CyReN

AGL Closes Down & Statement

just a thought... After everything AGL did for the Halo community do they deserve the credibility of saving halo? Because the only reason AGL didnt make enough money is because halo 4 sucked. but if halo 4 was good MLG would have picked it up and we wouldnt need AGL. So either way AGL made a bad decision to host Halo 4 tournies in the first place. And Halo 4 fucked AGL up and everyone else. Some of it was AGL's fault but having a bad game to begin with doesn't really help the situation eiher...

What issue did they have that was game based?

People not liking the game, therefore less team passes sold?

The issue at hand here is that they continued to hold tournaments promising prize money and payouts - when they couldnt apparently afford it.  It was also pretty shady (imo) of them to lower the prices of passes to 100 dollars and then cancel the event.. seemed like a cash grab at this point.  I also have seen no talks about refunds to the people who bought passes for an event that never happened.

You cant pin all the shady activity on Halo 4 lol, when you run tournaments like this I would imagine it becomes pretty clear after a few events if it has enough community support to sustain itself...  Dont promise someone 2-3-5k for first and then not pay out for 6 months, meanwhile stacking even more events on top of it digging yourself into a deeper hole. 

Its pretty much a mess at this point, and I would be very surprised if anyone sees any money / Brad ever resurfaces. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Even if Halo 4 was great I think MLG would've still dropped it.  CoD is much more popular because it's easier.  The Dev support is there as well.  Even if Halo 5 is outstanding it would take 343 working with MLG to get it back on the circuit.  IMO Halo's days with MLG are over and if 343 keeps pumping out this garbage, Halo will die a slow death.  For those of us who were around for the glory days then we will have those memories.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Even if Halo 4 was great I think MLG would've still dropped it.  CoD is much more popular because it's easier.  The Dev support is there as well.  Even if Halo 5 is outstanding it would take 343 working with MLG to get it back on the circuit.  IMO Halo's days with MLG are over and if 343 keeps pumping out this garbage, Halo will die a slow death.  For those of us who were around for the glory days then we will have those memories.

Which is why they should follow in Riot's and Valve's footsteps and host their own tournaments regularly. Fully depending on outside leagues for their game to be competitively successful is no longer smart. Developers controlling the destiny of their game will ensure a longer-lasting experience. MLG even dropped Starcraft II and LoL, and they blindly dropped Black Ops 2 for Ghosts before even playing the game.

After the H4 GC, I don't mind putting my trust in 343 for a reliable flow of competitive tournaments if they're up for it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Looking at the "Untitled Document" at the top almost makes me think that this was a masterful plan from Brad to steal money from people lawl

I wouldn't put it past him. 

He is probably funneling the money that he should be paying the pros into bonafide boarding, its like walts car wash except not in the millions....

• Upvote (+1) 1

He is probably funneling the money that he should be paying the pros into bonafide boarding, its like walts car wash except not in the millions....

That is actually the worst analogy ever. Walt was using the car wash to launder "dirty" drug money by making it seem like legitimate transactions at the car wash, making the money "clean." What Brad did was take "steal" money, and use it to invest into his other projects. I am sure his intentions were to eventually pay everyone off when one of the "businesses" succeeded, what he didn't anticipate is that they were all shit ideas.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That is actually the worst analogy ever. Walt was using the car wash to launder "dirty" drug money by making it seem like legitimate transactions at the car wash, making the money "clean." What Brad did was take "steal" money, and use it to invest into his other projects. I am sure his intentions were to eventually pay everyone off when one of the "businesses" succeeded, what he didn't anticipate is that they were all shit ideas.

LOL its a comparison of a tv show and some college dropout trying to run a video game league. chill.

LOL its a comparison of a tv show and some college dropout trying to run a video game league. chill.

It is not a comparison at all... Because Walt was not funneling money into the car wash to make it successful, he was doing so to make his money legit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

what he didn't anticipate is that they were all shit ideas.

Funny cuz everyone else did. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's our point.  That's what we were trying to do.  We didn't charge AGL anything for the first 2 AGL's because of the promise they would help get the players to purchase laser tag.  Didn't work out that way (can't blame that on them, it just didn't work out how either of us predicted) so when we wanted to charge a $6 venue fee they moved to Michigan, Atlanta, and Indy.

For now we're just running recreational type tournaments.  Smash Bros, Injustice, heck even a Halo 1 Tournament in Nov on old tube TV's and original Xboxes.

If we can be of help to keep this game (or Halo 3) alive until Halo 5, we'll always do our part.

I was originally going to respond to a different post but saw this one after a few more pages of reading... You guys are really throwing a Halo CE tournament using CRTVs? Where can I find some info? I'm actually a little disappointed that I'm just hearing about this now.

I messaged you guys a few times about hosting a Halo CE tournament during one of your other events, or an AGL event. You guys sounded interested but once I sent a more detailed message I haven't heard anything back. There were just 14-20 players from around the US who just dished out dumb money to go play a week long Halo CE lan on the beach, I'm sure you can get some who can commit to a weekend tournament.

If you wanted to have a serious Halo CE tournament it would need a lot more prep work and marketing. Majority of the Halo CE community do not follow anything current when it comes to consoles or the halo series. Whenever I reach out to old Halo 1 players that I find it's always through a twitter account that has 2 tweets 0 followers.

I got my refund today from Brad. Maybe its cause I filed a dispute on my paypal or maybe cause he actually sent them out...idk

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm still completely baffled at this whole thing. 

I'm just a viewer, but wow I feel so bad for anyone who has gave AGL a dime of their money.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you havent filed a claim with paypal yet, I highly recommend you do so haha.

@@Hymae  you better have it off while you use the forums!  :gandhi:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I got my refund today from Brad. Maybe its cause I filed a dispute on my paypal or maybe cause he actually sent them out...idk

I didn't file one yet, but was refunded for a few spectator passes that I purchased a little bit ago. Not sure if there was a problem with Paypal or Brad actually refunded the money.

If you havent filed a claim with paypal yet, I highly recommend you do so haha.

@@Hymae  you better have it off while you use the forums!  :gandhi:

Bro, you know it son. I'm all about dem Beyond Ads!!

And you better keep it off while your always over at http://www.glazelife.com

*Dat Plug* :ninja:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Which is why they should follow in Riot's and Valve's footsteps and host their own tournaments regularly. Fully depending on outside leagues for their game to be competitively successful is no longer smart. Developers controlling the destiny of their game will ensure a longer-lasting experience. MLG even dropped Starcraft II and LoL, and they blindly dropped Black Ops 2 for Ghosts before even playing the game.

After the H4 GC, I don't mind putting my trust in 343 for a reliable flow of competitive tournaments if they're up for it.

I honestly think Halo needs dev run tournaments like this to survive in the future. MLG has become a popularity contest and a platform used by Publishers to advertisise games more than sticking with games for the long haul(I guess you could say MLG was always kind of like this but still) and there is just not a huge national tournament scene for console shooters outside of MLG. I really think its time for the devs and community to work something like a "Halo league" of sorts out that would be part online/LAN so there is a stable competitve scene for Halo in the future and a trusting relationship can be formed. Like there could be a "Halo tournament play-list" in which teams could earn points online(with dedi servers now mind you) and qualify for these events as well as having a Halo season with lets say 250k given out over 6-8 events culminating in a grand final "Halo world championships" tournament held by 343/MS. 

its a long shot that something like this happens, but a "seasonal" route with online interaction/exposure would be a sure way to revive competitve Halo and allow easy access for the general population to get involved thus bringing in new people to the scene. The way I see it throwing one big 250k tournament(H4GC) is not doing much to sustain a community and interest but a "seasonal" format would definitely do that. A guy can dream cant he?  :P

I honestly think Halo needs dev run tournaments like this to survive in the future. MLG has become a popularity contest and a platform used by Publishers to advertisise games more than sticking with games for the long haul(I guess you could say MLG was always kind of like this but still) and there is just not a huge national tournament scene for console shooters outside of MLG. I really think its time for the devs and community to work something like a "Halo league" of sorts out that would be part online/LAN so there is a stable competitve scene for Halo in the future and a trusting relationship can be formed. Like there could be a "Halo tournament play-list" in which teams could earn points online(with dedi servers now mind you) and qualify for these events as well as having a Halo season with lets say 250k given out over 6-8 events culminating in a grand final "Halo world championships" tournament held by 343/MS. 

its a long shot that something like this happens, but a "seasonal" route with online interaction/exposure would be a sure way to revive competitve Halo and allow easy access for the general population to get involved thus bringing in new people to the scene. The way I see it throwing one big 250k tournament(H4GC) is not doing much to sustain a community and interest but a "seasonal" format would definitely do that. A guy can dream cant he?  :P

this is a bit off topic but that is one of my criticism of MLG. They seemed to just jump from one popular game to the next. MLG has reached the point where its just a platform where devs can advertise their games to get competitive players to play.

At one point it was all about Halo then it was all about Starcraft. Which I had no problem with cause Starcraft takes a great amount of skill. However as soon as competitive CoD finally become big MLG has jumped on that train and SC2 is not gonna be at Columbus.

I mean if this business model MLG going to take where they just jump from one popular game to the next then can they really be considered a league or just a company that runs tournaments for popular games.

With all that said I hope MLG picks up Halo.