CyReN

AGL Closes Down & Statement

First genuine event for a lot of people and it falls to shit.

Shite news for all involved.

How is anyone surprised or even angry by this? Agl was shady since their first tournament where they gave special treatment to certain teams. How can you grow when new players don't think the tournament is ran honestly? Also the players not getting paid continued to go to tournaments... I kinda feel bad for 343 being desperate enough to support this company.

I don't blame agl for canceling. They wouldn't be able to pay 10k if less than twenty teams show. And then they would still get hate even if they ran it. At least this way they didn't take even more money from players.

I think we all are hoping that MLG is able to make something happen, but I am not going to hold my breath on it.  Would be awesome though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The real question is: Will MLG provide chairs? :o

NnoGhN1.gif

well id bring my own chair if they actually hosted an event..fuck a chair, id rather stand or sit on the ground than go to an AGL event.

Even though how incompetent AGL is, the halo community really needs them. Even if halo 5 is a success I doubt MLG will pick halo back up. With MLG's contract of having COD as its only FPS title, they will never pick halo over COD. 

Even though how incompetent AGL is, the halo community really needs them. Even if halo 5 is a success I doubt MLG will pick halo back up. With MLG's contract of having COD as its only FPS title, they will never pick halo over COD. 

TBH I would rather have no Halo events than have to deal with AGL again. Lets just all forget about AGL and move on. 

Hey AGL, you know that thing called gambling?

You know, where you risk money on venues that don't even exist yet?

Yeah.

It's dumb, next time, put you're money where you know it's safe. 

That would be great.

I don't think anyone expects MLG to pick up Halo 3. It would definitely be Halo 3. I doubt Sundance has any interest in running an H4 event where nobody notable would show. If anything happens (and its a big if), it would probably be a one time throwback type event. That said, there seems to be someone affiliated with Gamers for Giving looking to do something. Gandhi also seems to be up to something...I guess we will see.

https://twitter.com/ZachWigal/statuses/393948844846612480

Yeah, that is the founder of Gamers Outreach haha. Yes we will have Halo at G4G 2014 which will be in February, and are planning a LAN in the Michigan/Chicago area soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

WTF IS THIS! Does AGL realize they are in major trouble and can be litigated for this? They might have to recompense at LEAST travel expenditure.

How unprofessional can you be? This is beyond unbelievable.

IF, and only IF you find yourself in a predicament of losing a venue a week ahead of time, which professional people would NEVER let happen

YOU FIND ANOTHER VENUE. Idc if its in your mothers basement and its streaming only one monitor. Make it happen. Thats what efficient and professionals do.

I will be fair and am interested in the story of the other side, though.

There may be a side to their story, however it's really unprofessional that they would let this news leak out without making an official announcement. It's really disrespectful to the players and fans. 

I feel bad for everyone who bought a plane ticket.  A hotel reservation can still be cancelled with full refund, however you can almost never get a refund on a flight.  With that being said, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a team pass and/or plane ticket to an AGL when they don't even pay their players.  What are you playing for?  Pride in a game that's 7 years old, or pride in the worst Halo game to date?

Still no official announcement? messed up.

and Brutus is one of the nicest guys in the community, hate seeing this shit.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Hello Halo Community,

We sincerely regret to inform you that AGL 10 Indianapolis is no longer being held. The event scheduled for November 1-3 in Indianapolis will no longer be going on. The reasoning behind the event cancellation is venue complications/issues. The hotel emailed us and informed us that they cannot meet our power requirements for an event of our size. Why it took so long for them to contact us with this important matter is completely irresponsible. Marriott is an established chain and this is the last worry that we had when booking the ballroom because we specified the requirements in the contract agreement. Marriott said, “We do not have a power supply to accommodate your needs.”

There can be a replacement event if the community so chooses in December.

With that being said, we know that this cancellation will make some of you upset. We cannot please everyone. For a very long time we have tried to please everyone and it just never seems to pan out. We have done everything in our power to make this event happen and unfortunately, the logistics are not adding up primarily due to the hotel last minute power allocation issues.

Thank you for your time and cooperation and we look forward to seeing everyone out at this event.

Sincerely yours,

Arena Gaming

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 141

The best way to make sure this never happens again, is to stop focusing on one organization to make Halo events and be done with AGL. In the FGC, when players are not paid, the tournament gets blacklisted. They have a lot more tournaments, but going to an event with all this type of stuff, is probably worse off. The management is obviously not good, and even though they came in at a time to host 9 events since 2012, I think they still have too much to learn. They are the type of kids who need some more help from veterans, and people who are more grounded and professional.

Also, it's quite sad that as soon as AGL failed, people are crying and praying for MLG to save us. We literally have handicapped Halo by being so reliant on organizations to host tournaments that we always end up going back to doing the same thing, a cycle that we have been through for over a decade.

The current state of Halo needs a change, on a level that isn't trying to be a MLG. We are not going to have big prize pools. We are not going to have good viewing numbers or amazing attendance at events. Right now, grassroots is what we are and that's what we need to start acting like, or we're always going to be losing money.

• Upvote (+1) 6

WTF IS THIS! Does AGL realize they are in major trouble and can be litigated for this? They might have to recompense at LEAST travel expenditure.

How unprofessional can you be? This is beyond unbelievable.

They can't be. No contract between AGL and the players. Them saying they will pay out doesn't count. Also, if somehow someone does successfully file a lawsuit, they can just declare bankruptcy. Wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Hello Halo Community,

We sincerely regret to inform you that AGL 10 Indianapolis is no longer being held. The event scheduled for November 1-3 in Indianapolis will no longer be going on. The reasoning behind the event cancellation is venue complications/issues. The hotel emailed us and informed us that they cannot meet our power requirements for an event of our size. Why it took so long for them to contact us with this important matter is completely irresponsible. Marriott is an established chain and this is the last worry that we had when booking the ballroom because we specified the requirements in the contract agreement. Marriott said, “We do not have a power supply to accommodate your needs.”

With that being said, we know that this cancellation will make some of you upset. We cannot please everyone. For a very long time we have tried to please everyone and it just never seems to pan out. We have done everything in our power to make this event happen and unfortunately, the logistics are not adding up primarily due to the hotel last minute power allocation issues.

Thank you for your time and cooperation and we look forward to seeing everyone out at this event.

Sincerely yours,

Arena Gaming

Honestly, I don't think anyone will request another event. Doesn't matter if any of this is true or not. It's over. Time to move on. #MovingForward
  • Upvote (+1) 8

In all honesty, they needed* to go back to Nashville. They've never had a problem at BFX.

• Downvote (-1) 4

ehh better late than never I guess. It sucks because I thought AGL was improving, so much work for nothing.

all we have now is a sliver of hope from Sundance for a one time event...

Hello Halo Community,

We sincerely regret to inform you that AGL 10 Indianapolis is no longer being held. The event scheduled for November 1-3 in Indianapolis will no longer be going on. The reasoning behind the event cancellation is venue complications/issues. The hotel emailed us and informed us that they cannot meet our power requirements for an event of our size. Why it took so long for them to contact us with this important matter is completely irresponsible. Marriott is an established chain and this is the last worry that we had when booking the ballroom because we specified the requirements in the contract agreement. Marriott said, “We do not have a power supply to accommodate your needs.”

Sincerely yours,

Arena Gaming

I'm not interested about the event shut down, in fact - not in the slightest.

What I do want to know is what you're doing for players who have paid for plane tickets to travel and bought team passes, will they be refunded entirely or will you be waiting six months to do it? 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Wait, what? Who exactly are you pleasing in this situation? Is there a small group of people telling you "Oh hey man, we're just really excited you cancelled the event a week before and screwed tons of people out of hundreds of dollars! Can't wait to see you in December!"

I've been saying it since day one, AGL will fail (and now it has failed) because the people running it are just simply incompetent  You even lack the mere professionalism required to successfully run a gaming league.  

And I assume it would be stupid of me to even ask if you're going to pay out the prizes you owe.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Great example of an overly-ambitious backyard business started by kids. I never expected much from the get-go.

• Upvote (+1) 7

AGL needs to be completely out of the Halo competitive scene for any chance of Halo being picked up by MLG, even if it is just one event.

• Upvote (+1) 5