2. Halo GC

3. UMG

4. VGL 

5. PGL

6. CGL

9000000000. AGL

:unclesudd:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can I just say that Brad seemed to have been the more understanding and competent of the two. Billy always came across as arrogant and cocky. He was the one who had pushed for those showgirls for example.

Dood, he just got the Brazilian

• Upvote (+1) 1

OFFICIAL HALO TOURNAMENT POWER RANKINGS

1. CGL

2. MLG

3. Halo GC

4. UMG

5. VGL 

6. PGL

9000000000. AGL

Fixed  :unclesudd:

• Upvote (+1) 2

OFFICIAL HALO TOURNAMENT POWER RANKINGS

1. MLG

2. Halo GC

3. UMG

4. VGL

5. PGL

6. CGL

N/A

:kappa:
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Not holding my breath towards sunnyD cause after the UMG issue and he making fun of it and stuff kind of is maing me feel odd about him but I hope he'll do the right thing and maybe at Columbus he makes annoucement or even heck on that new show he's  doing on MLG site the Esport report we might see or hear something? Columbus is what 21 to the 23 of next month right?

It's worth pointing out that after the UMG thing Sundance did donate $640 to the charity the event was supporting (if I was understanding the information on the list of donors correctly it looked like he matched the existing total and then put a bit more in). Any jabs he was taking weren't at the event itself, but rather the wave of people who decided to jump on the "MLG is shutting down a competitor" bandwagon without having any way of actually knowing.

Anyway, I think that if MLG can help they will. I'd imagine that they might be able to provide a venue and some administrative stuff, but the rest would need to be handled by the community.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My Idea:

If 64 Guaranteed teams at 100 dollars a pass.

No money via paypal/online transfer, all paid at the door. (even if online, 100% refundable and not touched unless the event became reality)

Venue would have to be cool with taking the payment after the event. (And would have to take 2500 at most as payment)

$2500 payout; which makes it more appealing to at least those in the same region. (cash at end of event)

The remaining money would be for extra equipment (streaming) and labor maybe.

I will literally run this as locally, cheaply and effficently as I can with whatever volunteered help may come, for no profit. I just want to seem my community come together.

(Oh, but if possible I'd wanna compete; watching people play isn't as fun as playing yourself :P)

To be honest to me it doesn't sound like a tournament, It sounds like a big LAN with everyone putting bets on themselves.

As for hotel/lodging, well there are always the cheap hotels, and you can get group rates or literally share rooms with other teams.

There's a lot of sacrifice necessary for a tournament to happen; and it's unlikely sponsors will ever jump aboard for such a small event, but I think it's possible at least.

(edit: would be farther down the line of course, or as soon as 64 teams can be locked in and have positions held for them)

I am sorry if the term "buffoons" offended you - I figured buffoon was a better alternative from what I was really thinking.

Your report has been noted.

The name calling didn't offend me at all.  What bothered me with that particular post was that it gave me the perception that the sites rules against bashing are conditional based upon both who was being bashed, and who was doing the bashing.  I don't even like or agree with the rule, personally, but if it's a rule then it should be enforced consistently, and staff members should most definitely follow that rule.  I essentially explained that when I reported it.

TLDR - I reported it out of fairness to all of the other members that have been warned/banned for bashing, not because I was personally offended by you referring to them as buffoons.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

My Idea:

No money via paypal/online transfer, all paid at the door.

Venue would have to be cool with taking the payment after the event. (And would have to take 2500 at most as payment)

$2500 payout; which makes it more appealing to at least those in the same region.

I will literally run this as locally, cheaply and effficently as I can with whatever volunteered help may come, for no profit. I just want to seem my community come together.

(Oh, but if possible I'd wanna compete; watching people play isn't as fun as playing yourself :P)

To be honest to me it doesn't sound like a tournament, It sounds like a big LAN with everyone putting bets on themselves.

As for hotel/lodging, well there are always the cheap hotels, and you can get group rates or literally share rooms with other teams.

There's a lot of sacrifice necessary for a tournament to happen; and it's unlikely sponsors will ever jump aboard for such a small event, but I think it's possible at least.

Keeping that much money in the venue with over 250 people there is a bad idea

Keeping that much money in the venue with over 250 people there is a bad idea

If it's a reputable venue, there's little chance of robbery if that's what you're implying. Plus cash is the only way to completely guarantee payout. Plus it'd be more fulfilling to get paid then and there than have to wait for weeks. I don't know if there's any legal issues there but it's an attempt.

I don't think there are any legal issues, but you would have to worry about money getting stolen and people getting jumped outside of the venue. Probably would need some kind of security. Just something to think about.

My Idea:

No money via paypal/online transfer, all paid at the door. (even if online, 100% refundable and not touched unless the event became reality)

$2500 payout; which makes it more appealing to at least those in the same region. (cash at end of event)

(edit: would be farther down the line of course, or as soon as 64 teams can be locked in and have positions held for them)

In all honesty, and maybe this is just because we would rather the community strive than to make a bunch of money...  but I think making what the venue makes dependent on the attendance is an idea that makes sense if it's in a LAN Center.   Obviously if it's a convention center or hotel, they won't care.   But if it's in a LAN Center, this motivates the venue to help market and use any resources to bring in whatever local scene they may have.

For instance, at Knox... we always had at least 10-12 local teams that were almost guaranteed to show up if we got the word out to them.

A flat rate is nice, because it is a guarantee that the venue will get paid... but, I think what we were trying to do would have worked as well.  (Around $6 per person is $24 per team.  X 60 teams = $1440... whereas if the event flopped; $24 per team X 24 teams = $576.)

^ Allows for the payout to still remain as large as possible even if the event as a whole is a flop.

I don't think there are any legal issues, but you would have to worry about money getting stolen and people getting jumped outside of the venue. Probably would need some kind of security. Just something to think about.

Which would all be possible to rack into the additional costs.

The contracts is just the main reason. Other reasons would be paying legal fees putting yourself more and more in the hole for just a chance to win. The only reason to sue would be to bring Brad to justice.

False you can sue for fraud and on the basis of

Promissory Estoppel

In the law of contracts, the doctrine that provides that if a party changes his or her position substantially either by acting or forbearing from acting in reliance upon a gratuitous promise, then that party can enforce the promise although the essential elements of a contract are not present.

Thus buying of a team pass is the contract (just as if you bought a product at a store), since ALL the players (not just the pros who are owed prizes, but also the players who boughts passes) reasonably relied on the tournaments happening (the promise of the opportunity to compete in order to win a prize) and the winners reasonably relied on getting paid they can sue to enforce the promise even if not stated in the contract.......LET ME BE CLEAR: ANY time something is sold, a contract is formed, and the contract does NOT have to be in writing or on paper if the value of the purchase does NOT exceed $500. This applies since the passes were priced under $500.

This is coming from a guy who just got an A in his Contract law class

The only thing im not quite sure of off the top of my head is if players can be refunded for travel costs...i know that if you bought a plane ticket or hotel and you are UNDER the age of 18 they (being the hotel or airline you purchased from) HAVE to refund you if you want it, in exchange for the ticket/room back. I want to say that all players could sue AGL for their travel costs under Promissory Estoppel since you changed you changed your position substantially by purchasing travel accommodations (changed position as in decided to go to the event from originally not going to anything) and by purchasing the travel accommodations on the reliance that the tournament was indeed going to happen.

Just trying to help, anything else?

• Upvote (+1) 2

In all honesty, and maybe this is just because we would rather the community strive than to make a bunch of money...  but I think making what the venue makes dependent on the attendance is an idea that makes sense if it's in a LAN Center.   Obviously if it's a convention center or hotel, they won't care.   But if it's in a LAN Center, this motivates the venue to help market and use any resources to bring in whatever local scene they may have.

For instance, at Knox... we always had at least 10-12 local teams that were almost guaranteed to show up if we got the word out to them.

A flat rate is nice, because it is a guarantee that the venue will get paid... but, I think what we were trying to do would have worked as well.  (Around $6 per person is $24 per team.  X 60 teams = $1440... whereas if the event flopped; $24 per team X 24 teams = $576.)

^ Allows for the payout to still remain as large as possible even if the event as a whole is a flop.

Well then a LAN center would have to be willing to make sacrifices, but as a business they most likely wouldn't be open to the idea. It'd either have to be a privately hosted event, or at a LAN center with compassion and will to do the previous.

Lets just team up with the Smash players and hold huge events

Someone watched the documentary  :maven:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm glad they're not able to do it here, and I wasn't attempting to paint the picture that everyone is doing it.  However, the sense I get is that a lot of people think it's funny to do that, and somehow an appropriate course of action given the perceived/actual wrongdoing.  That state of mind is what I was referencing more so than the acts themselves.  Also, the fact that bashing Brad and other members of AGL is acceptable while bashing members of 343 is not acceptable seems very inconsistent to me.

My grip is firm, thanks.

AGL is run by a shady person who is screwing people out of money. 343i made a video game that we just happen not to like. Big difference. Like i said before, the people who are doing/think it's acceptable to do so are the minority. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone watched the documentary  :maven:

Such an amazing series man. But seriously, If they can do it why not the Halo community? It really hit home how similar the 2 communities actually are.

They had Melee which was this amazing competitive game for them - and I remember they said the newest Smash Bros released which was Brawl.  It was literally shocking how much relation I felt when the guy said:  " We got the midnight release of Brawl and it was just slow, like Nintendo purposely tried to cut the competitive merit from the game"  and a lot of them reverted back to Melee and held tournaments.  Smash was also dropped from MLG and still continues to run tournaments to this day!  Idk why everyone thinks its out of reach - just need legit, reliable people running things.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well then a LAN center would have to be willing to make sacrifices, but as a business they most likely wouldn't be open to the idea. It'd either have to be a privately hosted event, or at a LAN center with compassion and will to do the previous.

That's our point.  That's what we were trying to do.  We didn't charge AGL anything for the first 2 AGL's because of the promise they would help get the players to purchase laser tag.  Didn't work out that way (can't blame that on them, it just didn't work out how either of us predicted) so when we wanted to charge a $6 venue fee they moved to Michigan, Atlanta, and Indy.

For now we're just running recreational type tournaments.  Smash Bros, Injustice, heck even a Halo 1 Tournament in Nov on old tube TV's and original Xboxes.

If we can be of help to keep this game (or Halo 3) alive until Halo 5, we'll always do our part.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Promissory Estoppel

In the law of contracts, the doctrine that provides that if a party changes his or her position substantially either by acting or forbearing from acting in reliance upon a gratuitous promise, then that party can enforce the promise although the essential elements of a contract are not present.

Thus buying of a team pass is the contract (just as if you bought a product at a store), since ALL the players (not just the pros who are owed prizes, but also the players who boughts passes) reasonably relied on the tournaments happening (the promise of the opportunity to compete in order to win a prize) and the winners reasonably relied on getting paid they can sue to enforce the promise even if not stated in the contract.......LET ME BE CLEAR: ANY time something is sold, a contract is formed, and the contract does NOT have to be in writing or on paper if the value of the purchase does NOT exceed $500. This applies since the passes were priced under $500.

The only thing im not quite sure of off the top of my head is if players can be refunded for travel costs...i know that if you bought a plane ticket or hotel and you are UNDER the age of 18 they (being the hotel or airline you purchased from) HAVE to refund you if you want it, in exchange for the ticket/room back. I want to say that all players could sue AGL for their travel costs under Promissory Estoppel since you changed you changed your position substantially by purchasing travel accommodations (changed position as in decided to go to the event from originally not going to anything) and by purchasing the travel accommodations on the reliance that the tournament was indeed going to happen.

SAM-JACKSON-CLAPPING-GIF.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

Promissory Estoppel

Yes but if AGL declares bankruptcy during a civil suit, they would easily be granted Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Anyone suing them would most likely end up losing more money.

That's our point.  That's what we were trying to do.  We didn't charge AGL anything for the first 2 AGL's because of the promise they would help get the players to purchase laser tag.  Didn't work out that way (can't blame that on them, it just didn't work out how either of us predicted) so when we wanted to charge a $6 venue fee they moved to Michigan, Atlanta, and Indy.

For now we're just running recreational type tournaments.  Smash Bros, Injustice, heck even a Halo 1 Tournament in Nov on old tube TV's and original Xboxes.

If we can be of help to keep this game (or Halo 3) alive until Halo 5, we'll always do our part.

Can we talk about this idea please? I'll literally do everything I can to make this a reality (well within the parameters of still meeting school requirements, and not missing too much work :)]