Sign in to follow this  
Jinxer

Halo 5 Matchmaking: Ranking System

This is a general overview of what I would like the ranking system to be in Halo 5.

If you haven't seen my thread about the playlists you should check here to get a quick overview on the different categories.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2241-halo-5-matchmaking-playlists/

Feel free to post your own ideas.

I feel that the only way to stop the quitting problem is by severely punishing them for just 1 quit. In terms of ranking systems, a quit will hurt your rank more than a loss.

Global Ranking System

• Private-General Rankings
  • Based off of Exp and Highest CSR (from ranked playlist).
  • Players who finish a season in the Mythic division (see League Play section) will earn the rank of "Mythic General".
  • Experience gained from winning.
  • Experience can be gained from any playlist.
  • Experience can be seen on the player's playercard/profile
  • Will be separated into 4 categories: Total, Ranked, League, Social
  • Double XP Weekend (once a month) experience will go under "Social"
  • Quitting will result in a loss of XP.

CSR (Ranked playlists)

This ranking system ONLY applies to the playlists listed below, NOT League Play playlists.

Team Slayer is also under the "Ranked Playlist" section but those ranks are based off of W/L due to the emphasis on teamwork.

Playlists

• Team Snipers
  • Big Team Battle
  • Team SWAT

General

• 1-50 Rankings.
  • Based off of individual skill and w/l 
  • Based off k/a/d ratios.
  • Players can only level up if they out-perform players in their game/ win games
  • Players must have a positive k/a/d to gain Playlist Points (Playlist Points are not viewable)
  • Playlist XP can be lost if a player underperforms
  • Level of other players will also affect the amount of Playlist points
  • Players will have a "Level Bar" that tells them how close they are to the next level.
  • The "Level Bar" will also tell how much XP was gained or lost for the previous game.

CSR Formula (kinda)

• These numbers aren't exact but they should give you an understandable overview.
  • 1 Kill= 1 pt
  • 1 Assist= .5 pt
  • 1 Death= -1.25 pts (imo staying is more important than getting kills)
  • 1 Win= 10 pts
  • 1 Loss= -10 pts
  • Your Level (average lvl of opponents is within 5 levels)= +/- 0 pts
  • Out of Your Level (6-10)= +/- 10 pts
  • The amount of points for players out of your level will increase 10 pts for every 5 levels.
  • DNF= -20 pts

Examples

SniperKillaX2154 is playing TS and goes 16/7(assists)/10(deaths) and wins against people his level, he will gain 17 pts (7 individual, 10 for winning). He is being rewarded for doing well as winning.

Johnnyboy117 is level 20 in TS and goes 21/5/10 and LOSES against players his level. He will GAIN 1 pt (+11 individual, -10 for loss). He will be rewarded for doing well BUT punished for losing

IMO this is the only fair way to a TrueSkill ranking system. It rewards those who win AS well as perform well. It punishes those who lose and dont perform well. Im sure most players in here know what it feels like to be in a game where they went +15 and lost and as a result lost their rank (in H3).

THE "RANKED" PLAYLIST SECTION IS NOT MEANT TO BE THE MOST COMPETITIVE SECTION. THAT IS LEAGUE PLAY.

League Play

For those of you who arent farmiliar with The SC2/CoD League system created by Josh Menke (at 343i now btw) check this link

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Battle.net_Leagues

​The league system I have is very similar, but with some modifications.

Playlists

• Team Hardcore
  • Rumble Pit 
  • Team Doubles
  • Head 2 Head

General

• 6 Divisions
  • 6 week seasons.
  • 1 "qualifier" week between each season.
  • A players division will be determined by it's W/L in qualifying.
  • Players must play 10 qualifying matches to qualify mid-season
  • If a player is inactive for 10 days, that player will lose his/her spot and play 10 qualifying matches.
  • A player cannot be placed in Legendary/Mythic Divisions while qualifying mid season.
  • A player can move up/down in divisions mid-season based ONLY on a W/L ranking system (Rumble Pit is a bit different).
  • Player that are already placed in a division can will only play players in their own division, the division above them, and the division above them (ex. SnipeKid21 is in Silver, he will play players from silver, bronze, and gold.)
  • Players in bronze will play players in bronze and silver.
  • In the Team Playlists, a separate ladder will be made for full teams (to4s for THC, to2 for TD).
  • The top players in each mythic division will receive some reward (top 4 players in singles, top 1 in teams).

6 Divisions (listed top to bottom)

• Mythic 
  • Legendary
  • Heroic
  • Gold
  • Silver
  • Bronze

Team HC, TD, and H2H W/L Ranking System

• Same Division Win = +10 pts
  • Same Division Loss = -10 pts
  •  
  • Higher Division Win = +20 pts 
  • Higher Division Loss = -5 pts
  •  
  • Lower Division Win = +5 pts
  • Lower Division Loss = -20 pts
  •  
  • DNF = -20 pts

Team Hardcore

• In the "Team Hardcore" playlist players will have 2 search options: JOIN solo que (singles-to3s), JOIN team que (to4s)
  • A player/to3 in the single cue will not match up with a team of 4 and vice versa.
  • Mythic Singles Ladder: 64 players
  • Mythic Team Ladder: 16 teams

Team Doubles

• Similar to Team HC in terms of join options. Singles Que, Team Que.

Head 2 Head 

• No specific search options.
  • Mythic Ladder: 32 players

Rumble Pit

• Rank will be a point system based off of w/l and placings
  • Top 2 is considered a "win"
  • Basic FFA rules apply.
  • Mythic Ladder: 64 players

Rumble Pit Point System

• BASE POINTS (same division)
  • Win=10 pts
  • Loss= 0 pts
  • 1st=10 pts (20 total)
  • 2nd= 5 (15 total)
  • 3rd= 2
  • 4th= 1
  • 5th= -1
  • 6th= -2
  • 7th= -3
  • 8th= -4
  • DNF= -20
  • Bolded=Winners
  •  
  • Higher Division Win: +10 pts added to base points earned
  • Higher Division Loss: - 5 pts
  •  
  • Lower Division Win: +5 pts
  • Lower Division Loss: -10 pts

This system rewards winners heavily with points and a W on their record. It also somewhat rewards a player in 3/4th with pts but gives them a L.

Im pretty sure I put everything that I wanted. If you guys think that I should add anything let me know.

Mythic General anyone? :)

2ewgzzn.png

Let's all hold hands and say NO to individual performance based CSR.

It it is a team gametype, then the only thing should matter is win/loss period.  Trying to "stat" the game A: has never worked ever B: actually makes teammates compete against each other and not even want to play together for fear of being overshadowed C: never takes into account things such as good communication, and the things that it does take into account are usually improperly balanced.

Win/loss only.  End of story.  Just use ELO. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Let's all hold hands and say NO to individual performance based CSR.

It it is a team gametype, then the only thing should matter is win/loss period.  Trying to "stat" the game A: has never worked ever B: actually makes teammates compete against each other and not even want to play together for fear of being overshadowed C: never takes into account things such as good communication, and the things that it does take into account are usually improperly balanced.

Win/loss only.  End of story.  Just use ELO. 

Did you read the entire thing? Because it was clear that a player earned WAY more points for a W. Players (normally) will lose points if they lose. And they will (normally) gain points when they win. A ranking system based only off Wins/Losses only truly works in a 1v1 setting, or a playlist where everyone is really good and really wants to win. 

IMO if a player goes 2/5/18 and wins a TS he should not go up. A system based only off of W/L allows this.

IMO if a player goes 25/10/8 and loses a TS because he A. Had teammates quit B. Had AFK teammates or C. Had AWFUL teammates should not go down. A system based only off of W/L allows this. This player will not, however, be rewarded as much as a player who went 13/8/9 on the winning team.

This system both rewards players for winning as well as doing well individually and it punishes those who lose as well as perform poorly.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Did you read the entire thing? Because it was clear that a player earned WAY more points for a W. Players (normally) will lose points if they lose. And they will (normally) gain points when they win. A ranking system based only off Wins/Losses only truly works in a 1v1 setting, or a playlist where everyone is really good and really wants to win. 

IMO if a player goes 2/5/18 and wins a TS he should not go up. A system based only off of W/L allows this.

IMO if a player goes 25/10/8 and loses a TS because he A. Had teammates quit B. Had AFK teammates or C. Had AWFUL teammates should not go down. A system based only off of W/L allows this. This player will not, however, be rewarded as much as a player who went 13/8/9 on the winning team.

This system both rewards players for winning as well as doing well individually and it punishes those who lose as well as perform poorly.

The problem is that you think that your system can adequately measure whether an individual is "performing poorly".  It can only estimate such things- and the only objective way that we can evaluate skill in team slayer is by seeing how much they win team slayer.  Yes, a poorer player may be carried to an extent- but this is certainly better than trying to attach weight to k/d.

The problem is that you think that your system can adequately measure whether an individual is "performing poorly".  It can only estimate such things- and the only objective way that we can evaluate skill in team slayer is by seeing how much they win team slayer.  Yes, a poorer player may be carried to an extent- but this is certainly better than trying to attach weight to k/d.

That is why a player receives points for both assists (.5 pts) and wins (10 pts for win), and they lose more points for a death than they gain for a kill (-1.25 for death).

In order for a player to get the same amount of pts as a win, that player would have to go at least 10-0. However, a player that goes 20-10 would only receive 7.5 pts.

Edit: Do you think adding more points to a w/l would be better? Say +15 for win -15 for loss?

This right here ^Perhaps I am extremely unlucky but I cant even begin to count the number of games I ran in Snipers, Swat, and TTD where I did amazingly well dropping 20-30+ K/D bombs but still losing due to players going as much negative as I went positive. OR! me having to follow my teammates around keeping them alive because they ran around the map like a chicken with their head cut off. I didnt want to match with them but the matchmaking system forced me to therefore there should be some give and take here, if you are going to force me to team with shit players than at least give me a little something for my suffering.

Edit: You could tone the amount of points you get for stats down I dont know that it should be anywhere near possible to winning numbers but I am ok with having some for doing the work.

That is why a player receives points for both assists (.5 pts) and wins (10 pts for win), and they lose more points for a death than they gain for a kill (-1.25 for death).

In order for a player to get the same amount of pts as a win, that player would have to go at least 10-0. However, a player that goes 20-10 would only receive 7.5 pts.

Edit: Do you think adding more points to a w/l would be better? Say +15 for win -15 for loss?

I don't think you understand.  They tried the individual-based rankings.  They did in reach with arena rankings, and they are currently doing it right now in halo 4 in team snipers/ infinity slayer etc.

It's terrible.  It will always be terrible. You assume that k/d matter more than other aspects of these team playlists.  Someone can go -2 in a game and do more for their team than someone who goes +3.  I don't care how much you weight that stuff- it will always be wrong by some margin.  If you do it based on win/loss only, like halo 2 and halo 3, then that is by far better as it means that you just have to do what it takes to win- not compete with your teammates for who has the right to pick up sniper.

No matter how you stat it or weight the points it will always be imperfect.   Individual csr is fine for when there is a drastic separation in skill between players.  If there is not a drastic separation, (as there won't be if there is a decent population size) than team csr is better any way you look at it.

This right here ^Perhaps I am extremely unlucky but I cant even begin to count the number of games I ran in Snipers, Swat, and TTD where I did amazingly well dropping 20-30+ K/D bombs but still losing due to players going as much negative as I went positive. OR! me having to follow my teammates around keeping them alive because they ran around the map like a chicken with their head cut off. I didnt want to match with them but the matchmaking system forced me to therefore there should be some give and take here, if you are going to force me to team with shit players than at least give me a little something for my suffering.

Edit: You could tone the amount of points you get for stats down I dont know that it should be anywhere near possible to winning numbers but I am ok with having some for doing the work.

Currently in halo 4, if you *go* into snipers or swat that is exactly how it works.  Individual csr.

It's great for searching alone *in low-popluated playlists*, but if you actually use the playlists as intended (i.e. searching with a team) it sucks as you will be competing against your own teammates.  I had to stop playing with my friends in all of the individual-csr playlists for this reason: it wasn't any fun.  You couldn't be a player who just did a bunch of dirty work- we had to fight for kills.

Team CSR works great even when searching alone as long as there are enough players to create a decent rank progression.

If you go into team slayer and lose because you have a bad team than you deserve to go down.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think you understand.  They tried the individual-based rankings.  They did in reach with arena rankings, and they are currently doing it right now in halo 4 in team snipers/ infinity slayer etc.

It's terrible.  It will always be terrible. You assume that k/d matter more than other aspects of these team playlists.  Someone can go -2 in a game and do more for their team than someone who goes +3.  I don't care how much you weight that stuff- it will always be wrong by some margin.  If you do it based on win/loss only, like halo 2 and halo 3, then that is by far better as it means that you just have to do what it takes to win- not compete with your teammates for who has the right to pick up sniper.

Why does it have to be terrible? You are assuming its just not weighted fairly; but the OP is suggesting a system that rewards heavily for wins and helps soften loss if you did well. I think that if you win, everyone on your team should receive the same number of 'ranking points'. But if you lose, the players who performed worst should be punished. Especially with receiving points for everything from assists to vehicle destruction to objective play. A person on a losing team in a flag game who scored 2 flags, went +15, and had 15 assists should not be punished the same way the as the person with 0 seconds flag time, -5, and 8 assists. 

So heres the key: to prevent people from stat-whoring, you only rank up upon wins, and your stats have no impact on how much you rank up from that win. But if you try your ass off, be a good teammate, and still lose, you should lose rank, but not as much rank as your teammates.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All we need is a halo 2/H3 ranking system meaning w/l is the only factor in going up or down. If A guy goes 2-3-15 and wins so what. I dont want people stating in the playlist again. So many games of 1 cap sanctuary played in reach...so many... The systems I see being presented are flawed because say if you get capped on in the first minute. One idiot of a teammate might say "we're going to lose this anyway" so as a result he begins to stat instead of trying his hardest to comeback as a team. Just keep it nice and simple.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Holy shit why are there so many words and numbers?

Dude, anything good doesn't need to be that complicated. A system should be understood by the players without them taking a lecture series. I don't think anyonewould have any real grasp on what was happening in that League structure.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

This is a general overview of what I would like the ranking system to be in Halo 5.

If you haven't seen my thread about the playlists you should check here to get a quick overview on the different categories.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2241-halo-5-matchmaking-playlists/

Feel free to post your own ideas.

I feel that the only way to stop the quitting problem is by severely punishing them for just 1 quit. In terms of ranking systems, a quit will hurt your rank more than a loss.

Global Ranking System

• Private-General Rankings
  • Based off of Exp and Highest CSR (from ranked playlist).
  • Players who finish a season in the Mythic division (see League Play section) will earn the rank of "Mythic General".
  • Experience gained from winning.
  • Experience can be gained from any playlist.
  • Experience can be seen on the player's playercard/profile
  • Will be separated into 4 categories: Total, Ranked, League, Social
  • Double XP Weekend (once a month) experience will go under "Social"
  • Quitting will result in a loss of XP.

CSR (Ranked playlists)

Playlists

• Team Slayer
  • Team Snipers
  • Big Team Battle
  • Team SWAT

General

• 1-50 Rankings.
  • Based off of individual skill and w/l 
  • Based off k/a/d ratios.
  • Players can only level up if they out-perform players in their game/ win games
  • Players must have a positive k/a/d to gain Playlist Points (Playlist Points are not viewable)
  • Playlist XP can be lost if a player underperforms
  • Level of other players will also affect the amount of Playlist points
  • Players will have a "Level Bar" that tells them how close they are to the next level.
  • The "Level Bar" will also tell how much XP was gained or lost for the previous game.

CSR Formula (kinda)

• These numbers aren't exact but they should give you an understandable overview.
  • 1 Kill= 1 pt
  • 1 Assist= .5 pt
  • 1 Death= -1.25 pts (imo staying is more important than getting kills)
  • 1 Win= 10 pts
  • 1 Loss= -10 pts
  • Your Level (average lvl of opponents is within 5 levels)= +/- 0 pts
  • Out of Your Level (6-10)= +/- 10 pts
  • The amount of points for players out of your level will increase 10 pts for every 5 levels.
  • DNF= -20 pts

Examples

SniperKillaX2154 is playing TS and goes 16/7(assists)/10(deaths) and wins against people his level, he will gain 17 pts (7 individual, 10 for winning). He is being rewarded for doing well as winning.

Johnnyboy117 is level 20 in TS and goes 21/5/10 and LOSES against players his level. He will GAIN 1 pt (+11 individual, -10 for loss). He will be rewarded for doing well BUT punished for losing

IMO this is the only fair way to a TrueSkill ranking system. It rewards those who win AS well as perform well. It punishes those who lose and dont perform well. Im sure most players in here know what it feels like to be in a game where they went +15 and lost and as a result lost their rank (in H3).

THE "RANKED" PLAYLIST SECTION IS NOT MEANT TO BE THE MOST COMPETITIVE SECTION. THAT IS LEAGUE PLAY.

League Play

For those of you who arent farmiliar with The SC2/CoD League system created by Josh Menke (at 343i now btw) check this link

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Battle.net_Leagues

​The league system I have is very similar, but with some modifications.

Playlists

• Team Hardcore
  • Rumble Pit 
  • Team Doubles
  • Head 2 Head

General

• 6 Divisions
  • 6 week seasons.
  • 1 "qualifier" week between each season.
  • A players division will be determined by it's W/L in qualifying.
  • Players must play 10 qualifying matches to qualify mid-season
  • If a player is inactive for 10 days, that player will lose his/her spot and play 10 qualifying matches.
  • A player cannot be placed in Legendary/Mythic Divisions while qualifying mid season.
  • A player can move up/down in divisions mid-season based ONLY on a W/L ranking system (Rumble Pit is a bit different).
  • Player that are already placed in a division can will only play players in their own division, the division above them, and the division above them (ex. SnipeKid21 is in Silver, he will play players from silver, bronze, and gold.)
  • Players in bronze will play players in bronze and silver.
  • In the Team Playlists, a separate ladder will be made for full teams (to4s for THC, to2 for TD).
  • The top players in each mythic division will receive some reward (top 4 players in singles, top 1 in teams).

6 Divisions (listed top to bottom)

• Mythic 
  • Legendary
  • Heroic
  • Gold
  • Silver
  • Bronze

Team HC, TD, and H2H W/L Ranking System

• Same Division Win = +10 pts
  • Same Division Loss = -10 pts
  •  
  • Higher Division Win = +20 pts 
  • Higher Division Loss = -5 pts
  •  
  • Lower Division Win = +5 pts
  • Lower Division Loss = -20 pts
  •  
  • DNF = -20 pts

Team Hardcore

• In the "Team Hardcore" playlist players will have 2 search options: JOIN solo que (singles-to3s), JOIN team que (to4s)
  • A player/to3 in the single cue will not match up with a team of 4 and vice versa.

Team Doubles

• Similar to Team HC in terms of join options. Singles Que, Team Que.

Head 2 Head 

• No specific search options.
  • Mythic Ladder: 32 players

Rumble Pit

• Rank will be a point system based off of w/l and placings
  • Top 2 is considered a "win"
  • Basic FFA rules apply.
  • Mythic Ladder: 64 players

Rumble Pit Point System

• BASE POINTS (same division)
  • Win=10 pts
  • Loss= 0 pts
  • 1st=10 pts (20 total)
  • 2nd= 5 (15 total)
  • 3rd= 2
  • 4th= 1
  • 5th= -1
  • 6th= -2
  • 7th= -3
  • 8th= -4
  • DNF= -20
  • Bolded=Winners
  •  
  • Higher Division Win: +10 pts added to base points earned
  • Higher Division Loss: - 5 pts
  •  
  • Lower Division Win: +5 pts
  • Lower Division Loss: -10 pts

This system rewards winners heavily with points and a W on their record. It also somewhat rewards a player in 3/4th with pts but gives them a L.

Im pretty sure I put everything that I wanted. If you guys think that I should add anything let me know.

Mythic General anyone? :)

2ewgzzn.png

Holy shit why are there so many words and numbers?

Dude, anything good doesn't need to be that complicated. A system should be understood by the players without them taking a lecture series. I don't think anyonewould have any real grasp on what was happening in that League structure.

What you said makes no sense whatsoever and I can't believe anyone would ever come to such a conclusion. Too many words and numbers? No combination of words and numbers could even begin to describe how mindless your post is.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Win/Loss is all that's needed. You may lose a game or rank down but as long as it doesn't happen several times in a row you won't rank down. But the worse player on the team will continue to rank down until that player is matched with some around there skill level. And if your that good you will win more games and rank up until you level off and are matched with similar skill.

Going off individual stats will do the exact opposite. There will always be one player to high or to low because that system won't properly place people. What if I do horrible but still best on my team? I don't go down. I'm still not being matched with adequate players.

At the highest level of any game that has team multi player there will be teams. If you go and watch the VoD of infamous vs requiem on dispatch CTF requiem's entire team went negative but still won the game.

Your probably thinking well the winning team ranks up. But that's not the point. The point is at higher levels of play stats don't and shouldn't separate players. W/L should because there is more that goes into it then stats.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What you said makes no sense whatsoever and I can't believe anyone would ever come to such a conclusion. Too many words and numbers? No combination of words and numbers could even begin to describe how mindless your post is.

Really? Because most of the other posts seem to think Win/Loss is all that's needed. That's 2 words and 0 numbers.

But seriously, why should a ranking system be overly complicated? No professional sport needs that. Wouldn't it be better if the players clearly understood why they rank up and when to expect it? That way it seems fair - instead of clouded in superfluous details.

Really? Because most of the other posts seem to think Win/Loss is all that's needed. That's 2 words and 0 numbers.

But seriously, why should a ranking system be overly complicated? No professional sport needs that. Wouldn't it be better if the players clearly understood why they rank up and when to expect it? That way it seems fair - instead of clouded in superfluous details.

Agreed. W/L is better than the individual scoring crap IMO. It makes teams work together for the win, thus creating more competitive players, a willingness to work as a group and not on your own, to learn callouts, weapon times, to have your mic plugged in even if you're not 100% sure on all the callouts.

That's what made previous Halo's so enjoyable because everyone on your team wanted the win as badly as you did, no one would be playing for the sake of playing in Ranked playlists.

When you bring Individual scoring into the mix, it esentially turns into a big FFA, trying to play as selfish as possible which I don't like.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You are assuming its just not weighted fairly; but the OP is suggesting a system that rewards heavily for wins and helps soften loss if you did well. I think that if you win, everyone on your team should receive the same number of 'ranking points'. But if you lose, the players who performed worst should be punished. 

Bingo. Players who are performing their asses off on a losing team should still be rewarded somewhat, just not as much as the winners.

Keep in mind that the only playlists this applies to is TS, Snipers, BTB and SWAT so players aren't going to be trying to communicate as much because theyre not as competitive as we are

TeamHC, Doubles, H2H and FFA is all based off of W/L (FFA is slightly different though).

Edit: I updated the OP just in case I wasnt clear about what playlists the CSR applies to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bingo. Players who are performing their asses off on a losing team should still be rewarded somewhat, just not as much as the winners.

Keep in mind that the only playlists this applies to is TS, Snipers, BTB and SWAT so players aren't going to be trying to communicate as much because theyre not as competitive as we are

TeamHC, Doubles, H2H and FFA is all based off of W/L (FFA is slightly different though).

Edit: I updated the OP just in case I wasnt clear about what playlists the CSR applies to.

Agreed. Although I don't think there should be a reward for performing well on a losing team, just less deranking points/no derank. If you reward them even if they lose then the stat-whoring happens.

Agreed. Although I don't think there should be a reward for performing well on a losing team, just less deranking points/no derank. If you reward them even if they lose then the stat-whoring happens.

little reward pretty much = less derank lol

Nope. it should always be win or lose, cause as Heathen already mentioned stat whoring happens. Only in FFAs should your individual performance make a difference.

Someone told me the flaw in the true skill formula was that your team mates rank influences your rank which is why booster accounts worked. So a simple solotuion is to to remove the inlfuence your team mates have on your rank. Or have it based off W/L. So from 1-5 ranks you need to win 2 out of 3 games. So say you win 1, but you lose 1, you're back at zero, but if you win 2, you rank up and then you're a rank and the 2 out 3 thing restarts. Something of that sort and then every 5 ranks the amount of wins increases to rank up or something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact that you think the two words "win" and "loss" pretty much cover the ranking system of a Halo game boggles the mind.

While the ranking system should be W/L, I feel that matches between people of equal rank should be decided by some sort of trueskill system that resets every day. This way, if you are warming up, you will be facing players who are also warming up or playing poorly for the day and if you are on a streak, you will be playing better players.

The fact that you think the two words "win" and "loss" pretty much cover the ranking system of a Halo game boggles the mind.

Your mind must be easily boggled.

And I didn't say it covers all of it, just that it's a better method than the OP and much easier to understand. Do you think players should - or should not, understand when and why they can expect to rank up?

The qualifier, week off, 10 days, DNF, same division, blah, blah FUCKING BLAH! Is a complicated bunch of gobbeldy-gook that confuses players and only serves to make the person who designed it feel smart.

Look at football or baseball, who gets into the post season - the teams with the best win/loss record. This shit isn't complicated.

Maybe it would be better if we factored in the travel distance for the teams and the total team salary and the fucking gameday weather before deciding who really deserves to make the playoffs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Team SWAT should be win/loss based. Individual scoring hurts that playlist greatly.

And every other playlist with individual scoring other than rumble pit.

Why does it have to be terrible? You are assuming its just not weighted fairly; but the OP is suggesting a system that rewards heavily for wins and helps soften loss if you did well. I think that if you win, everyone on your team should receive the same number of 'ranking points'. But if you lose, the players who performed worst should be punished. Especially with receiving points for everything from assists to vehicle destruction to objective play. A person on a losing team in a flag game who scored 2 flags, went +15, and had 15 assists should not be punished the same way the as the person with 0 seconds flag time, -5, and 8 assists. 

So heres the key: to prevent people from stat-whoring, you only rank up upon wins, and your stats have no impact on how much you rank up from that win. But if you try your ass off, be a good teammate, and still lose, you should lose rank, but not as much rank as your teammates.

You still are under the delusion that you can stat trying to find who is "working their ass off".  You assume that k/d is an accurate measure of which player on the team is being "a good teammate" that is trying his "ass off".  It could (and often is) a common occurrence for a player to have a worse k/d assists ratio but still do more for their team.  It is more common for a separation of players such as -3 and -6 (where k/d is alone cannot accurately determine who did more) than it is for a separation like -3, -17 where in 99.99% of cases the player who went -3 obviously did more for his team.  Like I said- individual csr is decent for when there is a massive difference in skill between players, but if there isn't than trying to stat the game will only make it worse.

It does not matter at all whether your individual csr only takes place on the losing team- all what that means is that stat whores will be rewarded on the losing team.  So if you are losing a game of CTF you might as well say "fuck it" and just try and pad your k/d instead of helping your teammate capture a flag by distracting his pursuers.

Just take out all the excess garbage, and I agree jermoesix that simpler is better- to determine whether the previous game had a positive or negative effect on your placing should be as simple as knowing whether you won or loss.