Sign in to follow this  
shzlss

Is technology hurting Halo?

There's a couple reasons why I think this might be.

First, let me take you all back to a time when things were simpler, the CE and H2 days. Remember when you first played Halo, and there was no lag? Or, rather, input lag. The Chief moved when you told him to move, shot when you told him. It was this way for EVERYBODY because tube TVs don't have any noticeable lag. Now, fast forward to 07 when H3 came out on the 360. It's a new console, a better console. One that has improved, expanded with the rest of technology, including TV technology. Tube TVs were on their way out, and HD TVs were on their way in. The reason why this is significant is because most to all of the HD TVs that came out during H3's lifespan had some crazy input lag. It was so bad, that I moved the 360 back to the tube TV were I could actually play. My parents questioned this, wondering why we even got an HD TV if we didn't even use it. Now, here we are in 2013, and we're still encountering the same problem, the lag on a lot of the TVs is bad. Now, it isn't quite as bad as it used to be, but if you want a 50 inch TV with 5ms of lag or better, you're going to have to pay a lot to get it. I just looked at NewEgg for 50 inch HDTVs and found one with 8ms of lag for 600, one with 4ms for 1300, and one with 2ms for 2500. The jump in price is more than the average family can afford. 

Now, let me tell why I think this is important. I was talking with a new employee at work today who said he only enjoys swat in Halo and prefers Call of Duty, and was at the last MLG Dallas for Call of Duty. He games on a 50 inch HDTV, and when I asked why he doesn't like the rest of the Halo multiplayer, it wasn't no descope or sprint or AAs, it was the shields. He didn't like having to follow someone with the reticle to kill them. One shot one kill. Now hold up, before you say he's just bad at aiming, we have a station set up that has Call of Duty on it and I was watching him play, he's not bad at aiming. The reason I think he doesn't like the shields is because it is really really hard to follow someone on a laggy 50 inch TV, I've tried and I've given up. I refuse to play Halo on my parents 52 inch TV.

So, to recap: having shields means that you have to hit more than one shot to kill. Having to hit more than one shot means that you have to track your opponent, and that is really hard on a laggy TV. And, with the way things are going, I don't see this improving.

Another reason has to do with the consoles themselves. Remember the OG XBox controller? That thing was big, and I could barely hold it when the console first game out. It was hard for me to use, coming from a N46 controller. Now the 360 controller, I believe they got that one perfect. It's the perfect size and shape and lets me, with my small hands, control the Chief better that if I had plugged in an OG controller. I'm not sure, it could just be me, but I think some, maybe not a lot, but some of the difficulty of CE and H2 came from the controller itself. Learning how to use it, how to stretch my hands hit all the buttons. I think the hardware had a learning curve as well as the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I see your points. 

Gotta say though that Xbox Party chat damn ruined the online Halo experience for me. In Halo 2 and early Halo 3 it seemed like everyone had a mic. All I played in halo 2 was BTB pretty much and everyone, all 16 players, had microphones in completely random matchmaking parties. Was great. Now, it seems nobody plugs in a mic, or if they do they are in a party chat anyway. Ruins potential for trash talk/callouts and stuff. 

I hate you party chat. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see what you're saying as well, but i think your main problem is you're trying to play on too big of a TV.  I'm not a whiz on TV's and how lag is affected by the size, but im pretty positive, the bigger the TV, the more laggy it tends to be.  There are a ton of monitors/TV's out there that are reasonably priced, and made specifically for gaming. Try looking into a BenQ or Asus.  And as far as a size, people play on screens that are only around 22-27 inches.

I play on a 26 inch screen and it doesnt lag at all, or at least it isnt noticeable anymore.  I had the same problem as you back in the halo 2 moving to halo 3 days as well.  Some of my friends got HD TV's and I remember playing CoD on them when CoD 4/WaW and even Mw2 were relevant and I couldnt do it because I did so shitty on them compared to my tube TV at home.  I finally switched over to playing on my 26 HD TV just about 2 years ago, and it's fine for me now.

As long as you find the right size/product, you should be alright

The of the advantages of having really large hands is that you NO issues with large controllers.

I remember that several people got wireless duke controllers compatible with the 360 from 343i (I think they got them from something at HaloFest). I want to use that controller! lol

I strictly play tube TV's to this day. Absolutely refuse to game on anything else; unless reaction times dont matter.

It sucks lugging those things around for lans, but necessary. I will never game on a monitor/HDTV.

I see what you're saying as well, but i think your main problem is you're trying to play on too big of a TV.  I'm not a whiz on TV's and how lag is affected by the size, but im pretty positive, the bigger the TV, the more laggy it tends to be.  There are a ton of monitors/TV's out there that are reasonably priced, and made specifically for gaming. Try looking into a BenQ or Asus.  And as far as a size, people play on screens that are only around 22-27 inches.

I play on a 26 inch screen and it doesnt lag at all, or at least it isnt noticeable anymore.  I had the same problem as you back in the halo 2 moving to halo 3 days as well.  Some of my friends got HD TV's and I remember playing CoD on them when CoD 4/WaW and even Mw2 were relevant and I couldnt do it because I did so shitty on them compared to my tube TV at home.  I finally switched over to playing on my 26 HD TV just about 2 years ago, and it's fine for me now.

As long as you find the right size/product, you should be alright

I'm not saying this is my problem. I have 2 monitors, a 22 inch and a 24 inch and game on those. I went straight from a 32 inch tube TV to a monitor in H3. What I'm saying, is that the Halo formula doesn't work on large/laggy TVs. That if most people played CE multiplayer on a current, large, laggy TV, they'd perceive it as a bad game

I'm not saying this is my problem. I have 2 monitors, a 22 inch and a 24 inch and game on those. I went straight from a 32 inch tube TV to a monitor in H3. What I'm saying, is that the Halo formula doesn't work on large/laggy TVs. That if most people played CE multiplayer on a current, large, laggy TV, they'd perceive it as a bad game

I'm not sure what you tube channel is was on, But they had a theory that the current gen games are dumbed down and made easy due to input lag on modern TV's and monitors. They tried playing a Mario game (forgot which one) and it was completely unplayable on anything other than a tube TV.

I'm not sure what you tube channel is was on, But they had a theory that the current gen games are dumbed down and made easy due to input lag on modern TV's and monitors. They tried playing a Mario game (forgot which one) and it was completely unplayable on anything other than a tube TV.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking that in order to make a "good" game, they have to purposefully make it "bad" so the terrible equipment can handle it.

to be honest what I was expecting was different from what you actually said...

there are always pros and cons to every piece of technology, as an example someone mention how party chat ruined MP, thats true but it made SP much more entertaining because you now have company instead of just playing alone, so yeah although there are definitely some negatives when it comes to technology there are also plenty of benefits that even it out.

one thing that I've been thinking about (and what I eluded to earlier) is that technology has been increasing at an exponential rate and although this is good on many levels coming from a gaming perspective its bad because games like halo will look outdated in a decade or so, its just something to think about really.

What did you think I was going to say?

What did you think I was going to say?

there are always pros and cons to every piece of technology, as an example someone mention how party chat ruined MP, thats true but it made SP much more entertaining because you now have company instead of just playing alone, so yeah although there are definitely some negatives when it comes to technology there are also plenty of benefits that even it out.

one thing that I've been thinking about (and what I eluded to earlier) is that technology has been increasing at an exponential rate and although this is good on many levels coming from a gaming perspective its bad because games like halo will look outdated in a decade or so, its just something to think about really.

bold.

Tube TV master-race  :P

What your saying is so true though, a huge HDTV is horrible for any MP shooter but for Halo its virtually unplayable if you want to do good whereas other games where prolonged accuracy is not as important, may be able to be played on higher resolution HDTV's/a wider range of TV's. I am guessing the average "casual" gamer games on the bigger HDTV you are talking about because they dont know any better or normally play single-player games where you would want the best quality HDTV to game on.

I was talking with a new employee at work today who said he only enjoys swat in Halo and prefers Call of Duty, and was at the last MLG Dallas for Call of Duty. He games on a 50 inch HDTV, and when I asked why he doesn't like the rest of the Halo multiplayer, it wasn't no descope or sprint or AAs, it was the shields. He didn't like having to follow someone with the reticle to kill them.

And yet kill times keep getting longer and longer, exacerbating this issue.

But yes, crappy TVs are hurting halo. Such a shame that SED got stuck in litigation for so many years. It would have been the best of both worlds.

And here I am playing on a 40+ inch tv.   :(   

I do what I can.

That's not really your fault. It's just a sad truth (I think) that skilled FPS games are really hard on today's TVs. The focus of the TV is to bring the cinema home, not to provide the ultimate gaming experience. 

Also, with laptops and phones taking over PCs, people don't even have monitors that they could use just to play one set of games. I mean, I don't know anyone that doesn't play PC games or edit video that has a PC

I'm pretty sure that LCD/LED/etc. TVs are just laggy by their very nature and that, really, there isn't anything that can be done about decreasing the latency. For instance, I'm pretty sure that what companies report on as their input lag is only one specific variable of the equation.