Sign in to follow this  
II CasTLe

H5 - AA's through personal ordinance

I find it hardly believable that 343 will scrap the concepts of AA's, ordinance and load-out customisation in Halo 5, so what if they were balanced in a way that was similar to Throwdown in which when your personal ordinance meter filled up you were given a choice of three AA's, which you could customise alongside your primary rifles in the loadout screen.

So people could choose their own preferred AA's and still use them 2-3 times a match; yet the rate of AA's contributing to chaotic gameplay would be drastically reduced due to players only having limited access to them.

Obviously AA's like jetpack, PV and AC would need balancing and this is purely for the less competitive playlists, but I feel this would be a happy compromise between the old and the new styles of play.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd rather just have pickups. I don't like the idea of personal ordinance in Throwdown, and it feels like they only exist there as an excuse to use as little of a pair of features in the game without just removing them.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'd rather just have pickups. I don't like the idea of personal ordinance in Throwdown, and it feels like they only exist there as an excuse to use as little of a pair of features in the game without just removing them.

I understand what you're getting at mate but for the mainstream playlists I think placing them on map removes them from play too drastically (which is a good thing, but not realistic considering how 'Infinity settings' focused this game is and therefore H5 will be similar), and also removes player choice in regards to choosing an AA they like and want to play with.

I feel that by replicating the way they are implemented through personal ordinance in TTD except allowing the player to choose their three options finds a happy medium between player customisation and controlling the amount of AA's in play at once within a match (thereby reducing the chaotic / fiesta style gameplay).

• Upvote (+1) 1

POD's

1. make equivalent. essentially one of the biggest flaws of POD's is that the reward is not equivalent to the work that was actually put into it, this not only gives players an unfair advantage over others it also means that it undermines the players actual effort/skill.

what I mean is instead of having 3 random weapons you would still have random weapons but they would be equivalent to one another, this would only work if the sandbox was balanced.

2. make them non power weapons. the other crucial flaw with POD's is that it discourages map movement, by putting non power weapons (primary weapons/secondary weapons/etc.) it helps alleviate this problem dramatically.

AA's

1. camo/hardlight shield/regen field/etc. should be pickup these abilities for whatever reason are too gamebreaking to actually use, by putting them on map it limits the level of abuse said AA's can do.

2. these should work more like power-ups and less like magically powers, what I mean by this is that they shouldn't give players completely new and random powers and instead they should be an extention of the players abilities (thruster pack, super nade throw, insta reload, markings, etc.) 

Power full AAs can be on maps jetpack, and others 

Weaker AAs hologram thruster hard light can be in ordnance 

I think this would be a good compromise between old and new playstyles, and would give them a way to not scrap them entirely, as you pointed out (@OP.)

Also, if armor abilities come as personal ordinance, they should appear instantly on the player's back, or at the very least in a more precisely predictable location on the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, if armor abilities come as personal ordinance, they should appear instantly on the player's back, or at the very least in a more precisely predictable location on the map.

As much as I dislike ordinance in general, I much prefer the drop/pickup method w/ the exception that it SHOULDN'T KILL YOU!!!

As much as I dislike ordinance in general, I much prefer the drop/pickup method w/ the exception that it SHOULDN'T KILL YOU!!!

Well jeez MrBucket- sounds like you need to get better at avoiding the ordnances that you specifically call in with a marker on your HUD indicating exactly where not to stand.

(I kid, I kid, I agree that it shouldn't damage you.)

Well jeez MrBucket- sounds like you need to get better at avoiding the ordnances that you specifically call in with a marker on your HUD indicating exactly where not to stand.

(I kid, I kid, I agree that it shouldn't damage you.)

Lol if only it was that easy, the damn things have splash damage out the ass.

At AGL10 the rocket spawn ordinance on Station 9 killed KnightyKnight after he got a nice triple kill. (Least I think it was KK, I forget exactly)

Lol if only it was that easy, the damn things have splash damage out the ass.

At AGL10 the rocket spawn ordinance on Station 9 killed KnightyKnight after he got a nice triple kill. (Least I think it was KK, I forget exactly)

Shit dude, you can see into the future too?

Then there really is no excuse for you being hit by ordnances.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm against PO entirely, but provided they make a return, there's another aspect to them that needs to be addressed other than balancing.

Currently when you receive PO, you cannot toggle grenades until you select which PO you want to use, as the left, right, and down dpad buttons are designated for selecting ordnance. This is silly, and for situations where a grenade is the difference in keeping yourself alive, detriments the player.

An immediate solution would be that if the left and right dpad buttons determine grenade usage, the up and down allows the user to scroll through ordnance. The icons for ordnance should be a bit smaller, with a light arrow above or below the ordnance to indicate there is more options available.

Again, i don't like PO, but in the event of its return, this is the best idea i could think of.

Power full AAs can be on maps jetpack, and others 

Weaker AAs hologram thruster hard light can be in ordnance 

Thruster and hardlight are probably some of the more powerful armor abilities. I would say the weakest ones are Hologram and Autosentry.

The idea of armor abilities is actually a good idea, IMO. It's just how they're implemented that's been so poor.  I think we'll see some AA's removed and see some new ones. I can see Camo and Promethean Vision being removed, and maybe Hardlight Shield for new ones.

The thing about PODs in Throwdown that annoys me is that you have to call it in. As soon as you get it, or spawn, you want to continue what you're doing. Not call it in and go up to it and pick it up. While it only takes a few seconds, it does slow gameplay down a bit. It'd be nice if it just gave it to you without calling it in. Or even better, like others have stated, make them map pick ups. That works even better IMO.

The idea of armor abilities is actually a good idea, IMO. It's just how they're implemented that's been so poor.  I think we'll see some AA's removed and see some new ones. I can see Camo and Promethean Vision being removed, and maybe Hardlight Shield for new ones.

The thing about PODs in Throwdown that annoys me is that you have to call it in. As soon as you get it, or spawn, you want to continue what you're doing. Not call it in and go up to it and pick it up. While it only takes a few seconds, it does slow gameplay down a bit. It'd be nice if it just gave it to you without calling it in. Or even better, like others have stated, make them map pick ups. That works even better IMO.

Agreed, go back to Equipment, Halo 3 style if you have to do anything like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm against PO entirely, but provided they make a return, there's another aspect to them that needs to be addressed other than balancing.

Currently when you receive PO, you cannot toggle grenades until you select which PO you want to use, as the left, right, and down dpad buttons are designated for selecting ordnance. This is silly, and for situations where a grenade is the difference in keeping yourself alive, detriments the player.

An immediate solution would be that if the left and right dpad buttons determine grenade usage, the up and down allows the user to scroll through ordnance. The icons for ordnance should be a bit smaller, with a light arrow above or below the ordnance to indicate there is more options available.

Again, i don't like PO, but in the event of its return, this is the best idea i could think of.

I have a better idea, remove sprint.

The Strong AAs make you more farther, thruster only moves you 2 feet 

Evade would be on the map or jetpack when hard light or thruster could be in ordnance 

Hard light is weaker because it only blocks one side and can be naded

While I agree with Sam that anything other than map pickups isn't "halo", unfortunately the state of console fps gaming means that arena shooters are out and class-shooters are in.  I fully expect to see a return of AAs, loadouts, POs, etc.  All what I can hope for are classic playlists.

While I agree with Sam that anything other than map pickups isn't "halo", unfortunately the state of console fps gaming means that arena shooters are out and class-shooters are in. I fully expect to see a return of AAs, loadouts, POs, etc. All what I can hope for are classic playlists.

I agree 100%, in competitive playlists aa's should be map pickups only. I am not suggesting customisable aa pods for these playlists.

For the other mainstream 'casual' slayer and objective playlists however which will no doubt have some sort of infinity settings, I think they should implement the above idea so that they don't have to completely remove the customisation/ load out theme from h4 yet the rate of aa use in play is balanced; as players will only be using them with a single life 3-4 times a match instead of off spawn every single time.

It would also solve the issue of people calling in random power weapons to their feet.

• Upvote (+1) 1