Sign in to follow this  
Scarecrow

Kinect-less bundle for $400?

1. Microsoft introducing a new Xbox One "set" at Gamescom this month. Ten to one says it's a Kinect-less bundle for $400.

2. @TheDCD Where did you hear that Microsoft was doing that?

3. @TheDCD You wouldn't happen to remember the site would you?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ten to one says it's a Kinect-less bundle for $400.

Even if it ends up being correct, your thread title is not really ideal for something that's just a guess.

Even if it ends up being correct, your thread title is not really ideal for something that's just a guess.

Just edited it.

Robert Workman @TheDCD 17m

Microsoft introducing a new Xbox One "set" at Gamescom this month. Ten to one says it's a Kinect-less bundle for $400.

and how reputable is this guy?

don't get me wrong this isn't exactly unlikely or anything but I just wanna know how credible this actually is.

But didn't Microsoft already comment on having no plans for a Kinectless Xbox?

Maybe they're flip-flopping again. That seems to be the story of the Xbox One anyway.

MS have 180'd so many times that I believe its over 9000 at this point, its not at all unlikely considering how much MS have been caving in lately.

its funny because even if MS do exactly what gamers want them to it'll still likely fall behind the PS4 simply because of the negative PR surrounding the XB1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well fuck.

Am I the only one who sees this as a bad thing?

The reason kinect failed this gen was because the install base was tiny. The same thing is going to happen if microsoft does a 400$ kinectless version. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well fuck.

The reason kinect failed this gen was because the install base was tiny. The same thing is going to happen if microsoft does a 400$ kinectless version. 

It's the same as them dropping DRM. I was happy about having DRM, it could have lead to some good things. However, I could still see why some people wouldn't be happy about it, but oh well. 

I have no desire for Kinect and would rather pay less for an xbox one.  Good news for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I bet Sony planned to Sell the PS4 for $500 with an included eye-toy until they saw Microsoft say they were including the Kinect. Sony then knew they could scrap the eye toy because Microsoft would not be able to compete with a $400 price point.

OP is updated. TIFWIW

10 to 1 says this guy is a troll looking for attention. Microsoft isn't releasing a new SKU. IGN, GI or Gamespot would have found this out and Twitter would be blowing up.

It's the same as them dropping DRM. I was happy about having DRM, it could have lead to some good things. However, I could still see why some people wouldn't be happy about it, but oh well. 

No.  It is not even remotely close to the same thing as them dropping DRM.  At all. 

I pity people who would rather have the xbox+DRM.  They have been deluded into thinking that it was "needed" in order to have their "family sharing" that was never even going to work like how they thought it would.  

If you analyze each of the DRM points in the policy (such as having to connect every 24 hours to online, not being able to sell used games unless publishers were kind enough to grant you permission, etc.) it's easy to realize that it's all bullshit that screws the consumer over.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Don't wanna be that, but this could go be in the gaming section.

But i hope this is true cause then i can consider getting one.

No.  It is not even remotely close to the same thing as them dropping DRM.  At all. 

I pity people who would rather have the xbox+DRM.  They have been deluded into thinking that it was "needed" in order to have their "family sharing" that was never even going to work like how they thought it would.  

If you analyze each of the DRM points in the policy (such as having to connect every 24 hours to online, not being able to sell used games unless publishers were kind enough to grant you permission, etc.) it's easy to realize that it's all bullshit that screws the consumer over.

Fuckin eh. Except they wouldn't be able to do that family sharing plan with physical copies cause that'd be too many free games for people. Could only work with digital copies without DRM.

Well fuck.

shhh sony fanboys might hear you :P

to be fair though the original kinect was terrible (kinect 2 isn't perfect or anything but its much more advanced) so I doubt it would've been a large success regardless.

MS/sony/nintendo have been trying to do that for years but to no avail, its inevitable regardless so its not like its gone for good or anything.

I bet Sony planned to Sell the PS4 for $500 with an included eye-toy until they saw Microsoft say they were including the Kinect. Sony then knew they could scrap the eye toy because Microsoft would not be able to compete with a $400 price point.

sony did an excellent job in regards to PR, in the long run they'll likely regret it but short-term they rakin in all the dough

Don't wanna be that, but this could go be in the gaming section.

But i hope this is true cause then i can consider getting one.

Fuckin eh. Except they wouldn't be able to do that family sharing plan with physical copies cause that'd be too many free games for people. Could only work with digital copies without DRM.

I doubt they'll ever do it though, if they could/wanted to they would've done it years ago, I heard steam might do it though.

At least they can't force Halo 5 to incorporate Kinect.

As mentioned before, Kinect integration in a game can help with things and improve the game without affecting gameplay. Spoken theater controls, player stat look ups, and other voice integration could be useful.

DRM wasn't just about that family sharing plan for me. I was excited about it purely because I figured it would fuck over a lot of modding and piracy. But, I always have access to the internet except when power goes out completely so it didn't worry me. However much the cloud computing could actually handle is yet to be seen, but developers could potentially use less of it knowing that not everyone will be able to take advantage of it. Who knows what developers and Microsoft may or may not have been planning for the future based around DRM. 

DRM wasn't just about that family sharing plan for me. I was excited about it purely because I figured it would fuck over a lot of modding and piracy. But, I always have access to the internet except when power goes out completely so it didn't worry me. However much the cloud computing could actually handle is yet to be seen, but developers could potentially use less of it knowing that not everyone will be able to take advantage of it. Who knows what developers and Microsoft may or may not have been planning for the future based around DRM. 

MS don't have the balls to try something like that again, at least not in the near future, I actually expect sony to be the ones to push it next time.