Sign in to follow this  
TheSpinCycle

Shotgun or Scattershot? (Or something else?)

Shotgun or Scattershot?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you rather have in competitive settings if we had to pick one?

• Shotgun
    • Scattershot
  2. 2. What timer / spare clips do you think the Shotgun should be on if it had to be included in competitive settings?

• 30s, 0sc
    • 60s, 0sc
    • 90s, 0sc
    • 120s, 0sc
    • 150s, 0sc
    • 180s+, 0sc
    • 60s, 1sc
    • 90s, 1sc
    • 120s, 1sc
    • 150s, 1sc
    • 180s+, 1sc
    • 90s, 2sc
    • 120s, 2sc
    • 150s, 2sc
    • 180s+, 2sc
  3. 3. What timer / spare clips do you think the Scattershot should be on if it had to be included in competitive settings?

• 30s, 0sc
    • 60s, 0sc
    • 90s, 0sc
    • 120s, 0sc
    • 150s, 0sc
    • 180s+, 0sc
    • 60s, 1sc
    • 90s, 1sc
    • 120s, 1sc
    • 150s, 1sc
    • 180s+, 1sc
    • 90s, 2sc
    • 120s, 2sc
    • 150s, 2sc
    • 180s+, 2sc
  4. 4. Which CQC weapons do you think are viable in competitive settings? (choose as many as you want)

• Shotgun
    • Scattershot
    • Boltshot
    • Energy Sword
    • Gravity Hammer

Just curious about everybody's opinions on Scattershot vs Shotgun and the other CQC weapons (Boltshot, etc) since Ghost just mentioned he was going to test the Shotgun.

Shotgun isn't as random as the scattershot. I can get 4 shots into someone and they wont die from the SC and sometimes you can snipe people with the SC. Energy sword could be competitive just like in H2.

i'll take the scattershot because its random and randomness inherently takes more skill as proven by the BR

:lol:

OP: boltshot>

Despite the hate for it as a loadout weapon, the boltshot is probably the most skillful and balanced CQC weapon. Nonetheless, shotgun or grav hammer could be good. I think sword is overpowered with sprint and no radar (in competitive use).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Despite the hate for it as a loadout weapon, the boltshot is probably the most skillful and balanced CQC weapon. Nonetheless, shotgun or grav hammer could be good. I think sword is overpowered with sprint and no radar (in competitive use).

Grav hammer is in the same category as Sword, it has a minimum of 10 swings I believe as it isn't an ammo based weapon.

Boltshot works, too. That's what the EU scene currently uses in place of Scatter.

Grav hammer is in the same category as Sword, it has a minimum of 10 swings I believe as it isn't an ammo based weapon.

Boltshot works, too. That's what the EU scene currently uses in place of Scatter.

Yeah but the Hammer has much less lunge and has can knock opponents out of range (sometimes a bad thing). Overall I think it has more of a skillgap than the sword.

Yeah but the Hammer has much less lunge and has can knock opponents out of range (sometimes a bad thing). Overall I think it has more of a skillgap than the sword.

True, but still has 10 minimum swings which automatically makes it worse than something you can control like Shotgun/Boltshot ammo.

Boltshot or nothing. Sword and Gravy both have uncontrollable ammo(and sprinting with sword is BS), Scatter is too random, and this is the first game where the shotgun is truly a bit OP. Personally, if we could choose from any game, I'd prefer the Mauler, but Boltshot fills the role well enough.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Too weak as a pickup, too strong as a loadout weapon. If they kept the old range and only had it as a pickup it'd be just fine.

But it still works well at CQC range, pre patch BS was too OP, you could 1 hit kill someone from so far away. IMO I think it's balanced quite well now, especially as you control when to charge it up and  have the ability to conserve ammo by YY'ing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Shotgun is overpowered on LAN and has 6 rounds, compared to the Scattershot's 5 rounds

Even though you are not slowed down if shot while sprinting with the Energy Sword out, it still sucks because everyone can 2 shot beatdown you with the Battle Rifle

The Halo 2 Energy Sword would be the best option if sprint could be removed from the competitive settings

With all of that considered, I think the Scattershot on a dynamic 2 minute timer with 0 or 1 spare clips is the best option

If there wasn't sprint i'd be fine with the sword or even the hammer being in competitive, but seems like people get a frenzy with the sword as soon as they pick it up cuz sprint. 

True, but still has 10 minimum swings which automatically makes it worse than something you can control like Shotgun/Boltshot ammo.

I thought the Hammer used energy every time is swings regardless of killing anyone. Also I feel like the hammer is rather weak. Has much less range than sword and even if you swing when your reticle is red you still have a chance of not killing.

I thought the Hammer used energy every time is swings regardless of killing anyone. Also I feel like the hammer is rather weak. Has much less range than sword and even if you swing when your reticle is red you still have a chance of not killing.

While this is true, do you really want to see Gravity Hammer in Throwdown? With Sprint? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

While this is true, do you really want to see Gravity Hammer in Throwdown? With Sprint? 

I dont even think its that useful as a melee weapon. But it could be used to help your team mates make sweet jumps or you could use it to make your Flag carrier faster or create routes for him. Im not saying for sure use it, but I would like to see it tested.

Shotgun isn't as random as the scattershot. I can get 4 shots into someone and they wont die from the SC and sometimes you can snipe people with the SC. Energy sword could be competitive just like in H2.

It'd be nice to see the sword but it doesn't work with sprint, just look how bad it was on v3 simplex. If sprint was removed, sword would be a great CQC weapon. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is everyone voting for such a long timer on a zero clip scattershot? It's a completely situational weapon that is inconsistent even within it's intended range, if anything it should be on a quick 60 second timer or have more ammo.

Also, I don't understand why the shotgun is considered "OP." It has short range and a slow firerate, players are punished when they miss, unlike the H4 sniper which doesn't even descope, and you get four tries to hit from across map before reloading for another four. If you missed shots with the shotgun, you'd maybe get two off if you were lucky but in a competitive setting I'm sure you'd get punished for missing just one shot. I think the shotgun is highly balanced and highly situational comparatively to the sniper which apparently we need to have two of on multiple maps.

I'd say shotgun with zero spare clips is highly viable as a power weapon and much more worth picking up. I'd say 60 seconds. But honestly I think it's worth testing one on a longer timer with one spare clip. I think people just don't like it because they get pissy when all they are thinking about is their mad BR skill and then get popped with a shotgun in the face. A team with good communication and strategic thinking should have a much easier time handling an opponent with a 12 shot shotgun than a 12 shot sniper with no descope (because, heads up, a shotgun is worthless outside of a few feet).

as for the rest of the options, I think they are all viable for testing. The grav hammer and Boltshot both aren't very powerful but could be useful on the right map in the right frequencey. The sword is tricky with sprint, but then again, we shouldn't have sprint should we?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Boltshot all the way.  Requires the most skill out of any of these to use since you have to charge it up and is not inconsistent like the scattershot.  The scattershot isn't inconsistent on lan as much but online it's just a fucking pain to deal with.

scattershot sux online

• Upvote (+1) 1