Sign in to follow this  
Whiz

"Beyondpedia" - a wiki for competitive Halo?

I can't help but notice how the URL TeamBeyond.net is very similar to TeamLiquid.net  ;)

For the people who don't know, Team Liquid is *the* go to site Starcraft news/discussion etc, and Beyond's goal is obviously to be just that but for Halo.

Now, one of the biggest features of TeamLiquid.net is the Liquipedia: an extensive wiki about (competitive) Starcraft 2. An extremely useful site. I've recently started watching competitive Starcraft, and thanks to this wiki I can look up everything I need to know about the players/teams/tournaments I'm watching. Read: this wiki allows me to more easily get into competitve Starcraft.

So imagine if TeamBeyond.net got a wiki about competitive Halo, a "Beyondpedia" if you will. It would be a great way to help people transition from casual to competitive Halo, and even for veterans it would be a very useful resource. Where do people go to look up how many events Ogre 2 has won? Or to check what teams Ghostayame has been on? There isn't a place for that currently. Beyondpedia could be that place.

Yes, the site is already quite amazing (great job guys), and this would be a very ambitious project to obviously be considered maybe a little bit later down the line, but it doesn't have to get as big as Liquipedia and I'm sure there would be a *ton* of people willing to contribute to it. I think it would ultimately be an awesome addition.

<3

• Upvote (+1) 7

Beautiful idea. I love it. It reminds me of the VoD section too. Players, terms, callouts, events, maps, settings, etc could all be there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hadn't even really thought of the potential of things like callouts / map guides, great idea. If people can acces all this information in one place it would be huge for the competitive community, and the Halo community in general.

Believe it or not, but "Beyondpedia" was actually a tab on the site and a feature we wanted at launch, but unfortunately, we weren't able to execute. Ever since we began talking about making a site, it was one of primary concerns, as I'm a HUGE fan and avid frequenter of TeamLiquid, especially for their homepage stream-listing and Liquipedia.

• Upvote (+1) 6

It's a matter of content. For Halo, you almost require the visual aid, and that's time consuming, but easy. For StarCraft, you can type up a build order and that's not time consuming, just difficult. Callout videos like BeyondEnt and myself created would be useful. Opening rush strategies. Ideal positioning for holding the Haven Extraction 'B Site'. How to force/predict spawns on each map. There's actually quite a bit of information that could be provided or considered useful.

If it was my decision... it'd be nice to have a user created submission form for such videos. We can make the video and submit it to the Beyond team who can then categorize it, tag it, and throw it into a list. You can search map specific videos (click 'Haven' and you get a whole list) or narrow it down with some options like "Call Outs" or "Objective".  So my old v3 videos could have been tagged with "Call Outs", "Weapon Times", "Objective", and "Movement" or something.

It'd also be interesting if videos could be embedded onto the site and have some sort of rating system... that way if I click 'Haven', the highest rated videos come up first in the list.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Believe it or not, but "Beyondpedia" was actually a tab on the site and a feature we wanted at launch, but unfortunately, we weren't able to execute. Ever since we began talking about making a site, it was one of primary concerns, as I'm a HUGE fan and avid frequenter of TeamLiquid, especially for their homepage stream-listing and Liquipedia.

I think this would be a worthwhile project that would benefit Team Beyond and the Halo community as a whole. 

It would also take an ENORMOUS amount of work an effort. The best thing to do is to let the community write the articles and then fact check them. Hopefully you'll get those individuals who take it seriously and list their sources as well. Then you could add media they possibly don't have to further validate the article

Great to see you guys looked at TeamLiquid and considered it. So there is still a possibility that it will be introduced in the future then?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I want to cosign this, it sucks that i cant go back and watch old matches easily, or the player profiles? It would be nice to see where people have gone since competitive halo. MLG used to be GREAT at saving old info.

PS man do I miss Soviet and "Soviet Mode" where before an event he would only drink gatorade, no food or anything

or anyone else remember MLG insider? i used to read that thing religiously.

Like the other staff said it was SO CLOSE. I started working on our VOD section after it didn't go through. Hopefully we can have one in the near future.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Like the other staff said it was SO CLOSE. I started working on our VOD section after it didn't go through. Hopefully we can have one in the near future.

Can I ask why it was cut? I can be completely wrong here, but I wouldn't think a wiki wouldn't be that hard to start off. Aren't they primarily community created? I think it will be fine to release an incomplete version and improve as it goes on. As long as the content is there, it'll be fine.

Can I ask why it was cut? I can be completely wrong here, but I wouldn't think a wiki wouldn't be that hard to start off. Aren't they primarily community created? I think it will be fine to release an incomplete version and improve as it goes on. As long as the content is there, it'll be fine.

We had talks with a community member who had one near completion to buy it off of him, whoever, the talks didn't fall through.

Making our own Wiki is definitely a particular interest of mine,

• Upvote (+1) 3

I talked about this too in a different thread in the forums which I really do GoBeyond can implement the wiki side to this site because It helps the casuals learn about the pros and teams I mean I for one have experienced this with competetive League of Legends and Leaguepedia and another thing I brought up in the other thread was bringing in "Custom game lobby searches" because getting 8 people into custom game lobbies can be a pain 

We had talks with a community member who had one near completion to buy it off of him, whoever, the talks didn't fall through.

Making our own Wiki is definitely a particular interest of mine,

This sounds like an awesome idea and I think aPK should do it after he finishes Countdown!  ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1