Sign in to follow this  
DRAC0N1K

Why I fear for Halo 5

Besides Waypoint and Youtube and Beyond Entertainment being the prime voice in my opnion for the competitive community. Something struck me tonight.

Both Reach and Halo 4 brought in a new generation of Halo fans, some that probably have never touched the original trilogy. I know the famous saying in the Halo community, you can't make everyone happy. I feel the Halo community now is filled with both classic trilogy fans and Reach/Halo 4 fans. People argue that Personal Ordinace is fine and that Sprint works with Halo. Some people have even grown to hate MLG, but remember when MLG was televised on National TV, how many viewers it poured in? Remember how many people took off work just to watch top teams just as STR8 RIPPIN or Carbon compete, or Ogre 1 and 2?

Halo is my eyes lost it's prime with both Reach and Halo 4. I haven't played since I hit SR130, I feel no need, I could attempt my 50 but highest I've gotten is a 23 which is better then my 20 in Halo 3. To me a 50 in Halo 4 doesn't mean jack or as much worth as Halo 3. Already people are against BR starts for Legendary Slayer, and it strikes me that why are so many people against classic starts, against the BR when it got buffed to it's original state(ish)? Yet Infinity still tops the playlist numbers thus why 343 may consider Infinity for Halo 5 when yet a lot of people are against Infinity settings and Sprint, The fact that Halo 4 has to be modded with things like No Sprint and descope tells just how much loss Halo has had since Reach, what so much of that got removed. I say time and time again, trying to push it on Waypoint that Halo doesn't need to be modernized in order to compete with other games! Halo was never meant to compete with anything, that is the sole reason for it's unique play, for the core of it's formula that made it such a legend in the AAA franchises, that got CE the campaign of a decade and a brand new generation of mutliplayer! That Era however is lost in time and Halo being modernized may and will possibly be it's downfall. dumbing the game down to make it more rewarding for lesser skilled players, not having enough of a competitive scene to draw the old Halo pro's back in or the traditional veterans like myself back in. Frankie says he's heard us, and knows what we want, but what if that's forced out by complaints of being too traditional, too nostalgic and Halo 5 becomes an all over again Halo 4 to further bring in new generations of Halo fans and let alone the CoD community and Halo has it's grave already dug?

Is a non-modern, but just a unique classic Halo experience being brought into the franchise again too much to ask for? Or is the classic scene done forever and thus beginning an era of the hated Infinity settings? Is the competitive look on Halo lost in time or can it be brought back?

Edit, about my low level in Halo 3, yes I was a Staff Captain which I'm ashamed of, but that doesn't mean that I haven't played enough Halo to know what mechanics and features don't work. I may have not competed at the highest level but I know how Halo was back then, in it's prime and how great of a franchise it was and still can be.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the world has just gotten tired of Halo, regardless of the quality of the games.

Time has passed and people have moved on. This isnt 2008 anymore; Halo, as a whole, has gotten old.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 31

People aren't against BR starts for Legendary Slayer. From ym understanding it's the most requested thing for Legendary Slayer. People aren't against the BR buff either. People don't like the BR because of it's inconsistency, but that's a small number of peopel(including myself). The majority love the 4sk BR and don't even consider the hideous spread that it produces. 

You're right though, Halo is now mixed with people who loved Halo:CE-3 and people who started with Reach and 4. There are those who are gonna love the gimmicks that provided in the game(sprint, SR 130, etc.) and 343i decided to focus on those players more than the hardcore fans who care about the core of the game.

I think the world has just gotten tired of Halo, regardless of the quality of the games.

Time has passed and people have moved on. This isnt 2008 anymore; Halo, as a whole, has gotten old.

Can't really say that since Halo hasn't be "Halo" since Halo 3. Halo 3 was still a popular game when MW2 came out. But then Reach came out and it took away the things we loved(stuff like ranks) and added things we hate that change the game(Sprint, loadouts, etc.).

So until we actually get a proper Halo, arena shooter, i don't think it's safe to say "people are tired of Halo".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't that a good thing? I mean... we can build a Halo which can be fun and competitive.

As competitive as H2/h3
and As random... (it sounds weird but still) as Reach/H4

Can't really say that since Halo hasn't be "Halo" since Halo 3. Halo 3 was still a popular game when MW2 came out. But then Reach came out and it took away the things we loved(stuff like ranks) and added things we hate that change the game(Sprint, loadouts, etc.).

So until we actually get a proper Halo, arena shooter, i don't think it's safe to say "people are tired of Halo".

I dont think many people outside of the competitive community are as up in arms about sprint and flinch as you guys are. That's kinda what I'm getting at.

I've never heard any of the major gaming websites, or media channels on YT who reviewed the game, talk about the intricacies of "what makes a halo game." Just the fans (or at least, the angry mobs who still play a game they supposedly hate). It's easy to say "well their opinions dont matter cuz they arent true halo fans." But I think that's a completely wrong stance to take, since the continued success of this series depends on both casual and hardcore players. You have to remember that some people dont see such a divide between the original trilogy and what came after; it's all Halo to them. I'm positive there are/have been plenty of people who said "ugh, ANOTHER halo game" and didnt even give it a second look.

This is sadly a little true, I've actually heard people at my school say before "People still play Halo?" Duh!

Yep. Its hard to say when, theres people playing Halo 4 or Reach, who dont know what its like to play atleast H3. I would have loved to been into halo during Halo 1 and 2, but I was still a Ps2 kid back then, Halo 3 is the whole reason i bought an Xbox.

QFT.

I dont think many people outside of the competitive community are as up in arms about sprint and flinch as you guys are. That's kinda what I'm getting at.

I've never heard any of the major gaming websites, or media channels on YT who reviewed the game, talk about the intricacies of "what makes a halo game." Just the fans (or at least, the angry mobs who still play a game they supposedly hate). It's easy to say "well their opinions dont matter cuz they arent true halo fans." But I think that's a completely wrong stance to take, since the continued success of this series depends on both casual and hardcore players. You have to remember that some people dont see such a divide between the original trilogy and what came after; it's all Halo to them. I'm positive there are/have been plenty of people who said "ugh, ANOTHER halo game" and didnt even give it a second look.

I've noticed this aswell, from our perspective its nothing like the halo we knew and loved, but from an outsiders perspective looking in they probably think its the same as halo CE.

OP halo as a franchise is still popular but classic halo (aswell as arena shooters in general) are simply not popular anymore and the only way to really survive is to evolve, 343i had a lot of great ideas they just shoehorned them in and thats why the current halo is so downright awful.

343i will likely continue the trend that they themselves created so I doubt halo 5 will look anything like halo 1-3, accept it.

Take a chance, give the community what it wants. Screw everyone else, they will either adapt or get left behind. That's the halo I've grown up with. When I was 13-14 years old getting smacked online in halo 2, everything still was fun and felt good even tho I was getting whooped. I would take 30k players in a competive playlist rather than 500k playing some spinoff halo game

they will either adapt or get left behind. 

Well you see now that's the kind of thinking that got us here in the first place.

343 are stupid if they cater more to the Reach/H4 crowd and not the H1-3 crowd.

Compare the numbers. 100-150k played Reach as a peak pop I believe? Compare that to the previous game where H3 was pulling in 300-400k+ peak. Then you look at 30k for H4. 

The only reason (Big Team) Infinity Slayer has the biggest population in H4 is because it's the most casual/basic experience, just like in every other Halo game. It's the playlist at the top of the list where new/casual plaayers can pick it up and kinda know what's going in. 

It's not the most populated because it's fun or well received. BTB pulls like 6-7k a day and Infinity Slayer pulls in like 2-3k. (?)

Having said all that, I don't have a lot of faith that 343 will make the game classic like the original trilogy, I think we'll have some stuff from H1-3 and some stuff from HR/4. It's rare you see a game dev do a complete U-turn. 

I've never heard any of the major gaming websites, or media channels on YT who reviewed the game, talk about the intricacies of "what makes a halo game."

That's because they are clueless. But it doesn't matter - those things are still important. The things we complain about here are what make the game fun and balanced for everyone, not just competitives. And when those mechanics are flawed or missing and the game becomes shit the casuals don't know why it isn't fun - they just stop playing. Only really brainless idiots can enjoy the vision of Halo that 343i launched with.

And gaming websites are horseshit. Half of the articles are on gender identity in games instead of actual gameplay. Kotatu is always advocating for LGBTQ playable characters and never talks about Halo or CoD. So they're interested in the 0.02% of tranny gamers and ignore the 78% of FPS gamers. Don't use gaming media as a barometer of what is and isn't important.

That's because they are clueless. But it doesn't matter - those things are still important. The things we complain about here are what make the game fun and balanced for everyone, not just competitives. And when those mechanics are flawed or missing and the game becomes shit the casuals don't know why it isn't fun - they just stop playing. Only really brainless idiots can enjoy the vision of Halo that 343i launched with.

And gaming websites are horseshit. Half of the articles are on gender identity in games instead of actual gameplay. Kotatu is always advocating for LGBTQ playable characters and never talks about Halo or CoD. So they're interested in the 0.02% of tranny gamers and ignore the 78% of FPS gamers. Don't use gaming media as a barometer of what is and isn't important.

Not using it a barometer for what's important.

Just using it as an example that gamers, just in general, dont give as much of a fuck about Halo as we do. At least not like they used to.

Not using it a barometer for what's important.

Just using it as an example that gamers, just in general, dont give as much of a fuck about Halo as we do. At least not like they used to.

You missed the point of that entirely. Gamers do still care about Halo, video game media doesn't because they are obsessed with garbage. This is why video game "journalists" have spent weeks talking about the new Animal Crossing. I know Halo 4 only has 30K peak but I bet it still has more daily players than that trash.

You missed the point of that entirely. Gamers do still care about Halo, video game media doesn't because they are obsessed with garbage. This is why video game "journalists" have spent weeks talking about the new Animal Crossing. I know Halo 4 only has 30K peak but I bet it still has more daily players than that trash.

Not that there's a way to prove that, but sure, go ahead and make assumptions.

• Downvote (-1) 8

Frankie says he's heard us

This is what scares me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2lQ4ZUqFs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUptNOWTizPKjnHYLydzUWbw

I will answer the questions in your mind now: No, he is not a troll, yes, he is serious.

Look at the views, the likes, the dislikes, the amount of subscribers, at his site and his twitter followers. Look at that, its more than anyone else has in the Halo community... It is revolting, it makes me nauseous to know that this kid believes what the Halo community wants most is "The Arbiter" and that he gets 40k views for it. This is disgusting, never before has it been so clear to me why Halo is dying. I am going to end it at this: if I see "Hornets and fucking Falcons" in Halo 5 but not De-scoping, a competitive as can be ranking system and a spectator mode I am out.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I am going to end it at this: if I see "Hornets and fucking Falcons" in Halo 5 but not De-scoping, a competitive as can be ranking system and a spectator mode I am out.

This.

Sure, give the casuals their new vehicles to play around with in their Machinimas and BTB but for the love of God, listen to the competitive community, too. We're the ones who will be playing their game 2 years down the road whereas casuals will move on to other games that have new, gimmicky shit that grabs their attention. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is what scares me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2lQ4ZUqFs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUptNOWTizPKjnHYLydzUWbw

I will answer the questions in your mind now: No, he is not a troll, yes, he is serious.

Look at the views, the likes, the dislikes, the amount of subscribers, at his site and his twitter followers. Look at that, its bigger than anyone else in the Halo community... It is revolting, it makes me nauseous to know that this kid believes what the Halo community wants most is "The Arbiter." This is disgusting, never before has it been so clear to me why Halo is dying. I am going to end it at this: if I see "Hornets and fucking Falcons" in Halo 5 but not De-scoping, a competitive as can be ranking system and a spectator mode I am out.

I miss Bravo :( he's in a better place now I guess.

although I don't really think arbiter/SMG/whatever is really what halo needs to be fair the arbiter is a far better character than the MC ever was so its not like what he's saying is entirely wrong.

halo has a small youtube scene in itself so frankly I think thats probably more signifigant.

although I don't really think arbiter/SMG/whatever is really what halo needs to be fair the arbiter is a far better character than the MC ever was so its not like what he's saying is entirely wrong.

halo has a small youtube scene in itself so frankly I think thats probably more signifigant.

He is more from the STORY side of Halo Fans Not competitive. Halos Lore captures a large group of people too. Infact that is what probably got Halo 4 so many sales is because people wanted to know what happened to Master Chief

• Upvote (+1) 1

He is more from the STORY side of Halo Fans Not competitive. Halos Lore captures a large group of people too. Infact that is what probably got Halo 4 so many sales is because people wanted to know what happened to Master Chief

honestly i bought this game for the story. I wasnt expecting anything outta multiplayer after everything i saw leading up to the launch

WE HAVE 30K IN OUR GAME AND HE PUTS HORNETS AND FALCONS IN A TOP 5 OF WHAT WE WANT #SEEMYPOINT ?!

This.

Sure, give the casuals their new vehicles to play around with in their Machinimas and BTB but for the love of God, listen to the competitive community, too. We're the ones who will be playing their game 2 years down the road whereas casuals will move on to other games that have new, gimmicky shit that grabs their attention. 

Dude even the casuals loved the old competitive Halos, the numbers prove that. The problem with the casuals is that they suck too hard at the game to know what it needs and what they should want for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

as long as 343 evolves what they have now BUT ALSO LISTEN TO US we will be good. They listened to what the Comp. side wanted AND what the Waypoint community wanted...and weve gotten a much better experience.

lol @ the -rep on this mostly true post

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

lol @ the -rep on this mostly true post

Regardless of the quality of the games?

It isn't like video gaming is dying, the opposite has happened, gaming has gone mainstream.

Halo will still sell, so people clearly haven't gotten "tired" of it, they've just been disappointed with the crap we've gotten. 

Will we ever get Halo 3's massive population long term again? Probably not, because Call of Duty is much more popular now then it was in 2008. But it doesn't mean that Halo 5 if it's good can't get a significant chunk.