He made Starcraft 2's ladder system and worked on Black Ops 2's League play.

In short, yes, his matchmaking system will be significant because those two systems (especially Starcraft) are effective.

So does this mean we can expect some type of similar system to those? Or is everyone hoping for a Halo-esque MM system once again?

Also, can anyone explain Starcraft's system to me? I'm unfamiliar with it.

Here's the liquipedia page about SC2's system - it's pretty detailed.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Battle.net_Leagues

Basically it's a divisional system which is accurate enough to have an exclusive group for the best of the best. If you're in grandmasters you probably play at or very close to a professional level.

Personally I'm hoping for such a system rather than 1-50. Masters or Grandmasters means a lot more competitively than achieving a 50.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Honestly getting top 40 in masters for me felt a lot better than getting something like lvl 50 or 40 in mlg

Here's the liquipedia page about SC2's system - it's pretty detailed.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Battle.net_Leagues

Basically it's a divisional system which is accurate enough to have an exclusive group for the best of the best. If you're in grandmasters you probably play at or very close to a professional level.

Personally I'm hoping for such a system rather than 1-50. Masters or Grandmasters means a lot more competitively than achieving a 50.

Since when he's working on 343?  :o

Since when he's working on 343?  :o

He's been at 343 for quite a few months now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I haven't played Starcraft II or League Play, but I've heard they're fantastic competitively.

Hopefully this is a sign that 343i are placing a high priority on Halo's competitive aspect, particularly the ranking system.

Fingers crossed.

He's been at 343 for quite a few months now.

I supposed he wasn't at 343 before Halo 4's release. Like Quinn? or Quinn was at 343 before the release? IM CONFUSED!

I supposed he wasn't at 343 before Halo 4's release. Like Quinn? or Quinn was at 343 before the release? IM CONFUSED!

No, both of those people came in after Halo 4 launched.

Quinn joined 343 in February 2013.

Joshua Menke joined 343 in March 2013.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I haven't played Starcraft II or League Play, but I've heard they're fantastic competitively.

Hopefully this is a sign that 343i are placing a high priority on Halo's competitive aspect, particularly the ranking system.

Fingers crossed.

Frankies pretty much said no visible ranking system

Fingers crossed.

halo 4 did have an (invisible) ranking system so really all they really have to do is find a way to make it visible and follow frank's strict guidelines and it will be done, to be honest I hope menkey creates something far better instead.

Quinn/menke/bravo were all hired shortly after release, its a shame that they weren't there before halo 4 came out.

Frankies pretty much said no visible ranking system

Didn't he say no for Halo 4, but then went on to say that for H5, it's possible because next gen technology on the Xbox One could allow them to implement a system that prevents players from cheating/boosting etc?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Didn't he say no for Halo 4, but then went on to say that for H5, it's possible because next gen technology on the Xbox One could allow them to implement a system that prevents players from cheating/boosting etc?

Yeah something along those lines.

I'm pumped for Josh though-- even if it is 1-50 it's better than what we've seen the last 2 games.  I think we're all expecting something even better, however.  Or at least 1-50 made harder and corrected.

Yeah something along those lines.

I'm pumped for Josh though-- even if it is 1-50 it's better than what we've seen the last 2 games.  I think we're all expecting something even better, however.  Or at least 1-50 made harder and corrected.

Yeah, for sure. It's imperative that they reintroduce the divide between casuals+competitives, though.

I really want to see the return of seasonal playlists like Arena but handled a lot better. I understand play x amount of games but we shouldn't have to do that for 4-5 days to be ranked. 

Hopefully this results in a good ranking system for Halo 5. If it's anything like SC2's or BO2's ranking systems it will be awesome. 

Better be visible in game because if it's not it's pretty much useless. 

halo 4 did have an (invisible) ranking system so really all they really have to do is find a way to make it visible and follow frank's strict guidelines and it will be done, to be honest I hope menkey creates something far better instead.

That's why I'm saying; they didn't place a high enough priority on the ranking system. Frankie's "solution" to cheating and boosting also made it so that there wasn't a reason to keep playing, to keep ranking up.

If what Sam said is true, if there can be a true ranking system with Xbox One, then more power to them. But if they don't want Halo 5's population to drop so sharply like Reach's and Halo 4's, a Can See Ranks is necessary either way.

Edit: Sorry if I sounded harsh [to the developers]; it's just that there's only one basic solution to the problem, and I will be flabberghasted if they don't implement it. Truly astonished.