Sign in to follow this  
Scarecrow

Kinect-less bundle for $400?

MS don't have the balls to try something like that again, at least not in the near future, I actually expect to be the ones to push it next time.

Um... expect Sony? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

MS don't have the balls to try something like that again, at least not in the near future, I actually expect sony to be the ones to push it next time.

Anything could happen between now and next-next gen. Console lifespans are usually quite long so a lot of stuff could happen in that time period.

Anything could happen between now and next-next gen. Console lifespans are usually quite long so a lot of stuff could happen in that time period.

I'm not saying it won't happen I'm just saying it'll be awhile before you see DRM, MS/sony/nintendo are probably a little too frightened to try something like that again, at least right now.

I'm not saying it won't happen I'm just saying it'll be awhile before you see DRM, MS/sony/nintendo are probably a little too frightened to try something like that again, at least right now.

Yeah, agreed.

As mentioned before, Kinect integration in a game can help with things and improve the game without affecting gameplay. Spoken theater controls, player stat look ups, and other voice integration could be useful.

Cause using your thumbs is such a hassle.

DRM wasn't just about that family sharing plan for me. I was excited about it purely because I figured it would fuck over a lot of modding and piracy. But, I always have access to the internet except when power goes out completely so it didn't worry me. However much the cloud computing could actually handle is yet to be seen, but developers could potentially use less of it knowing that not everyone will be able to take advantage of it. Who knows what developers and Microsoft may or may not have been planning for the future based around DRM.

It also fucks over you're righ to do with what you own. You have the absolute right to sell your games. No ones gonna want to buy a game off you if they can't play it. I think our rights is just as important, how ever others thinks it's okay to give up their rights. DRM is bullshit and was never necessary.

Family share plan could still work(i don't care what Blue Jay says). If they were willing to do it already with physical copies and digital they could easily cut it in half and make it for just digital copies and limit it up to 5 people. Not only is it cutting the mount of people you can share it in half, but it also prevents people sharing physical copies with the family share plan making them pay for the digital copy which they make more money off of.

I also think that using the argument "well now that there's no DRM the developers won't know if they're absolutely using the intnernet so they won't use the cloud system" to be a weak argument. There's still online MP and they don't know if everyone will be using that so it's no different. Plus Ubisoft already said they are using the cloud system for Watch_Dogs and i'm sure Microsoft will be pushing all their first party games to use it. So you'll still see it being used without DRM.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It also fucks over you're righ to do with what you own. You have the absolutel right to sell your games. No ones gonna want to buy a game off you if they can't play it. I think our rights is just as important, how ever others thinks it's okay to give up their rights. DRM is bullshit and was never necessary.

Family share plan could still work(i don't care what Blue Jay says). If they were willing to do it already with physical copies and digital they could easily cut it in half and make it for just digital copies and limit it up to 5 people. Not only is it cutting the mount of people you can share it in half, but it also prevents people sharing physical copies with the family share plan making them pay for the digital copy which they make more money off of.

I also think that using the argument "well now that there's no DRM the developers won't know if they're absolutely using the intnernet so they won't use the cloud system" to be a weak argument. There's still online MP and they don't know if everyone will be using that so it's no different. Plus Ubisoft already said they are using the cloud system for Watch_Dogs and i'm sure Microsoft will be pushing all their first party games to use it. So you'll still see it being used without DRM.

Exactly.   DRM is not a requirement for these features- they just tried to bundle it that way because it suits their corporate interests to remove buyer's ownership.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would you rather painstakingly type in a name for your theater clip or just say it? Or how about changing custom games settings right from the lobby (assuming you are leader): "Change respawn time to 9 seconds" or "Increase movement speed to 130 percent" instead of having to drill down into the menus. Or how about being in a lobby and asking "What is Heathen 117s most used weapon".

There are plenty of opportunities for voice control that could work.

Would you rather painstakingly type in a name for your theater clip or just say it? Or how about changing custom games settings right from the lobby (assuming you are leader): "Change respawn time to 9 seconds" or "Increase movement speed to 130 percent" instead of having to drill down into the menus. Or how about being in a lobby and asking "What is Heathen 117s most used weapon".

That would all have to be programmed into the kinects firmware right? Unless developers started programing voice recognition software into their game as of right now I'm pretty sure the Kinect itself does all the work.

Ever use Siri before? Have fun constantly repeating yourself. I have no problems using my thumbs. If it'sa hassle, make a better U.I.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ever use Siri before? Have fun constantly repeating yourself. I have no problems using my thumbs. If it'sa hassle, make a better U.I.

Sure. Use your thumbs, if thats what you're comfortable with. The Kinect has pretty good voice recognition so I'm sure it will be OK. I just like the idea of voice command. It could be useful for me. It was just an example of how H5 could use the Kinect.

That would all have to be programmed into the kinects firmware right? Unless developers started programing voice recognition software into their game as of right now I'm pretty sure the Kinect itself does all the work.

Kinect can already respond to commands and hear language. The devs would just have to set up the trigger phrases and what they trigger (i.e. saying "search Rumble Pit for a match" would start matchmaking in that playlist) as far as I know. 

Lol ever heard of a game called Tom Clancy's Endwar? Go look it up. That was like 5 years ago with with no Kinect at all. You're fooling yourself I'd you don't think voice controls will make games better. It will absolutely add another dimension to games.

Kinect can already respond to commands and hear language. The devs would just have to set up the trigger phrases and what they trigger (i.e. saying "search Rumble Pit for a match" would start matchmaking in that playlist) as far as I know.

The kinect can hear and respond to commands that's programmed to respond to. It's not an A.I. that can learn language. Meaning developers would have to create their own recognition software that would understand "search rumble pit for a match". Unless I am mistaken on how the Kinect works. Which is probable.

The kinect can hear and respond to commands that's programmed to respond to. It's not an A.I. that can learn language. Meaning developers would have to create their own recognition software that would understand "search rumble pit for a match". Unless I am mistaken on how the Kinect works. Which is probable.

I think it has voice recognition, meaning you can dictate XBL messages and such with it. That means a dev could program it to respond to certain commands I think.

I bet Sony planned to Sell the PS4 for $500 with an included eye-toy until they saw Microsoft say they were including the Kinect. Sony then knew they could scrap the eye toy because Microsoft would not be able to compete with a $400 price point.

They did actually and they cut it last second. Whether or not it was before they saw M$'s price or not, it happened. I read an article on it somewhere a while back. 

Lol ever heard of a game called Tom Clancy's Endwar? Go look it up. That was like 5 years ago with with no Kinect at all. You're fooling yourself I'd you don't think voice controls will make games better. It will absolutely add another dimension to games.

I'm a fool? Again ever heard of Siri? It has voice command and it's a pain in the ass if the words get too complex. Try asking for "Nas illmatic". Once the words get too complicated it'll be fucked. Difference about the Tom Clancy game is that it probably only recognizes certain words so it works better. I could be wrong. Voice command is there yet. If it was we'd be seeing it use more than a keyboard, but we don't.

Sure. Use your thumbs, if thats what you're comfortable with. The Kinect has pretty good voice recognition so I'm sure it will be OK. I just like the idea of voice command. It could be useful for me. It was just an example of how H5 could use the Kinect.

Ahh, i think you guys as Xbox fans(since you're purchasing an Xbox One) are trying to find things to get excited for, since you're forced to buy the Kinect with your Xbox. I'm just making accusationgs, but that Kinect isn't worth being force to buy. I can use a controller and keyboard which will work just as good.

Ahh, i think you guys as Xbox fans(since you're purchasing an Xbox One) are trying to find things to get excited for, since you're forced to buy the Kinect with your Xbox. I'm just making accusationgs, but that Kinect isn't worth being force to buy. I can use a controller and keyboard which will work just as good.

This is funny. All you do is find a new reason after every change why you don't want one or how you can live without this or that feature. 

Stop trying to act like it is people in here that have the problem when all you do is spend your time complaining about this and that. People are excited about the possibilities of Kinect making the experience better. You saying C&K will work just as good is exactly why companies don't innovate. Things are always good enough, until someone goes and simplifies the experience and makes it better. 

This is funny. All you do is find a new reason after every change why you don't want one or how you can live without this or that feature. 

Stop trying to act like it is people in here that have the problem when all you do is spend your time complaining about this and that. People are excited about the possibilities of Kinect making the experience better. You saying C&K will work just as good is exactly why companies don't innovate. Things are always good enough, until someone goes and simplifies the experience and makes it better.

Yeah that's ALL I DO. Naw, the Xbox One looks better now, but i think it's stupid the consumer is being forced to buy the Kinect even though all it will be used for is a camera and maybe some voice commands. That doesn't sound like a good enough reason to pay an extra $100.

To me it just sounds like Xbox fans looking for positives in the Kinect. Probably being slightly ignorant, but there's also probably some truth in that too.

Like i said, i'd be more willing to buy the Xbox One if they didn't force something on me that i never want to use.

You're making assumptions that those are going to be the only experiences Kinect will provide. Doesn't that seem shortsighted?

You sound like the Sony fans that thought Microsoft was dumb for moving to broadband. The uproar when that happened was hilarious. Basically like it was going to end the console. Now, it is the norm and people have forgotten how upset they were that Microsoft was pushing broadband internet connections for gaming. We could also go with the Xbox fan that thought blu ray wasn't the way of the future. That is a little more fresh. Your choice. 

Something has to be universally available for people to develop for it. If they don't put Kinect in the bundles it will fail because there is a stigma around it. They have to bust that stigma and everyone should give them that chance that is buying their system. If they don't, and kinect games don't sell well, I bet they stop selling it bundled together. For now, they take the chance because it is the only way Kinect will ever be anything. 

Hook up a Kinect sensor to Windows 8, project the screen onto a wall or any other surface, and interact and control the computer by touching the projected image.

That’s the promise of new software launched this week by Seattle-based Ubi Interactive. Ubi, which operates out of the SURF Incubator, originally came to town came from Germany for the Kinect Accelerator program organized last year by Microsoft and TechStars.

After conducting a private beta inside a variety of companies, Ubi officially debuted its software this week at a starting price of $149, aiming to provide a low-cost alternative to large interactive touch screens. The multi-touch technology works in conjunction with existing projectors, using the Kinect for Windows sensor to detect when people are touching the projected screen.

One of the key applications will be inside companies, particularly for presentations in conference rooms. Ubi is offering professional, business and enterprise deals ranging as high as $1499 for extra product support, larger projected displays and additional “touch points” — the number of simultaneous touches that the software will respond to.

Other potential scenarios cited by the company include stores projecting screens onto their windows for customers to interact with, even after-hours. Classrooms are another target market, along with home usage such as projecting recipes onto a kitchen counter.

via http://www.geekwire.com/2013/surface-touch-screen-ubi-launches-kinect-app-windows-8/

Even though this doesn't have to do with xbox one use it does show the the potential of kinect once developers are able to work with and innovate on the technology. Also this is all with the old Kinect i'm sure Kinect 2.0 will be able to do far greater things.

Well Kinect-less bundle rumor has been thrown out the window. Kinect will always be bundled. Now this is where Ghandhi's thought #64 comes into play where his spectator mode idea about seeing other people's cam as u switch through different players on Halo 5.