indeed, which costs $16 to implement. Fully responsive too.

DbutTDs.png

HYtviBo.png

EVENTS

I like this feature and it's a shame that the one on THC has faltered over the past few months. The plug in used for this is by an author called Timely and as an 'All In One Calendar' the fact that it is free to use and implement is a great bonus.

2xjeNB2.png

FORUMS

The stock IPS community package comes in at $175, with hosting services ranging from about $20 per month for a standard set up.

pzVtRFI.png

YTEXi89.png

Coupled with some nice additional plugins on the side they look great, but evidently with the built-in theme editor you have decided to take the minimal route of editing the forums' look to match the site design.

Everything here is the stock package, including the original blue gradients.

VOD

This is a fantastic idea and well implemented, but apart from time and research, what were the overhead costs for this implementation?

RANKS

This is an excellent feature and the partnership with QuickCSR is a very good thing indeed.

Overall, excluding other costs that I am sure I have missed out, I come to a total start-up cost of $260, With a monthly rolling cost of an estimated $20.

With the original money raised standing at $2030 (not including supplemental earnings through your Youtube channel), please may I ask what you have done with the remaining $1770?

I'm certain it has all been pumped successfully into this site, but would hate to think that the generosity of others in the Halo community has been used for personal gain in any way.

I would also like to ask why some functionality of the site, such as responsive design has been disregarded in favour of a more structured approach - given that the original theme purchased had this inbuilt?
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Hey Rambles, Let me start off by saying thank you for registering - and I do appreciate all of the questions you are posing.  We planned on addressing the money in its own thread but I will go ahead and do it here, Since im sure you and all of the Staff at THC are very interested. 

#1 We did not receive the full 2,030 dollars - As you can imagine Indiegogo takes out a percentage because well.. they are a company.

We got around $1,900.

Now as far as the "Magazine" template goes - That was used in the early development of our website (but later scrapped) by a Coder who was friends with one of the staff members here at Beyond  ( not going to name names ) Who we shortly let go after it was clear he had no idea what he was doing as far as site design was concerned.  However we did gain some valuable knowledge from him as far as plugins and useful things that could be implemented on the website.  However he required to be paid up front - His price for the project was $750 - We paid him 300, saw some progress then paid him 300 more totaling in 600 dollars.  It then became clear like I stated before he was unable to complete the project - and we are in the process of getting some of that money back and he is being pleasant about it.

This was a screen shot of what our old site guy came up with using the Magazine3 Theme.  Not pretty, You will notice our site looks completely different now.

fxDm7ym.png

$1,900 - 600 = 1,300

Wordpress like you said is - 175 = $1,125

Calendar was free :)

Since we let our first website guy go we had to find another one - He designed the Front page, Stream center, Articles, Archives, Static pages you name it from the ground up abandoning the Magazine "theme".  The new web guy gave us a quote for 400 dollars which we paid + an additional 200 to make our site Mobile friendly (he is working on this now)  and for the extra hours he had to put in. To the website.

1,125 - 600 = $525

Misc - Forum skins, and plugins - 100

Paid Reverb aka Rob for his work on the Ranks page. $100

Paid Royal a partial payment for his amazing GFX work you see all over this site. $50

Leaves Beyond with about $268 (would be 275 but random paypal fees etc) left over which we are saving for any site related expenses that may come up.

0ee8b0f133a99b7a465248a54534a54e.png

• Upvote (+1) 7

Why did it say they were banned a second ago? O.o

They let us be mods for 15 minutes chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f

33685562.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4

Oh man, paying a guy 600 dollars, only to have him unable to complete the job. I hope you guys can get that money back.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think this question is wrong.

The question should be: How is this site is going  to be funded to be able to pay for recurring expenses. The more internet traffic the more that it cost.

And we need to remember that all the staff has probably used a lot of their free hours to organize, create and implement this web site and all the videos, streaming etc.

US is a free enterprise system. When you give a donation you are taking a risk that the idea will not be implemented, but you do it because you want to help. I don't care about how my donation was expended, what I care is to see the great result that it came from it.

This is not a public traded company that has to have its financial books open. This is a private enterprise that has the right to keep its financial info private. 

As a original donor I could feel entitled to this info, but I don't care about knowing it, I'm just really happy the my little contribution helped this great halo web site.

• Upvote (+1) 7

33685562.jpg

hahaha it happens :P

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Oh man, paying a guy 600 dollars, only to have him unable to complete the job. I hope you guys can get that money back.

We will get a portion back hopefully, I dont imagine we will get the full 600 back unfortunately. 

I'm going to delete this post since it's a pointless post, just spam, etc. Nothing personal.

I'm going to delete this post since it's a pointless post, just spam, etc. Nothing personal.

No problem! :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

and that is how you respond to financial issues. with clarity and honesty.

No shady stuff and perm banning members who question where the money went

• Upvote (+1) 4

and that is how you respond to financial issues. with clarity and honesty.

No shady stuff and perm banning members who question where the money went

Well they did ban him, but those issues were rectified. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Wow, that original template/site that guy made is AWFUL!

Yes, yes it was.

let's not go there. you will only embarrass yourself.

as far as I can tell the OP's question has been answered in full and fairly.

this thread has no other purpose. any other questions could be asked in support and suggestions section

• Upvote (+1) 3

I banned Sam.  It was entirely my fault,  I didn't read much of his post and jumped the gun on closing the thread and stopping his account from posting more assuming it was just another account made to attack this website.  He's since been unbanned and everything cleared up.