So many people are well aware of issues of twitch chats. Lots of people handle themselves in a fairly immature or inappropriate manner. But there is another problem I think that contributes to these problems and that is bad moderators in chats. Mods should conduct themselves in a professional manner. And many of them do a great job, they promote the streamer and they ban spammers quickly. 

But some mods abuse the power given them. Often times they will threaten people with timeouts if they disagree over whatever the topic may be, they ban people they don't personally get along with, or they talk in a demeaning way to other viewers. If people can't be polite and positive they really should just close the chat window and leave those trying to chat alone. I saw it today for example, in AGL's stream where mods were bashing on the AGL tournament. The streamer puts a level of trust in his or her mods. And when a moderator abuses the power given them it reflects badly on the Halo community as a whole and detracts from the joy of the viewers.

When people tell other people in chats things like 'go kill yourself' it really is just uncalled for. And a lot of people say "well it is a twitch chat what do you expect"? Or "it is just a chat who cares"? But this view doesn't get anyone anywhere. People need to be respectful of other's views. Let's not take a step backwards when Halo as a whole is still trying to move forwards.

Keep Calm. Stay Dersky.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Talking about it is one thing, but next time you should take some screenshots and name names, it's just as easy to remove moderators.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the mods need to timeout more people and there needs to be more mods

Talking about it is one thing, but next time you should take some screenshots and name names, it's just as easy to remove moderators.

well it is too late for screenshots but tPatttttt in Dersky's stream is what made me decide to bring this issue to the forums. 

The chat was talking about sports and he started to time out and ban people who disagreed about the level of fitness of baseball players compared to athletes of other sports.

• Upvote (+1) 2

well it is too late for screenshots but tPatttttt in Dersky's stream is what made me decide to bring this issue to the forums. 

The chat was talking about sports and he started to time out and ban people who disagreed about the level of fitness of baseball players compared to athletes of other sports.

Lolz, I left just before that. Tpat's generally pretty chill.

I did see some idiocy either this morning or yesterday, where some people were talking crap about some players and a mod got into it. Another guy said, "How many events have you placed at, X? :kappa: " and got timed out after the mod made some sort of corny "how many Twitch chats have you been banned from?" joke.

It's stupid shit like that that only pushes people to think it's okay to be an idiot in the stream, because everyone's being one regardless of the icon by their name.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lolz, I left just before that. Tpat's generally pretty chill.

I did see some idiocy either this morning or yesterday, where some people were talking crap about some players and a mod got into it. Another guy said, "How many events have you placed at, X? :kappa: " and got timed out after the mod made some sort of corny "how many Twitch chats have you been banned from?" joke.

It's stupid shit like that that only pushes people to think it's okay to be an idiot in the stream, because everyone's being one regardless of the icon by their name.

Yeah that's like exactly the kind of stuff I am talking about. Someone in the chat acts immature and starts stuff up and a mod does the exact same thing. The worst i saw was some mod named Tricho wzrd. He was in some female streamers chat, i think Vixenetta was her name. And in typical immature male fashion boys in the chat remark the streamer is attractive and he would ban them left and right. 

Stuff like that is either gonna tick people off so they leave the chat completely or they can just come back with another profile and argue more. Respect begets respect. Wish people would just be able to handle a conversation in an adult manner.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was in ninjas stream once when a mod went AWOL and banned everyone. Another mod unbanned everything the rogue did and it was impossible for ninja to figure out who did what.

Moral of the story, TAKE SCREEN SHOTS.

Complaining about those who abuse their power is pointless. Collect evidence and present it to those with the ability to act.

I think the mods need to timeout more people and there needs to be more mods

There doesn't need to be more mods. I've seen bigger streams with less mods than AGL.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can bring up situations like this but they'll probably be some excuse anyway

them mods be hatin

Are you the one that will spam on 10 different accounts in Twitch chats?

I am perma-banned in Hysteria's chat over the most pitiful reason. A mod said H2 was a shit game, and me being me, argued with him, and yeah.....

And I am also perma-banned in Clutch's stream, and I have no idea why, lol.

Also, in the chats I moderate in, I try my best not to abuse it. Some kids are just fucking ridiculous though.

I am perma-banned in Hysteria's chat over the most pitiful reason. A mod said H2 was a shit game, and me being me, argued with him, and yeah.....

And I am also perma-banned in Clutch's stream, and I have no idea why, lol.

Also, in the chats I moderate in, I try my best not to abuse it. Some kids are just fucking ridiculous though.

yeah I've been hit with a couple perma bans as well for no reason in particular.

Well the mods did a their job to filter the uneccessity negativity. I did get ban for a small amount of time but I respect what Lochie did really. Still rules should've been put in place on the AGL's twitch rules at least.

Give someone power and they will abuse. There are ppl that deserved to be punished in twitch shots and aren't and there are ppl who get punished for just having an opinion, I see it all the time and it isn't fair. The mods need to be better at their job.

Again at least they are doing something this time, unlike last event.

Seems like there is a thread about the chat mods after every event, it won't change, as there will always be mods who abuse the power. So if you want to chat you just have to be careful what you are saying.

Thing is AGL needs to get someone to watch the chat or just sub only it so it knocks out the trolls and bots that were spamming.

Thing is AGL needs to get someone to watch the chat or just sub only it so it knocks out the trolls and bots that were spamming.

The thing is that it would be sub only chat then the chat is just at bare minimum with not much talk at all #HaloisDad. Not alot of ppl subscribed to the AGL to sub only which is hard to enforce this in a way with majority of viewers don't want pitch in $5

Well the mods did a their job to filter the uneccessity negativity. I did get ban for a small amount of time but I respect what Lochie did really. Still rules should've been put in place on the AGL's twitch rules at least.

Cheers. I was hoping to not see my name cast in a negative light, although I'm sure some people feel as though it should be. Once we get our own chat going (ie. not a Twitch stream chat) I'll be working to put some better filters in place, as well as more effective banning and less moderators.

Edit: Might as well share some thoughts to get an idea of whether or not people think these would be good changes. Sort of just brainstorming...

• Filter on negativity and certain phrases that take away from the chat experience. I'm gonna get flamed for this list but oh well (ie. #haloisdad, BELIEVE... Sorry Lethul, all CAPS messages, etc.)
  • Reputation/strikes banning: If a user receives multiple neg-rep votes by mods then they will be automatically banned.
  • Filter on bad words of course, and words that other users may be offended by (for instance, hate speech that doesn't necessarily have any swears in it... This may just play into the user's reputation)
  • Lower mod count. We're seeing too many mods in the chat (I don't know why Brad mods so many people TBH, that's his decision) who stand idle while spam floods the chat. Active moderation will be key.

Remember this list is really just me thinking aloud, and isn't exhaustive nor does it represent any features currently being worked on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Cheers. I was hoping to not see my name cast in a negative light, although I'm sure some people feel as though it should be. Once we get our own chat going (ie. not a Twitch stream chat) I'll be working to put some better filters in place, as well as more effective banning and less moderators.

Edit: Might as well share some thoughts to get an idea of whether or not people think these would be good changes. Sort of just brainstorming...

• Filter on negativity and certain phrases that take away from the chat experience. I'm gonna get flamed for this list but oh well (ie. #haloisdad, BELIEVE... Sorry Lethul, all CAPS messages, etc.)
  • Reputation/strikes banning: If a user receives multiple neg-rep votes by mods then they will be automatically banned.
  • Filter on bad words of course, and words that other users may be offended by (for instance, hate speech that doesn't necessarily have any swears in it... This may just play into the user's reputation)
  • Lower mod count. We're seeing too many mods in the chat (I don't know why Brad mods so many people TBH, that's his decision) who stand idle while spam floods the chat. Active moderation will be key.

Remember this list is really just me thinking aloud, and isn't exhaustive nor does it represent any features currently being worked on.

That sounds good really. If it keeps the negativity out most of the time and keep the positive stuff in, I'm sure it will work out but hopefully this can work out in future AGL event chats.

Again Loch I respect the decision for a small time ban. I'm not gonna hate ya for that.

For me i would I love to help out mod the chat but i dont know whos active to take care of it since mod come and go when theres sudden spam.

yeah I've been hit with a couple perma bans as well for no reason in particular.

Nah man, that can't be. I heard you hardlight bans, evade bans, thruster bans, armor lock bans, and sprint away from bans all at the same damn time

It's an internet chat. If you don't like mods that abuse their power in the chat, don't go. It will literally have no outcome on the rest of your day if you don't participate.