Roosterru

Halo 2 Vista Comprehensive Installation guide by Roosterru

For those of you who didn't already know, Halo 2 Vista is free, and the servers are still up.(Thanks to Bsangel[1] and the Halo 2 community.)

Skip this portion of the guide if you want to jump right into installing/playing Halo 2 Vista and already know your system can run the game without problems

Minimum Specs:

• 2 GHz Pentium 4 Class Processor (or x64)

• 1GB of RAM Presumably DDR2 @ 600-1000MHz

• 7GB of hard drive space(the Dedicated Server and Map Editor require additional hard drive space)

• Nvidia 6100/ATI x700 video card or above

• DirectX® 9.0c or later

Resources needed to play Halo 2 Vista:

If you have any doubt at all about the safety and operation of software made available to you, do not download the software.

(By following this guide I will not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, breach of expressed or implied contract; loss of use, data or profits; business interruption; or damage to any equipment, software and/or data files)

All files provided here have been virus scanned; however, for your own protection, you should scan these files again (as you should for any file downloaded from the internet.)

CD Keys

Games for Windows Live Client

Halo 2 Vista Manual Update

MF.dll (H2V won't work without this .dll, but you can find one from anywhere online. To help verify the integrity of this file, confirm it's only 4kb in size. It must be a H2V-specific MF.dll.)

You also need the Halo 2 Client, which can be downloaded and installed in 2 different ways:

1. Borrow a disc from a friend. Apply the MF.dll, and follow instructions to apply a CD key.(I personally haven't used this method and don't know how successful it is, so try it at your own discretion.)
  2. Disclaimer: I do not condone the use of illegal torrents or the sharing of copyrighted material, you assume all responsibility downloading any and all files.

Acquire the Halo 2 Vista game files, follow standard installation, or follow given instructions.Apply the update, then the MF.dll file afterwards.

Run Halo 2 Vista, close the prompt that asks for a CD key, skip through intro cinematics. You will be asked to login to XBL, login, and paste in a CD key from the list. If the CD key doesn't work, try another key, as it's probably already been used.

XBL will work with your Gold or Silver account, you can do everything except send voice messages.

If you need help, add me on twitter: @Roosterru

Halo 2 Vista still has a decent-sized community, most of which play competitively. (10-50 online every day)

Wired controllers work with Halo 2 Vista. If you don't play Default, or want to change your button layout and don't want to use a keyboard, I recommend Joy2Key (Once again, you assume all responsibilities when downloading files online.)

If you have any questions, or liked my guide, leave a comment!

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You're being a shattered and cracked horse skeleton.

H2V is crap. 

I assume you play H4 and CoD in unison.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does Halo 2 Vista work on Windows 8?

I've heard mixed responses, you might have to try running in different compatibility modes, but I do know it's possible for some.

Does Halo 2 Vista work on Windows 8?

My brother has it on Win 8 and it runs fine. Just google around if you're having issues.

Whenever I get on theres no competitive games on. A few months ago there were but I cant find em anymore

This basically.

The closest I would usually find is like 9-person Sniper/BR FFAs on Lockout. Had some fun 1v1s back in the day though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

YOU ARE THE BEST ROOSTERUUUUUU

And yeah I haven't found competitive games but I love them sniper/br foundry matches I've jumped in.

Also, in case someone doesn't know you can always plug a wired controller into your laptop/pc and use that to play (although you will be at a disadvantage to those who use mouse/keyboard).

YOU ARE THE BEST ROOSTERUUUUUU

And yeah I haven't found competitive games but I love them sniper/br foundry matches I've jumped in.

Also, in case someone doesn't know you can always plug a wired controller into your laptop/pc and use that to play (although you will be at a disadvantage to those who use mouse/keyboard).

Not too much though. Because H2V has as much aim assist as the console version...when it's meant for keyboard and mouse. One of the reasons H2V is a god awful port.

And those people who negged me earlier have to know this also. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Not too much though. Because H2V has as much aim assist as the console version...when it's meant for keyboard and mouse. One of the reasons H2V is a god awful port.

Yeah the port was shoddy as far as pc ports go, people negged you because it seemed like you were just bashing halo 2.  Besides, the shoddyness of the port is easily look overable for me since the base game is so damn good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The aim assist makes it weird to play on keyboard/mouse imo. I'm by no means a PC gamer, but I played a lot of Counterstrike and I'm god fucking awful at Halo 2 PC with a mouse and keyboard for some reason. Lol.

The aim assist makes it weird to play on keyboard/mouse imo. I'm by no means a PC gamer, but I played a lot of Counterstrike and I'm god fucking awful at Halo 2 PC with a mouse and keyboard for some reason. Lol.

There is no way I would ever play Halo extensively with M+KB after playing with the controller so for so long especially in H2 where Claw is god and its just easier to RRX,BxR,YY,BxB,ect..

It seems like the "advantage" you get from the mouse is nullifed by easier button combos on the controller and aim assist.

There is no way I would ever play Halo extensively with M+KB after playing with the controller so for so long especially in H2 where Claw is god and its just easier to RRX,BxR,YY,BxB,ect..

It seems like the "advantage" you get from the mouse is nullifed by easier button combos on the controller and aim assist.

nah the button combos can be made much easier on pc where you can easily sit your fingers on all the required button presses.  It  just becomes a matter of timing as opposed to a matter of timing + dealing with putting your hand in an akward position. (one could actually easily make a macro bxr, bxb etc. with the touch of one button)

Also, while it is certainly a difficult learning curve to having to deal with auto aim + mouse, it ultimately becomes best, but not by too much so like I said I wouldn't even worry about it and I personally still play with controller instead.

nah the button combos can be made much easier on pc where you can easily sit your fingers on all the required button presses.  It  just becomes a matter of timing as opposed to a matter of timing + dealing with putting your hand in an akward position. (one could actually easily make a macro bxr, bxb etc. with the touch of one button)

Also, while it is certainly a difficult learning curve to having to deal with auto aim + mouse, it ultimately becomes best, but not by too much so like I said I wouldn't even worry about it and I personally still play with controller instead.

Your probably right about button combos actually being easier that is kind of lame come to think that would take alot of the skill out of executing them. Well hopefully there would be no key-board warriors macro quad'ing me  :P

Your probably right about button combos actually being easier that is kind of lame come to think that would take alot of the skill out of executing them. Well hopefully there would be no key-board warriors macro quad'ing me  :P

I never saw any button combos while I played for what it's worth, but their aiming is a tad bit better.

Bro, Can you link me to the halo 2 vista torrent you used to download it and still be able to play online in a dm or tweet?