Sign in to follow this  
DRAC0N1K

Why I fear for Halo 5

Regardless of the quality of the games?

It isn't like video gaming is dying, the opposite has happened, gaming has gone mainstream.

Halo will still sell, so people clearly haven't gotten "tired" of it, they've just been disappointed with the crap we've gotten. 

Will we ever get Halo 3's massive population long term again? Probably not, because Call of Duty is much more popular now then it was in 2008. But it doesn't mean that Halo 5 if it's good can't get a significant chunk. 

Not only that, but you got to think next-gen new IP's like Destiny, Titanfall, Black Tusk new IP, ect... if successful will stir things up a bit in the relatively stale MP console shooter market. 

The cover of the newest UK Xbox issue reads "Halo Utterly Destroyed By Bungie's Destiny" I have read that its mostly hyperbole to sell more copies of the magazine and Bungie never actually compares Halo and Destiny in the article but you got to think the Next-gen will bring some surprises regardless. 

I am going to end it at this: if I see "Hornets and fucking Falcons" in Halo 5 but not De-scoping, a competitive as can be ranking system and a spectator mode I am out.

100% with you my friend.

This is what scares me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2lQ4ZUqFs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUptNOWTizPKjnHYLydzUWbw

I will answer the questions in your mind now: No, he is not a troll, yes, he is serious.

Look at the views, the likes, the dislikes, the amount of subscribers, at his site and his twitter followers. Look at that, its more than anyone else has in the Halo community... It is revolting, it makes me nauseous to know that this kid believes what the Halo community wants most is "The Arbiter" and that he gets 40k views for it. This is disgusting, never before has it been so clear to me why Halo is dying. I am going to end it at this: if I see "Hornets and fucking Falcons" in Halo 5 but not De-scoping, a competitive as can be ranking system and a spectator mode I am out.

kill me now

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the world has just gotten tired of Halo, regardless of the quality of the games.

Time has passed and people have moved on. This isnt 2008 anymore; Halo, as a whole, has gotten old.

regardless of the quality of the games.

Cease to exist on this forum.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This.

Sure, give the casuals their new vehicles to play around with in their Machinimas and BTB but for the love of God, listen to the competitive community, too. We're the ones who will be playing their game 2 years down the road whereas casuals will move on to other games that have new, gimmicky shit that grabs their attention. 

Or in Halo 4's case we will be the only ones playing the game 2 years down the road. (Until Halo 5 comes)

Or in Halo 4's case we will be the only ones playing the game 2 years down the road. (Until Halo 5 comes)

What's Halo 4? I repressed that from my memory. 

Regardless of the quality of the games?

It isn't like video gaming is dying, the opposite has happened, gaming has gone mainstream.

Halo will still sell, so people clearly haven't gotten "tired" of it, they've just been disappointed with the crap we've gotten. 

Will we ever get Halo 3's massive population long term again? Probably not, because Call of Duty is much more popular now then it was in 2008. But it doesn't mean that Halo 5 if it's good can't get a significant chunk. 

Franchise fatigue is a thing, whether or not you believe that it is. Halo is a shooter that sticks out like a sore thumb in today's FPS market of RPGesque/squad/etc. shooters - however, because the games are SHIT rather than good, it sticks out in a poor way and magnifies Halo's waning interest. People don't play Halo for the gameplay anymore, they buy it for the story and then shelf it. 

Arena shooters are not popular anymore. Quake will never break the dam like it did a long time ago. 

Franchise fatigue is a thing, whether or not you believe that it is. Halo is a shooter that sticks out like a sore thumb in today's FPS market of RPGesque/squad/etc. shooters - however, because the games are SHIT rather than good, it sticks out in a poor way and magnifies Halo's waning interest. People don't play Halo for the gameplay anymore, they buy it for the story and then shelf it. 

Arena shooters are not popular anymore. Quake will never break the dam like it did a long time ago. 

Yeah I'm well aware of franchise fatigue, they really should stop with the releases every year.

I do still think Halo could reclaim its multiplayer fanbase if 343 was to come out with a good game, however with Halo 4 being a disappointment I doubt 343 will deliver.

Are you sure Quake can't make a comeback? Yeah it's known for being a hyper competitive title, but if they gave it lots of social features (like Broodwar), and it was marketed heavily (probably the most important part of bringing Quake back to life would be marketing), I think it could decently as a PC title. 

This is what scares me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2lQ4ZUqFs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUptNOWTizPKjnHYLydzUWbw

I will answer the questions in your mind now: No, he is not a troll, yes, he is serious.

Look at the views, the likes, the dislikes, the amount of subscribers, at his site and his twitter followers. Look at that, its more than anyone else has in the Halo community... It is revolting, it makes me nauseous to know that this kid believes what the Halo community wants most is "The Arbiter" and that he gets 40k views for it. This is disgusting, never before has it been so clear to me why Halo is dying. I am going to end it at this: if I see "Hornets and fucking Falcons" in Halo 5 but not De-scoping, a competitive as can be ranking system and a spectator mode I am out.

Your comment is what's nauseous.

I think the world has just gotten tired of Halo, regardless of the quality of the games.

Time has passed and people have moved on. This isnt 2008 anymore; Halo, as a whole, has gotten old.

Time has passed for the old trilogy, doesn't mean, 343 can't bring that feeling back. They catered to what they thought people wanted and as a result the majoirty of people left.

Your comment is what's nauseous.

Wow... I didn't know a comment could be nauseous, thx!

I still have hope for Halo 5. I knew what we would get at the launch of H4. I knew it would be a sub-standard game at launch from what 343 were saying in the months leading up to the game. All the talk about sprint, armour abilities and ordnance confirmed that H4 would be a continuation of the trend set by Reach.

But I think since then, things have changed pretty drastically. More so even than in Reach, the community let 343 know about its frustrations with the game, and what needed to be improved.to make it a decent competitive shooter. We needed a ranking system, updated weapons, better maps, updated playlists, a developer-run tournament. 343 delivered and brought us all of this (of sorts). The only things we still need in the game, is no sprint for some playlists, descope and a spectator mode. All of these things would be very difficult to implement into the game due to the extensive amount of manpower it would take to code it. But, the community has constantly made it clear that all of these things are needed, and the next opportunity for 343 to fix these flaws would be to implement them at the launch of Halo 5.

Don't expect sprint, armour abilities and ordnance to disappear altogether, but I think they'll eliminate it from certain playlists for the traditional halo fans. The fact is, there are people who only started playing Halo from Reach onwards. So it would be bad for 343 to just eliminate these players altogether when making the next game. But as I said, the only way to keep everyone happy would be to have some playlists for the competitive players/casual players who loved Halo's 1-3, and some playlists for the casual players who like the new style of Halo that we saw in Reach and Halo 4. 

Halo 5 will be a good game. Trust me.

The industry has moved on and too much damage has been done to re-introduce classic Halo.

So Halo 3.5 would of sold less and held a lower population than Spartan Warfare(H4)? People would not of bought H4 if there was not sprint or weapon unlocks? The MP "features" matters very little to Halo's financial success as a franchise, the story and selling the lasting brand image is what draws most people in. The MP just needs to be a quality Halo MP experience, it does not need to re-invent the wheel just improve the gameplay of the franchise and provide improved functionality/community support an ideal the developers seem to struggle with.

The problem with Halo in the last years stems from the suits at Microsoft thinking they could sell a 12 year old Sci-fi Arena shooter to the MMS audience. 

Halo will have to blaze its own path and offer a quality alternative to the CoD's and BF's of the gaming world like it always has, it cannot beat be a half-ass fucked up Halo hybrid, its either they bring Halo back like they have been doing with the TU's and re-vitalize the core Halo MP audience, or keep on pushing the game on an audience that has rejected Halo MP before and will again. 

This is sadly a little true, I've actually heard people at my school say before "People still play Halo?" Duh!

I have felt for quite some time now that Halo just doesn't belong to my generation anymore. We had our "golden days" with Halo CE, Halo 2 and it all culminated perfectly with Halo 3 and the MLG scene. Reach and Halo 4 introduced a new crowd of younger gamers to Halo. Gamers that were - in all probability - too young to appreciate Halo 2/3 to the fullest. While these new gamers have come through, many older gamers from my generation (21-30 year olds mostly) have become disillusioned with the "new Halo", and feel like we should spend our time and money elsewhere on games that actually target our demographic and value our opinions and input.

Considering the fact that a large portion of this new generation of gamers makes up a considerable amount of the current Xbox Live population, and represents a large amount of consumer/buying power, I don't see 343 or Microsoft involving themself in the romantic notion that we can roll back a lot of controversial changes that came with Halo Reach/4, and all will be well again. I almost feel like it would be unfair for me to give my opinion more weight over a younger, "newer" Halo fan, because this feels like their trilogy, not mine. I still have CE, 2 and 3 to play. It feels like there's only so much you can do to push against the tide of progress, especially when it comes to this new Halo trilogy.

I have felt for quite some time now that Halo just doesn't belong to my generation anymore. We had our "golden days" with Halo CE, Halo 2 and it all culminated perfectly with Halo 3 and the MLG scene. Reach and Halo 4 introduced a new crowd of younger gamers to Halo. Gamers that were - in all probability - too young to appreciate Halo 2/3 to the fullest. While these new gamers have come through, many older gamers from my generation (21-30 year olds mostly) have become disillusioned with the "new Halo", and feel like we should spend our time and money elsewhere on games that actually target our demographic and value our opinions and input.

Considering the fact that a large portion of this new generation of gamers makes up a considerable amount of the current Xbox Live population, and represents a large amount of consumer/buying power, I don't see 343 or Microsoft involving themself in the romantic notion that we can roll back a lot of controversial changes that came with Halo Reach/4, and all will be well again. I almost feel like it would be unfair for me to give my opinion more weight over a younger, "newer" Halo fan, because this feels like their trilogy, not mine. I still have CE, 2 and 3 to play. It feels like there's only so much you can do to push against the tide of progress, especially when it comes to this new Halo trilogy.

I'm a senior in High School so I was able to enjoy the prime of Halo 3, I never really was able to play H2. Unfortunately. I hope Halo reverts to its old roots... :/

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Wow... I didn't know a comment could be nauseous, thx!

If you read William Strunk's The Elements of Style, you'll find that "nauseous" is a term used to describe something that incites nausea, so the next time someone says, "I'm feeling nauseous," you can laugh at them, feeling *superior* with the knowledge of grammar; you're welcome.

I'm a senior in High School so I was able to enjoy the prime of Halo 3, I never really was able to play H2. Unfortunately. I hope Halo reverts to its old roots... :/

Seniors in high school today are old enough to have played starting from halo c.e.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Seniors in high school today are old enough to have played starting from halo c.e.

And appreciate a game at 8?
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If you read William Strunk's The Elements of Style, you'll find that "nauseous" is a term used to describe something that incites nausea, so the next time someone says, "I'm feeling nauseous," you can laugh at them, feeling *superior* with the knowledge of grammar; you're welcome.

I googled it after I read the comment, you can use both. :D

I googled it after I read the comment, you can use both. :D

Proof that language has devolved.

I say the same thing whenever people say Halo Wars... Strange

I thought people liked Halo Wars? Never played it myself because I'm not into those type of games.

I'm always hearing "Halo Wars 2 plez"  -_-

Halo Wars was okay... It served it's purpose as an RTS on a console, but without the Halo franchised stamped onto it's title it would have been just as unpopular as every other RTS thats been released on console to date.  I think most people who have/or still do play Halo Wars are either the very few fans on console RTS's, just love the Halo franchise or are just playing it for gamer score.  I personally never caught on to playing it, and I've only ever touched the game a handful of times.  It would be nice to know the story that the game presents with itself, but it's almost not worth playing unless someone could thoroughly convince me to do it.  I think the reason why you hear so many people that are in the community still say they want a Halo Wars 2 is because they are just the same as the DIEHARD HALO FANS like the people who are still left playing the "Main" Halo games, but just want for their own game to finally have a sequel.

And appreciate a game at 8?

Yes.  I'm entering college this year and I've been playing since C.E. although perhaps I was only decent in halo 2.

• Downvote (-1) 1